[Archive] Bushido - The Way Of The Samurai (A Guide)

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » [Archive] Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide)
[Archive] Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 35 36 37
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2013-03-05 17:53:11
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Keityan said: »
Also, if capped attack/acc occured on the Qilin vs ADL, why is it that Phorcy came up on top on one but not the other?.

Because Usu's 9 STR bumps fSTR up 1, which raises base damage by 1 on Qilin during melee, while both are capped for ADL.

Bismarck.Keityan said: »
I find it hard to believe that DA+4 and STR+9 would lose out to the small amount of overTP that may occur.

Using the ADL example:
Usukane +1, and its DA +4, increases your melee DPS to 438.974, which is higher than Phorcys' 437.707 melee DPS. But Phorcys' 5 STP increases your WS average by enough through overflow, 4099 to 4082, that it edges out Usukane overall.
By Cannonaire 2013-03-05 17:56:18
Link | Citer | R

Something you may want to consider in your guide, Ikishoten can cause complications in your Store TP build sometimes based on weapon delay. The way I understand it, Ikishoten adds a set amount of TP to the amount returned by the weapon before Store TP is calculated.

As an example:
437 delay (Masamune, Amanomurakumo) returns base 11.1 TP before Store TP is calculated. With 4/5 Ikishoten merits, you add 12 TP to that then calculate the final value using Store TP. Since the amount added by Ikishoten is more than the base TP, you don't have to make an special considerations for Zanshin hits with x-hit builds and the extra TP is overflow. With these weapons, you do not need 5/5 Ikishoten.

Example 2:
464 delay (Kantonotachi) returns base 12.2 TP before Store TP. Since this is more than the 12 added by Ikishoten 4/5, you need to calculate and add extra Store TP in order to ensure you keep your x-hit, otherwise Ikishoten is a total waste and you will end up being stuck at 98~99 TP.

460 delay returns exactly 12 base TP; 4/5 Ikishoten merits is enough for any weapon with lower delay, but you need 5/5 Ikishoten merits or special considerations for any weapon with higher delay.

TL;DR if your weapon has higher than 460 delay, you need 5/5 Ikishoten.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-03-05 18:11:16
Link | Citer | R

Cannonaire said: »
Something you may want to consider in your guide, Ikishoten can cause complications in your Store TP build sometimes based on weapon delay. The way I understand it, Ikishoten adds a set amount of TP to the amount returned by the weapon before Store TP is calculated. As an example: 437 delay (Masamune, Amanomurakumo) returns base 11.1 TP before Store TP is calculated. With 4/5 Ikishoten merits, you add 12 TP to that then calculate the final value using Store TP. Since the amount added by Ikishoten is more than the base TP, you don't have to make an special considerations for Zanshin hits with x-hit builds and the extra TP is overflow. With these weapons, you do not need 5/5 Ikishoten. Example 2: 464 delay (Kantonotachi) returns base 12.2 TP before Store TP. Since this is more than the 12 added by Ikishoten 4/5, you need to calculate and add extra Store TP in order to ensure you keep your x-hit, otherwise Ikishoten is a total waste and you will end up being stuck at 98~99 TP. 460 delay returns exactly 12 base TP; 4/5 Ikishoten merits is enough for any weapon with lower delay, but you need 5/5 Ikishoten merits or special considerations for any weapon with higher delay. TL;DR if your weapon has higher than 460 delay, you need 5/5 Ikishoten.

Correct, Ikitoshen is calculated as TP = [base tp (3 + ikitoshen level) x Store TP

And while it can occasionally put you over on your x-hit with lower delay weapons, its virtually never advantateous to do less than 5/5 as that overTP is a BONUS and increases Weaponskill Calculation. (Obviously exluding Kaiten, but you won't ALWAYS be using Kaiten)
By Cannonaire 2013-03-05 18:18:50
Link | Citer | R

I did 4/5 Iki, 5/5 Overwhelm, and 1/5 Blade Bash. I still use Kantonotachi, so I adjusted my Store TP math to ensure 5-hit.

