Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-12-04 12:37:59
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
zixxer said: »
-seeing cors and brds beat heavy dds in dps

I always find it a bit odd to judge a DD by whether they lose to a cor or not, as opposed to doing way less damage than their gear/job allow them to do.

I meant if an average geared Nyame r20 war lose to a BiS r25 war, you don't see people make fun of the average geared war because they just accept their gear is worse thus doing less damage.

Like wise if a liberator drk lose to a KC naegling DRG, people just accept "KC naegling OP", instead of laughing at the losing DD for doing less damage with their builds.

But for some reason, losing to cor(as opposed to losing to equally or worse geared DD or COR) become some kind of laughing stock with Job being the only criteria.....

I guess it's one of these weird conventional beliefs that doesn't actually make sense....

I played heavy DD and COR in Odyssey, and we had a great DD BRD too. I'd be competitive with some heavy DD in my group while playing COR, but that's because they naturally aren't as quick at getting from mob to mob and weapon skilling often. Odyssey farming is all about flowing with the switching from one target to the next, especially if you're not going with a tank. Also, those who get to a camp first to pull, naturally gain an advantage. When I'm on heavy DD, I never have a BRD or COR competing with me for damage. In a perfect world, heavy DD should be quite a bit ahead, provided they aren't KO'd early or having major lag issues. The important thing, which is something some groups gloss over, is it's all about the player reaching their own potential.

You can't expect player B, an older person who casually plays the game and doesn't have the greatest reflexes, to match up with the younger player A who is smoother with their gameplay. It should be about getting the best out of each individual player and recognizing when they hit their potential. Their best effort could only be 75% of what you can do, but they still put in 100% with what they have. This is where a COR may overtake a heavy DD, because the COR is a smooth player with BiS gear (and tools?) against someone who isn't set up as well and isn't physically capable of doing what they do.

So, I agree. It's not purely about Job A vs. Job B. It's about player A getting all they can out of Job A, and the same for B, and not everyone plays the game like their lives depend on it.
 Asura.Iamaman
Serveur: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-12-04 13:02:29
Link | Citer | R

-people popping hydra lol

I feel attacked.

I did this on accident once when I forgot I had the items in my inventory and had a brainfart. As soon as I saw the 3 fugly heads, I knew what I had done.
By Serjero 2022-12-04 15:11:54
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
So, I agree. It's not purely about Job A vs. Job B. It's about player A getting all they can out of Job A, and the same for B, and not everyone plays the game like their lives depend on it.

Nah it's all about who uses JA0 + Autows and who has less packet loss due to lag. As well as who gets trolled less by autotarget. Most heavy DDs should be within 5% of each unless you had really favorable camps for one flavor of DD vs the other. This is assuming equivalent gear and Master Levels.
 Asura.Nesspoot
user: Nesspoot
By Asura.Nesspoot 2022-12-04 16:37:07
Link | Citer | R

I feel almost obliged to defend the overall spirit of the Asura Odyssey seg farm shout culture. I've been in some really great shout groups and some really bad ones but I think the most typical pug group at this point at least makes it to the end—even if it's with a paltry bonus.

We've all had those runs where someone just snaps or some early mistake happens and the morale falls apart and people cuss each other out or people don't know their jobs and you wipe and those runs certainly suck, but they make sense to me because a good seg farm requires equal parts good gear (and ody gear through empy+2 has made getting functional DT gear even easier) along with good direction/teamwork. Sometimes you just get a bad roll! For me, those really bad runs have been way less common than the 400k-700k bonus run with genuinely cool people of different skill levels who are trying with the increasingly common 1.1m bonus run. In the larger context of 600+ seg runs grinding away my life RPing Odyssey gear (before I have to start grinding it even more in a few days LOL), things aren't that bad on Asura IMO.

