Ignorance Taken To The Next Level.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Ignorance taken to the next level.
Ignorance taken to the next level.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14
 Luz
By Luz 2010-12-06 18:51:50
Link | Citer | R

Castrate is this site's favorite verb xD
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-06 18:52:12
Link | Citer | R

I thought it was lol
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 18:55:14
Link | Citer | R

OK, someone care to ask Jet why he believes humans and what humans create can possibly be considered to be absolute?
Or has the human race become infallible?
I've heard the argument against the bible stating that the bible is inaccurate due to human hand and blah blah blah.
but can't this be said the same for science?
if the scientific method was infallible we wouldn't be able to grow or evolve and expand and change/rewrite theories.
you can't "evolve" upon perfection, assuming otherwise is stupid.
religious belief and scientific method being mutually exclusive is a stupid and childish idea.
that's assuming people believe 100% in everything they do and think,assuming that is a flawed approach in and of itself.
only idiots believe they are 100% correct when provided with evidence proving otherwise.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 19:00:00
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
there are absolutes in this world, that's the very fundamentals of everything we know, but you have a point as to whether or not they are truly absolute is questionable, but then again that bring into question our entire existence.

for the sake of studying the observable world (the one we live in) the scientific method is absolute, then again like all rules that are put in place they are only a rule as long as the conditions stay the within the realm as they were perceived when created.
Come again?

So you believe there is a possibility that, if something exists outside of the perceivable realm, it would defy the laws of said perceivable realm?

OH MY GOD.

it would also go against everything we know as fact, and be an insult to science, quite frankly there is no reason to believe anything exists outside the perceivable realm, much less a god.
It would also make science itself meaningless.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-06 19:02:25
Link | Citer | R

Explain.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 19:03:18
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
OK, someone care to ask Jet why he believes humans and what humans create can possibly be considered to be absolute?
Or has the human race become infallible?
I've heard the argument against the bible stating that the bible is inaccurate due to human hand and blah blah blah.
but can't this be said the same for science?
if the scientific method was infallible we wouldn't be able to grow or evolve and expand and change/rewrite theories.
you can't "evolve" upon perfection, assuming otherwise is stupid.
religious belief and scientific method being mutually exclusive is a stupid and childish idea.
that's assuming people believe 100% in everything they do and think,assuming that is a flawed approach in and of itself.
only idiots believe they are 100% correct when provided with evidence proving otherwise.

the bible is inaccurate because we've proven it to be so, and it contradicts itself, when an idea in science is proven wrong it's dropped.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 19:03:19
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Explain.
he'll just say he doesn't feel like doing the research or he'll say he's explained several times already, but he never actually explains exactly what he says.

I'm just saying this now just to make it more apparent how predictable he is.
oh i have another one to tag on.
his explanation will just be him regurgitating what you just asked him to explain, just he will move the words around a bit.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 19:08:00
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Explain.

if something exists outside the laws in which we have observed to be the very structure of the universe, then everything that we've worked for would be meaningless as then all the rules we observed would no longer be in place, which would collapse our entire understanding of everything, while pursuit of such a thing is awesome, to actually find it isn't, no real scientist seeks perfection, to do so would mean an end to research.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 19:09:45
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Explain.
he'll just say he doesn't feel like doing the research or he'll say he's explained several times already, but he never actually explains exactly what he says.

I'm just saying this now just to make it more apparent how predictable he is.

I always explain what I say, just nobody ever bothers to take the time or is incapable of understanding it.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-06 19:12:50
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Explain.

if something exists outside the laws in which we have observed to be the very structure of the universe, then everything that we've worked for would be meaningless as then all the rules we observed would no longer be in place, which would collapse our entire understanding of everything, while pursuit of such a thing is awesome, to actually find it isn't, no real scientist seeks perfection, to do so would mean an end to research.
I see. Two questions:
In a world where something exists outside the laws in which we have observed to be the very structure of the universe, and everything we've worked for would be meaningless, what would you consider to be of significance?

