Can The Links Be Put Back To FFXIclopedia?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Can the links be put back to FFXIclopedia?
Can the links be put back to FFXIclopedia?
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 11:20:16
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
XIAH doing it right by adding several Wiki links.
No, they're not. It completely undermines the new site. If we were able to just remove it (which wikia prohibits) and there was no other option, the link wouldn't be there- The staff has moved, the old wiki should be treated as though it doesn't exist.

Personally, I don't oppose links to other, distinct resources. But Wikia FFXIclopedia isn't a distinct resource- It's the resource we created, and are trying to replace.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Krionin
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Krionin1
By Carbuncle.Krionin 2011-05-16 11:26:56
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Quote:
XIAH doing it right by adding several Wiki links.
No, they're not. It completely undermines the new site. If we were able to just remove it (which wikia prohibits) and there was no other option, the link wouldn't be there- The staff has moved, the old wiki should be treated as though it doesn't exist.

Personally, I don't oppose links to other, distinct resources. But Wikia FFXIclopedia isn't a distinct resource- It's the resource we created, and are trying to replace.

Just because the staff left doesn't mean the players who provide the info have. The old wiki is still getting updates from its playerbase.
[+]
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 11:30:21
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Krionin said:

Just because the staff left doesn't mean the players who provide the info have. The old wiki is still getting updates from its playerbase.
As is the new site- which leads to different info in different places, which leads to a big mess. None of us expected 100% conversion. But we did expect people to realize that we're trying to move the site. The ONLY reason the Wikia wiki still exists is because Wikia will not remove it. It does not help the move if people are given links to the old location- it makes it that much easier for information to get split up.
[+]
 Phoenix.Vael
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2011-05-16 11:47:12
Link | Citer | R

Undermining requires that a subordinate or superior associate undoes the work of their partner.

Hey, XIAH isn't related to Wiki. Fancy that.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-16 11:52:21
Link | Citer | R

How about you make it a place people will actually want to visit, then there wouldn't be a need for two links.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-16 11:52:50
Link | Citer | R

I don't really care, both resources are as good as each other.

People who are scared of the change are just the people that complain about everything all the time when it's new or different.

GE loads slightly slower for me which irritates me at times, but at least it doesn't ask for a login when it links to AH.
[+]
 Phoenix.Vael
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2011-05-16 12:04:04
Link | Citer | R

It isn't damned if you do, damned if you don't, either. How many complaints could you admins have possibly received? Did it approach anywhere near 1/2 or even 1/4 your hits? To even have the ability to complain one must create an account and log in, something that the majority of the player base probably doesn't do. These are the people that won't know what the hell is going on when a change happens. There are people that don't even know who runs the Wiki or what affiliation they have with Wikia. You're overestimating what purpose you serve to the community as (a) staff member(s) of a site. Why should the community of XIAH, a site run independantly from the Wiki, be forced into using only one of many community sites?

Yes, splitting information is illogical. That doesn't mean that all community effort should be forcefully directed to one site, specifically the new one. So if we're against a split - 100% of information to the old Wiki. Works the same huh?
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-16 12:05:52
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Vael said:
It isn't damned if you do, damned if you don't, either. How many complaints could you admins have possibly received? Did it approach anywhere near 1/2 or even 1/4 your hits? To even have the ability to complain one must create an account and log in, something that the majority of the player base probably doesn't have/do. These are the people that won't know what the hell is going on when a change happens. There are people that don't even know who runs the Wiki or what affiliation they have with Wikia. You're overestimating what purpose you serve to the community as (a) staff member(s) of a site. Why should the community choose for XIAH, a site run independantly from the Wiki, choose a side and force its users into using one of many other community sites?

Yes, splitting information is illogical. That doesn't mean that all community effort should be forcefully directed to one site, specifically the new one. So if we're against a split - 100% of information to the old Wiki. Works the same huh?

Also agree with this.

I like GE, but people have the right to choose their own resource.
By richwood 2011-05-16 12:11:27
Link | Citer | R

Just turn off your flash player, or simply block the adds.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2011-05-16 12:21:46
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Carbuncle.Krionin said:

As is the new site- which leads to different info in different places, which leads to a big mess. None of us expected 100% conversion. But we did expect people to realize that we're trying to move the site. The ONLY reason the Wikia wiki still exists is because Wikia will not remove it. It does not help the move if people are given links to the old location- it makes it that much easier for information to get split up.
For the record, I'm not really speaking on behalf of the entire FFXIAH staff; this is just my perspective:

Scragg and Jaerik conceded the move to GamerEscape, and replaced the link to help it along. However, they aren't going to ignore several requests from FFXIAH users to "change it back," so they opted for both links instead of one or the other. Even though I can't speak for them, I can assure you that by no means are they trying to "undermine" the new site: the intention of placing both links (plus the BG wiki link) on the item pages was for the sake of convenience on behalf of the playerbase--nothing more, nothing less.
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2011-05-16 12:27:25
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Scragg said:
I added the old Wiki links as suggested.