Speaking on pugs in general, I've had the luck to have done seg farms with some IMO really skilled and talented players who I've met over the last few years and I understand how having a committed static or at least a group of mature, knowledgeable, and dedicated people will produce better, more consistent, and way less stressful results. I will honestly probably take the 1.5m gil payout alongside stacks of mats from accompanying a Sheol A static over anything else but I've had a few shout Sheol C farms that have outperformed anything else in terms of pure efficiency and damage output and I'm pretty sure that was mainly a party of RMT...sometimes you'll roll the dice and just get a group of good players with good gear who know what they're doing. That feeling is why I keep playing FFXI, for better or for worse, lol.
By SimonSes 2022-12-04 16:40:09
Link | Citer | R

Serjero said: »

Nah it's all about who uses JA0 + Autows and who has less packet loss due to lag. As well as who gets trolled less by autotarget. Most heavy DDs should be within 5% of each unless you had really favorable camps for one flavor of DD vs the other. This is assuming equivalent gear and Master Levels.

5% on parse or 5% of each other total damage? Because 5% on parse is actually very far away if you assume like 5 players on the parse and one is 25% and other is 20% (First one would do 25% more damage which is a lot).
 Asura.Volteczero
By Asura.Volteczero 2022-12-04 16:53:34
Link | Citer | R

I always find it weird when people brag that they do 9m-10m damage on a segfarm, because in my experience even on full clear runs I've never seen that kind of numbers or even come close to it.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-04 18:02:47
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Volteczero said: »
I always find it weird when people brag that they do 9m-10m damage on a segfarm, because in my experience even on full clear runs I've never seen that kind of numbers or even come close to it.

Because if you do 60K+ to a monster with 5% HP, scoreboard gives you credit for all 60K. People seriously like to pad parses inside there.
[+]
By Serjero 2022-12-04 18:30:04
Link | Citer | R

Gotta pad and stuff that epeen. How else will the Mithra notice you.
[+]
By Seun 2022-12-04 19:00:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

Because if you do 60K+ to a monster with 5% HP, scoreboard gives you credit for all 60K. People seriously like to pad parses inside there.

It's too bad that the parsing in FFXI is so bare. Warcraft logs gives you information about where the damage and healing is being applied. If a player gives you a buff that amplifies your damage, that part of your damage is attributed to the buff and not to you directly. People can clearly see what is effective and hat is cheese.

What do we do if we're trying to get the attention of girls?
By Draylo 2022-12-04 19:04:46
Link | Citer | R

Seun said: »
Draylo said: »
We need more gap closing content like Sortie was and there should be something harder to use all that gear for.

Ranking up the gear with RP is the 'gap closer'.

I agree that they don't need to adjust the difficulty, but that isn't the reason why Odyssey is unpopular. People don't like it because it's skewed toward static groups and requires heavy investment. Investment that isn't really paying off in any other content that isn't just more Odyssey. It doesn't need to be as restrictive as it is.

There always been content like that. The game was always more static/ LS based groups. Each era had that Endgame where either you used the gear to complete the hardest content faster or make easier content even more trivial, all while preparing for whatever comes next to monopolize it. I honestly don't see a problem with it at all currently. I just see people are more lazy these days and want hand outs.
By Seun 2022-12-04 19:56:37
Link | Citer | R

We need more gap closing content like Sortie was and there should be something harder to use all that gear for.

Ranking up the gear with RP is the 'gap closer'.

I agree that they don't need to adjust the difficulty, but that isn't the reason why Odyssey is unpopular. People don't like it because it's skewed toward static groups and requires heavy investment. Investment that isn't really paying off in any other content that isn't just more Odyssey. It doesn't need to be as restrictive as it is.

There always been content like that. The game was always more static/ LS based groups. Each era had that Endgame where either you used the gear to complete the hardest content faster or make easier content even more trivial, all while preparing for whatever comes next to monopolize it. I honestly don't see a problem with it at all currently. I just see people are more lazy these days and want hand outs.

If you're lazy, this content was created for you. What we really need is a parse from SE about how much RP has been earned from losing. I think that's probably a more accurate reflection of current endgame.

