Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Okay.

We stop talking about it.
Nothing changes.

You walk away a full member of society.
We walk away with subhuman status.

Yeah, *** you.

Nevermind. My point is flying over your guys' heads and I'm being wrongfully attacked over it. No point in arguing semantics or stubbornness.
The funny thing is we're all rather progressive and open minded about all of this.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:10:54
Link | Citer | R

Except in most states it's perfectly legal to do so, and you'd have absolutely no legal recourse.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-08-05 18:12:10
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Sagittario said: »
You'll have to forgive us American gays for being less friendly and obedient.

Most of us can still lose our jobs if our employers decide they don't like that we're gay.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's interesting to observe the level of equality and the level of animosity towards gay rights in different countries. Over here in the UK an employer would not dare fire a gay employee over a minor offense or make them redundant because they could find themselves taken to court accused of discrimination, unless of course it was an out right breach of contract. A non gay employee however could not use their sexuality to make such a claim, it's this kind of thing that contributes largely to the animosity that gay people feel from society because gay members of society want to be treated as equal, yet these kind of cases allow them to be granted special treatment over others, in turn making it look like they are more deserved or entitled than others.
The logic here is completely ridiculous. I hope you see that.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-05 18:12:30
Link | Citer | R

Except in most states it's perfectly legal to do so, and you'd have absolutely no legal recourse.
It's explicitly stated in every application I've ever filled out (that's a *** of applications) that employment cannot be terminated due to discrimination. That's WHY there's the loophole of at-will employment.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-05 18:13:50
Link | Citer | R

There is no point arguing with Jinjo, he doesn't even know what he is arguing for anymore, claims he wants you to treat gay members of society to be equally then complains when you don't give them special recognition, repeats etc.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:13:51
Link | Citer | R

I like how I'm told to "calm down" ie. stop caring so much about something that is extremely important, and then expected to not be angry about it.

That makes perfect sense.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-08-05 18:14:25
Link | Citer | R

Sylow is right. States have a lot of power when it comes to right/will to work and discrimination laws.

Until there are federal laws protecting gays/lesbian, bis and trans in the workplace. We have two choices...

1) shut our mouths and deal with it.
2) relocat to a state that protects our rights. (which isn't many)
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:14:38
Link | Citer | R

Also, people need to rethink the "I don't care if people are gay, I don't even notice it, I see gays as exactly like everyone else."

Read: You need to be exactly like me for me to see you as a person.

It's okay to talk about He's black, and She's White, and Ze's Non-binary, and He's Gay, and She's fat, and He's disabled.

It's okay and necessary to talk about and understand how we're different. It's okay for us all to be different in the first place. The fact that it seems like people being different inconveniences you is absolutely appalling.

If you have to ignore and or trivialize the differences between you and someone else to accept them, you're a bigot. End of story.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:14:44
Link | Citer | R

There is no point arguing with Jinjo, he doesn't even know what he is arguing for anymore, claims he wants you to treat gay members of society to be equally then complains when you don't give them special recognition, repeats etc.

Being treated like a human being is special recognition, you heard it here first.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-05 18:14:58
Link | Citer | R

I am finding it difficult to continue support when the representatives of the gay community here appear to have decided that straight people will never understand and therefore will never actually support equal rights for the LGBT people.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-08-05 18:15:15
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
I like how I'm told to "calm down" ie. stop caring so much about something that is extremely important, and then expected to not be angry about it.

That makes perfect sense.

You're being asked to cool down your attitude.
You can still be passionate about your cause without attacking others; regardless of whether they were ignorant or otherwise.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2012-08-05 18:16:01
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said: »
Okay.

We stop talking about it.
Nothing changes.

You walk away a full member of society.
We walk away with subhuman status.

Yeah, *** you.

Nevermind. My point is flying over your guys' heads and I'm being wrongfully attacked over it. No point in arguing semantics or stubbornness.
The funny thing is we're all rather progressive and open minded about all of this.

yeah, I'd totally have Art on my counsel, even if he doesn't agree with me 24/7, /brofist?
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:16:19
Link | Citer | R

I don't care to. You have to understand that this involves discussion of me not being treated like a human being. I honestly don't care if I hurt your feelings or step on toes. Not one bit.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:17:59
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Laffter said: »
I am finding it difficult to continue support when the representatives of the gay community here appear to have decided that straight people will never understand and therefore will never actually support equal rights for the LGBT people.

Bolded part is true.
Strikeout is something no one has said because it's not true, but many have demonstrated to be the case for themselves individually.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-08-05 18:18:10
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
You'll have to forgive us American gays for being less friendly and obedient.

Most of us can still lose our jobs if our employers decide they don't like that we're gay.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's interesting to observe the level of equality and the level of animosity towards gay rights in different countries. Over here in the UK an employer would not dare fire a gay employee over a minor offense or make them redundant because they could find themselves taken to court accused of discrimination, unless of course it was an out right breach of contract. A non gay employee however could not use their sexuality to make such a claim, it's this kind of thing that contributes largely to the animosity that gay people feel from society because gay members of society want to be treated as equal, yet these kind of cases allow them to be granted special treatment over others, in turn making it look like they are more deserved or entitled than others.
The logic here is completely ridiculous. I hope you see that.

Anecdotal only, but I know several bosses that all have expressed this same problem time and time gain.

