Why Do You Celebrate?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Why do you celebrate?
Why do you celebrate?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-22 18:37:17
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mankey said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Fenrir.Mankey said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Yay he knows it's about culture. Pretty much what I have said for a year on these forums now. I almost respect this guy for not being a dumbass.

Anyways, I only celebrate it cause my mom likes it and that's what you do when you're respectful. I have always felt that these halmark holidays were insincere and didn't mean ***. Sort of like how valentine's day isn't romantic; it is cliche beyond belief.
I stopped liking Christmas as much after I got a job.
But now that I'm older I like giving presents as well :/
I dunno.
Makes me feel like I'm paying him back for so many Christmas pasts-s
100% the same feeling Vinvv, did you work retail as well? -_- *** Elmo dude... and... every time i see your avi's they make me feel like its Christmas every day because that show is that good....
I didn't work retail but I did work in grocery when I was 15/16.
elmo is crazy lol.
i'm sad they didn't come out with another christmas episode this year though.
They didn't pay the troll toll :(
they gotes to take care of the babbeh.
 Bismarck.Toabea
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Enygma3
By Bismarck.Toabea 2010-12-22 18:45:44
Link | Citer | R

Christmas is stupid, the religious part of it anyway, you can celebrate it better if your not religious. Besides, any thinking person KNOWS there is NO GOD. At least not the gods we have put a label on thus far(insert the 3 abrahamic gods).
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2010-12-22 18:47:19
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Toabea said:
Christmas is stupid, the religious part of it anyway, you can celebrate it better if your not religious. Besides, any thinking person KNOWS there is NO GOD. At least not the gods we have put a label on thus far(insert the 3 abrahamic gods).

to me *** atheists are worse than persistent, ignorant, and annoying creationists

just wanted to say that
[+]
 Fenrir.Mankey
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-12-22 18:47:31
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Toabea said:
Any thinking person knows not to speak with complete certainty.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-12-22 18:49:35
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Cossack said:
I love Christmas, its a day for coming together with the people you love. If your pissed off or disenfranchised don't blame the holiday or the icons, blame your own damn self. Its easy to hide the shame of your own meaningless existence behind a shroud of cynicism, but its your lack of belief in even the simple pleasures in life that make you unhappy. Quit pissing on people just because they choose to accept the goodness you disdain.

Well said.

One of my favorite Christmas moments was the year those stupid Furbys came out. I was working for K B Toys at the time, and got my hands on 2 black ones (apparently we're desirable and I can tell you from opening and pricing them they were rare.)

I decided I was going to make some quick bucks selling them to some desperate family.

Long story short we met the buyer at a local gas station one cold night a couple days before Christmas. It was a really cold night and the whole family showed up in a really beat up car, with parents just seemingly happy they found what their kids really wanted. I could of sold them for about 3 times what I bought them for, but told them I'd lower the price to what I bought them for so they can have a Merry Christmas.

Also the one time I scaled a mountain of boxes in the stock room to find a stray toy someone said they were desperately looking for. The look of join, suprise and relief on the parent's face was reward enough that day.
[+]
 Caitsith.Enygma
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Enygma 2010-12-22 19:00:25
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mankey said:
Bismarck.Toabea said:

He didn't, he said AT LEAST the 3 abrahamic gods and id have to agree. Religion expecially those 3 are full of ***. There is NOTHING about religion that makes sense. And it's so shamelessly made up, any idiot can tell. Yes, you can never be completely certain that there isn't a spooky father figure making sure your good or bad, but we don't get our morals from him.

The 3 abrahamic religions are a sore on the backside of the progression of mankind. It's not a ***, its an honest thing.

If your atheist you can't hold public office in 13 of the U.S. states, no matter how good of a candidite you are. You can't join the boyscouts(which is a national funded organization, not a religious one). You are told condoms are bad in a world filled with aids, and birth control is bad in a world overrun with people.

Religious people are the ones pushing to enhibit stem-cell research, and want to strip the woman's right to stop abortion and make it illegal.

Separating the fact that the U.S. was not founded on religion, but anti-religion, and secularism. One nation under god wasn't added to the pledge of allegeance until the 1950's neither was "In god we trust" on money. These are the people who want to force you to say it in school, push to teach creationism aside evolution as it was an accredited science field, which it isn't.

Point is, religion effects everyone's life, regardless of your denomination. I personally wouldn't care what you believe if you kept it to yourself, but religious people don't(and yes i understand not all religious people do this, but religion as a whole is doing it).

In conclusion, even if I were religious, christmas is definatly not a religious holiday anymore, it is consumer based and just an excuse to get presents and hang out with your family(which most people ignore for the most part).

