COR Vs BRD In Meripo.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » COR vs BRD in Meripo.
COR vs BRD in Meripo.
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
 Bahamut.Haublice
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Haublice 2009-04-28 09:24:18
Link | Citer | R

I leveled COR when it first came out for the simple reason, fast merit invites yet can get by without having to pull. Recently for the last week or so every invite i have had is COR + BRD and yet the pt wants me to pull. With the delay of my gun, plus timers on Light Shot and losing the DD power of Slugshot, i dont understand why COR makes a better puller over BRD, any ideas?
[+]
 Asura.Endelig
Serveur: Asura
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-28 09:26:07
Link | Citer | R

It doesn't?
[+]
 Kujata.Houshisama
Serveur: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-04-28 09:34:02
Link | Citer | R

pt is stupid?
[+]
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2009-04-28 09:34:37
Link | Citer | R

Stupid people are stupid, COR are there to fix BRD ***, and supplement our buffs with their own.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-04-28 09:41:37
Link | Citer | R

Endelig said:
It doesn't?

Houshisama said:
pt is stupid?

Kajidourden said:
Stupid people are stupid, COR are there to fix BRD ***, and supplement our buffs with their own.

{Fact}

BRD is probably the best puller in general, especially at 75, because after they sing their songs, they're basically reduced to standing still >.> So with a high success rate Sleep that can't be interrupted without moving, stunning or silence, they can fill a pulling role amazingly well, without wasting valuable time in a PT! Assuming the BRD can keep up 2~4 songs without too many issues, then pulling is the perfect way to keep a BRD busy and speed up your PT's EXP in general.

Any PT that has a BRD and COR and tells the COR to pull is one I'd seriously rethink their capabilities. I've never had a COR puller in one of my PT's as BRD or WAR, and if I have a BRD in PT, I'd prefer the COR to be sitting thinking about when their next roll is ready >.>
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-28 10:05:29
Link | Citer | R

Actually, in an extremely high powered party @ birds I can see why you would want the Cor to pull. It all depends on how the pt is setup. Rdm/sub, brd/whm, cor/nin, DD,DD,DD would be fine. Have the cor actually use one of the AU throwing items to pull instead of a gun, since in this setup the cor would not be DD'n at all.

Nobody take this as an acceptable pt setup for the general merit pt, but in a situation like x3 sam/war using poles and full time hasso you need a secondary healer.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2009-04-28 10:16:03
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:
Actually, in an extremely high powered party @ birds I can see why you would want the Cor to pull. It all depends on how the pt is setup. Rdm/sub, brd/whm, cor/nin, DD,DD,DD would be fine. Have the cor actually use one of the AU throwing items to pull instead of a gun, since in this setup the cor would not be DD'n at all.

Nobody take this as an acceptable pt setup for the general merit pt, but in a situation like x3 sam/war using poles and full time hasso you need a secondary healer.

Wouldnt it still be better for the BRD to pull with Elegy? Thought that was like half the point of having them pull. Plus unless its a taru, or a well geared (as you mentioned) /whm brd... not gonna have too much mp ( i know on my BRD i can Cure III... twice? lol)
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2009-04-28 10:18:48
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:
It all depends on how the pt is setup. Rdm/sub, brd/whm, cor/nin, DD,DD,DD would be fine. Have the cor actually use one of the AU throwing items to pull instead of a gun, since in this setup the cor would not be DD'n at all.

BRD can use the IS throwing weapons, too. Who cares if the BRD has TP? COR can actually do something useful with their TP.
[+]
 Bahamut.Haublice
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Haublice 2009-04-28 10:21:11
Link | Citer | R

If the mage in pt with BRD+COR cannot keep up with all the refresh it sucks, if the BRD is subbing WHM all he is doing is standing around and buffing. Doesnt it make sense to have COR DD and in the BRD's free time to pull since he just gonna be standing around anyways?
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-28 10:25:30
Link | Citer | R

You both miss the point. If your in such a pt where you are killing the mobs faster than they can repop with 3 DD, adding more damage from the Cor isn't going to help anything.