Also, if a scientist sought perfection, why would it be meaningless if the ideal of perfection was present and unobtainable, but also a point towards which one could "perfect" one's research--in other words, grow towards this idea of perfection?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 19:13:01
Link | Citer | R

on a side note, this is another reason I'm intolerant of religion and the ignorance that breeds it (yeah, I went there)

Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 19:15:22
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Explain.

I see. Two questions:
In a world where something exists outside the laws in which we have observed to be the very structure of the universe, and everything we've worked for would be meaningless, what would you consider to be of significance?

Also, if a scientist sought perfection, why would it be meaningless if the ideal of perfection was present and unobtainable, but also a point towards which one could "perfect" one's research--in other words, grow towards this idea of perfection?

1. I don't know, it's a very good question.

2. Let me rephrase slightly, no scientist truly seeks perfection, they seek it but never expect (or hope) to get there, knowing that the fun is in the ride, not the destination. If perfection was obtained, then what would be left to study/research?
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-06 19:23:04
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

2. Let me rephrase slightly, no scientist truly seeks perfection, they seek it but never expect (or hope) to get there, knowing that the fun is in the ride, not the destination. If perfection was obtained, then what would be left to study/research?
No problem; was just wondering.

IMO, I would feel that, in the spirit of science and the search for truth, I would consider seeking that unobservable existence as significant. And in the spirit of your second answer--the fun's in the ride. But I would like to add that, if the possibility exists that I could ever, ever, EVER obtain it, even that 1e-infinity chance, I would be quite, quite happy.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 19:25:35
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

No problem; was just wondering.

IMO, I would feel that, in the spirit of science and the search for truth, I would consider seeking that unobservable existence as significant. And in the spirit of your second answer--the fun's in the ride. But I would like to add that, if the possibility exists that I could ever, ever, EVER obtain it, even that 1e-infinity chance, I would be quite, quite happy.

Achieving it at your end would be the best way tbh, otherwise you'll spend the rest of your days very strangely...
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-06 19:48:10
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
there are absolutes in this world, that's the very fundamentals of everything we know, but you have a point as to whether or not they are truly absolute is questionable, but then again that bring into question our entire existence. for the sake of studying the observable world (the one we live in) the scientific method is absolute, then again like all rules that are put in place they are only a rule as long as the conditions stay the within the realm as they were perceived when created.
Come again? So you believe there is a possibility that, if something exists outside of the perceivable realm, it would defy the laws of said perceivable realm? OH MY GOD.
it would also go against everything we know as fact, and be an insult to science, quite frankly there is no reason to believe anything exists outside the perceivable realm, much less a god. It would also make science itself meaningless.

Allow me to explain to you the concept of the universe:

Group1 = Everything in the universe that exists
Group2 = Everything in the universe that does not exist

AKA

Group1 = Something
Group2 = Nothing

The moment that we identify that group 2 is nothing it ceases to be nothing and becomes something.

If nothing is within the group of something then the group of something must be nothing.

Therefore anything that can't exist therefore must exist, and everything that must exist can not exist.

This is beyond our perception.

Here answers these questions using science:

1. What is the universe expanding into?

2. If there is nothing in front of you then why do you know that it is nothing? It has to be something if you know that it's there.

3. If the universe was created by the big bang then what caused the big bang?

4. If the universe used to be all matter compacted into one space then where did that matter come from?

5. If time is linear and space is curved (because of gravity the shape of the universe) then technically time must end. However if time must end then what happens after time ends. If time is able to end then the time during which it has ended is still time and thus it has not ended.

6. If time is not able to end then when did time start? If time is infinite then there is technically no begining or end. If there is no begining or end that means time is a circle. If time is a circle then it's not possible to know where time started. If time never started then why do we have time?