Edit: my spelling is worse than my hatred for religion, i know...
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-12-22 19:08:11
Link | Citer | R

when I was young: I enjoyed receiving presents.
starting 10 or so years ago: I enjoyed giving presents.
now: I get to spend time with family... and my wife makes us celebrate :)

The past 3-4 years I've become more and more bahumbug about xmas, it really has nothing to do with the fact that I'm atheist. I never want anything from anyone anymore and I don't like seeing all my friends and family spending money on each other when they could be saving it.
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-12-22 19:11:15
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Enygma said:
Fenrir.Mankey said:
Bismarck.Toabea said:

He didn't, he said AT LEAST the 3 abrahamic gods and id have to agree. Religion expecially those 3 are full of ***. There is NOTHING about religion that makes sense. And it's so shamelessly made up, any idiot can tell. Yes, you can never be completely certain that there isn't a spooky father figure making sure your good or bad, but we don't get our morals from him.

The 3 abrahamic religions are a sore on the backside of the progression of mankind. It's not a ***, its an honest thing.

If your atheist you can't hold public office in 13 of the U.S. states, no matter how good of a candidite you are. You can't join the boyscouts(which is a national funded organization, not a religious one). You are told condoms are bad in a world filled with aids, and birth control is bad in a world overrun with people.

Religious people are the ones pushing to enhibit stem-cell research, and want to strip the woman's right to stop abortion and make it illegal.

Separating the fact that the U.S. was not founded on religion, but anti-religion, and secularism. One nation under god wasn't added to the pledge of allegeance until the 1950's neither was "In god we trust" on money. These are the people who want to force you to say it in school, push to teach creationism aside evolution as it was an accredited science field, which it isn't.

Point is, religion effects everyone's life, regardless of your denomination. I personally wouldn't care what you believe if you kept it to yourself, but religious people don't(and yes i understand not all religious people do this, but religion as a whole is doing it).

In conclusion, even if I were religious, christmas is definatly not a religious holiday anymore, it is consumer based and just an excuse to get presents and hang out with your family(which most people ignore for the most part).

Edit: my spelling is worse than my hatred for religion, i know...
I don't believe in god in the least but I really don't understand why atheist speak like their way is the only way. (Which is the same thing they HATE religious people for) You really shouldn't give a *** if some one has faith, or another does not. The one area you are 100% correct on is the fact our government truly needs to drop its "Christian/True American" *** that does stop things like stem cell research from becoming a reality, and if you have only briefly looked into stem cell research, you should really read into how groundbreaking/amazing it is.....
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-12-22 19:21:07
Link | Citer | R

Most intelligent Atheists/Agnostics don't care if someone has faith or not, it's when we're persecuted by those who are religious, or have people constantly trying to shove their ideals and faith down our throat that becomes a problem. I'll generally just let people be, but I will not sit there and just take their rantings, nor will I allow them to force their ***down my throat. Live and let live, but if you try to push ***on me, I will turn into the hostile Atheist/Agnostic and I promise I will put you in an uncomfortable position.

The majority of Atheists/Agnostics you actually see online (or IRL), are those who set a bad example, the rest of us hold a very live and let live attitude and generally just don't involve ourselves in it outright (though even the most controlled person occasionally finds something that pushes just the right button and they are compelled to involve themselves).
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-12-22 19:27:29
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:

Most intelligent Atheists/Agnostics don't care if someone has faith or not, it's when we're persecuted by those who are religious, or have people constantly trying to shove their ideals faith down our throat that becomes a problem. I'll generally just let people be, but I will not sit there and just take their rantings, nor will I allow them to force their ***down my throat. Live and let live, but if you try to push ***on me, I will turn into the hostile Atheist/Agnostic and I promise I will put you in an uncomfortable position.
How I am, I will even take grandma to church, but the second some one attempts to turn me into a believer I get slightly hostile, but still find myself keeping my composure out of respect for the church. No matter how hostile they may get on my beliefs, I will try and keep that level headed tone.
By Enygma3 2010-12-22 19:31:58
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Most intelligent Atheists/Agnostics don't care if someone has faith or not, it's when we're persecuted by those who are religious, or have people constantly trying to shove their ideals and faith down our throat that becomes a problem. I'll generally just let people be, but I will not sit there and just take their rantings, nor will I allow them to force their ***down my throat. Live and let live, but if you try to push ***on me, I will turn into the hostile Atheist/Agnostic and I promise I will put you in an uncomfortable position. The majority of Atheists/Agnostics you actually see online (or IRL), are those who set a bad example, the rest of us hold a very live and let live attitude and generally just don't involve ourselves in it outright (though even the most controlled person occasionally finds something that pushes just the right button and they are compelled to involve themselves).

