Forum » FFXI » Odyssey » The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 234 235 236 ... 238 239 240
By Taint 2024-03-02 16:55:18
Link | Citer | R

Arebati
By Tathamet 2024-03-03 23:23:37
Link | Citer | R

Tried a RUN BST RDM SCH DRK GEO setup tonight for a 2 keyitem mboze. Idea was the RUN would rayke and the bst slug pet would ooze at the start- hoping to chip off some HP and have that much less left to worry about a TP move slipping through. Couldn't get the HP down effect to stick though.

For those able to stick ooze on Mboze-

Are you skillchaining as well? Or just Rayke? Didn't try Frazzle in hindsight.

Are you waiting to see if the effect lands before engaging and TP drainkissing while a DD chips away to get the add out?

Is it even worth doing if you're managing to get the add out regardless? I feel it may be safer, but lots of potential for time loss.

Any other tips are appreciated.
 Asura.Warmoose
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Hillclimb
By Asura.Warmoose 2024-03-04 01:30:24
Link | Citer | R

Tathamet said: »
Tried a RUN BST RDM SCH DRK GEO setup tonight for a 2 keyitem mboze. Idea was the RUN would rayke and the bst slug pet would ooze at the start- hoping to chip off some HP and have that much less left to worry about a TP move slipping through. Couldn't get the HP down effect to stick though.

Are you waiting to see if the effect lands before engaging and TP drainkissing while a DD chips away to get the add out?

Is it even worth doing if you're managing to get the add out regardless? I feel it may be safer, but lots of potential for time loss.

We just oozed a mboze tonight for a charge. Firesday as well. Nothing special, Just RUN+BST+2 burner mules.

Is your GEO doing an indi-Meva down when you ooze?

We also did a 2nd charge with odd jobs, and experimenting. Was able to do WAR BRD SMN RDM + healing trusts, and get it to 75% with 4 min left on the clock just doing savage/hysteric assault and mewing.

I dont think the ooze is worth the squeeze. 6 people are more than capable of bringing it to 75%.
By Godfry 2024-03-04 08:33:29
Link | Citer | R

Tathamet said: »

Make sure you are using rayke with unda. Also make sure the bst doesn't swap out the pet macc set. I usually lock the set in place for slug.
By Godfry 2024-03-04 14:57:02
Link | Citer | R

If you land kaustra on Bumba V25 and he uses sforzo at 40%, will the dot still damage him? Or it also removes the kaustra's DOT?
 Ragnarok.Martel
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2024-03-04 15:36:00
Link | Citer | R

Godfry said: »
If you land kaustra on Bumba V25 and he uses sforzo at 40%, will the dot still damage him? Or it also removes the kaustra's DOT?
I haven't personally tested this, but I'm near certain that no form of damage reduction or immunity applies to DoT damage. Even absorption doesn't. You can poison a water absorbing mob, and they still take DoT damage.

The only thing I can think of that does interact with DoTs is stoneskin. (EDIT:oooh, I should check if BLU's Magic shield works too. Since it is effectively a magic only stoneskin effect. That'd be an interesting test)

It would be good to test, which could be done in PVP, but I think there's pretty much no chance that Sforzo would prevent the DoT when used after the fact.
[+]
By Godfry 2024-03-04 18:13:06
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Godfry said: »
I haven't personally tested this, but I'm near certain that no form of damage reduction or immunity applies to DoT damage. Even absorption doesn't. You can poison a water absorbing mob, and they still take DoT damage.

The only thing I can think of that does interact with DoTs is stoneskin. (EDIT:oooh, I should check if BLU's Magic shield works too. Since it is effectively a magic only stoneskin effect. That'd be an interesting test)

It would be good to test, which could be done in PVP, but I think there's pretty much no chance that Sforzo would prevent the DoT when used after the fact.

What we know for sure, and that's why I am asking, is that Kaustra will land for zero damage and will proceed to do zero damage on him. We don't know if an already landed kaustra will continue to do DOT.

But based on what you said, it probably will keep doing damage, so landing a kaustra before 40% is recommended!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-04 21:35:58
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
oooh, I should check if BLU's Magic shield works too. Since it is effectively a magic only stoneskin effect.

