Ignorance Taken To The Next Level.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Ignorance taken to the next level.
Ignorance taken to the next level.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 10:01:00
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
I just have a question, and I hope to not start a flame war. I'll start with a little about me.

I am a religious person. However, I do not push my religion in the face of anyone. If anyone has a question about my religion, I am open to discussion. In fact, one of my favorite things to do with a Jehova's Witness is to bring them into my home and try to convert them (they started shoving it in my face first!).

Now, my question. Why is it ok to bash a group of people because of one facet of their life? If I come on here and bash a specific race, would that be ok? Why is it ok for an Athiest to bash someone who is religious by calling them stupid?
If you watch the video, he is saying that they're not bashing any religion, but the people who post on on atheist related sites (faceback in the video) who spew religious nonsense to them.

OK, I understand (that looked like facebook, lol). However, since I threw it out there, it does happen a lot. I remember a particular troll that picked this forum to do it quite a bit, and I just don't understand why it's ok for some (not all) athiests to speak about a religious person in the way they do. It can be just as offensive to someone who believes in a god as the words ***, spick, chink, and wetback can be to other people (these words offend me as well, because it is demeaning).
Many atheists (including me) feel that most religions in general are a major cause of history's problems and today's problems as well.

Some are more passionate about this issue and feel the need to lash out.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 10:03:23
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-12-04 10:13:12
Link | Citer | R

Well, here is my opinion. And it's just that, my opinion.

Religion did not "cause" a lot of problems throughout history. What causes these problems is greed, selfishness, and things of that nature. I am of the belief that the same people would have done the same things throughout history regardless of whether or not religion was in place, just because these people are bad. If there were no belief in god there, they would have done it in the name of puppies. People will do the bad things they want to do because they want to do them. Not because they believe God told them to.

And, it is fine for someone to be athiest, but it can be done without being offensive.
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-04 10:28:15
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
I just have a question, and I hope to not start a flame war. I'll start with a little about me. I am a religious person. However, I do not push my religion in the face of anyone. If anyone has a question about my religion, I am open to discussion. In fact, one of my favorite things to do with a Jehova's Witness is to bring them into my home and try to convert them (they started shoving it in my face first!). Now, my question. Why is it ok to bash a group of people because of one facet of their life? If I come on here and bash a specific race, would that be ok? Why is it ok for an Athiest to bash someone who is religious by calling them stupid?
If you watch the video, he is saying that they're not bashing any religion, but the people who post on on atheist related sites (faceback in the video) who spew religious nonsense to them.
OK, I understand (that looked like facebook, lol). However, since I threw it out there, it does happen a lot. I remember a particular troll that picked this forum to do it quite a bit, and I just don't understand why it's ok for some (not all) athiests to speak about a religious person in the way they do. It can be just as offensive to someone who believes in a god as the words ***, spick, chink, and wetback can be to other people (these words offend me as well, because it is demeaning).

He means jet obviously.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-04 10:29:25
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
I just have a question, and I hope to not start a flame war. I'll start with a little about me. I am a religious person. However, I do not push my religion in the face of anyone. If anyone has a question about my religion, I am open to discussion. In fact, one of my favorite things to do with a Jehova's Witness is to bring them into my home and try to convert them (they started shoving it in my face first!). Now, my question. Why is it ok to bash a group of people because of one facet of their life? If I come on here and bash a specific race, would that be ok? Why is it ok for an Athiest to bash someone who is religious by calling them stupid?
Many atheists (including me) feel that most religions in general are a major cause of history's problems and today's problems as well. Some are more passionate about this issue and feel the need to lash out.

So you basically admit a very large level of personal ignorance. Good to know. Lets blame religion for the majority of history's problems because it's an easier solution than actually learning history.
 Bismarck.Nevill
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-12-04 10:38:01
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Many atheists (including me) feel that most religions in general are a major cause of history's problems and today's problems as well. Some are more passionate about this issue and feel the need to lash out.

So you basically admit a very large level of personal ignorance. Good to know. Lets blame religion for the majority of history's problems because it's an easier solution than actually learning history.
Who is that directed at?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 10:43:15
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

Really so say for instance the Crusades had nothing to do with religion?
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-04 10:46:04
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

Sure they did. Did WW1? How about WWII? I am not saying that religion hasn't caused SOME problems, but it doesn't cause the majority. Greed/ignorance does. The biggest problem I have with people who attack religion is that this feeling of "mental superiority" is not much different than racism. If you honestly feel that somebody is inferior to you because of a belief(Not saying that you in specific do) then you really are a bigot. I just want people to live and let live etc.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 10:48:22
Link | Citer | R

7.3 million Jews would like to a word with you.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 10:49:54
Link | Citer | R

How about Al Qaeda? Jihad anyone?
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-04 10:49:55
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:

No. Hilter was not much different than you and jet. He persecuted people based on religion and culture. Basically what you do verbally.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 10:53:07
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

No. Hilter was not much different than you and jet. He persecuted people based on religion and culture. Basically what you do verbally.
How is persecuting people based on religion not involve religion?
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-04 10:54:39
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

it involves INTOLERENCE. INTOLERENEC is the issue. MANY ATHIESTS ARE JUST AS INTOLERENT. I think you can see the issue here now.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 10:59:54
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

it involves INTOLERENCE. INTOLERENEC is the issue. MANY ATHIESTS ARE JUST AS INTOLERENT. I think you can see the issue here now.
Intolerance of religion still involves religion. (not arguing that intolerance is a huge issue, arguing that religion plays a major part)

Just like the catholic church is intolerant of many things.

Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-04 11:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Intolerance of religion still involves religion. (not arguing that intolerance is a huge issue, arguing that religion plays a major part) Just like the catholic church is intolerant of many things.