I couldn't have said it better, in fact, i don't think i did.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-12-22 19:50:27
Link | Citer | R

Gifts.
 Bismarck.Rinako
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-12-22 20:02:30
Link | Citer | R

Christmas has turned into such a commercial holiday it has no religious meaning to me or a lot of people regardless of how it was started or where it was started. It's no different then Valentines day with how commercial it is in today's world. The people who argue they had it first etc etc is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE cause we all know it was a Pagan holiday first it was just adapted and now more and more people celebrate it due to how it has been commercialized not really because it has any real meaning to them.

How come Christmas has to be thought of as Religious? Just because Christians instantly labeled it as Jesus's Birthday it's instantly super religious? It's no different then Valentine's Day or any other Holiday imo; you just get lots more gifts.

Holidays can change meaning just like words.

I celebrate all holidays because I enjoy having parties and hanging out with my family. Hell I even host a party on Superbowl Sunday without even watching the Superbowl. Why do you have to have a reason to celebrate stuff? It's just fun to do unless you're a bum and like being left alone forever :O
By AsuraVanzan 2010-12-22 20:26:31
Link | Citer | R

Happy birthday Jesus
 Bismarck.Toabea
By Bismarck.Toabea 2010-12-22 20:47:31
Link | Citer | R

AsuraVanzan said:
Happy birthday Jesus

It's not his birthday, do your research and stop listening to everyone and what they told you when you were 5.
[+]
 Caitsith.Enygma
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Enygma 2010-12-22 20:47:52
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Toabea said:
AsuraVanzan said:
Happy birthday Jesus
It's not his birthday, do your research and stop listening to everyone and what they told you when you were 5.

lol pwned!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-22 20:51:42
Link | Citer | R

AsuraVanzan said:
Happy birthday Jesus
You're about 3 months too late.
Jesus was born around September 29th, 5 B.C.
By Artemicion 2010-12-22 20:52:04
Link | Citer | R

Giving gifts, trees, presents, egg nog, cookies, family, warmth in one's home.
Good enough for me to be in good spirits :D
 Asura.Calatilla
Serveur: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-12-22 20:58:13
Link | Citer | R

World sock giving day, all I ever seem to get is socks :(
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-12-22 21:17:56
Link | Citer | R

Gotta try this out this year:
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with pecan nuts and sweetened flaked coconut.
 Kujata.Akeda
Serveur: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-12-22 21:25:09
Link | Citer | R

FOR FREE STUFF!
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-12-22 21:42:50
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
You being serious? sounds good, PM me the recipe :O!
 Bismarck.Tuvae
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2010-12-22 21:48:24
Link | Citer | R

Cuz im dragged into it. I dont really celebrate, i just turn up cuz my GFs family are very family oriented.
By Artemicion 2010-12-22 21:52:17
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mankey said:
Artemicion said:

Gonna bake some this payday, I'll make a xmas recipie thread when I do.
Also my folks are making this pork roast with this garlic encrusted bacon wrap thingy around. Mouth is watering already D:
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-12-22 22:22:50
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Fenrir.Mankey said:
Artemicion said:

Also my folks are making this pork roast with this garlic encrusted bacon wrap thingy around. Mouth is watering already D:
I'm coming over :X
 Bahamut.Serj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-12-22 22:35:37
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mankey said:
Artemicion said:
Fenrir.Mankey said:
Artemicion said:

I'm coming over :X

Me too!

Edit: Mankey! I miss you ;_;
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-12-22 23:04:08
Link | Citer | R

Serj MSN me moar :O and... might go see Plant perform, idk if hes playing his ***country music or some good ol' rock though :X
By AsuraVanzan 2010-12-22 23:09:04
Link | Citer | R

I could care less if His real birthday was July 4, that's not the point. Dec 25 is the day that has been set aside to celebrate the birth of my savior Jesus Christ, if you wanna flame go for it. The very name of Jesus has brought ridicule to all that call him savior from day one on the first Christmas. You may count it loss to be ridiculed for your faith or the lack of but I don't. I say Merry Christmas to everyone, even the non believer.
 Asura.Poupee
Serveur: Asura
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-12-22 23:11:07
Link | Citer | R

AsuraVanzan said:
I could care less if His real birthday was July 4, that's not the point. Dec 25 is the day that has been set aside to celebrate the birth of my savior Jesus Christ, if you wanna flame go for it. The very name of Jesus has brought ridicule to all that call him savior from day one on the first Christmas. You may count it loss to be ridiculed for your faith or the lack of but I don't. I say Merry Christmas to everyone, even the non believer.
I thought july 4 was when the declaration of Independence was signed and when we celebrate our mother homeland of america.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-12-22 23:14:08
Link | Citer | R

AsuraVanzan said:

lol
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8