Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online

You must be logged in to do that.

Suicide
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By Serj 2011-02-17 02:00:03
Link | Citer | R

I just sat down and fully read every post in this thread. Very.. interesting to hear people's thoughts and opinions on all of this. Not sure if I should contribute my own person thoughts and accounts right now.. I'll decide sometime soon.
[+]
 Bismarck.Luces
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-02-17 02:19:02
Link | Citer | R

We do as we are trained, required and advised to. In situations where its a gun shot victim and no family members are in the bus normally we will tell them we are doing or best and they should make it to the hospital without a problem. If the family is in the bus we will talk about it usually. Difference is most scenes you walk into the person is dead or their is something you can do, it is very rare to get people who think they are barely in trouble and are actually dieing with nothing that can be done. Organ failure is extremely painful and the girl was relatively young. The body at this point is telling her, shes dieing. You won't really know until your in that situation what to do and what you want. Given the fact there was no suicide letter or goodbye to people as this was just a suppose to be a fake suicide.

Every situation is different and has to be handled differently. Unless you tell "me don't tell me if I'm dieing" then most people are going to tell you, most people will still tell you anyway. As I said I consider it rude and disrespectful not to. It shows a disregard for the human life. You however Flion want to die without saying goodbye to anyone, which is against the norm.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 02:24:23
Link | Citer | R

Damn right I do. I'm not selfish enough to leave a lingering memory of me wheezing in pain saying goodbye with my family. The only time I'd consider it is if my last parting was bad and we argued or something.

Other than that I'd prefer to be blissfully unaware and leave my family without horrid memories.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-02-17 02:30:16
Link | Citer | R

I have a degenerative and debilitating illness. I have been told by my doctors that I will not live more than another 6 or so years.
When my illness becomes endstage and my pain is unbearable I have every intention of ending my own suffering, and making sure my family don't have to watch me suffer.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 02:39:38
Link | Citer | R

That's pretty intense :(
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 02:40:36
Link | Citer | R

I'd find it really hard facing my own mortality... you're a really brave person.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-17 02:45:34
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
I have a degenerative and debilitating illness. I have been told by my doctors that I will not live more than another 6 or so years.
When my illness becomes endstage and my pain is unbearable I have every intention of ending my own suffering, and making sure my family don't have to watch me suffer.

Shiva.Flionheart said:
That's pretty intense :(
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I'd find it really hard facing my own mortality... you're a really brave person.

:/ <3
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-02-17 02:46:28
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Well I disagree. And if I'm ever dying on the back of an ambulance and I have no hope of living, don't tell me, I'd rather dying with a semblance of hope rather than utter despair.

Agreed completely. What's the point of telling me and making my last few moments on earth utterly miserable?

Luces, I completely understand that's what you're trained to do, but when you say things like, "Giving them time to get squared away", and "Letting them say their goodbyes", for me, that's completely irrelevant. Once I'm dead, I'm not going to have a clue that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye, or square things away, because I'll be dead. As Flion said, I'd honestly rather spend my last moments on earth with HOPE, than DESPAIR.

However, I respect that being truthful is how you are taught to do things, so that's cool. It's a matter of personal taste, it appears.

[+]
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-02-17 02:47:06
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Not brave, just realistic.

We would consider it merciful to put a suffering pet out of it's pain by euthanasia but we insist it is wrong to do so for humans. We would rather make them endure pain and indignity till the end, I find that very sad
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 02:50:43
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

We would consider it merciful to put a suffering pet out of it's pain by euthanasia but we insist it is wrong to do so for humans. We would rather make them endure pain and indignity till the end, I find that very sad

I agree completely. In certain situations I think that humans should have the right to end or have their life ended.

I think there would have to be a VERY specific criteria to be fulfilled first, but after that it's completely the choice of the person suffering or the family if the person is unable to respond.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-17 02:50:50
Link | Citer | R

We all die sometime... at least for now. I really don't see why people are so scared of it. Then again I've comtemplated suicide for a long long time now and the only thing that has stopped me in the past is not wanting to make others deal with it. Partly cause I remember reading an article that followed a string of suicides. Like one person did which kinda helped push a friend over the edge which made a classmate think well *** I might as well too. Finally stopped I think with one guy just failing to die after jumping off a bridge.

