Pakistan
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-01-18 09:33:51
Link | Citer | R

It doesn't necassarily mean its becoming more acceptable just more common. Thats like saying just because theft is up in a neighborhood its becoming more acceptable to rob people when in fact It is still a crime and unnaceptable but just more common.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-18 10:00:48
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
It doesn't necassarily mean its becoming more acceptable just more common. Thats like saying just because theft is up in a neighborhood its becoming more acceptable to rob people when in fact It is still a crime and "unnaceptable" but just more common.

Misinterpretation.

I'm not talking about what the "general population" feels/thinks is acceptable.

If more people are killing/leaving newborn babies in Pakistan, that means more people (the ones doing it) are finding it to be an acceptable practice.

That's cause for concern, from a humanistic standpoint.

The fact that a heavily religion-influenced moral/cultural code is CAUSING Pakistani women to CHOOSE infanticide (choosing to murder a defenseless baby, rather than face social shunning for having a child "out of wedlock") is the cause for alarm here.

In other words, Pakistani culture's failure to allow freedom of choice for women is teaching women that killing your newborn baby is an acceptable practice, or even PREFERABLE, when compared to the public persecution leveraged on the mother for having a baby without being married to the father.

Ever read "The Scarlet Letter"?

[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 10:09:00
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
It doesn't necassarily mean its becoming more acceptable just more common. Thats like saying just because theft is up in a neighborhood its becoming more acceptable to rob people when in fact It is still a crime and "unnaceptable" but just more common.

Misinterpretation.

I'm not talking about what the "general population" feels/thinks is acceptable.

If more people are killing/leaving newborn babies in Pakistan, that means more people (the ones doing it) are finding it to be an acceptable practice.

That's cause for concern, from a humanistic standpoint.

The fact that a heavily religion-influenced moral/cultural code is CAUSING Pakistani women to CHOOSE infanticide (choosing to murder a defenseless baby, rather than face social shunning for having a child "out of wedlock") is the cause for alarm here.

In other words, Pakistani culture's failure to allow freedom of choice for women is teaching women that killing your newborn baby is an acceptable practice, or even PREFERABLE, when compared to the public persecution leveraged on the mother for having a baby without being married to the father.

Ever read "The Scarlet Letter"?

I hope you are just as concerned with how religion in America is causing more young girls to leave their babies in dumpsters because their parents won't allow them to have birth control. These girls feel it would ruin their life to have a child and so they abandon/kill them. It is a crime in America to leave your baby in a dumpster/kill them but this has been on the rise for many years.

In fact everything you just said about Pakistan can be related to the American system of preaching abstence instead of birth control.
 Sylph.Cossack
Serveur: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-01-18 10:11:45
Link | Citer | R

Quran (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution of Muslims is worse than slaughter of non-believers and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority"

Quran (4:76) - "Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah…"

Quran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Quran (9:5) - "So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them."

Quran (9:111) - "Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Quran: and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? then rejoice in the bargain which ye have concluded: that is the achievement supreme."

Quran (9:123) - "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."

Quran (33:60-62) - "If the hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and the alarmists in the city do not cease, We verily shall urge thee on against them, then they will be your neighbors in it but a little while. Accursed, they will be seized wherever found and slain with a (fierce) slaughter."

Quran (47:35) - "Be not weary and faint-hearted, crying for peace, when ye should be uppermost (Shakir: "have the upper hand") for Allah is with you,"

Its a religion of peace, if you don't like it they'll cut your *** head off.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-18 10:21:45
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:

I hope you are just as concerned with how religion in America is causing more young girls to leave their babies in dumpsters because their parents won't allow them to have birth control. These girls feel it would ruin their life to have a child and so they abandon/kill them. It is a crime in America to leave your baby in a dumpster/kill them but this has been on the rise for many years.

In fact everything you just said about Pakistan can be related to the American system of preaching abstence instead of birth control.

Actually, yes I am concerned about this practice in America, too. Just because I'm shedding light on a reprehensible practice being condoned by an Islamic nation's culture, doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the failings of Christianity and the USA.

My point in bringing this topic up, is to highlight how irresponsible and hypocritical Islamic culture is abroad.
I'm not saying people who are practicing Islam are inherently "bad" people. Rather, I think Muslims need to take a hard introspective look at the culture they cherish so much. There's some things that need to happen to lower the flames of contempt that are growing between the Islamic world and the "Western" world. And if Pakistani women are hanging newborns, rather than loving and caring for the babies, like ANY human mother should, naturally, then that's a good place to create change.

If there is a benevolent god, s/he SURELY doesn't want anyone murdering infants in his/her name. That's just deplorable.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 10:34:34
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Cossack said:

These are from the bible and the torah on killing babies. Might as well be equal in our quoting.

"... at midnight the Lord smote
all the first born in the land of
Egypt, from the first born of the
pharaoh... unto the first born of
the captive that was in the dungeon;
and all the first born cattle"
-- Exodus 12:29

"...They shall fall by the sword:
their infants shall be dashed in
pieces, and their women with child
shall be ripped up!"
-- Hosea 13:16

"Their children shall be dashed
to pieces before their eyes!
There houses spoiled, and their
wives raped...Dash the young men
to pieces...have no pity on the
fruit of the womb, the children
shall not be spared"
-- Isaiah 13:16-18

“Happy shall he be, that taketh
and dasheth thy little ones against
the stones.” --Psalms 137:9
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-01-18 11:19:46
Link | Citer | R

Are we making a difference by talking about this?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-18 11:31:50
Link | Citer | R

1) In his introduction, Swift's projector explains the reason for his proposal: "for Preventing the Children of poor People in Ireland, from being a Burden to their Parents or Country; and for making them beneficial to the Publick."

