Let's Start A Riot?!?!

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Let's start a riot?!?!
Let's start a riot?!?!
First Page 2 3 ... 45 46 47 ... 117 118 119
 Shiva.Zerowone
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-06-03 18:29:38
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
can't wait for all those covid #'s to sky rocket. Don't know why I'm not seeing anything from the medical community warning about the protesters and social distancing. If the covid #'s don't sky rocket then this whole pandemic is a hoax and the media should be blamed for ruining the economy

The numbers are already going up rapidly from states reopening. If you’re not seeing the information you’re not trying.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
By Viciouss 2020-06-03 18:30:04
Link | Citer | R

Idiot Boy said: »
Viciouss said: »
I guess Saevel hasn't watched the actual video, because every pundit alive is calling the case a slam dunk for murder two. He knelt on the guys neck for 8 minutes, and Saevel is trying to play the fear for my life card? Nah.

You're on the same side, here, man. He's pointing out the likely defense argument, and expressing concern about getting the Murder Two when Three can't fail.

Really? Because I don't see the charging of the other officers as a scare tactic to get them to flip. I don't believe their testimony is needed, I think all four are going down for murder 2.
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-03 18:31:19
Link | Citer | R

Man, you are really over optimistic.

It SHOULD be open and shut. Clear, can't be more obvious. That doesn't matter in court. Court is literally theater, you *** up ANYTHING, no matter how small, it's a wrap.

YouTube Video Placeholder
By volkom 2020-06-03 18:32:46
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Zerowone said: »
can't wait for all those covid #'s to sky rocket. Don't know why I'm not seeing anything from the medical community warning about the protesters and social distancing. If the covid #'s don't sky rocket then this whole pandemic is a hoax and the media should be blamed for ruining the economy

The numbers are already going up rapidly from states reopening. If you’re not seeing the information you’re not trying.

no, I mean way higher than that ~ and I guess i'm not trying hard enough to find any "news" article from the medical community but I guess we'll have to wait another week or so to find out if cases will immediately sky rocket further than before b/c of the protests
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-03 18:34:38
Link | Citer | R

I guess Saevel hasn't watched the actual video, because every pundit alive is calling the case a slam dunk for murder two. He knelt on the guys neck for 8 minutes, and Saevel is trying to play the fear for my life card? Nah.

You're on the same side, here, man. He's pointing out the likely defense argument, and expressing concern about getting the Murder Two when Three can't fail.

Yeah Murder 3 and negligent homicide / murder is a slam dunk. There is zero arguement that the officer didn't wrongfully cause Mr. Floyds death through the use of excessive force.

The only thing that's gonna be debated is intent. Can the Prosecution prove to a jury, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the officer intended Mr. Floyd's death.

Murder 1 = you planned the persons death

Murder 2 = you didn't plan but were so enraged (heat of passion is the term used) that you intentionally killed soneone.

Murder 3 (not all states have) = you didn't plan or intend to kill someone but knew your negligence would cause their death. Think the legal term is "depraved heart".
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-03 18:38:22
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I doubt the defense will be that good imo.

It's almost a guarantee that anyone representing the cops will be harassed, their offices torched, the lawyers attacked constantly.

That's how this mob feels atm.

It would be even worse if the cops actually win, so even if they get stellar attorneys, it's highly unlikely they will put their best effort in in fear of their lives and business.

Ohh boy there are plenty of attorneys who would love this case. Imagine if your the guy who "got Floyd's killer off", instantly a huge line forms to bid on your services. Winning this case would be instant wealth and fame. Rich people would pay you anything to help them out.

Show me a riot burning a mansion. The wealthy are unaffected by this and employ security anyway.
Administrator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-06-03 18:43:41
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
Phh boy there are plenty of attorneys who would love this case. Imagine if your the guy who "got Floyds killer off", instantly a huge line forms to bid on your services. Winning this case would be instant wealth and fame. Rich people would pay you anything to help them out.

Show me a riot burning a mansion. The wealthy are unaffected by this and employ security anyway.

