Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-18 15:33:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Olue said:
Phoenix.Degs said:

although i can see your point.. the problem with that is, most of these people were making $20+ hr. wages, and even with unemployment benefits they are still getting most of that + healthcare. the problem with working fast food is, that you are not making even close to what you would with your main job or unemployment, the avg. food service worker makes $7 an hr.

that is not enough to make ends meet if you are trying to support a wife and kids

its almost not even worth it to work those kinda jobs...

This is that entitlement attitude I talked about. If you're working a job that pays $20 + Healthcare and you suddenly get laid off, you're not entitled to still get $20 + Healthcare. You aren't even entitled to get $15 - healthcare. You are only entitled to get what you work for.

This same reasoning is why I don't agree with alimony too. A spouse isn't entitled to a portion of their ex-spouses income just because they would otherwise have to make a lifestyle adjustment. It's not the ex-spouses job to maintain their ex's quality of living.

I agree with some amount of a safety net and minor unemployment benefits, but just because you made more than minimum wage before you were unemployed doesn't mean you get to live better than someone who is currently working a minimum wage job. You can't feed your spouse+kids on minimum wage? Tell that to the thousands of people working at minimum wage (or close to it) right now.

The way I see it is that unemployment should be less than minimum wage so that it is fair to everyone else who might already be working for minimum wage. You shouldn't make more than someone making minimum wage while not having to do anything just because you were laid off from a better paying job and don't want to adjust.
/endthread
[+]
By Bluespyder 2010-11-18 15:35:18
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Pawnskipper said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
Pawnskipper said:
Asura.Olue said:
Yeah it sucks. They'll just have to take a less respectable job until their field of expertise opens up again. A lot of Americans have this entitlement attitude that they need to drop. I support some amount of a social safety net but this attitude where people are too good to work underemployed needs to stop. Unemployment benefits going for 99 weeks seems more like a safety trampoline to me.
Agreed. If you cant find a job and Wendy's is hiring, you damn sure better be flipping burgers. It sucks, but its money.
although i can see your point.. the problem with that is, most of these people were making $20+ hr. wages, and even with unemployment benefits they are still getting most of that + healthcare. the problem with working fast food is, that you are not making even close to what you would with your main job or unemployment, the avg. food service worker makes $7 an hr. that is not enough to make ends meet if you are trying to support a wife and kids its almost not even worth it to work those kinda jobs...
I agree. But whats better? No check, living on the streets....or a $300 check living on the streets. I know thats a little extreme. But when it boils down to it, when the checks stop coming from uncle sam, any money helps.
If nothing else the experience and the ability to show future would-be employers that you are responsible enough to hold down and keep a job, helps.
Fyi in the real world a job at Micky D's flipping burgers does more bad than good if your looking for a real Job out side of fast food or retain. Imagine going for a job in IT and you put you been flipping burgers at micky d's for the past year lol your resume is going in the garbage.
So its better to say I been unemployed doing absolutely nothing for the last year? I work in an environment where I can decide who can and can't have a call back for a job and I would take someone who shows they want to try and work than someone who "Can't find a job or adapt"
[+]
By Bluespyder 2010-11-18 15:36:21
Link | Citer | R

Olue has won this thread hands down lol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Anbu
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-11-18 15:39:34
Link | Citer | R

Bluespyder said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
Pawnskipper said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
Pawnskipper said:
Asura.Olue said:
Yeah it sucks. They'll just have to take a less respectable job until their field of expertise opens up again. A lot of Americans have this entitlement attitude that they need to drop. I support some amount of a social safety net but this attitude where people are too good to work underemployed needs to stop. Unemployment benefits going for 99 weeks seems more like a safety trampoline to me.
Agreed. If you cant find a job and Wendy's is hiring, you damn sure better be flipping burgers. It sucks, but its money.
although i can see your point.. the problem with that is, most of these people were making $20+ hr. wages, and even with unemployment benefits they are still getting most of that + healthcare. the problem with working fast food is, that you are not making even close to what you would with your main job or unemployment, the avg. food service worker makes $7 an hr. that is not enough to make ends meet if you are trying to support a wife and kids its almost not even worth it to work those kinda jobs...
I agree. But whats better? No check, living on the streets....or a $300 check living on the streets. I know thats a little extreme. But when it boils down to it, when the checks stop coming from uncle sam, any money helps.
If nothing else the experience and the ability to show future would-be employers that you are responsible enough to hold down and keep a job, helps.
Fyi in the real world a job at Micky D's flipping burgers does more bad than good if your looking for a real Job out side of fast food or retain. Imagine going for a job in IT and you put you been flipping burgers at micky d's for the past year lol your resume is going in the garbage.
So its better to say I been unemployed doing absolutely nothing for the last year? I work in an environment where I can decide who can and can't have a call back for a job and I would take someone who shows they want to try and work than someone who "Can't find a job or adapt"