Again, I don't think it's the difficulty that makes this event unattractive. Having gear simply because it's 'BiS' isn't really motivation either considering we cleared everything else in the game before it.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-04 20:39:57
Link | Citer | R

It's too bad that the parsing in FFXI is so bare. Warcraft logs gives you information about where the damage and healing is being applied. If a player gives you a buff that amplifies your damage, that part of your damage is attributed to the buff and not to you directly. People can clearly see what is effective and hat is cheese.

What do we do if we're trying to get the attention of girls?

Oh there are way better parsing tools for FFXI, scoreboard is just bragging rights, it's right in the name. Flippants parse is much better, gets healing, magic and defense stats. The kparse is amazing but kinda annoying to setup and run, it'll record the entire fight and then can graph out the various stats over time.
 Asura.Nesspoot
By Asura.Nesspoot 2022-12-04 21:57:42
Link | Citer | R

Samurai doesn't get this benefit with its hybrids, for better or for worse. A Jinpu at 5% will end up being like 4k. ><
 Asura.Houndsoflove
user: Ephexis
By Asura.Houndsoflove 2022-12-04 22:53:51
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Iamaman said: »

I feel attacked.

I did this on accident once when I forgot I had the items in my inventory and had a brainfart. As soon as I saw the 3 fugly heads, I knew what I had done.

Part of me thinks that was a run I had you in, which then confused me given I'd only given you my pop items!
[+]
By Afania 2022-12-05 01:12:47
Link | Citer | R

but that's because they naturally aren't as quick

What I meant is that Even if you ignore the engage speed and skill difference whether a DD lose to cor or not still greatly depend on mob group luck and their own Nyame/ML progression though.

Say for example, if in a run DD1 average 59k, DD2 average 43k, COR average 48k (all the above WS average are based on real parse data that I had about 6-8 months ago, not sure if it's even higher now), and everyone has similar engage speed and WS frequency.

DD1 will outparse DD2 in this case but if you only compare 2 DD everyone will say "DD1 average 59k? Naegling DRG OP". But if you compare all 3 people then the reaction suddenly become "this guy lose to a COR!!!!! Lolol gimp.",

COR's WS average is actually above average in C farm IF you get the right mob. Leaden can hit 50k+, hot shot is like 65-85k depending. Qutrub is always 99999. All of these greatly pad the parse, and getting these mobs back to back means anyone that isn't close to BiS or hybrid WS job will have a hard time keeping up even if everyone's WS frequency is exactly the same.

So I don't think it's fair to judge a player entirely base on losing against one job. They should be judged against similarly geared DD and ideally on the same job IMO.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-05 01:13:43
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Nesspoot said: »
Samurai doesn't get this benefit with its hybrids, for better or for worse. A Jinpu at 5% will end up being like 4k. ><
Samurai doesn't get this benefit with Jinpu only. The other hybrids are all 1hit, jinpu is the only exception as far as I remember.

Also the first hit of Jinpu tipically deals more than 50% of the overall WS damage, so while the logic of your message is perfectly valid, the 4k damage example you provided is a bit off I think.

Concerning this whole topic of "support job dealing more damage than proper DD" I'm guilty as many other people to have made similar comments multiple times but Afania's initial post about what really influences the overall damage is quite on spot.
Furthermore, COR is quite the respectable DPS, especially in Sheol C.
Defining COR "just" a support job is quite limitating if you ask me.

BRD on the other hand... well, it's perfectly capable of dealing more than respectable damage and I've seen some BRDs produce really great numbers, but realistically you have a lot of activities that you need to perform and that will undoubtely lower your overall DPS.
The question is: more than the tasks COR has to perform?
Well, let's see what other people have to say. In my opinion yes, more than COR.
So if I see a BRD dealing more damage than a WAR or a SAM in a Sheol C run, then I know that either that BRD is unbelievably good, or that those WAR or SAM aren't really that good.
Usually both things at the same time xD
By Afania 2022-12-05 01:24:00
Link | Citer | R

Because super high total dmg dealt from one person is usually the result of someone dealing way less dmg than everyone else.