But really unless you believe you are going to hell or something whats there to be scared of? And yeah if I wasn't so stubborn and masochistic I'd probably end it myself if I was in along suffering death. Stuff like that is always really hard on the loved ones.

I got to watch my aunt slowly wither away from cancer over a few years. She ended up being like 40 something lbs, half her bones weren't connected anymore and were mostly eaten away. Since her ribs didn't connect her chest was kinda collapsed and she ended up choking on her own spit a few times until they decided to stop sucking it out. It's crap and no one wants that or to make people watch that.

But all this is moot. It's my purpose in live to suffer eternally so I'm living forever baby
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-02-17 02:51:47
Link | Citer | R

I definitely agree with Flion here. If, IF it's possible for the person to make a few phonecalls before they go or arrange for someone to be with them in their last moments then it'd be a different story. But if the ambo's have been called to the scene for this sort of thing, what are the odds that that's likely to happen? I dunno, I'm no doctor (or ambo), but I'd imagine the odds to be pretty slim.

@Themuffingirl: I agree with you too, not everyone that commits suicide is in a great environment with loving friends and family. However, as heartless as it sounds, these people don't leave loved ones behind to get angry at them. I'm sure a lot of people THINK they won't leave anyone behind that cares even if they actually will though.

You also have to remember that depression (not just being upset, but actual depression) is a mental illness, and as such, you can't apply the same logic to the actions of those suffering from depression that most people normally uphold. I may not have any experience with suicide, but I do have experience with mental illness. The one thing I know above all else about it, is that logic and reasoning no longer apply. Hence my earlier post, people don't understand why someone would attempt suicide, because if it's triggered by depression then it's basically just beyond understanding, end of story.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Serveur: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2011-02-17 02:53:48
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Well I disagree. And if I'm ever dying on the back of an ambulance and I have no hope of living, don't tell me, I'd rather dying with a semblance of hope rather than utter despair.
You're going to die someday.

/liferuined
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-17 02:54:38
Link | Citer | R

If you are that scared of dieing don't attempt suicide... if you are man (er woman) enough to put your life in jeopardy then I'm gunna assume you can take it and should know when you actually suceeded even if you didn't really want to
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 02:57:56
Link | Citer | R

So it's simply 'I told you so' then.

Ok.
 Ragnarok.Slade
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Slade 2011-02-17 02:58:33
Link | Citer | R

a friend's friend committed suicide by sitting in the forest in freezing temperature and set off illegal fireworks in his mouth. reports say he didn't die from the blast of the fireworks but he died from bleeding to death :S although I first thought it was murder but they found some stuff like goodbye letters from him that he send to people.

my friend says he was perfectly normal from the outside, just like any of us. but in the inside he was totally messed up apparently. there is no way to know unless the person willing to commit suicide sends off obvious signals to other people, but then again people that do that are most likely just attention whoring.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-02-17 03:00:53
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Slade said:
a friend's friend committed suicide by sitting in the forest in freezing temperature and set off illegal fireworks in his mouth. reports say he didn't die from the blast of the fireworks but he died from bleeding to death :S although I first thought it was murder but they found some stuff like goodbye letters from him that he send to people. my friend says he was perfectly normal from the outside, just like any of us. but in the inside he was totally messed up apparently. there is no way to know unless the person willing to commit suicide sends off obvious signals to other people, but then again people that do that are most likely just attention whoring.

That is the weirdest suicide i've ever heard of. I wonder why he chose that way instead of something easier such as tablets or hanging.
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-02-17 03:01:47
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Shayala, that's terrible, I'm really sorry to hear that :( I agree with you about the Euthanasia part though, I think when you get to the point where there's no chance of living a normal life anymore and your condition is only going to get worse, you should have the option.

