Why Do You Celebrate?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Why do you celebrate?
Why do you celebrate?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:50:29
Link | Citer | R

I assumed most churches paid for their own nativity scenes.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:51:38
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:

like I said earlier, churches can do what they damn well please, I was speaking of public property and public funding.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:52:48
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Christmas makes me feel good by buying gifts for people I care about, so as I said earlier, suck it. (I won't pretend I don't like getting gifts).

Unrelated:

'Consumerism' helps the economy so many of you seem to *** and moan about.

Hm...I don't really think anyone was saying Christmas should be cancelled, lol...perhaps I misread the previous posts, but I thought the point that was raised was simply that taxpayers shouldn't be forced to pay for blatantly religious displays on public property.

Conversely, I imagine religious taxpayers would not be happy about being forced to contribute to atheist signs and symbols, so in all reality, the government should be taking a position of neutrality.

Just seems to make sense. 8)

Let me start off by saying I'm not religious. I don't believe in Christianity I'm Agnostic.

But to me, if you remove the religious aspect of Christmas you kill it. Yes I know it started off as a pagan holiday, and yes I know people celebrate a totally religion free Christmas (Or X-mas would be more appropriate) every year. But for me, I love seeing the nativity scene in my local town, I love the Christmas carols sung in my local towns too.

To me, take away the religious aspect and Christmas becomes devoid of a soul.

if you want the scene, then you put the funds to have it on your property, christmas =/= nativity scenes.

Nope. I'll enjoy and do what I like. Feel free to petition the stop of it though, I'll be on the other side petitioning to keep it.

government and public places should be secular, to say otherwise just proves how ignorant you are.

I disagree.

well when you live in the U.S. to where our nation was founded on the idea that there's a separation of the two,you'll think differently.

Nope.

I'm pretty sure nothing will make me think differently, as it is my subjective opinion.

Also, I never claimed I'm not selfish. And I don't know how it works with you, but our churches pay for their own nativity scene.

learn to read, kay, thanks. People tend to think differently when they're allowed freedoms than when they've never had them.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:53:08
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

like I said earlier, churches can do what they damn well please, I was speaking of public property and public funding.

You do realise that most public nativity scenes are also paid for by charity events and church fund-raisers? Well if they don't in the USA, I'm sorry you don't live in a multicultural country.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:54:24
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Christmas makes me feel good by buying gifts for people I care about, so as I said earlier, suck it. (I won't pretend I don't like getting gifts).

Unrelated:

Hm...I don't really think anyone was saying Christmas should be cancelled, lol...perhaps I misread the previous posts, but I thought the point that was raised was simply that taxpayers shouldn't be forced to pay for blatantly religious displays on public property.

Conversely, I imagine religious taxpayers would not be happy about being forced to contribute to atheist signs and symbols, so in all reality, the government should be taking a position of neutrality.

Let me start off by saying I'm not religious. I don't believe in Christianity I'm Agnostic.

But to me, if you remove the religious aspect of Christmas you kill it. Yes I know it started off as a pagan holiday, and yes I know people celebrate a totally religion free Christmas (Or X-mas would be more appropriate) every year. But for me, I love seeing the nativity scene in my local town, I love the Christmas carols sung in my local towns too.

if you want the scene, then you put the funds to have it on your property, christmas =/= nativity scenes.

Nope. I'll enjoy and do what I like. Feel free to petition the stop of it though, I'll be on the other side petitioning to keep it.

government and public places should be secular, to say otherwise just proves how ignorant you are.

I disagree.

well when you live in the U.S. to where our nation was founded on the idea that there's a separation of the two,you'll think differently.

Nope.

I'm pretty sure nothing will make me think differently, as it is my subjective opinion.

Also, I never claimed I'm not selfish. And I don't know how it works with you, but our churches pay for their own nativity scene.

learn to read, kay, thanks. People tend to think differently when they're allowed freedoms than when they've never had them.

What freedoms have I lacked from living in the UK? Freedom of speech? Nope pretty sure I can go and say anything I want about anything. Are you honestly that arrogant to think the USA is the only free country in the world?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:56:21
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

You do realise that most public nativity scenes are also paid for by charity events and church fund-raisers? Well if they don't in the USA, I'm sorry you don't live in a multicultural country.

still shouldn't be allowed on public property, unless they're going to buy/rent the property. Also ha on your last part...
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:57:04
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

I disagree.

Nope.

What freedoms have I lacked from living in the UK? Freedom of speech? Nope pretty sure I can go and say anything I want about anything. Are you honestly that arrogant to think the USA is the only free country in the world?

I was talking separation of church and state there guy.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:57:30
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

still shouldn't be allowed on public property, unless they're going to buy/rent the property. Also ha on your last part...

I disagree.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:59:51
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I disagree.

well then you're a ***.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:00:18
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

I disagree.

Nope.

Make yourself clearer next time.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:00:44
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I disagree.

well then you're a ***.