It doesn't; since it only works on magic damage, and DoTs (the damage per tic, not the spell, ws, etc. itself) are neither physical nor magical damage. Stoneskin only works because it effectively acts as an invisible temporary HP buff that is damage type agnostic (despite what the description says, it still works on unaspected damage like requiescat).
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-08 17:04:49
Link | Citer | R

Does anybody know if Corrosive Ooze sticks on Kalunga?
I mean Corrosive Ooze, the Def- move that's Fire based, leading me to think it won't stick on Kalunga.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2024-03-08 17:16:28
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
I mean Corrosive Ooze, the Def- move that's Fire based, leading me to think it won't stick on Kalunga.
Defense down is wind based and I think the Oosze itself is water based.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-08 17:20:01
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bippin said: »
Defense down is wind based and I think the Oosze itself is water based.
Purulent Ooze (the HP-10% move) is water based.
Corrosive Ooze is a move that deals fire damage. The Def- is in general wind based indeed, but will it stick if it's bound on a Fire based move, against a target that's fire resistant like Kalunga?
That was my doubt.
By jubes 2024-03-08 17:21:46
Link | Citer | R

all slug moves are water damage
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-08 17:23:21
Link | Citer | R

jubes said: »
So BG-wiki is wrong?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Dire_Broth
By jubes 2024-03-08 17:29:04
Link | Citer | R

not sure what you're referring to, that page shows both as water
Edit: oh the description, yeah that's wrong.
[+]
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2024-03-08 17:31:05
Link | Citer | R

jubes said: »
So BG-wiki is wrong?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Dire_Broth

Yes.

That page does say the move is water damage but then also says Deals Fire elemental damage to enemies within area of effect. So something is wrong but as Jubes says I was under the impression its water based.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-03-08 18:19:07
Link | Citer | R

It's a typo. The blue magic spell, slug, and BST guide pages all list it as water damage. The defense down is guaranteed to land on practically everything, so you can use it on Kalunga.
[+]
By Seun 2024-03-08 19:12:53
Link | Citer | R

Corrosive Ooze is a move that deals fire damage. The Def- is in general wind based indeed, but will it stick if it's bound on a Fire based move, against a target that's fire resistant like Kalunga?

I think the attack down element has priority over defense down, similar to how Dia and Bio work. Also lines up with things like indi/geo wilt being attack down water-based spells.
By Nariont 2024-03-08 19:29:15
Link | Citer | R

The atk/def down is non-elemental like angon. There's been testing on bst forums for landing it on things it shouldnt be able t oland on if it had an element attached. It just works
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-08 19:30:33
Link | Citer | R

Dia and Bio work on a purely tier based priority, has nothing to do with def/atk elements. Under normal circumstances the attack and defense downs would both check for resists independently but, as stated before very recently in a couple of other threads, BST's Corrosive Ooze does not have an macc check at all so it's all irrelevant.
[+]
By Seun 2024-03-08 21:00:51
Link | Citer | R

I understand that the debuff portion of the spell is non-element specific, just pointing out the relation of the elements to spell effects in general.

We don't use these spells for their damage obviously, but I assumed only the damage portion of the spell was subject to resist checks.

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Dia and Bio work on a purely tier based priority, has nothing to do with def/atk elements.

Light and dark oppose each other rather than having strengths and weaknesses like the other elements. In cases of the same 'tier', darkness takes priority. That doesn't mean that it has to work that way for other/all spells, it just happens to work for this one.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-09 05:34:41
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
It's a typo. The blue magic spell, slug, and BST guide pages all list it as water damage. The defense down is guaranteed to land on practically everything, so you can use it on Kalunga.
Tried to fix it on BG-Wiki but I don't find the description about the two abilities.
It's in an "include" at the end of the page but I don't know how to fix it.

If anybody knows how to do that or wants to teach me how I'll be very glad, thanks.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-15 02:21:17
Link | Citer | R

Can anybody suggest a full BLU spell list for Kalunga V25? Or at least some spells you consider mandatory / extremely useful for this fight?

Wanna see if there's something that I couldn't think of.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2024-03-15 07:48:30
Link | Citer | R

Diamondhide I used alot, especially when your turning away for the Incinerating Lahar. gives a nice buffer for the tank, erase on the tank would be nice, healing breeze as well
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-15 07:55:03
Link | Citer | R

more like White Wind rather than Healing Breeze. Unless you think Breeze would be better for some reason? I'm a noob BLU and it's exactly why I made that post.

Winds of Promy. ok
Diamondhide hmm, how does it interact with cureskin from WHM? Hope it doesn't "stop" cureskin or it could be annoying.