Different topic: Does Amano AM overwrite Yoichi AM?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-03-05 18:20:17
Link | Citer | R

I did 4/5 Iki, 5/5 Overwhelm, and 1/5 Blade Bash. I still use Kantonotachi, so I adjusted my Store TP math to ensure 5-hit. Different topic: Does Amano AM overwrite Yoichi AM?

Naw Yoichi overwrites everything else
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2013-03-05 20:00:04
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »
Judging if you're attack capped during melee is another matter, as not everyone has a pocket 4 song bard for minuets, COR for chaos roll or RDM for Dia 3 on every mob they fight.

But we have...

Tachi: Ageha!
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: AkiKrylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-03-06 07:59:47
Link | Citer | R

OP Update:

*Cosmetic and some detail changes done to the Job Ability and Job Trait Section (Thanks Jassik!) Still more to come~

*Cleaned up some of the TP mid-level and WS mid-level Sets

*Added in Ejiin's awesome Koga AM3 set. Thanks very much sir!
 Asura.Ina
Serveur: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-03-06 15:24:21
Link | Citer | R

Not that it's relevant exactly but you skipped over 20 in the store tp values (for the lv50 trait). Might also be worth noting that with Seigan active Third Eye recast merits only reduce the recast by 1 second each unless that has been changed.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-03-06 15:46:01
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ina said: »
Not that it's relevant exactly but you skipped over 20 in the store tp values (for the lv50 trait).

That was my oversight, good eye.

Might also be worth noting that with Seigan active Third Eye recast merits only reduce the recast by 1 second each unless that has been changed.

As far as I know that is still true, but I can't really endorse Third Eye merits.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-03-06 15:54:49
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
Might also be worth noting that with Seigan active Third Eye recast merits only reduce the recast by 1 second each unless that has been changed.

As far as I know that is still true, but I can't really endorse Third Eye merits.
I can't either, knowing the effect is cut keeps people away from them more though XD
 Asura.Sutebe
user: tebe
By Asura.Sutebe 2013-03-06 16:17:23
Link | Citer | R

for perfect PDT set id aim for this:

Earrings aug -2 PDT each
Dark ring 6% PDT

Caps out PDT and adds 5% annul 5% absorb
Also caps MDT with a fully merited shellra 5 with the option of 6% more MDT on ring
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-03-06 17:28:02
Link | Citer | R

Not that it's relevant exactly but you skipped over 20 in the store tp values (for the lv50 trait). Might also be worth noting that with Seigan active Third Eye recast merits only reduce the recast by 1 second each unless that has been changed.

Fixed, thanks!

Asura.Sutebe said: »
for perfect PDT set id aim for this:

Earrings aug -2 PDT each
Dark ring 6% PDT

Caps out PDT and adds 5% annul 5% absorb
Also caps MDT with a fully merited shellra 5 with the option of 6% more MDT on ring

Swapped this into the PDT set.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-03-06 17:36:38
Link | Citer | R

I am usually hesitant to put Dring into suggested PDT gear, since its pretty impractical for MOST players to obtain.
[+]
 Asura.Sutebe
user: tebe
By Asura.Sutebe 2013-03-07 07:01:21
Link | Citer | R

That's perfect PDT, best you can get. w/o D ring add in another dark with 6% and any back piece with at least 4%.
 Cerberus.Taint
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-03-07 08:33:47
Link | Citer | R

I did 4/5 Iki, 5/5 Overwhelm, and 1/5 Blade Bash. I still use Kantonotachi, so I adjusted my Store TP math to ensure 5-hit. Different topic: Does Amano AM overwrite Yoichi AM?

I've never actually tested it but I'll take your word.

The nice thing about Amano/Yoichi is Kaiten gives you the stp AM and Namas has a large TP return making either WS easy to 5hit after.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-03-07 09:09:53
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Taint said: »

The nice thing about Amano/Yoichi is Kaiten gives you the stp AM and Namas has a large TP return making either WS easy to 5hit after.

well, i guess if you have a higher level of aftermath up on amano, yoichi shouldn't overwrite, but 100tp namas will overwrite 300tp fudo.
By charlo999 2013-03-07 09:27:14
Link | Citer | R

That's perfect PDT, best you can get. w/o D ring add in another dark with 6% and any back piece with at least 4%.