I also disagree.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 03:02:47
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

learn some reasoning skills? you forcing your religion on public property that's paid for by the whole is being a ***.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:04:41
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

learn some reasoning skills? you forcing your religion on public property that's paid for by the whole is being a ***.

I disagree. Again, feel free to petition against it.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 03:07:24
Link | Citer | R

it's no different than going to school and demanding everyone pray with you, and I guarantee if you'd try to do it here I'll sue you. I hope your country will pull it's head out of it's religious *** some day (last I checked they were still a church-state of sorts, may be wrong)
 Bahamut.Gimmeurselables
user: Loltron
By Bahamut.Gimmeurselables 2010-12-23 03:09:44
Link | Citer | R

First I'd like to give a shout-out to my *** Jesus, I love you mang, represent.

Secondly, Merry Christmas to all you haters out there! Hope you're holidays are full of happiness :]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:10:56
Link | Citer | R

It's entirely different, but I don't expect you to understand why as you have a singular mind when it comes to anything religious, and quite frankly I don't have the patience to explain something that you'll never understand.

But if you don't like nativity scenes in your country, why don't you sue the people putting them up? I mean surely it would be simple.

Or I guess you could complain about it on a forum for a game, I'm sure that gets your righteous message across too.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 03:12:59
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
It's entirely different, but I don't expect you to understand why as you have a singular mind when it comes to anything religious, and quite frankly I don't have the patience to explain something that you'll never understand.

But if you don't like nativity scenes in your country, why don't you sue the people putting them up? I mean surely it would be simple.

Or I guess you could complain about it on a forum for a game, I'm sure that gets your righteous message across too.

it's not different at all. No different than when they removed the 10 commandments from a (Georgia?) courthouse, it's public property, religion needs to gtfo.

Religion and government need to be separate, I'm sorry you don't and apparently won't ever understand that concept.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 03:13:34
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Gimmeurselables said:
First I'd like to give a shout-out to my *** Jesus, I love you mang, represent.

Secondly, Merry Christmas to all you haters out there! Hope you're holidays are full of happiness :]

Happy Holidays to you.
By Artemicion 2010-12-23 03:14:15
Link | Citer | R

All this talk of Jesus reminded me of this :3

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:14:33
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

it's not different at all. No different than when they removed the 10 commandments from a (Georgia?) courthouse, it's public property, religion needs to gtfo.

Religion and government need to be separate, I'm sorry you don't and apparently won't ever understand that concept.

Thanks for proving my point.

And again:

"But if you don't like nativity scenes in your country, why don't you sue the people putting them up? I mean surely it would be simple."
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:15:27
Link | Citer | R

Also I'm glad you toned down the insults to religious people Jet, at least I know you can be civil now that a mod stepped in.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 03:16:46
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

And again:

"But if you don't like nativity scenes in your country, why don't you sue the people putting them up? I mean surely it would be simple."

when I see one in a public place I'll let you know, but for now most of the time I see them they are in their proper place, churches and private homes.

You proved no point though, government and religion need to be separate, that's the point.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:18:04
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

And again:

when I see one in a public place I'll let you know, but for now most of the time I see them they are in their proper place, churches and private homes.

You proved no point though, government and religion need to be separate, that's the point.

Again you assume all situations are the same, but like I said, this doesn't surprise me.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 03:18:24
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Also I'm glad you toned down the insults to religious people Jet, at least I know you can be civil now that a mod stepped in.

I prefer to laugh in your face than to just laugh at you though. I'm sorry that you're too much of a pussy to be laughed at though, that you had to go be a cry-baby about it.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 03:19:35
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

And again:

Again you assume all situations are the same, but like I said, this doesn't surprise me.

It doesn't matter the situation when it comes to religion and government, they need to stay seperate AT ALL TIMES. However I proved your point wrong in even suggesting that they could rent the properties, but then it becomes at their cost, not mine. Don't request me to fund your nonsense.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:19:44
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I prefer to laugh in your face than to just laugh at you though. I'm sorry that you're too much of a pussy to be laughed at though, that you had to go be a cry-baby about it.

Well clearly you've learned that there's a way to debate religion and yours was wrong, otherwise you would still be consistently laughing in everyone faces.

Like I said, I'm glad you can be civil.
 Fairy.Spence
Serveur: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-12-23 03:20:37
Link | Citer | R

C'mon guys,

I certainly hope you don't celebrate Christmas to argue with eachother.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 03:20:57
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Well clearly you've learned that there's a way to debate religion and yours was wrong, otherwise you would still be consistently laughing in everyone faces.

Like I said, I'm glad you can be civil.

I disagree, and you and your kind deserve no civility, as you are not civil yourselves.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 03:21:23
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

And again:

It doesn't matter the situation when it comes to religion and government, they need to stay seperate AT ALL TIMES. However I proved your point wrong in even suggesting that they could rent the properties, but then it becomes at their cost, not mine. Don't request me to fund your nonsense.

I'm sorry. I find the distaste of militant atheists a non important issue. If the situation had real ramifications then I may think differently. Until then, feel free to petition against it.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8