Can The Links Be Put Back To FFXIclopedia?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Can the links be put back to FFXIclopedia?
Can the links be put back to FFXIclopedia?
First Page 2 3 4
 Lakshmi.Thala
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Thala 2011-05-02 15:57:21
Link | Citer | R

At least, for now? This suggestion comes in 2 parts based on this source.

http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27233

-Point The First: FFXIclopedia doesn't seem to be going anywhere. All the links won't suddenly die because wikia decides to delete the site tomorrow.
-Point The Second: GamerEscape is a bit of a mess at the moment. Special character pages (such as +1s) aren't functioning, and I know I personally can't stay logged in, leaving me with the crappy fixed width default layout.

In a few weeks when they've worked out some of the kinks, I won't mind the updated links at all, but until then, it has become quite the inconvenience.
[+]
 Sylph.Cohan
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Cohan 2011-05-02 16:10:49
Link | Citer | R

Just open a Ffxiclopedia page and never shut it down. Its what i have been doing. Though I am looking forward to that new site going up. And you are right it does have alot of bugs atm lol
[+]
 Ramuh.Zaknafein
Serveur: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Zaknafein 2011-05-02 16:12:24
Link | Citer | R

If it wasn't broke why fix it?
[+]
 Sylph.Decimus
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2011-05-02 16:24:10
Link | Citer | R

Who doesn't love 9 minute long videos playing in the background with every new page you go to?
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Astrida
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Astrida
By Gilgamesh.Astrida 2011-05-02 16:32:36
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Decimus said:
Who doesn't love 9 minute long videos playing in the background with every new page you go to?
make an account.
[+]
 Valefor.Byxfluzba
Serveur: Valefor
user: Byxfluzba
By Valefor.Byxfluzba 2011-05-02 16:41:36
Link | Citer | R

Or you could just stick with what this page had been linking to for years without issue.
[+]
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-02 16:43:53
Link | Citer | R

for the umpteenth time gamerescape isnt a new different entity from ffxiclopedia, its ffxiclopedia moving to a new site to get away from wikia
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-05-02 16:52:53
Link | Citer | R

to me it just seems silly to change this all of a sudden for no reason that i can see

or maybe just add a link to wiki as well as ge
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-05-02 17:11:01
Link | Citer | R

We were asked by the admins of the site and the new project participants at gamerscape to change the links.

They are leaving Wikia and migrating the site to a new domain. We feel it's the least we can do to help. Our relationship was always with the individuals who made the content, not the corporation that bought them.

If it becomes a long-term issue, we'll change it back.
[+]
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2011-05-02 17:27:31
Link | Citer | R

Least a formal announcement before all the link changes whOuld of been nice to inform us. People fear change without information lol
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-05-02 17:43:52
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Moonlightespada said:
Least a formal announcement before all the link changes whOuld of been nice to inform us. People fear change without information lol
Egos and being introverts prohibit this
 Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs 2011-05-02 19:53:57
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Irohuro said:
for the umpteenth time gamerescape isnt a new different entity from ffxiclopedia, its ffxiclopedia moving to a new site to get away from wikia
They used to be separate from wikia then moved to them, now we have this new site that's basically a backup.

I don't see ffxiclopedia vanishing anytime soon nor see this new site surpassing them. I remember BG trying to make a new wiki and people still ending up using ffxiclopedia.

Maybe the GS people could set something up so when pedia is updated the new info is applied to GS and vice versa.

Quetzalcoatl.Roark said:
to me it just seems silly to change this all of a sudden for no reason that i can see

or maybe just add a link to wiki as well as ge
Being that the [JP] still links to ffxiclopedia this would be a good idea.
Something like: [Wiki] [JP] [OldWiki]
FFXIAH could then track this to see if the community is ready for the switch or even likes it.
[+]
By Instant 2011-05-13 22:32:40
Link | Citer | R

Links should have been kept until the people that are building the new site get their act together there imo.
New site is just crap in more ways than one.

Why did they need to move away from wikia anyway?
I saw nothing wrong with the old website, except maybe the boxed-in style? (easily fixed by the firefox css fix posted on this forum in another thread)
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-05-15 12:27:33
Link | Citer | R

I added the old Wiki links as suggested.
[+]
 Cerberus.Savannah
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2011-05-15 12:29:16
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Scragg said:
I added the old Wiki links as suggested.

Yay! love ty <3
[+]
Serveur: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-05-15 12:33:43
Link | Citer | R

Should of named it old Wiki, I'm going to keep clicking that virus filled mess by accident now.
By Instant 2011-05-15 13:36:31
Link | Citer | R

Yay, Wikia link added again, nice! Bluegartr wiki seems nice too. :)
Thanks Scragg. =)
 Carbuncle.Astrida
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: AstridaG
By Carbuncle.Astrida 2011-05-15 15:07:18
Link | Citer | R

I LOVE what you guys did with the links, great job! <3
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-05-15 15:09:35
Link | Citer | R

i didn't like the layout change on wiki either, but half the stuff i try to look up on gamerscape isn't there =/.
 Lakshmi.Scrollios
Premium
user: Scroll
By Lakshmi.Scrollios 2011-05-15 15:32:34
Link | Citer | R

ty.
 Bismarck.Seiver
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Seiver
By Bismarck.Seiver 2011-05-15 21:05:51
Link | Citer | R

GE works just fine for me. i personly like GE better than the old wiki. and all the admin moved to GE so why stay there? and its kinda a smack in the face to the GE admin to change that all around and then not tell them.
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 03:56:45
Link | Citer | R

Adding back links to Wikia undermines the purpose of the move. What point is there in moving if it's not accepted? It puzzles me, because we would constantly get complaints about Wikia's new skin and how they didn't like this or that about wikia. So we move, with the goal of giving people what they want. Now, there have been some problems in the transition of course, but nothing that can't be worked out. People continue to edit the old wiki, then complain that we don't have stuff and he old site does. It's a catch-22. I and others working as hard as I can to make sure the new stuff is reflected, but even a few dedicated editors can only do so much at a time.