For pure pdt wouldnt it be better to swap in -4% hands
wiglan neck
then add eludurs sachet
with -3 crit on the dark ring
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2013-03-07 09:44:11
Link | Citer | R

charlo999 said: »

For pure pdt wouldnt it be better to swap in -4% hands
wiglan neck
then add eludurs sachet
with -3 crit on the dark ring

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a pair of -4% PDT hands that sam can equip? At least I can't think of any.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-03-07 09:57:22
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Taint said: »

well, i guess if you have a higher level of aftermath up on amano, yoichi shouldn't overwrite, but 100tp namas will overwrite 300tp fudo.

Relic overwrites Emp. Thats why Masa/Yoichi doesn't work.

I'll test Relic/Relic tonight after work unless someone does it first.
By charlo999 2013-03-07 10:13:27
Link | Citer | R

Thought magma were, my bad.
spose its a case of -1 pdt Vs -5 crit then
 Asura.Jomen
user: Jomen
By Asura.Jomen 2013-03-07 10:59:56
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zelphes said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Krylon said: »
I was asked to math out some mid-level TP and WS sets for SAM. (this post has now been added to the OP in the Store TP section)

For the example I am going to assume that the person is using a Kantonotachi since it is the GKT that most casual SAMs would get (I would hope >.>).

Weapon Delay: 464

Multiplier for this weapon: 11.5 +
[(464-450)*1.5/30] = (14*1.5)/30 = 21/30 = 0.7

11.5 + 0.7 = 12.2

TP:

+47 Store TP In Gear

Shoha:

+7 Store TP In Gear

WS TP Return Calculation:
(100 + 47 (40 base STP + 7 STP in WS set)) = 147. 147/100 = 1.47

12.2*1.47 = 17.9

100-17.9 = 82.1 TP in 4 hits required for a 5-hit.

82.1/4 = 20.525

TP Set Calculation:

(100+87)/100 = 187/100 = 1.87

1.87*12.2 = 22.8 TP/hit. Well over the 20.525 required.

There may be some swaps to bring your STP down a bit in TP Phase (like swapping rajas for a pyrsoul or the unkai earring for a kemas earring), but for a mid level set overshooting 100 TP inst a huge deal.

TP:

1.73*12.2 = 21.1

21.1*4 = 84.4

Shoha:

1.46*12.2 = 17.8

84.4+17.8+1.4 = 103.6

That set can be trimmed by alot.

Changes:

- Unkai Kabuto to Phorcys/Zelus Tiara

- Unkai Nodowa to Ganesha/Rancor Collar/Portus Collar

- Misuuchia Kappa to Atheling

- use Moonshade (TP bonus) or STR earring over Unkai earring for WS

- can WS in a second pyrosoul over rajas

Need +33 STP in gear assuming max STP merits. It's a true 5-hit even if 2nd hit of Shoha misses

Glad there's finally a guide on this site so I can discuss SAM! So, I'm a little confused here, clear it up for me.

I'm seeing we need +33 STP in gear with max merits. Sticking this into the FFXICALC (Mine could be old) I'm coming out with minimum 41 STP in gear for just 20.0 tp back. And I did note the high end TP set giving 20.7 TP back per hit at 47 STP with a 437 GKT. Great guide, nice to see SAMs talking it up.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-03-07 11:11:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Jomen said: »

Thanks for the comments :)

This set was referring to using a higher delay GKT (Kantonotachi Delay 464 or Kikugosaku Delay 480) which gives you a 12.2 multiplier rather than 11.1.