I'm not saying that ... I'm just saying don't put on your resume ^^
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-18 15:47:03
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Pawnskipper said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
Pawnskipper said:
Asura.Olue said:

I worked a factory job and at a dairy queen that my aunt owned at the same time before I got my....oh what will you have it an IT job.
They don't give a ***about where you work, just how much you know and how much you are willing to learn 99% of the time.
Depending on the task at hand being certified in a few things might help...but where you worked last year during this bad economy doesn't have much to do with the decision-making unless you just don't fit the qualifications of the job you are applying for :/
[+]
By Bluespyder 2010-11-18 15:51:38
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Bluespyder said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
Pawnskipper said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
Pawnskipper said:
Asura.Olue said:
I'm not saying that ... I'm just saying don't put on your resume ^^
Understood.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-18 16:05:59
Link | Citer | R

Pawnskipper said:
Asura.Olue said:

Considering people can't survive on Minimum wage, no. The only thing this does is hurt the economy more, everyone who voted against it needs to be replaced.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-18 16:06:34
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Oho~ho~ho~ho~ho republicans are in power I see, so these things are what shall be.

Shantotto for president 2012

Crazy *** for President, hmm where have I heard that before?
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-18 16:08:01
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
Pawnskipper said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
Pawnskipper said:
Asura.Olue said:

I worked a factory job and at a dairy queen that my aunt owned at the same time before I got my....oh what will you have it an IT job.
They don't give a ***about where you work, just how much you know and how much you are willing to learn 99% of the time.
Depending on the task at hand being certified in a few things might help...but where you worked last year during this bad economy doesn't have much to do with the decision-making unless you just don't fit the qualifications of the job you are applying for :/

That all depends on the Human Resources department, and quite frankly a lot of them probably do care, unfortunately.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-18 16:08:50
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Oho~ho~ho~ho~ho republicans are in power I see, so these things are what shall be.

O'Donnell? Palin? Hmm, Palin? Sarah Bumblefuck Palin?

I'd prefer Shantotto.
[+]
 Luz
By Luz 2010-11-18 16:11:36
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

I'd prefer Shantotto.

O'Donnell would be awesome, it's like Palin but funnier and less divisive! Omg I'd love to see those two debate!
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-18 16:12:10
Link | Citer | R

Luz said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

I'd prefer Shantotto.

O'Donnell would be awesome, it's like Palin but funnier and less divisive! Omg I'd love to see those two debate!

You'd like to see two dumb *** debate? why?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-18 16:12:48
Link | Citer | R

President:
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-18 16:13:24
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
President:
The rent is too damn high.
[+]
 Luz
By Luz 2010-11-18 16:13:33
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
President:

Black Hogan? xD
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-11-18 16:14:53
Link | Citer | R

RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-11-18 16:14:59
Link | Citer | R

Luz said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
President:

Black Hogan? xD
hell yeah he has my vote :D
 Titan.Lillica
Serveur: Titan
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-11-18 16:17:03
Link | Citer | R

My sister works full time and makes ~900 bucks a month.

I have been unemployed for a year and a half and get paid $1600 a month in unemployment, and I get $1100 a month from the GI Bill.

The unemployment thing is all messed up, but I love it personally.
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-11-18 16:29:03
Link | Citer | R

Meh, I got laid off a good while ago and have been applying for job after job with Quality Assurance Tech training with Charter Communications for 1 year, and a Call-center CSR job for a year before that :|, and i can't even get "Front desk clerk" jobs to call me back.

Job market is awful, even applied to Quick-Trips around my house, a McDonalds, a Taco-hut, and a Jack In the Box.

Applied for more jobs online than i can possible remember too.