I'm just at a loss really, at how people complain about Wikia, then complain when we try to do something about it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

At least GamerEscape will never plaster the FFXI wiki with a full screen WoW expansion advertisement or intrusive flash ads about the latest popular movie to hit theaters like Wikia has done.

Quote:
Links should have been kept until the people that are building the new site get their act together there imo.
New site is just crap in more ways than one.
You say this but you don't give any of these "more ways than one" reasons. What exactly is "crap"? We are about the community. If you have some kind of suggestion as to how the site could be improved, we'd be happy to hear it. Our act has been together- Yes, there were some issues initially- but we've worked on them faithfully.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-05-16 04:03:14
Link | Citer | R

what was the full reason behind the move anyways?
By DuzellLevi 2011-05-16 04:13:04
Link | Citer | R

I think it was a good idea to link to all 4 wikis, it makes the site seem unbias, even if we all know it actually is.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-05-16 04:21:48
Link | Citer | R

DuzellLevi said:
I think it was a good idea to link to all 4 wikis, it makes the site seem unbias, even if we all know it actually is.

i actually agree with this. having them all gives them each more of a reason to perform better. some people will go with what their personal preference is, but most people will go where the quality is. even though the people at GE deserve support doesn't mean they deserve 100% of the traffic from this website. i'll use it as long as it stays up to date on current info and doesn't force a crappy design on me. however, i'm still going to use wiki if GE doesn't have the information i need. it doesn't mean i like ads. i have noscript for that. it's just a convenience issue.
[+]
 Shiva.Xellith
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2011-05-16 04:32:02
Link | Citer | R

I never knew anyone had any problems with wiki. It been working fine for me for years @.@ <3 adblock
[+]
 Bahamut.Branwen
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Branwen
By Bahamut.Branwen 2011-05-16 04:53:20
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the extra link.
By Leonien 2011-05-16 05:02:22
Link | Citer | R

In respect. GE doesnt have all of the past or present articles that are commonly accessed. There is quite alot of pages that are blank. So there was no point linking to a blank page while the information is available on old wiki. Yes the ads have became a big problem on wikia, but by now people should have installed AdBlock Plus.

And while we are talking about these things. While there are dedicated editors for the cause, on some articles it seems the wrong information is posted quite often. And friends i know have come along and fixed them. Either there are idiots doing this on purpose or they dont know wtf they know.

Also i like all the wiki links showing as i use all of them
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 10:48:52
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Heimdall said:
what was the full reason behind the move anyways?
You may be aware of Eorzeapedia, which we started before FFXIV's alpha announcement. Like FFXIclopedia originally was before it, Eorz was being independently run by Ganiman, Gahoo and others.

Much later, they were approached asking if they could create a community site for the upcoming Tactics styled MMO, Wakfu. Accepting this idea, the team thought the best thing to do was to bring all of their projects together under one roof. So that's what they did- They got the domain name before you know, moved Eorzeapedia and FFXIclopedia to it and started the Wakfu site alongside. The official reason doesn't have much to do with Wikia- Wikia was very helpful to them at first, even if the site did change a lot later. All the complaints from users about wikia though, made the change that much easier. We still tried to exit in a civil manner though, and for that, we were allowed to place the move notices on the wiki. Many other wikis that moved from Wikia tried to sabotoge them on exiting, and all that got them was banned from Wikia and the changes undone and a new admin appointed

Quote:
Yes the ads have became a big problem on wikia, but by now people should have installed AdBlock Plus.
I should point out that Wikia did quite a few things that got around AdBlock- Before World of Warcraft: Cataclysm came out, they changed our (and several other game wiki's) site's background to be a gigantic ad for Cataclysm- AdBlock didn't work for this. I'm pretty sure no one liked that.
[+]
 Phoenix.Vael
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2011-05-16 11:14:39
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Adding back links to Wikia undermines the purpose of the move. What point is there in moving if it's not accepted? It puzzles me, because we would constantly get complaints about Wikia's new skin and how they didn't like this or that about wikia. So we move, with the goal of giving people what they want. Now, there have been some problems in the transition of course, but nothing that can't be worked out. People continue to edit the old wiki, then complain that we don't have stuff and he old site does. It's a catch-22. I and others working as hard as I can to make sure the new stuff is reflected, but even a few dedicated editors can only do so much at a time. I'm just at a loss really, at how people complain about Wikia, then complain when we try to do something about it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. At least GamerEscape will never plaster the FFXI wiki with a full screen WoW expansion advertisement or intrusive flash ads about the latest popular movie to hit theaters like Wikia has done.
Quote:
Links should have been kept until the people that are building the new site get their act together there imo. New site is just crap in more ways than one.
You say this but you don't give any of these "more ways than one" reasons. What exactly is "crap"? We are about the community. If you have some kind of suggestion as to how the site could be improved, we'd be happy to hear it. Our act has been together- Yes, there were some issues initially- but we've worked on them faithfully.

QFT. Except the opposite meaning.

After my most recent quit when I started playing and using Wiki again I did hate their most recent changes, before that the Wiki was the best. I think some support should be granted by the players in trying to update info, but a lot needs to change. You can't just assume support will be given.

XIAH doing it right by adding several Wiki links.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4