My wifes brd when gearing for MP (which she does quite often in two brd pt's) sits at around 700-800 mp which I admit is very high for a brd.

Elegy is useless in bird pt's and I'd rather the brd pull with threnody than elegy.

Like I said, this is a very unique situation, but just pointing out one that cor would be better used as the puller over the brd.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-28 10:27:30
Link | Citer | R

Haublice said:
If the mage in pt with BRD+COR cannot keep up with all the refresh it sucks, if the BRD is subbing WHM all he is doing is standing around and buffing. Doesnt it make sense to have COR DD and in the BRD's free time to pull since he just gonna be standing around anyways?

Try pt'ing with 3 Sam/War full timing Hasso (NO seigan ever) and keeping serk up whenever possible and see if you can keep up with that on rdm.
 Hades.Celdryn
Serveur: Hades
user: Celdryn
By Hades.Celdryn 2009-04-28 10:43:13
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:

Elegy is useless in bird pt's and I'd rather the brd pull with threnody than elegy.

Pulling with Threnody is dumb unless you have super windower macros that can change your gear right as you cast. The only reason I even pull with Elegy is because it doesnt freeze your character for 3 seconds after you cast like Threnody. Has nothing to do with actual effect of the song.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mogue
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2009-04-28 10:45:45
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:
Try pt'ing with 3 Sam/War full timing Hasso (NO seigan ever) and keeping serk up whenever possible and see if you can keep up with that on rdm.

Substitute a SAM/WAR with a DRG/mage and you're golden :P
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-04-28 10:49:06
Link | Citer | R

Celdryn said:
Pulling with Threnody is dumb unless you have super windower macros that can change your gear right as you cast. The only reason I even pull with Elegy is because it doesnt freeze your character for 3 seconds after you cast like Threnody. Has nothing to do with actual effect of the song.

Threnody isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Pulling with Light Threnody not only increases your chances of landing Lullaby successfully, but it means that if you get caught without shadows, then you're not suffering a +50% increase in recast times. Though admittedly, I prefer Elegy because it doesn't make me freeze, though that only needs me to hit another macro at 65% casting and it skips the animation >.>
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-28 10:55:56
Link | Citer | R

Mogue said:
Frobeus said:

Drg is ok, but a well very well geared Sam/War in x2brd, or brd/cor pt will out do well geared Drg/anything.

To celd, idc what you pull with (use the disc), I just don't like elegy since it means one of the DD is going to need erase every other pull.
 Hades.Celdryn
By Hades.Celdryn 2009-04-28 11:02:36
Link | Citer | R

Hitetsu said:

Threnody isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Pulling with Light Threnody not only increases your chances of landing Lullaby successfully, but it means that if you get caught without shadows, then you're not suffering a +50% increase in recast times. Though admittedly, I prefer Elegy because it doesn't make me freeze, though that only needs me to hit another macro at 65% casting and it skips the animation >.>

I understand the benefits, but with 130 CHR and Wind Skill Merits I honestly never have problems with getting resisted. Getting elegy'd while shadows are down sucks but it prolly happens what.. once? per hour? at max? Sometimes more sometimes less. For someone who doesnt play on PC, making another macro to change gear to unfreeze after threnody doesnt make sense to me when I wouldnt be benefiting from it in my opinion. If you have trouble landing sleep on birds (which alot of bards do... ) then yeah this will prolly help.
 Unicorn.Dragonspight
Serveur: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Dragonspight 2009-04-28 11:02:40
Link | Citer | R

Celdryn said:

Pulling with Earth Threnody is faster than pulling with any other song because the bird rarely casts it back at you as you rarely land it.

To the rest of the conversation, a COR should never be pulling in a BRD party, even if they don't need the extra damage. COR should sub whm to keep the party from dying.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-28 11:05:33
Link | Citer | R

Dragonspight said:
Pulling with Earth Threnody is faster than pulling with any other song because the bird rarely casts it back at you as you rarely land it.

