Ignorance Taken To The Next Level.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Ignorance taken to the next level.
Ignorance taken to the next level.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-06 17:45:20
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
...given the amount of human sexual interaction with each other, would take several hundreds of years at the least.
I put on my robe and wizard hat.

COME ON ANYE LETS DO SCIENCE!
 Bismarck.Nevill
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-12-06 17:46:10
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
...given the amount of human sexual interaction with each other, would take several hundreds of years at the least.
I put on my robe and wizard hat. COME ON ANYE LETS DO SCIENCE!

ROFL
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-06 18:11:37
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:

while wearing this t-shirt:

That's us doing in vitro fertilization :D

CUZ IM AN ACE
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:21:45
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Just to clarify: Evolution on a genetic level occurs over long, long periods of time.

First, a mutation has to occur, against which the human body has developed several complex mechanisms (less complex species have fewer). Secondly, the mutation has to be phenotypically visible--in other words, it has to manifest itself in some sort of biochemical process that affects the organism's vitality. Thirdly, the mutation has to be beneficial to a large degree for it to be passed on; if not beneficial, then the organism would have less of a chance in its shortened lifetime to pass on the mutation, depending on its lifespan and sexual maturity. Fourthly, the mutation has to be so prominent and prevalent in several individuals of a species for it to be passed on from generation to generation--even then, it takes a considerable amount of time for it to actually manifest itself regularly in an entire species, and, given the amount of human sexual interaction with each other, would take several hundreds of years at the least.

That being said, evolution has a wide variety of interpretations; generally the word implies a process of development, so human evolution could very well entail the (exponential) development of human intelligence, or even the mechanism by which our immune systems continuously develop antibodies against antigens throughout our entire lives.

-edit- Something like "less hair" would be considered phenotypic plasticity by biologists, and not a result of genetic mutation.

That said, I am of the opinion that the idea of evolution via genetic mutation does not eliminate the possibility of the existence of a creator God.

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
scientific method is perfect, to say it requires faith is laughable.
I can't stand this. As a science major, I cannot abide this. There are so many things I cannot say given my position. So. many. things.

The scientific method is BASED on the idea of making assumptions which are themselves based on previous studies--the hypothesis. Even theories we once understood to be "proven fact" are debunkable.

it's based on no such thing, the scientific method is a set standard of procedures, and those procedures are absolute, if you don't follow those procedures you aren't using the scientific method.

the scientific method is perfect, what conclusions people may arise to using it incorrectly is another story. (retesting theories is part of said method btw)
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:24:16
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
I think Jet lives in a special world where scientists must apply the scientific method to every endeavor in life to be called a scientist. A scientist must have blind faith in at least one thing to be a scientist. That one thing is called the scientific method.
scientific method is perfect, to say it requires faith is laughable.

1.) Nothing is perfect

2.) Science never proves anything. It only supports or refutes. This simple mistake in nomenclature signals right away that one lacks a proper scientific education.

3.) Scientific method is not a perfect system. If it was then it would be full proof that scientists don't make mistakes. Most published papers have at least something that can be legitamantly questioned.

4.) Having faith in what you study is a recipe for disaster. This usually comes in the form of assumptions. These are extremely dangerous.

I'm sorry Jet, but you either have no science background, a terrible one, or are in the infancy of your scientific education. Not only that but you are either unable to construct and organize your thoughts, back them up with nothing more than insults or 3 word phrases, or you are getting your rocks off seeing several people formulate logical conversation/debate to your arse-hattery.

when I see somebody on here besides Chaosx or myself (maybe 1 or 2 others at times) can do this, I'll give a ***about what you people say.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-06 18:25:06
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:

while wearing this t-shirt:

That's us doing in vitro fertilization

But I'm not infertile ... Oh ...

Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:25:44
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
So you believe in god then Jet? There is no conclusive proof that God doesn't exist. It would be blind faith to say that he does not. I am glad to see that you are now either religious or completely illogical.
I lol'd
or you can just say there is no reason to believe he does or doesn't, but why add a god in the picture in the first place, you're either illogical or don't take a stance on the issue we don't know. Religious people and people who claim there is no god at all are in the same boat on that.
Also by his logic there is a Spaghetti Monster, big foot, etc. because there is no conclusive proof they do not exist.
typical religious logic there, this thread makes me fear for the future.
How is there bad logic? You believe god can't exist because there is no proof that he does not. Conclusion: You believe that proof is required before you can believe. You believe that god does can't exist yet there is no proof that he does not. Conclusion: You do not have proof therefore you can not believe he does not exist. If you don't agree that he does not exist then you must therefore believe that he either exists or could exist. What's your proof that he could exist? None. What's the proof that he doesnt exist? None. What should your opinion be? That it is possible, based upon our currently knowledge, that god may exist. However, it is impossible to prove or disprove and therefore impossible to have a stance AT ALL on the matter because even theories require proof. You are thus illogical. You have based your entire argument on that fact that religion is illogical and therefore stupid. Conclusion: If something is illogical it is stupid Therefore: Jet you are illogical Jet you must be stupid. This thread is over because you have just logically been destroyed. Good luck in future posts.
I have never stated god can't exist, you're a dumbass, go away.
LOL brb finding quotes.
you won't find them, the only part you got right out of that entire *** you just spewed was it's illogical to claim a god does or doesn't exist, and religion is one of these stances, therefore all religion is illogical and or stupid.

So you aren't an athiest now? You were a few weeks ago.

atheism means lacking a belief in a deity,
lacking a belief in a deity =/= claiming a god doesn't exist.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:27:32
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:
Dubont said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Oh cool, Jet is back. Maybe he can clear up that whole Gregor Mendel thing for me after all ...

I told you already a person cannot be truly religious and truly a scientist at the same time, it's not possible. Unless you can find a religion that actually has provable facts and isn't an exercise in blind faith.
actually...I'm just going to say something real quick, you can be completely religious and scientific at the same time? Why? Well, In calculus 2, we were taught about the Infinite possibility theory. There can be a 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% chance for something to happen, but there is no guarantee that it WILL happen/is true. In contrast, there can be a 0.0000000000000000000001% chance that something isn't possible/cannot be true, but there is no absolute guarantee the it CAN'T happen. This is where the idea of "Nothing is impossible but not everything is possible" comes from.
Read this Jet, please.

try to tell a mathematician that there's a possibility that something that doesn't pass the vertical line test is a function and he'll laugh in your face.
Again, there is always that .000000000000000000000000000000000001% that it CAN happen, according to mathematical theory. This is how you can religious and scientific at the same time.

how about no, there aren't exceptions to rules in mathematics, that's what makes them rules, this isn't english class.

unless somebody can provide evidence for their faith (making it no longer blind faith) then it is impossible for a person to be both.
This is one of the rules of mathematics...did you not take anything higher than geometry? This is a higher level mathematical theory. There is ALWAY a chance that something can happen and ALWAYS a chance that something can't. There is never 100% possibility for ANYTHING. If you disagree, Richard Dawkins would like to have a word with you, sir.

*** richard dawkins, and no.
Ah, now I see you truly are a troll. Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, two of the more recent popular atheists, both agree with the Infinite Possibilities theory...You are no atheist, sir, you are a rebellious, pompous ***.

popular sure as hell doesn't mean right, stop being baby feed what to think by people and you may be able to form an opinion on your own, you and your precious richard are no different than people sucking at the pope's nip.