Asura.Sechs said: »
The question is: more than the tasks COR has to perform?

Well having to sleep does slow down BRD DPS, but even if you remove that, the biggest gap between cor and BRD dmg is just magical/hybrid WS tbh. If cor doesn't have hybrid WS then it would make sense to judge DD based on if they win parse or not. I meant it's generally very easy to beat a cor in gaol as DD for example.

But certain mobs in C greatly favors hybrid WS, so hybrid WS user just has the advantage that some other jobs don't have. So it's more about the content itself.
By Serjero 2022-12-05 01:26:05
Link | Citer | R

Also the first hit of Jinpu tipically deals more than 50% of the overall WS damage, so while the logic of your message is perfectly valid, the 4k damage example you provided is a bit off I think.

When Jinpu first hit kills only the physical damage from that hit is applied. It doesn't make it to the magic damage calculation. So ~4k should be correct. Not 100% sure if this is true for the one hit hybrids but it certainly is for Chi and Jinpu.
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2022-12-05 01:52:24
Link | Citer | R

As well as who gets trolled less by autotarget.
I honestly have no idea how that system manages to be so bad. When you get snapped to a mob all the way across the room or even behind you instead of any of the 5 valid targets right in front of you, it has to be by design.
 Asura.Nesspoot
By Asura.Nesspoot 2022-12-05 02:06:27
Link | Citer | R

Optimizing around the targeting system and having a great tank pulling as many camps as realistically possible are what makes a 10m run possible, IMO.

It's magic when you get into a party, as a DD, where the mobs are delivered to you in a perfect, easy-to-target circle—Samurai damage and TP generation is absolutely unreal and practically seamless from mob to often-one-shotted mob in that kind of situation.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-12-05 03:17:04
Link | Citer | R

Samurai doesn't get this benefit with Jinpu only. The other hybrids are all 1hit, jinpu is the only exception as far as I remember.

You are lacking knowledge how hybrid WSs work. It's NOT magic damage for each physical hit. Jinpu multihit is only in physical part, magic part is always one hit and can't proc any multi-attacks. Jinpu's magic damage part is no different than single hit hybrids and is what does most of the damage and on mob with 4k HP left it will probably do even less than one hit hybrids, because it's possible it will kill the mob with part of the physical damage and won't even connect all physical hits.

That being said it's hard to imagine Samurai hitting 4k hp mob with Jinpu in Odyssey, because on every group where Jinpu works, Samurai will most likely overkill with first Jinpu. Unless maybe if some BRD or COR will left it's target at 5-10% after Savage and SAM will autotarget to that.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-05 04:03:59
Link | Citer | R

A) need to kill everything in the zone
B) need to have the tank (or brd in a 3dd setup) actually pulling packs properly
C) the other people dealing damage in the group need to be relatively dogshit
D) padding by weaponskilling on things that would otherwise die to a couple of extra melee swings just to pad

Any combo of these could lead to a 10m parse. Ultimately even if you're killing every mob and nm on the map there's a limited amount of total monster hp being divided between at least 4 active participants. To get the lions share you either need most of the 4 to be bad or you need to be making more total hp by padding like a nerd.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-05 04:17:16
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »
You are lacking knowledge how hybrid WSs work.
"OMG Sechs you're so wrong"

Quote:
That being said it's hard to imagine Samurai hitting 4k hp mob with Jinpu in Odyssey
"OMG Sechs you're so right"

:-P

Personally even if by accident someone WSs on my target a nanosecond before my Jinpu goes off, I've never seen damage being <= 4k from Jinpu.
If the situation I just described happens (and alas it happened to me more often than I'd like it to) the final damage output is way smaller than what I'd get in these situations by using one of the other Hybrid WSs, but it's never been THAT low.