To the rest of the conversation, a COR should never be pulling in a BRD party, even if they don't need the extra damage. COR should sub whm to keep the party from dying.

I'mma beat yo ***.
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-28 11:07:32
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Skipping past the debate and arguments, I'm gonna be biased and say Corsair.
I always put "I outparse bards." in my /seacom when I seek for merit parties just for kicks. It's funny because pretty much anyone can too :P

Anyways on a serious note, assuming you have a reasonable puller, tons of dds and a whm or rdm like most merit parties are setup, I would say COR for the simple fact that they can do good damage too and a majority of their rolls are catered to melees and give what no bard can.

STP + ATK roll = holy ***

Refresh + Conserve MP = <3

Gogo chain 200~

Long story short: Don't have puller job already? Get BRD. Got a THF or RNG or someone else halfway decent at pulling? Get COR.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-28 11:08:27
Link | Citer | R

Dragonspight said:
Celdryn said:

Its easier for a cor to put up 2 songs and pull with the disc than it is for the brd to put up 4 songs and pull. Also brd has access to more mp/healing gear options than cor does.
 Hades.Celdryn
By Hades.Celdryn 2009-04-28 11:10:04
Link | Citer | R

To Frob: Why would it elegy a DD? If I elegy something, its going to cast it on me unless a DD runs across the map to voke it. And if thats the case, then why isnt he fighting the bird that the rest of the party is fighting seeing as I am pulling before the other one is even at 50%. That my friend, makes no sense.

To Dragon: I completely aggree with pulling with threnody if you have macros/windower xml to prevent the freezing. Other than that, it actually isnt faster in the slightest. I actually prefer the bird to cast on me because they have movementspeed+ and it wont eat all my shadows that way running from a long pull. I also have Manteel/Minstrel's Ring/Loq Earring/Walahra so actual song casting time is irrelevent.

To Topic: Cor should never pull if theres a BRD in party. Cor should sub rng and have fun if you ask me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-04-28 11:10:20
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:
Mogue said:
Frobeus said:

Drg is ok, but a well very well geared Sam/War in x2brd, or brd/cor pt will out do well geared Drg/anything.

To celd, idc what you pull with (use the disc), I just don't like elegy since it means one of the DD is going to need erase every other pull.

If the BRD is doing it right, then they should be getting hit with the elegy recast. If the DDs just wait til that initial reflected spell to provoke, then elegy will only go after the brd 90%+ of the time.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-04-28 11:15:48
Link | Citer | R

Celdryn said:
For someone who doesnt play on PC, making another macro to change gear to unfreeze after threnody doesnt make sense to me when I wouldnt be benefiting from it in my opinion.

I don't have another macro specifically to do that, I use one of my instrument change macros. I have a full row of 9 macros just for changing instruments, and while you blink changing an instrument, you can skip the animation without the need for another (specific) macro or windower.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-28 11:16:17
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

If you ask me COR/WHM is a waste unless you're in a manaburn party where gun shooting is futile. WHM is a good subjob to have available should you run into a situation where your gun's damage resistance would be too high to be worthwhile or when extra cure 3s and status removal is vital.

But in all honesty, with the right gear and decked out merits, a COR can shoot almost as good as a RNG. Just wish they had access to more/better guns =/
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-28 11:17:47
Link | Citer | R

Erikthecleric said:
Frobeus said:
Mogue said:
Frobeus said:

If the BRD is doing it right, then they should be getting hit with the elegy recast. If the DDs just wait til that initial reflected spell to provoke, then elegy will only go after the brd 90%+ of the time.

Your doing it wrong.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-04-28 11:20:01
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:
Erikthecleric said:
Frobeus said:
Mogue said:
Frobeus said:

Your doing it wrong.