I can keep going. All of these questions are unexplainable by science. Yet science created them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-12-06 20:00:39
Link | Citer | R

It was once fact that the earth was flat. It was also once fact that the universe revolves around earth.

Just sayin'
By Dubont 2010-12-06 21:01:42
Link | Citer | R

Again, Nothing is impossible, but not everything is possible.....
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-06 21:08:08
Link | Citer | R

I think the correct saying is, "everything is possible, but not probable."
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-06 22:40:14
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
when I see somebody on here besides Chaosx or myself (maybe 1 or 2 others at times) can do this, I'll give a ***about what you people say.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay.
What did I miss?
lol
Anye you're too nice to post in a thread like this.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-06 23:52:13
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:
again there are things that are impossible within our defined universe...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-06 23:53:23
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:
Like you coming into vent?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-07 00:04:54
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:

under the current conditions, yes. (I don't have vent)

I told you I have no intention of using it :P

So in theory it is possible, if conditions change :P
 Bismarck.Nevill
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-12-07 05:16:29
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:
under the current conditions, yes. (I don't have vent) I told you I have no intention of using it :P So in theory it is possible, if conditions change :P

lol'd at this.
 Cerberus.Rayik
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2010-12-07 06:02:43
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said:

Very ignorant to the world.

Pilgrims Coming to the U.S. (Religion more or less)
The Rape of Native American Land (Religion)
The Crusades (Religion)
Spanish Inquisition (Religion)
Witch Hunts (religion)
World War II (Partially Religion)
Conflicts in the middle east (Jews against Islam obviously religion)

I'm probably forgetting other things

Just my opinion here. Call me crazy, but at their root, none of those actually involved religion. Two words: Land Expansion. Ok, maybe the witch trials didn't involve land, but 9 times out of 10 the trials were simply used to cast out unliked people or frame innocents. But, let's say someone is found guilty of being a witch, put to trial, and killed. Guess what happens to their land? It goes back to the town. How convenient. See someone who has a better farmland than you? Accuse them of being a witch. Make the town magistrate an offer. Profit.

Religion is big business. In the dark ages, it was an umbrella that powerful land owners(kings, nobles, etc) used to merge lands and increase their wealth and status. In early Europe(around 300 AD), for example, if a neighboring country converted to Christianity, it meant more allies. Nobles married off their children to other nobles to build relations. Same still happens to this day, they just ditched the religious facade and call it corporate mergers.
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-12-07 10:45:48
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:
under the current conditions, yes. (I don't have vent) I told you I have no intention of using it :P So in theory it is possible, if conditions change :P

This is 100% true but at the same time your missing the point that the universe isnt 100% defined. I'd say that we probably have this much of the fractional information of the universe:

1/ Google * Google

We havent even landed on mars and you think we understand the universe. For all we know the universe doesnt even EXIST beyond our current area. We have technologies that can detect things far away but it doesnt mean they are still there. If we see a star for example that star could be millions of years dead, but the image is just now reaching us. The idea of a truly "defined" universe is absurd. You need to realize we know nothing, and actively seek knowledge from that statepoint.

Are you pursue education at all jet or are you a high school drop out?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-07 12:23:15
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:

This is 100% true but at the same time your missing the point that the universe isnt 100% defined. I'd say that we probably have this much of the fractional information of the universe:

1/ Google * Google

We havent even landed on mars and you think we understand the universe. For all we know the universe doesnt even EXIST beyond our current area. We have technologies that can detect things far away but it doesnt mean they are still there. If we see a star for example that star could be millions of years dead, but the image is just now reaching us. The idea of a truly "defined" universe is absurd. You need to realize we know nothing, and actively seek knowledge from that statepoint.

Am I pursue education at all? LOL, I'm back in college kid.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-07 12:23:43
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Dubont said:

1/ Google * Google

Am I pursue education at all? LOL, I'm back in college kid.

Also we know more of the way the universe works than you may think...
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14