Thank you!
 Shiva.Kewitt
user: ginger
By Shiva.Kewitt 2011-05-16 12:36:04
Link | Citer | R

untill the GE fixes the downfalls of wikia there is no reason for the users base to change.

Problems with GE.

Fixed width.
I use IE, I don't plan on switching for one website.
I don't get infected with viruses I can't remove myself within seconds of getting a infections. I don't want to use add blocker block scripts because sometimes I click on ads for something that interests me to support the page I'm usings.
This is for both the wiki and the main page. I would say most users with new computer displays have 1080p. Not saying the site doesn't look ok here at work on a 1280 by 1024. But when I get home there is so much wasted space I feel like I'm not getting all the info I could. It leaves me with 45% of my screen looks empty.
http://www.webdesignforidiots.net/2009/03/fixed-width-centered-website/
Tahngarthor will say most people don't use brouses full screen. Well I do I got 2 screens. 1st in mainly for what I'm doing it it. 2nd is only websites.

Forums
If the site is focused on FFXI FFXIV and Wakfu.. Why have this big Platform Discussion before the main focus of the site.

Users pages. When I'm got the wiki I click on my name in the stop corner then I have to click again to get to my user page. Which I use to track things.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/User:Kewitt
http://ffxi.gamerescape.com/wiki/User:Kewitt Then I have to click another link. Extra step seems kind of stupid.

GE I'm always having to log back into it. Infact I'm on the forums and I click on the top like to wiki it logs me out and I relog in it takes me back to the forums. I currently have no way to log into the wiki.

I also agree that the new GE site is a little slower then wikia.

Now to believe the users will follow the owner of the site well a very much still working site is up. It's just not going to happen.
I really want GE to work, but it will not happen unless they make changes that the people using wikia complain about and give them a reason to move over to the new site. Untill GE has something that Wikia doesn't have, a inch to fill people will not move. To belive otherwize is a dream. Yes you will get the hard core fans of what you have done to follow you but the masses will not.

As far as FFXIAH goes. It's up to them to support there community before supporting yours.
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 12:37:00
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Carbuncle.Krionin said:

For the record, I'm not really speaking on behalf of the entire FFXIAH staff; this is just my perspective:

Scragg and Jaerik conceded the move to GamerEscape, and replaced the link to help it along. However, they aren't going to ignore several requests from FFXIAH users to "change it back," so they opted for both links instead of one or the other. Even though I can't speak for them, I can assure you that by no means are they trying to "undermine" the new site: the intention of placing both links (plus the BG wiki link) on the item pages was for the sake of convenience on behalf of the playerbase--nothing more, nothing less.

Well, I appreciate your thoughts on this. I suppose it's a problem that can't be helped too much. As you can tell, I'm not much of a PR guy. The one good thing that comes from this is it's helpful for me to see what people want to see from their resources and make sure we're not skipping over the material most important to people.

Quote:
Fixed width.
Wikia is fixed width. If you're using MonoBook to view the wiki (Which is also avialable on GE), you won't be able to much longer- Wikia will be removing it permanently.

Quote:
I don't get infected with viruses I can't remove myself within seconds of getting a infections.
We don't have viruses. What are you trying to say here?

Quote:
If the site is focused on FFXI FFXIV and Wakfu.. Why have this big Platform Discussion before the main focus of the site.
It's not the main focus of the site- each main game being covered has its own forum. The game-neutral area of the site is meant to be the place for people to talk about things that aren't specific to the games we specifically cover.

Quote:
Then I have to click another link. Extra step seems kind of stupid.
I don't understand what you're saying here. What extra link/step? If you're seeing the profile instead of your user page, just click "Use Wiki userpage" in the top right corner. You'll never have to click it again.

Quote:
GE I'm always having to log back into it. Infact I'm on the forums and I click on the top like to wiki it logs me out and I relog in it takes me back to the forums. I currently have no way to log into the wiki.
We're sitll working on the login. I can understand your frustraiton here, but we're working on it.
 Cerberus.Kaht
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-05-16 13:37:42
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Adding back links to Wikia undermines the purpose of the move. What point is there in moving if it's not accepted? It puzzles me, because we would constantly get complaints about Wikia's new skin and how they didn't like this or that about wikia. So we move, with the goal of giving people what they want. Now, there have been some problems in the transition of course, but nothing that can't be worked out. People continue to edit the old wiki, then complain that we don't have stuff and he old site does. It's a catch-22. I and others working as hard as I can to make sure the new stuff is reflected, but even a few dedicated editors can only do so much at a time.

http://ffxi.gamerescape.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75#p345
Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Most people do not use a maximized browser window at a huge resolution. Fixed Width is used because it makes sense from a design perspective. Everyone sees the same thing, it's consistent, and you don't have people editing different pages for different widths. There are many non-fixed skins avialable on the wiki and you're free to use a custom style to make the site look however you want. There may eventually be different looks available, but that's at the bottom of the list.