I'm sorry if this is offensive or anything, but I'm wondering, has your life changed since you found out? Do you have a bucket list that you're working your way through or something?
 Bismarck.Themuffingirl
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Themuffingirl 2011-02-17 03:11:57
Link | Citer | R

I definitely understand depression and that people who suffer from it do not see things as realistically as those who do not suffer from it. Since they are living this pain and sadness day by day it is very realistic for them. While your average person can shrug off having plans canceled by a friend, someone suffering from depression may take it to heart and say "I guess I'm just not good enough to hang out with them, they must really think I suck." Emotions can get blown out of proportion. Self worth dwindles and eventually the bad feels as if it outweighs the good in one's own eyes. It does lead to a feeling of hopelessness and that "nothing ever gets better". Whenever you start to feel things are looking up, one little mishap can destroy it all and you feel like you're back at rock bottom. Lack of energy, lack of motivation, lack of interest in anything you used to find enjoyable, feeling like nothing you have done thus far has been good enough so why bother trying anymore. Yes, this is all just a mindset and we have the power to change it and do something differently with our lives, but a deeply depressed person does not have the motivation to try because they don't expect any good to come from it. Perhaps this only describes a handful of depression sufferers, but these are all things I understand on a personal level and I'm sure there are a few who can relate to at least some of this.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-02-17 03:12:06
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Blazza said:
Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Not brave, just realistic. We would consider it merciful to put a suffering pet out of it's pain by euthanasia but we insist it is wrong to do so for humans. We would rather make them endure pain and indignity till the end, I find that very sad
Shayala, that's terrible, I'm really sorry to hear that :( I agree with you about the Euthanasia part though, I think when you get to the point where there's no chance of living a normal life anymore and your condition is only going to get worse, you should have the option. I'm sorry if this is offensive or anything, but I'm wondering, has your life changed since you found out? Do you have a bucket list that you're working your way through or something?

The only way my life has changed really is that I had to give up work. Maybe if I had this diagnosis when I was younger it would have been harder on me.
Strangely I accepted my diagnosis with complete calm and acceptance, I have no idea why though. My family took it far worse than I did.
I have two grown up daughters (21 and 23) and a 13 year old son.
My daughters decided to bring forward starting their own families and at the grand age of 39 I became a grandma, that was 3 years ago and I now have 3 grandsons and 1 grandaughter :)
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-17 03:16:17
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
That is the weirdest suicide i've ever heard of. I wonder why he chose that way instead of something easier such as tablets or hanging.
This... though I wouldn't really recommend hanging. If you don't drop from a decent height you wont break your neck and just end up choking to death. Very very unpleasant.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-17 03:19:44
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
The only way my life has changed really is that I had to give up work. Maybe if I had this diagnosis when I was younger it would have been harder on me.
Strangely I accepted my diagnosis with complete calm and acceptance, I have no idea why though. My family took it far worse than I did.
My daughters decided to bring forward starting their own families and at the grand age of 39 I became a grandma, that was 3 years ago and I now have 3 grandsons and 1 grandaughter :)

I can definitely see why your family took it harder. I'd be devastated if I found out my mom(or dad) was going to die. I'm 21 so I'm 'grown-up'(sure doesn't feel that way sometimes, minus the fact I'm not financially independent blah blah).

My mom had surgery to have her gall-bladder removed, and my dad was flipping shits because his sister died having that same surgery so he was making me freak out and I was crying all paranoid my mom was going to die. I really don't even know what I'd do with myself if either of my parents died @___@; I'm not sure where I'm going with this (probably should have thought it out before typing ahaha), but it seems at least your daughters are far more mature than myself. I'm glad that you at least get to see most of your grandchildren though, that must be nice~ :3
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 03:22:16
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Gilgamesh.Shayala said:

I can definitely see why your family took it harder. I'd be devastated if I found out my mom(or dad) was going to die. I'm 21 so I'm 'grown-up'(sure doesn't feel that way sometimes, minus the fact I'm not financially independent blah blah).