the only thing, and the only thing that defines one as an atheist is lacking the belief in a deity, anything else has nothing to do with being an atheist, so like I said, go suck more on ***'s nip.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-06 18:28:20
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
when I see somebody on here besides Chaosx or myself (maybe 1 or 2 others at times) can do this, I'll give a ***about what you people say.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-06 18:30:46
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
So you believe in god then Jet? There is no conclusive proof that God doesn't exist. It would be blind faith to say that he does not. I am glad to see that you are now either religious or completely illogical.
I lol'd
or you can just say there is no reason to believe he does or doesn't, but why add a god in the picture in the first place, you're either illogical or don't take a stance on the issue we don't know. Religious people and people who claim there is no god at all are in the same boat on that.
Also by his logic there is a Spaghetti Monster, big foot, etc. because there is no conclusive proof they do not exist.
How is there bad logic? You believe god can't exist because there is no proof that he does not. Conclusion: You believe that proof is required before you can believe. You believe that god does can't exist yet there is no proof that he does not. Conclusion: You do not have proof therefore you can not believe he does not exist. If you don't agree that he does not exist then you must therefore believe that he either exists or could exist. What's your proof that he could exist? None. What's the proof that he doesnt exist? None. What should your opinion be? That it is possible, based upon our currently knowledge, that god may exist. However, it is impossible to prove or disprove and therefore impossible to have a stance AT ALL on the matter because even theories require proof. You are thus illogical. You have based your entire argument on that fact that religion is illogical and therefore stupid. Conclusion: If something is illogical it is stupid Therefore: Jet you are illogical Jet you must be stupid. This thread is over because you have just logically been destroyed. Good luck in future posts.
LOL brb finding quotes.
you won't find them, the only part you got right out of that entire *** you just spewed was it's illogical to claim a god does or doesn't exist, and religion is one of these stances, therefore all religion is illogical and or stupid.
atheism means lacking a belief in a deity, lacking a belief in a deity =/= claiming a god doesn't exist.

Definitions of atheist on the Web:

•someone who denies the existence of god
•related to or characterized by or given to atheism; "atheist leanings"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

•A person without a belief in, or one who lacks belief in the existence of a god or gods; A person who believes that no gods or deities exist
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/atheist

•atheism - the doctrine or belief that there is no God

•atheistic - rejecting any belief in gods

•atheism - A belief that there are no gods. Greek "a-theos": without-god. [see the 'Atheism' page for complete information]
www.reasoned.org/glossary.

•atheism - Denies the existence of any God, thought it is traditionally focused on the rejection of the Biblical God

Looks like atheists don't believe in god. (Gasp an atheist who knows nothing about atheism, oh the irony)

[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:33:10
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
I lol'd
LOL brb finding quotes.
atheism means lacking a belief in a deity, lacking a belief in a deity =/= claiming a god doesn't exist.

Definitions of atheist on the Web:

•someone who denies the existence of god
•related to or characterized by or given to atheism; "atheist leanings"

•A person without a belief in, or one who lacks belief in the existence of a god or gods; A person who believes that no gods or deities exist
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/atheist

•atheism - the doctrine or belief that there is no God

•atheistic - rejecting any belief in gods

•atheism - A belief that there are no gods. Greek "a-theos": without-god. [see the 'Atheism' page for complete information]
www.reasoned.org/glossary.

•atheism - Denies the existence of any God, thought it is traditionally focused on the rejection of the Biblical God

Looks like atheists don't believe in god. (Gasp an atheist who knows nothing about atheism, oh the irony)

go look up the word theism, the prefix a- and come back here (or don't, which is the preferred choice) dumbass.

lacking a belief =/= claiming there is no
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-06 18:34:43
Link | Citer | R

I think Jet fits into the Agnostic Atheist mold. Saying a god might exist, but I have no proof to support such a claim, so I don't believe one does exist.

Those definitions are a little narrow when trying to describe all atheists.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:35:10
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

unfortunately this applies to too many people, but in your case: really you don't find the scientific method to be absolute? then why are you studying science?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:35:57
Link | Citer | R

I think Jet fits into the Agnostic Atheist mold. Saying a god might exist, but I have no proof to support such a claim, so I don't believe one does exist.

atheism = lacking a belief in a god, whether or not you're agnostic is another matter entirely.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-12-06 18:37:46
Link | Citer | R

Jet i'm sorry your too late. We're talking about Anye doing science. Please take your tardiness and arse-hattery somewhere else. This has turned into a good thread. Its absolute cuz I sez so!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-06 18:37:56
Link | Citer | R

Note: For someone who loves logic Jet sure uses a lot of Ad hominem.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-06 18:38:28
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
I think Jet fits into the Agnostic Atheist mold. Saying a god might exist, but I have no proof to support such a claim, so I don't believe one does exist. Those definitions are a little narrow when trying to describe all atheists.
atheism = lacking a belief in a god, whether or not you're agnostic is another matter entirely.