It's like people forgot how the Kardashians got famous in the first place
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-06-03 18:52:38
Link | Citer | R

Conspiracy thought but check the tape:

What about those EMTs wearing bulletproof vests and what looks more like a brown sheriffs uniform than that of EMT; that came and put George Floyd on the gurney.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-03 19:19:39
Link | Citer | R

Phh boy there are plenty of attorneys who would love this case. Imagine if your the guy who "got Floyds killer off", instantly a huge line forms to bid on your services. Winning this case would be instant wealth and fame. Rich people would pay you anything to help them out.

It's like people forgot how the Kardashians got famous in the first place
In my defense, I never cared about the flakes.
By volkom 2020-06-03 19:23:24
Link | Citer | R

What about those EMTs wearing bulletproof vests and what looks more like a brown sheriffs uniform than that of EMT; that came and put George Floyd on the gurney.

they're in on it too. riot against EMTs. riot against all law enforcement
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-06-03 19:27:52
Link | Citer | R

they're in on it too. riot against EMTs. riot against all law enforcement

That wasn’t the direction I was going with that... but OK!
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-03 21:50:07
Link | Citer | R

no, I mean way higher than that ~ and I guess i'm not trying hard enough to find any "news" article from the medical community but I guess we'll have to wait another week or so to find out if cases will immediately sky rocket further than before b/c of the protests

Yes if you step outside your home the COVID zombies rush and infect you, especially at a christian church. Except if your rioting and looting redistributing unfairly earned wealth, then your perfectly safe from the COVID.
[+]
By Prong 2020-06-03 21:53:36
Link | Citer | R

Really? Because I don't see the charging of the other officers as a scare tactic to get them to flip. I don't believe their testimony is needed, I think all four are going down for murder 2.

I'm very, very skeptical the other 3 will be convicted for murder. I think Ellison just chose that charge to SEEM like he was listening to the screams, but that's a risky charge on them since technically, they did nothing more than allow someone to put another's life in jeopardy (being there is no way to prove in this case Chauvin INTENDED to kill Mr. Floyd).

I think something like criminal neglect/gross indifference to human life would have been a much more sensible charge (for the other 3, not Chauvin) and would have closer to a 100% chance of sticking, but the masses want blood and they won't be satisfied unless they all get Murder 1 convictions with the Death Sentence anyhow.
 Sylph.Snk
Serveur: Sylph
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2020-06-03 21:56:22
Link | Citer | R

For all the riots happening around the country ~ New Orleans seems to have their ***together and imo its awesome.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/orleans/nopd-to-address-protests-outside-agitators-at-1230-press-conference/289-0a83190e-ff79-4273-8dc3-dde54318919a

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS — With more protests planned in New Orleans this week, police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson says he applauds the protestors who have kept the peace.

Standing in front of headquarters on Tuesday morning, the New Orleans police chief asked protestors to not "take the bait" from others who would incite violence during otherwise peaceful protests.

"Anyone wishing to cause any issues of violence, destruction... we're prepared to engage them," Ferguson said.

Ferguson said the department had received information that people from other cities were possibly traveling to "create chaos, create nonsense, create a disruption."

"So I'm asking the city of New Orleans, our community, even our visitors who are here now, please do not take the bait."

The chief's words come amid days of civil unrest across the country in which some cities have seen looting, buildings burned to the ground, and clashes between protestors and police.

But protests in New Orleans have painted a picture of peace that Ferguson and other community leaders praised as a "beacon of light" and a great example on how to raise a community's voice without violence.

"It's okay to be angry, but my grandmother taught me a lesson: It's not what you do, it how you do what you do," Bishop Lester Love of the City of Love church said. "Now New Orleans has the opportunity to be a leader that it has been for a few days, knowing how to protest, how to be people of peace, how to stand like King, like Gandhi, like Jesus did."

"Our citizens have been voicing their concerns without the violence and we're encouraging them to continue to do so," Ferguson said.

With more protests planned in New Orleans, leaders hope that the peace continues.

You know I read this and my 1st thoughts were along the lines of after the shitstorm that was hurricane Katrina, I'm sure most of the people there weren't up to destroying what took many years of rebuilding.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-06-03 21:57:57
Link | Citer | R

If there isn't a huge spike and zombie outbreak of COVID due to these riots, then I will be completely justified in what I was saying in the other thread that it was overblown. I still find it funny how they aren't shaming people for not social distancing anymore lol!
[+]
By Prong 2020-06-03 22:00:46
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
If there isn't a huge spike and zombie outbreak of COVID due to these riots, then I will be completely justified in what I was saying in the other thread that it was overblown. I still find it funny how they aren't shaming people for not social distancing anymore lol!