My mom had surgery to have her gall-bladder removed, and my dad was flipping shits because his sister died having that same surgery so he was making me freak out and I was crying all paranoid my mom was going to die. I really don't even know what I'd do with myself if either of my parents died @___@; I'm not sure where I'm going with this (probably should have thought it out before typing ahaha), but it seems at least your daughters are far more mature than myself. I'm glad that you at least get to see most of your grandchildren though, that must be nice~ :3

Are you me? Pretty much exact thing happened with me, but with a different surgery. My parents are split up though but I was so worried.

I couldn't handle anything happening to my family right now, I was really really sad when my sister lost her first baby, and I'm constantly paranoid now that she's pregnant again :/
By Artemicion 2011-02-17 03:53:36
Link | Citer | R

I don't really condemn (nor condone) suicide.
The way I see it, it's an extremely psychological and personal decision which goes beyond anyone outside the person acting upon it to even remotely fathom. Sometimes the choice is well thought out and options are weighed and considered before carrying it out or deciding against it, and other times it comes down to a brash, inconsolable act of desperation that there is no hope of recovering from.

Ultimately it comes down to the individual and their mind's capacity of dealing with various circumstances and whatever ailments or oppressions that brought about such an option to begin with. Also in some rarer cases, it could very well be something disease or disorder related that neither party could help or control.

I understand why people would consider it cowardly or selfish, but due to completely two different standpoints and functioning mental capacities, it comes down to (as others said) the lack of understanding that brings the disapproval and anger.

I've had my 5 year period of teenage angst and some degree of clinical depression along with various suicidal thoughts. Luckily that was as far as it went, but nevertheless it was strangely personal obligation and duty so to speak that brought me out of it, rather than truly finding "worth" or "value" in my life.

Reflecting upon that even to this day brings me down, but in the end, I suppose all we can do is do what we can, and if death is honestly the only logical escapism (for that person), then I can't really put myself in the position to say no or speak for them.
[+]
By pedion 2011-02-17 05:49:43
Link | Citer | R

After talking with a couple paramedic friends of mine they stated they would be fired if they had such bedside manner and told the person they are going to die. Maybe it depends on the state, but they said you have to give the person hope, because sometimes that is all a person has and that alone can help. Maybe not save their life but keep them relaxed in their final moments.

The one thing those who do not ever have suicidal thoughts or do not suffer from any type of mental illness will never truly understand what is going on in someone's mind who is going through depression, bipolar and many other issues. Just like they could never understand how people can be so happy or be so strong and survive tragedies or even little things.

As a person who is bipolar; I can say if not for my family and friends, I would have died along time ago. But I got lucky and have people who care for me. I wish everyone had the support I had and was given hope. But not everyone does and some of them just can not fathom it.
 Sylph.Vestal
Serveur: Sylph
user: miperich
By Sylph.Vestal 2011-02-17 06:27:25
Link | Citer | R

I commit suicide alot now adays with xp so easy to get. Sometimes i 2 hour and make a big fuss, sometimes i just slowly drown in a sea of ***! Sometimes, after i commit suicide i accidently rr out of habit...... Then commit suicide again!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-02-17 06:28:36
Link | Citer | R

Dear OP,

Tell your friend's carcass, at his funeral, that he is a dumbass. No girl is worth dying over.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-17 06:50:56
Link | Citer | R

Seriously?

Grow up.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-17 06:53:31
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Dear OP,

Tell your friend's carcass, at his funeral, that he is a dumbass. No girl is worth dying over.
wait, he died over a girl?

That's not suicide, thats Natural Selection running its course.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-02-17 06:59:01
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Dear OP,

wait, he died over a girl?

That's not suicide, thats Natural Selection running its course.
My guess from the OP's first sentence:
Raborn said:
Recently had a friend commit suicide, Valentine's Day to be exact.
Either he got turned down by the girl of his dreams (who would probably use him for his money) or he got dumped or he was forever alone.

Honestly, people who kill themselves over anything are just morons.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8