I've even sent my resume into Temp agencies and they can't find *** :\

This is going to suck for me, And i'm not one of those "I got unemployment so who cares for a job?" People, Been spending hours daily scouring jobs online, in the paper, and putting in resumes around my house... Oh well.

If anything I'll end up cutting my lease, it'll be really bad, and move back with family until i can find a job... But ***.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-18 16:30:04
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Lillica said:
My sister works full time and makes ~900 bucks a month.

I have been unemployed for a year and a half and get paid $1600 a month in unemployment, and I get $1100 a month from the GI Bill.

The unemployment thing is all messed up, but I love it personally.

Original unemployment is paid for by the employer, the extensions come at the cost of the taxpayers, however it was decided that it beats the alternative: for those people to lose jobs and not have ANY money and the economy to completely collapse because of it, that's why the benefits were extended, same reason the other companies got "bailed out" it was a last ditch effort to prevent a total collapse.
 Asura.Raignes
user: Raignes
By Asura.Raignes 2010-11-18 16:33:45
Link | Citer | R

I'd love to have a job and making some money, but apparently only having a Bachelor's degree and no experience means that:

A) McD's (or whatever fast food joint) considers you too much of a flight risk once you get a better job to hire and train you.

B) Actual career-type jobs are out-of-reach because they can get a Master's degree with 10+ years experience for the same pay.

C) Internships are unavailable because I'm not still in school, so I can't even get *that* sort of experience.

Love the way HR drones think!

My thanks to good ol' G-dub and our wonderful Governor Jennifer Granholm (Michigan) for shitting all over the place.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-18 16:35:19
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Raignes said:

A) McD's (or whatever fast food joint) considers you too much of a flight risk once you get a better job to hire and train you.

Don't have to tell them you have a Bachelor's, lol.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-11-18 16:36:20
Link | Citer | R

Unemployment system is one of the most abused pos systems in existence for the US, it's too bad so many people take advantage of it and do not use it as it was intended. To most people, this is their money, this is their right, they are entitled to this "free" money.

The problem is, how do you get people to act as if there was no unemployment while they are on it? You can't most people figure it's free money they will kick back and let the dough roll in. Take it away from someone and then watch them look for a new job, for the people without the magical safety net (parents/family) to leech off of you'll see a complete turn around in enthusiasm.

It's just one of the many abused shitty programs in the US, people find exploits and weakness and suck these programs dry while the people who actually need these programs starve because of the limited resources left.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-18 16:37:31
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Unemployment system is one of the most abused pos systems in existence for the US, it's too bad so many people take advantage of it and do not use it as it was intended. To most people, this is their money, this is their right, they are entitled to this "free" money.

The problem is, how do you get people to act as if there was no unemployment while they are on it? You can't most people figure it's free money they will kick back and let the dough roll in. Take it away from someone and then watch them look for a new job, for the people without the magical safety net (parents/family) to leech off of you'll see a complete turn around in enthusiasm.

It's just one of the many abused shitty programs in the US, people find exploits and weakness and suck these programs dry while the people who actually need these programs starve because of the limited resources left.

Short of the current situation where it got extended, basic unemployment: it is their right, it is their money.
 Phoenix.Oumura
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-11-18 16:37:44
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

I'll just leave this here.
[+]
 Asura.Poupee
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-11-18 16:38:25
Link | Citer | R

want some extra cash and play ffxi or ffxiv? quit.
edit: nvm about ffxiv cause i think the sub. has been free since it released since blah blah
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-18 16:38:30
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Pawnskipper said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
Pawnskipper said:
Asura.Olue said:

I was more or less talking about someone with no working experience, or specific job training, someone like me, who never went to college and therefore would never be working in something like IT, and would have no REAL resume to speak of anyways...
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-11-18 16:39:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Raignes said:

B) Actual career-type jobs are out-of-reach because they can get a Master's degree with 10+ years experience for the same pay.

I disagree, I see a lot of companies turning these people away for being "over qualified" the main reason being the company understands the value of said person. It does not help the company long term to hire someone over qualified that will bail the second a better opportunity comes along. They would rather lock someone in at an entry level position where both parties are going to feel the security and ease of no change needed (the company won't feel obligated to promote and the worker will be less inclined into feeling they are entitled to a promotion)
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13