I *think* (correct me if I am wrong, I got this second hand) they reported something like, 19,000 new cases in just the past two days?

I'm just waiting for them to blame Trump for the spike in Covid cases among the minority population.
By volkom 2020-06-03 22:05:09
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Snk said: »
You know I read this and my 1st thoughts were along the lines of after the shitstorm that was hurricane Katrina, I'm sure most of the people there weren't up to destroying what took many years of rebuilding.

I think its a great example of how the protests of this event should be. Its a shame that innocent people that were beaten or killed were caused by looters who sought an opportunity during a protest about police brutality. It takes away from the message that's trying to be conveyed.
By Viciouss 2020-06-03 22:18:34
Link | Citer | R

Prong said: »

I *think* (correct me if I am wrong, I got this second hand) they reported something like, 19,000 new cases in just the past two days?

I'm just waiting for them to blame Trump for the spike in Covid cases among the minority population.

Too low. We have been adding over 20k a day for the last 3 months.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2020-06-03 22:20:40
Link | Citer | R

Only takes away from it if you're willfully ignoring the cops beating the ***out of people who aren't participating in the rioting and looting.

You know, the vast majority of the people present.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-03 22:24:47
Link | Citer | R

Too low. We have been adding over 20k a day for the last 3 months.
No, it fluctuates between 16k to 22k.

This has been steady since May 1st.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-03 22:26:59
Link | Citer | R

I'm very, very skeptical the other 3 will be convicted for murder. I think Ellison just chose that charge to SEEM like he was listening to the screams, but that's a risky charge on them since technically, they did nothing more than allow someone to put another's life in jeopardy (being there is no way to prove in this case Chauvin INTENDED to kill Mr. Floyd).

I think something like criminal neglect/gross indifference to human life would have been a much more sensible charge (for the other 3, not Chauvin) and would have closer to a 100% chance of sticking, but the masses want blood and they won't be satisfied unless they all get Murder 1 convictions with the Death Sentence anyhow.

There is exactly zero chance for

Quote:
aiding and abetting second-degree murder while committing a felony, and with aiding and abetting second-degree murder manslaughter with culpable negligence

to stick.

If they were normal people there be a snowballs chance but they were lawfully appointed representatives of the government performing their duties. There is no evidence to date of any of the other three actually doing anything. In fact they are being charged with a negative crime, because they didn't stop the Chauvin. That's sufficient to fire them but not enough to convince a jury to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. And don't think for a minute there is gonna be some sort of special exception to the US Constitution made, Voir dire will ensure there is at least one if not more seated jurors who won't convict.

The absolute most they could pull off is gross negligence if they can prove each of the other police officers knew Chauvin was going to kill Mr. Floyd. We thought intent was hard to prove, try proving prior knowledge, especially against a Police Officer who is smart enough to listen to good lawyers. Otherwise all that's going to happen is the other three will be found not-guilty or have a mistrial because they are going to use the "I was following procedure in assisting apprehension of a suspect to a reported crime". And those three were following procedure, everything they did was inline with normal Police operations. It was Chauvin's use of excessive force that killed Mr Floyd.

Guys I know those of the extreme side of the political spectrum seem to lose touch with reality but there is this thing called the US Constitution and it spells out how situations like this are handled. 5th and 14th Amendments are quite clear on due process, eighth is quite clear about "cruel and unusual punishments". People don't get to bypass the law just to makes themselves feel better. Guilt by association isn't gonna work in an actual court room with actual lawyers and a defendant who refused to allow themselves to be interrogated interviewed.

This is why I believe this is a tactic to sate the blood lust of the mob while also giving the other officers a really good reason to provide testimony against Chauvin. Remember earlier I said it's almost impossible to prove intent without self incrimination? Well this is one of the ways around that, if you can't get someone to incriminate themselves before their lawyer shows up, get others who where with them to incriminate them instead. It's not as good as self incrimination (really hard for a defense to argue against itself) but if you get enough of it then it could swing a jurors decision.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-03 22:55:33
Link | Citer | R

That's sufficient to fire them but not enough to convince a jury to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. And don't think for a minute there is gonna be some sort of special exception to the US Constitution made, Voir dire will ensure there is at least one if not more seated jurors who won't convict.
If this case was like any other, you would be correct.