33 STP gives you 73 STP with merits/99SAM which is 73+100 = 173/100 = 1.73 * 12.2 = 21.1

;)
 Asura.Jomen
user: Jomen
By Asura.Jomen 2013-03-07 11:19:22
Link | Citer | R

Good stuff, just making sure I didn't fudge stuff up with my Masa 95 lol. Thanks.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-03-07 11:25:16
Link | Citer | R

^_^

Yea depending on how much STP is in your Fudo/Shoha set you need a lot more STP in your TP set to maintain that 5 hit.

What are your current sets? Can math it out here if you aren't sure if you are getting it right.
 Ragnarok.Goldnboy
user: Goldnboy
By Ragnarok.Goldnboy 2013-03-07 12:06:18
Link | Citer | R

Good stuff, just making sure I didn't fudge stuff up with my Masa 95 lol. Thanks.

Basing off your ffxiah set thats showing... Your at 85 STP in which you will/should gain 20.5 TP in TP set. So debating on what you have in WS set.... Ya you should get Misuucha Kappa for TP set
 Ragnarok.Goldnboy
user: Goldnboy
By Ragnarok.Goldnboy 2013-03-07 12:07:25
Link | Citer | R

BTW Thank Krylon For writing this up! Good Job!
 Odin.Zelphes
user: Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-03-07 12:22:52
Link | Citer | R

The optimal TP/Fudo sets needs 87 STP during TP, 56 STP during WS.

But you likely gonna need 88 STP in gear, and 55 STP for Fudo if you don't have that gear. That's including max merits.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-03-07 13:09:22
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zelphes said: »

The optimal TP/Fudo sets needs 87 STP during TP, 56 STP during WS.

But you likely gonna need 88 STP in gear, and 55 STP for Fudo if you don't have that gear. That's including max merits.

Yes, The 3 or 4 most common mid-high sets feature 88/55 split for masamune. All sets assume 30 from trait, 10 from merit.
 Shiva.Kinzu
Serveur: Shiva
user: Pra
By Shiva.Kinzu 2013-03-07 23:41:53
Link | Citer | R

Hi All,

I've read through all the posts, and thank you all for the insight on builds and such, right now I'm struggling with mine a tad bit because of not having a rose strap. Usukane +1 feet will be completed within the next day or two while Head +1 was my next upgrade but I am a little hesistant especially when AM down on amano since I would be sitting @43 STP and my return would not give me a enough for a proper x build on shoha (assuming I don't spam Kaiten) Tottally understand, there will be situations such as VW, Embrava etc that could modify my builds. Planning more so, for outside content and the upcoming embrava nerf.

R. Strap or gtfo it seems?

Still catching up with Campaign, until I can get my R. Strap. Below are my set's.

Current TP Set

Been switching between Phasmida/Bullwhip. Really hesitant on NQ Phos right now because of the upcoming expansion.
I don't VW as often, so outside of VW/Abys I spam Kaiten.

WS Kaiten

Could sub in Justicar's/Wanion or Beir +1, but if I'm that low on attack I probably should be using Shoha yea? Definitely get better #'s with Kaiten because my Amano is 99, and I don't have the most opitmal Shoha set imo

WS Shoha

Have Mala/Windbuffet available depending on my buffs, but once again it depends on the situation. Definitely need to get a moon shade earring.

Optimal TP - Will be spamming Kaiten w/
Since I'm still 2 months away, assuming I spam Kaiten I could get away with Pole grip/potential D. Grip till I have R. Strap (still 2 months away...)

With AM up this build should be perfectly ok? With AM down, I'd assume since I don't have R. Strap I could put in Goading and or remove Usu +1 head correct and go back to Phorcys salade.

Outside of Phos +1, Tenryu +1, R. Strap, & Moonshade earring, could anyone offer me some more advice on my build?

Thanks for your time! Quite sleepy, so may have jacked some stuff up lol.
 Odin.Zelphes
user: Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-03-08 01:06:56
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Kinzu said: »

Make Regain/Embrava build, and non-Regain build. You can use that set for Shoha too (non-regain) if you WS in AF3 legs, Rajas, Misuuchi Kappa, Brutal.

Or use Phorcys Salade when AM down.

Would use Bregos until Tenryu+1.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 35 36 37