How can you rally behind people's complaints about wikia's fixed width skin as an incentive to leave, yet be a strong advocate of why a fixed width skin for GE is a good thing?

When you mention complaints about the old wiki (bolded above), the new skin is the first thing you mention. Yet, you downplay the fixed-width complaints for GE citing that people with widescreen monitors are in the minority, and that there is no evidence of fixed-width complaints being a deterrent to ffxiclopedia users.

Sorry, but you can't be on both sides of the fixed-width fence...
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
Serveur: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-05-16 13:57:33
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Scragg said:
I added the old Wiki links as suggested.

Hurray!

/insertslowpoke.jpeg
 Siren.Hastur
Serveur: Siren
user: Hastur
By Siren.Hastur 2011-05-16 14:14:44
Link | Citer | R

The GE site sucks. It's not as easy to navigate, seems to be missing a lot of older information, it looks like crap and it's not even horribly clear that it was moved to there.

Yeah, there is a link on the site. Did I click it? Nope. It's announcing another site. The link doesn't say that you have moved. Expecting everyone to love it and move to it when it isn't even good, even compared to something that got many complaints is not cool. I wouldn't use it as it is even if it was the only one available.

How is it being undermined when they are providing links to what their users want? Once GE gets up to par and the other starts to degenerate, sure. It currently isn't.
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 14:15:36
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
How can you rally behind people's complaints about wikia's fixed width skin as an incentive to leave, yet be a strong advocate of why a fixed width skin for GE is a good thing?
Fixed width is not the only reason people didn't like Oasis. And although I like the option of a liquid width, the site developers have other priorities, like making everything work the way it is supposed to.

Trtuh be told, I'm telling you what I've been told in this case. While I have my opinions, the statistics don't lie. On a personal level, I feel that people should be able to make it look how they want. It's currently possible on the wiki, but not the rest of the site. We did provide a manual solution for people who want non-fixed width. Wikia does not give you choices like we do. In fact, Wikia will be removing the liquid-width MonoBook skin in the near future. Down the road there could be alternate skins for the full site, but that won't happen for quite a while if it does.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-16 14:17:05
Link | Citer | R

I think you should step away from the computer :)
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-16 14:19:47
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Well don't use GE then, you nerds can't handle change anyway.

I'm out

There's no need for that :(
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-16 14:20:34
Link | Citer | R

lol
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-16 14:20:46
Link | Citer | R

Flion you are too funny.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-16 14:21:18
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Flion you are too funny.

Thank you Draylo, you are very funny too.
[+]
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 14:21:32
Link | Citer | R

That's why Shiva loves having him. :p
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-16 14:22:08
Link | Citer | R

The only problem I had with wiki was the horrible skins they changed/forced people to use. Wiki staff moving and refusing to change something so many people complained about is funny. Are you guys planning to do a donation drive for the new site? ^^
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-16 14:23:33
Link | Citer | R

I'm bored D:

But I do use GE and I do prefer it.
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 14:24:16
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
The GE site sucks. It's not as easy to navigate, seems to be missing a lot of older information, it looks like crap and it's not even horribly clear that it was moved to there.
Explain how it's not as easy to navigate? We have links to almost every key section on the sidebar. The Wikia menus at the top only allow linking to a handful of pages. It is not missing any "older information." What information it IS missing is stuff that was created in the weeks between when we exported the database and when we launched the site (Which is quite a bit more than was expected, but we're patching the holes)

Quote:
Are you guys planning to do a donation drive for the new site? ^^
No, and at this time we're not even taking donations. I know where you're going with that. :p
[+]
Serveur: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-05-16 14:24:40
Link | Citer | R

If you own the ffxiclopedia site can you not just redirect ffxiclopedia.org to the new one since wikia wont allow it closed, or does wikia own the domain?
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 14:26:25
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Darkestknight said:
If you own the ffxiclopedia site can you not just redirect ffxiclopedia.org to the new one since wikia wont allow it closed, or does wikia own the domain?
Wikia owns it, through the agreement made in the move to Wikia. Otherwise I doubt the founders would have changed the name.
In addition, the policy doesn't just apply to us. They never allow a wiki to be deleted except in the cases of a wiki being created but having no content or a wiki created about something illegal.

... I need to post less and wikiedit more. >.>
Serveur: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-05-16 14:29:46
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tahngarthor said:
Titan.Darkestknight said:
Wikia owns it, through the agreement made in the move to Wikia. Otherwise I doubt the founders would have changed the name.
In addition, the policy doesn't just apply to us. They never allow a wiki to be deleted except in the cases of a wiki being created but having no content or a wiki created about something illegal.

... I need to post less and wikiedit more. >.>

Oh, dear! They demand too much control.
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-16 14:30:57
Link | Citer | R

That's why I strongly advise against using them for wiki hosting. Once you create your wiki, you can't pull it later if something better comes along. They are the only wiki farm with a policy like this.
[+]