Because a BRD cant pull while the other DDs are still killing another mob.
 Cerberus.Mindi
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-04-28 11:22:54
Link | Citer | R

i dont understand why ppl say brd should /whm and cor should pull... thats... unefficent.
Maybe you didnt noticed so far... but a cor can /whm too :P
i know most dont like that but who cares as long as merits roll fast. Not that anyone cares for COR DMG in a brd + cor + very strong DD (and no i dont mean some random NQ DD with no merits and no gear) PT.
/whm on the cor is not to omg-mainheal! its for situational erases and maybe a curagaII if needed and to wake someone up. Dont even need soo much MP gear for that since the COR can get the same refresh as the RDM from time to time. And a standing back COR can, if needed for Links or stuff, easy overview if he can help the brd to sleep links^^

I allways pull with elegy's on BRD and well when you get hit with elegy rdm or the other support can earse and if you cant sleep a bird constant...... oh well then you shouldnt pull.
 Unicorn.Dragonspight
Serveur: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Dragonspight 2009-04-28 11:24:01
Link | Citer | R

Frobeus said:

Its easier for a cor to put up 2 songs and pull with the disc than it is for the brd to put up 4 songs and pull. Also brd has access to more mp/healing gear options than cor does.

It's actually very easy to put up four songs while pulling... In a good party, it's generally Ni > pull > buff > sleep > repeat.

COR should be putting up 4 buffs too, you know. If I'm not mistaken though, it's a little more rigid on timing for them to do so than for bard.

Also, all of you CORs who are putting up STP + attack and subbing RNG need to get better parties. STP + COR and not dealing extra damage to overkill the chain ftw.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-28 11:24:53
Link | Citer | R

Celdryn said:
To Frob: Why would it elegy a DD? If I elegy something, its going to cast it on me unless a DD runs across the map to voke it. And if thats the case, then why isnt he fighting the bird that the rest of the party is fighting seeing as I am pulling before the other one is even at 50%. That my friend, makes no sense.

To Topic: Cor should never pull if theres a BRD in party. Cor should sub rng and have fun if you ask me.

I think that your not getting what I was saying entirly. I'm not talking about a normal merit pt going at normal merit speed. This is a very well geared group of DD using food that are dropping birds much faster than they can pop. There have been countless times in this type of pt where the DD are voking a freshly popped bird as the brd is also pulling it and get the elegy on the DD. I know this type of pt isn't common for everyone but they do exist. If my pt was killing so slowly that brds were getting other birds while the one we were on was still @ 50% I'd be finding new DD's.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-04-28 11:25:48
Link | Citer | R

COR can pull very well in the correct situation, but that situation doesn't arise very often; and it never should with a BRD in the party. The simple fact is, that the March songs aside, the pulling capabilities of BRD is what makes it the optimum buffing job for merit parties. In any half decent party, monsters are being killed very fast, which means they need to be pulled very fast. The recast on Lullaby and the general lack of resists gives BRD the edge over COR.

COR can pull, but not as well as BRD. That's the sad truth.

HOWEVER,

People saying that COR can not perform as efficiently as /WHM as BRD's can are incorrect. What is the difference between COR and BRD in that department? The only difference is a couple of MP pieces COR can't necessarily equip. BRDs get no additional spells or abilities. On COR/WHM my maximum MP is 612 with 8/8 MP merits. On BRD, it's 841. That's not a gigantic difference when you think I'm support healing. If you're in a party on BRD or COR and you're main healing, get the *** out. It obviously sucks.

And when it comes to DD, really well geared CORs can parse up there with the best. In fact, in direct comparison to RNG, COR can easily win with the same buffs and rolls the RNG has. The only thing seperating COR and RNG apart is the 19 levels in skill on Marksmanship. If COR had that extra 19, I would bet money on the fact the best geared CORs could outparse some exceptionally geared RNGs.

I'd go so far as to say it'd take an Annihilator to outperform the best COR Gun to Gun if COR was A- in Marksmanship like RNG.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10