So atheists can believe god exists but just reject him then?
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-06 18:39:27
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

I agree, but still think Agnostic Atheist fits you.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:39:29
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
I think Jet fits into the Agnostic Atheist mold. Saying a god might exist, but I have no proof to support such a claim, so I don't believe one does exist. Those definitions are a little narrow when trying to describe all atheists.

how can you believe in a god and lack the belief?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:41:23
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

I agree, but still think Agnostic Atheist fits you.

meh, I wouldn't necessarily say I entirely agree with the agnostic viewpoint, but for my knowledge limit right now I would say agnostic fits for me (not enough information to declare either way is the definition you're using right?)
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-06 18:41:49
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

unfortunately this applies to too many people, but in your case: really you don't find the scientific method to be absolute? then why are you studying science?
Because it's fun.

The scientific method is great, but it's not "absolute." The study of anything in the name of science takes into account the fact that there IS no absolute.

That being said, anyone who ever claims to actually HAVE absolute knowledge--not "know everything," but to say that one's perception of absolute truth is clear--is absurd. We only have a limited/obscured/biased perspective on truth, and we all have convictions based on that perspective (some stronger than others), but by no means do we have a grasp on even the smallest wisp of absolute truth.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 18:44:24
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
that's why I stopped trying and /blocked.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:44:37
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Because it's fun.

The scientific method is great, but it's not "absolute." The study of anything in the name of science takes into account the fact that there IS no absolute.

That being said, anyone who ever claims to actually HAVE absolute knowledge--not "know everything," but to say that one's perception of absolute truth is clear--is absurd. We only have a limited perspective on truth, and we all have convictions based on that perspective (some stronger than others), but by no means do we have a grasp on even the smallest wisp of absolute truth.

there are absolutes in this world, that's the very fundamentals of everything we know, but you have a point as to whether or not they are truly absolute is questionable, but then again that bring into question our entire existence.

for the sake of studying the observable world (the one we live in) the scientific method is absolute, then again like all rules that are put in place they are only a rule as long as the conditions stay the within the realm as they were perceived when created.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-06 18:45:28
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Because it's fun. The scientific method is great, but it's not "absolute." The study of anything in the name of science takes into account the fact that there IS no absolute. That being said, anyone who ever claims to actually HAVE absolute knowledge--not "know everything," but to say that one's perception of absolute truth is clear--is absurd. We only have a limited perspective on truth, and we all have convictions based on that perspective (some stronger than others), but by no means do we have a grasp on even the smallest wisp of absolute truth.

We've tried to explain that to him. It's funny how many people don't remember the famous saying, "I know I know nothing".
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 18:45:48
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
that's why I stopped trying and /blocked.
why should I care what people who obviously can't comprehend care about what I'm speaking?
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-06 18:47:14
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

An atheist can accept the possibility that a god could exist, but not believe one does.

This would be an example of an agnostic atheist.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 18:47:35
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Because it's fun. The scientific method is great, but it's not "absolute." The study of anything in the name of science takes into account the fact that there IS no absolute. That being said, anyone who ever claims to actually HAVE absolute knowledge--not "know everything," but to say that one's perception of absolute truth is clear--is absurd. We only have a limited perspective on truth, and we all have convictions based on that perspective (some stronger than others), but by no means do we have a grasp on even the smallest wisp of absolute truth.

We've tried to explain that to him. It's funny how many people don't remember the famous saying, "I know I know nothing".
Anye:Scientific Method is not Absolute
Jet: yes it is!
Anye: [provides evidence proving her point]
Jet: you are wrong, scientific method is absolute
we should spend more time castrating him just for this fact, not his silly notion that he's the only one who knows what the concept "atheist" really means.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-06 18:48:21
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
there are absolutes in this world, that's the very fundamentals of everything we know, but you have a point as to whether or not they are truly absolute is questionable, but then again that bring into question our entire existence.

for the sake of studying the observable world (the one we live in) the scientific method is absolute, then again like all rules that are put in place they are only a rule as long as the conditions stay the within the realm as they were perceived when created.
Come again?

So you believe there is a possibility that, if something exists outside of the perceivable realm, it would defy the laws of said perceivable realm?

OH MY GOD.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14