A friend also suggested me to use Rending Deluge because it always dispels stuff from Kalunga, and the same friend was making a point of using Plenilune Embrace (supposing the moon phase is not in a super bad one) to give the WAR a nice att boost.
Eeeh I guess it makes sense, but can't say I'm looking forward to be casting that 20000 times, given the short duration.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-15 08:05:25
Link | Citer | R

Outside of turning around because of weakness scenarios, casting spells is going to be a DPS loss for BLU, so I wouldn't be setting many/any spells for the express purpose of casting them throughout the fight.

Granted, I don't think I've done many attempts of V25 Kalunga with a BLU involved so take it with a grain of salt, this is not direct experience.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-15 08:06:51
Link | Citer | R

Diamondhide is overwritten by Cureskin. It's more useful for mitigating AOE on the not-tanks though how worthwhile that is can be dubious. Lahar is as good a use for it as any tho.

Rending Deluge always dispels from ANYTHING. I've mentioned it many times in various places now but it has no macc check, can dispel any enemy with it as long as they don't have complete immunity to enfeebling magic (pots with shields up). That said this shouldn't really be cast either, Batholithic Shell is one of this thing's favored abilities and it will just reapply by the time you've cleared all of its buffs. If you need or want to do it for the last push at 25% pop Unbridled Wisdom and use Droning Whirlwind which will remove every buff at once.

Practically 0 chance plenilune is worth the time to cast outside of maybe full moon. Maintenance time isn't worth it when you're also supposed to be dealing damage. Not an issue for you since you're bringing a WAR but for the BLU BST setup I definitely would never bother.

That said since you have no BST you'll have to keep DEF down up and honestly trying to keep Scouring Spate on may be beneficial too if your healer is struggling.

Also worth noting it really isn't your job to be spamming Erase either. The WHM handles Def downs and the tank should be Panaceaing off their Searing Serration debuffs if necessary as waiting for the requisite number of Erases is a bad time. If for whatever reason the WHM cant keep up Winds of Promy might help, but whwt would help even more is for people in danger to use pans instead of trying to fix a leaky ship 1 erase at a time. You're there to provide good damage while also tossing out emergency heals, mighty guard (other than defensive benefits, it means you only need one march and your whm doesn't have to worry about haste cycles), the occasional debuff, and being generally easy to heal due to your innate sturdiness (preferably you're tanking the Mata's ST attacks). In the case of catastrophe Ive also seen BLU tank the trex until the tank recovers (on winning runs even)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-15 08:29:44
Link | Citer | R

for Def Down I was thinking about Tenebral Crush. Then Tourbillion under 40%, supposing we get lucky with RD/WC/RD or might even use SP2 for that I guess.

Scouring Spate is a nice idea.
I'm just a bit worried that in the frenzy of the moment I'm gonna have a hard time correctly tracking all these debuffs wearing off =/
I never used the Debuffed addon on BLU but since these are not direct debuffs but embed unto other spells, they give no specific chat message about landing/resisting and as a consequence Debuffed has no way to know if a debuff sticked or not, right?
You only get the "wears off" message if I recall.

How long does a Kalunga V25 win take on average? Want to get an idea of how to plan Unbridled/Diffusion CD resets for Mighty Guard and whatnot.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-15 08:31:27
Link | Citer | R

I will tell you that landing DEF down without slug or SV wind threnody is very difficult. Yes Tenebral is the go to. If you didn't use UW on Droning then using it on Tourb is a good idea, that said you won't have SV Threnody at that point without a reset and landing that can also be fickle to begin with.

Depending on the quality of your group I'd expect the fight to take close to the entire 15 minutes. Idk what the fastest kill ever was but assume 12+ minutes minimum for the average group.

Obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat but I'd really go in expecting to minimize your casting time since as the BLU you are one of the primary DDs, you just have some fun tricks to add sometimes and can save a wipe if you're good.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-15 08:37:08
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Depending on the quality of your group I'd expect the fight to take close to the entire 15 minutes. Idk what the fastest kill ever was but assume 12+ minutes minimum for the average group.
Ok that's slower than Ngai and Xevioso then.

Considering Soul Voice NiTro Threnody should last around 9,5 mins, won't be able to have it for the full duration of the fight, but close to that though.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-15 08:38:51
Link | Citer | R

Yeah he's definitely slower than those 2, especially slower than Xevi. I'd argue that Kalunga can be easier than most of the others to do with a single moglophone, don't think many groups bother with that though.
First Page 2 3 ... 234 235 236 ... 238 239 240