It's downright dangerous to fire a homosexual.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-08-05 18:18:28
Link | Citer | R

Being treated like a human being is special recognition, you heard it here first.
The only reason you'd be treated differently at this point is because of your attitude. You take everything as a personal attack and if people don't just accept every word that falls from your mouth then either you're being discriminated against or they're just socially inept backward bigots.

Sylow can play bingo all he wants, there is a lot of hostility coming from you and it's not even close to necessary.. No one is attacking you, at best people are just disagreeing with your position.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-08-05 18:18:38
Link | Citer | R

Bolded part is true.
Strikeout is something no one has said because it's not true, but many have demonstrated to be the case for themselves individually.

ITT humans can't understand each other unless they're carbon copies.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:19:20
Link | Citer | R

ITT you think you can understand oppression without experiencing it.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2012-08-05 18:20:01
Link | Citer | R

Aside from the shock value morons, who on this forum is treating you differently than a human being? I'm not seeing that. All I see are people who are trying to discuss the situation and doing so peacefully. If you get all hotheaded, the only person's argument that you're hurting is your own.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:20:09
Link | Citer | R

You can understand the details of the situation, but you'll never understand what it feels like to stand on this side.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-08-05 18:20:24
Link | Citer | R

Ok... I agree with you partially. Let me explain where some of the animosity comes from. (i'm prolly going to upset some people who cares).

THE LGBT community has been pigeonholed, kicked, shoved, spit on to the point that they have formed their own culture/s. Part of this culture includes "heterophobia." There are many in the LGBT community who refuse to associate with the hetero commonity not out of fear but, because after X amount of time. They have come to he actualization that only their LGBT peers accept them. So consequently they go out in defense mode when dealing with the hetero community because they feel that they just dont get it.

I'm not saying its right, I'm not condoning it, I'm not condemning it..I'm calling it as I see it.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-05 18:20:41
Link | Citer | R

Bolded part is true.
This will probably mean absolutely nothing to the argument here, but...

Even in all my ignorance, I am hoping the LGBT community does get its equal rights. I am not gay, will never be gay, and therefore will never truly understand many of the issues. None of my comments here were made to offend anyone.

I'm sure many others will echo these sentiments.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:21:13
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
But even better - by accusing them of hostility, you pass the blame back to them, rather than consider what you might have said that was so offensive and hurtful it caused the “hostility”!
By Artemicion 2012-08-05 18:21:31
Link | Citer | R

I don't care to. You have to understand that this involves discussion of me not being treated like a human being. I honestly don't care if I hurt your feelings or step on toes. Not one bit.

That's fair. You have every right to be angry, frustrated and and abrasive. However, in doing so to an unreasonable degree you can end up alienating those that are like minded and ultimately become counter intuitive/productive to your cause or purpose.

Which brought my to my whole "don't make a big deal of it" thing. Otherwise you make it more difficult for others (especially those ignorant of the circumstance and gravity of the situation) to adhere to your plight, and even empower those that feel differently to enact upon even something as menial as a bad attitude.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:21:51
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Aside from the shock value morons, who on this forum is treating you differently than a human being? I'm not seeing that. All I see are people who are trying to discuss the situation and doing so peacefully. If you get all hotheaded, the only person's argument that you're hurting is your own.

http://www.derailingfordummies.com/complete.html#hostile

http://www.derailingfordummies.com/complete.html#overemotional

I swear you can play Derailing for Dummies Bingo with these sorts of threads.

You have to understand that this involves discussion of me not being treated like a human being.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-08-05 18:23:06
Link | Citer | R

You can understand the details of the situation, but you'll never understand what it feels like to stand on this side.
Oppression and discrimination is oppression and discrimination.. One doesn't need to of felt the oppression and discrimination against gays to understand what oppression and discrimination feels like.
[+]
 Fenrir.Havster
user: Havster
By Fenrir.Havster 2012-08-05 18:23:29
Link | Citer | R

Also, people need to rethink the "I don't care if people are gay, I don't even notice it, I see gays as exactly like everyone else."

Read: You need to be exactly like me for me to see you as a person.

It's okay to talk about He's black, and She's White, and Ze's Non-binary, and He's Gay, and She's fat, and He's disabled.

It's okay and necessary to talk about and understand how we're different. It's okay for us all to be different in the first place. The fact that it seems like people being different inconveniences you is absolutely appalling.

If you have to ignore and or trivialize the differences between you and someone else to accept them, you're a bigot. End of story.

I quite like this, its an interesting view to add Sylow, how about if I say that I dont actually distinguish at all and my friend Wes, for example, I had no idea he was gay for about 6 months and I work with him daily and drink regularly.
Didnt care and didnt care to ask.
Was only when he said he was bringing his boyfriend that evening for drinks I found out. Still didnt care apart from they bought their drinks as a couple meaning I got screwed the ***!
Also have to understand that living in Brighton there are probably more gay than straight!! It is honestly completely the norm.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-08-05 18:24:17
Link | Citer | R

ITT you think you can understand oppression without experiencing it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

You, kiddo, are a precious little flower with your head so far up your *** you're gonna wither because you can't photosynthesize.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:25:38
Link | Citer | R

Well it's the same thing as when white people say, "I don't think about race at all; I'm colorblind."
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 11 12