To get 4K damage on a low HP target you'd need it to be, I dunno, under 2% HP? Or SAM devoid of buffs? Or some other very specific situation that I wouldn't say it's the "average result when you use Jinpu on a target with low HP".
I can check my logs later but I doubt I've ever seen a Jinpu under 10k, I'd dare to say 15k actually.
By Seun 2022-12-05 04:37:26
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Essylt said: »
I honestly have no idea how that system manages to be so bad. When you get snapped to a mob all the way across the room or even behind you instead of any of the 5 valid targets right in front of you, it has to be by design.

I think it's meant to target the mobs further away so it doesn't accidentally wake things near you that might be slept. Possibly also because mobs that stay at range are generally more dangerous with nukes, sleepga, ect. Sucks to lose TP when it changes, but that could be anticipated most of the time.

Manual targeting is ideal unless you're prone to making mistakes or you're using zwait. I really only use auto-target for things like farming huge packs for magian trials or the like. Off should be the default.
 Bahamut.Skald
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jimmyjazz
By Bahamut.Skald 2022-12-05 05:07:41
Link | Citer | R

If you're auto targeting things behind you then you got some real bad lag. Position to your advantage. Auto target isn't perfect by any stretch but the only troll there is the meatheads who can't grasp the concept of directional facing that ruin swing timers for everyone.

By SimonSes 2022-12-05 05:36:00
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Skald said: »

If you're auto targeting things behind you then you got some real bad lag. Position to your advantage. Auto target isn't perfect by any stretch but the only troll there is the meatheads who can't grasp the concept of directional facing that ruin swing timers for everyone.

Its not that easy. Before mobs actually stop moving half of them are dead sometimes. Sometimes its big mobs with big hitboxes and its hard to rotate around them. Spread like on the picture is also very optimal and rarely happens in game. It's usually much more mobs on some side and sometime there is none on one side. Finally some jobs will kill much faster and will need to swap to monster further away anyway.

I agree though, that it's the best approach to try to rotate to face away only mobs close to you.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-12-05 05:42:07
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »
You are lacking knowledge how hybrid WSs work.
"OMG Sechs you're so wrong"

Quote:
That being said it's hard to imagine Samurai hitting 4k hp mob with Jinpu in Odyssey
"OMG Sechs you're so right"

:-P

I think you completely misunderstood what I wrote there in second quote. I wasnt talking about Jinpu damage, I was talking about mob's HP being 4k is very rare scenario for SAM, unless it's someone's else target. first Jinpu usually overkill by a lot and doesn't leave low HP targets.

What you have said about first hit being 50% of Jinpu damage is just not how hybrid works on low hp target. It's impossible for first physical hit to connect and other physical hits to not connect and magic damage hit, unless you simply miss all the hits beside first. It can't happen because mob is at low HP. If mob is at low HP you will only connect physical hits and kill it. Magic damage wont happen at all. 10k or even 15k Jinpu would be just physical hits (possibly multi attack proc).
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-12-05 07:28:19
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Houndsoflove said: »
Asura.Iamaman said: »

I feel attacked.

Part of me thinks that was a run I had you in, which then confused me given I'd only given you my pop items!

Possibly. I don't remember who was there, it was a while ago. I remember swearing profusely over Discord the moment I saw it spawn, though.

I had been farming Thu'ban earlier in the day and had some scales sitting in my inventory. I honestly don't remember why I threw those into the junction to pop it, I had a brain fart and thought it was Sarama for some reason I think. I have the standard pop rotation seared into my brain after that, though, and I remove any other similar items to avoid the same thing happening again. IIRC we killed it fine, but only half the party got to touch. Sosry.
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
Serveur: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2022-12-05 11:04:36
Link | Citer | R

So based on the base RP earned rates compared to the RP costs of augmenting gear, do we think R30 will be faster, slower, or the same compared to R25?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-05 11:22:15
Link | Citer | R

Linear, so same but slightly slower. Higher cost matched by higher RP 1:1

+300 +330 +360 +390 +420 Give or take
First Page 2 3 ... 187 188 189 ... 237 238 239