Since this is a special case due to the overwhelmingly media coverage and the protests associated with it, the jury will be emotional in these trials, and normal convictions will be thrown out the door.

I expect a *edit* quasi-kangaroo court on all 4 cases.
By Prong 2020-06-03 22:56:24
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Veikur said: »
Only takes away from it if you're willfully ignoring the cops beating the ***out of people who aren't participating in the rioting and looting.

Random people kicking the crap out of innocent people, just because they feel they can get away with it WILL take away from the public empathy of the message, and that doesn't make the people bad people for this happening.

This is a societal issue, where there are sharp divides between ideologies currently at work. If you want the MAXIMUM effect out of your protests, you need to do something about the small amount of opportunists doing their best to muck it up with their selfishness. Even many of the protesters understand this as there are a myriad of videos of actual protesters physically stopping some of the mayhem-causers.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-06-03 22:58:44
Link | Citer | R

If it even goes to trial, if I'm the defendants, I don't want the jury watching that 8+ minute video.
By Prong 2020-06-03 22:58:55
Link | Citer | R

That's sufficient to fire them but not enough to convince a jury to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. And don't think for a minute there is gonna be some sort of special exception to the US Constitution made, Voir dire will ensure there is at least one if not more seated jurors who won't convict.

Since this is a special case due to the overwhelmingly media coverage and the protests associated with it, the jury will be emotional in these trials, and normal convictions will be thrown out the door.

I HOPE you are right but...after the cop who shot that kid in the hallway of his apt WHILE begging them to not shoot him got off, I still reserve my doubts.
[+]
By volkom 2020-06-03 23:02:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Veikur said: »

cops beat the ***out of everyone every day and no one cares if its white on white, white on asian, white on hispanic, black on white, black on asian, black on hispanic ~ but the moment its white on black everyone flips their ***.

~ we have like 3 different races beating up on this white guy (bet he's a scumbag with a record or w.e) and we as a whole (media included) wouldn't even report on this

YouTube Video Placeholder

and why does it have to be this event in particular ~ only because the media blasted it all over TV and the Internet? ~ police brutality happens every day ~ If society believes this is absolutely wrong then why aren't there protests every day? Its only an issue if the media says so
[+]
By Prong 2020-06-03 23:05:25
Link | Citer | R

Yeah just watch some old episodes of COPs. It is literally cops just kicking the ***out of white dudes for an hour. And we watch it and laugh.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-03 23:06:06
Link | Citer | R

Nah man doesn't work that way. Juries aren't random, the defense and prosecution go through a huge number of candidates asking very provocative questions. Both sides then take turns striking people off the list. If they need more then more are pulled, if an untainted pool is impossible then the trial is moved elsewhere. The US Constitution mandates this, it's nonnegotiable if you happen to be inside the USA. Attempting to side step this is a guaranteed way ti get a conviction thrown out on appeal.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-06-03 23:22:26
Link | Citer | R

I HOPE you are right but...after the cop who shot that kid in the hallway of his apt WHILE begging them to not shoot him got off, I still reserve my doubts.

You absolutely do not want a kangaroo court by mob rule. There is a reason the founding fathers wrote the Constitution the way they did. It was designed precisely to protect against abuse in situations like this. Due process, fair trial by an impartial jury of their peers, no unreasonable punishments.

That means any defense lawyer worth their cost will get at least jury member if not more who aren't antifa supporters. The defense will then show the officer as just following procedures (the other three). The most the Prosecution can say is "officer X saw Chauvin kneeling on Mr Floyd's neck and did nothing". To which the defense lawyer responds "that is not the crime being charged." Remember this is the USA not Russia or Somalia, the state is required to prove all components of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of six to twelve. ALL members of that jury must vote to convict on the charges presented. If only one member votes acquittal you have a mistrial or even a flat acquittal when the rest get tired of the holdout.

Again there is a reason over 99% of cases involve a plea deal. Getting the defendant to plea guilty to a smaller crime with reduced sentence is infinitely easier then gambling on a trial thats heavily in favor of the defense.
First Page 2 3 ... 45 46 47 ... 117 118 119