Well religion wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't intolerence. That would be like saying race wouldnt be an issue if there just wasn't black people.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 11:07:24
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Intolerance of religion still involves religion. (not arguing that intolerance is a huge issue, arguing that religion plays a major part) Just like the catholic church is intolerant of many things.

Well religion wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't intolerence. That would be like saying race wouldnt be an issue if there just wasn't black people.
Here's were that comparison fails:

People don't chose to believe they are black.

People chose to believe in <insert w/e religious thing>.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 11:08:14
Link | Citer | R

A chosen belief =/= what race you were born.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-04 11:21:08
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Here's were that comparison fails: People don't chose to believe they are black. People chose to believe in <insert w/e religious thing>.

You choose not to believe in ignorance. You choose to believe you're american. You choose to believe in money. You choose to believe in law. You choose believe in logic. You choose to believe in pretty much everything that isn't concrete undeniable natural fact. Oh and you choose to not be religious
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 11:35:02
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
You choose not to believe in ignorance.
lol.

Phoenix.Excelior said:
You choose to believe you're american.
Anyone born in America and lives there (a citizen) is American.

Phoenix.Excelior said:
You choose to believe in money.
lol again.

Phoenix.Excelior said:
You choose to believe in law.
ok.

Phoenix.Excelior said:
You choose believe in logic.
lol ok.

Phoenix.Excelior said:
You choose to believe in pretty much everything that isn't concrete undeniable natural fact.
So?

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Oh and you choose to not be religious
Your point being?
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-12-04 11:54:11
Link | Citer | R

/sigh
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-04 12:02:26
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Krizz said:
/sigh
/comfort
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-04 12:59:37
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:
I just have a question, and I hope to not start a flame war. I'll start with a little about me.

I am a religious person. However, I do not push my religion in the face of anyone. If anyone has a question about my religion, I am open to discussion. In fact, one of my favorite things to do with a Jehova's Witness is to bring them into my home and try to convert them (they started shoving it in my face first!).

Now, my question. Why is it ok to bash a group of people because of one facet of their life? If I come on here and bash a specific race, would that be ok? Why is it ok for an Athiest to bash someone who is religious by calling them stupid?

religion doesn't equate to race/gender etc because it's something one chooses or is forced upon them after they are born, (within normal means you cannot change the other aspects of your life)

If you want to know why religion is stupid then you need to have an understanding of logic that you don't have, the words "ignorant stupid and HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE" are very often used as synonyms of each other (debatable). Religion in itself is ignorant, so calling somebody out on it is just telling the truth, if you take offense to it then grow the *** up and maybe not be so ignorant.

also before you go calling me a troll understand that I do not say these things to "troll" I say them because well that's just how it is, I'm sorry you didn't get the development necessary in life to handle things that offend you, especially when it's just the truth.

bottom line: it's ignorant/stupid to suggest a god exists without proof (just as it is ignorant to say there isn't one as an assertion), just as ignorant/stupid (crazy) if somebody ran up to you and started screaming that the Great Gazoo sits on their shoulder.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-04 13:02:43
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Hitler was a bat ***crazy Catholic *** that killed people as his god commanded him to.

I am intolerant of ignorance and stupidity, and religion (and the logical fallacies that lead to it) fall into this category.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-04 13:04:12
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

Sure they did. Did WW1? How about WWII? I am not saying that religion hasn't caused SOME problems, but it doesn't cause the majority. Greed/ignorance does. The biggest problem I have with people who attack religion is that this feeling of "mental superiority" is not much different than racism. If you honestly feel that somebody is inferior to you because of a belief(Not saying that you in specific do) then you really are a bigot. I just want people to live and let live etc.

We feel we have a mental superiority because we do, religion is *** ignorance personified. That doesn't make us bigots.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-04 13:06:42
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

You speak of intolerance as if it's always a bad thing, some people are intolerant towards rapists, are you saying that's a bad thing? Some people are intolerant to stupidity and illogical thinking, that isn't a bad thing. Some people are intolerant to murderers. Like I said intolerance can be a very good thing.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-04 13:08:38
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:

Religion did not "cause" a lot of problems throughout history. What causes these problems is greed, selfishness, and things of that nature. I am of the belief that the same people would have done the same things throughout history regardless of whether or not religion was in place, just because these people are bad. If there were no belief in god there, they would have done it in the name of puppies. People will do the bad things they want to do because they want to do them. Not because they believe God told them to.

And, it is fine for someone to be athiest, but it can be done without being offensive.

nice way to be ignorant of the world there, and if preaching for people to not be ignorant offends you, then you're a *** idiot and should go cry to your mommy.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-12-04 13:17:09
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

nice way to be ignorant of the world there, and if preaching for people to not be ignorant offends you, then you're a *** idiot and should go cry to your mommy.

Very ignorant to the world.

Pilgrims Coming to the U.S. (Religion more or less)
The Rape of Native American Land (Religion)
The Crusades (Religion)
Spanish Inquisition (Religion)
Witch Hunts (religion)
World War II (Partially Religion)
Conflicts in the middle east (Jews against Islam obviously religion)

I'm probably forgetting other things
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-04 13:19:08
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

Very ignorant to the world.

Pilgrims Coming to the U.S. (Religion more or less)
The Rape of Native American Land (Religion)
The Crusades (Religion)
Spanish Inquisition (Religion)
Witch Hunts (religion)
World War II (Partially Religion)
Conflicts in the middle east (Jews against Islam obviously religion)

I'm probably forgetting other things

Northern Ireland conflict is one off the top of my head.
9/11

I'm losing patience for dealing with the level of stupidity shown in such a statement, I mean seriously has this guy never *** paid attention in school?
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14