2) "It is a melancholy object to those who walk through this great town, or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads, and cabin-doors crowded with beggars of the female sex, followed by three, four, or six children, all in rags, ad importuning every passenger for an alms."

3) "But my intention is very far from being confined to provide only for the children of professed beggars; it is of a much greater extent.."

4) ".I calculate there may be about two hundred thousand couple whose wives are breeders."

5) "I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child, well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food.."

6) "Infants' flesh will be in season throughout the year.."

7) "I compute that Dublin would take off annually about twenty thousand carcasses.."
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 11:49:51
Link | Citer | R

My point in bringing this topic up, is to highlight how irresponsible and hypocritical Christian/Jewish/religion culture is abroad.
I'm not saying people who are practicing Christianity/Judaism/any religion are inherently "bad" people. Rather, I think Christians/Jews/religions need to take a hard introspective look at the culture they cherish so much. There's some things that need to happen to lower the flames of contempt that are growing between the Islamic world and the "Western" world. And if Christians/Jews/religions women are hanging newborns, rather than loving and caring for the babies, like ANY human mother should, naturally, then that's a good place to create change.

Maybe we should work on cleaning up our own countries problems before we go critizing others for doing the same thing.
 Ragnarok.Slade
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Slade 2011-01-18 11:57:33
Link | Citer | R

yeeeeeaaahhh isn't this called abortion?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 12:09:51
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Slade said:

If you have a baby and kill it that would be illegal according to the laws in Pakistan and the US.

Abortion is a totally different topic and legal in a lot of countries.
[+]
 Sylph.Cossack
Serveur: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-01-18 12:19:09
Link | Citer | R

Kara everything you quoted was from the Torah.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 12:27:12
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Cossack said:

So your bible only has the new testament?

Just because it is in the old testament does not mean it is not apart of the bible. Most Christian churchs still use the old testament in their teachings.....Genesis is old testment yet for some reason it is still used to preach intelligent design.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-18 12:28:32
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

Just because it is in the old testament does not mean it is not apart of the bible. Most Christian churchs still use the old testament in their teachings.....Genesis is old testment yet for some reason it is still used to preach intelligent design.
YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO FORGET EVERYTHING ONCE JESUS COMES ON THE SCENE JEESH!
/sarcasm
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 12:30:41
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

/sarcasm

lol except how the world was created.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-18 12:33:08
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

/sarcasm

he made it entirely out of fish, wine, and bread.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 12:36:17
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

/sarcasm

Yea I've always wondered then, why do Baptists not like to drink then? Because Jesus totally had some wine/blood....but they like to use the grape juice instead.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-18 12:38:20
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

/sarcasm

Yea I've always wondered then, why do Baptists not like to drink then? Because Jesus totally had some wine/blood....but they like to use the grape juice instead.
they hinge that logic on the "my body is a temple" line.
I honestly don't know where the line was drawn in the sand for all the denominations sprouting off of Catholicism to be so against alcohol....there's probably a good reason, but I can't think of one past the my body is a temple excuse some seem to use for it.
it is funny that most of the baptists I know that seem to tout this logic happen to be overweight.
guess overindulging on the foods ain't bad for the temple :P
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 12:43:21
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

/sarcasm

they hinge that logic on the "my body is a temple" line.
I honestly don't know where the line was drawn in the sand for all the denominations sprouting off of Catholicism to be so against alcohol....there's probably a good reason, but I can't think of one past the my body is a temple excuse some seem to use for it.
it is funny that most of the baptists I know that seem to tout this logic happen to be overweight.
guess overindulging on the foods ain't bad for the temple :P

Yes well saying one thing and doing another....sounds familiar.
 Ragnarok.Slade
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Slade 2011-01-18 12:46:08
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Ragnarok.Slade said:

If you have a baby and kill it that would be illegal according to the laws in Pakistan and the US.

The procedure of abortion is illegal in Pakistan. So women pretty much always have the kid. That alone could cause the baby murders. the point i'm trying to make is that people always blow ***up when it's an islamic country, while the same ***happens in the west.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 12:48:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Slade said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Ragnarok.Slade said:

The procedure of abortion is illegal in Pakistan. So women pretty much always have the kid. That alone could cause the baby murders. the point i'm trying to make is that people always blow ***up when it's an islamic country, while the same ***happens in the west.

totally agree
edit: bolded what i totally agree with
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-18 12:58:52
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

old is still very relevant for those who give a rats *** about Jesus

Matthew 5:
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

just sayin'
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-01-18 13:01:21
Link | Citer | R

Baby killing is bad anyway you put it.

But on a lighter note: The Jets beat the Pats!!! woooot.
 Caitsith.Amonk
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Amonk
By Caitsith.Amonk 2011-01-18 13:18:52
Link | Citer | R

China
By Wombat 2011-01-18 13:22:55
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

These are from the bible and the torah on killing babies. Might as well be equal in our quoting.

shall be ripped up!"

shall not be spared"

It's easy to take things out of context and make it sound evil, or like it's promoting something it isn't. Clearly you don't understand the history behind any of these verses, why the writers are saying what they are saying, or who they are saying it to and about.

None of these examples encourage the killing of children when read in context.
By Wombat 2011-01-18 13:23:38
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

old is still very relevant for those who give a rats *** about Jesus

Matthew 5:
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
just sayin'
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-18 13:31:35
Link | Citer | R

Wombat said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

shall be ripped up!"

shall not be spared"

It's easy to take things out of context and make it sound evil, or like it's promoting something it isn't. Clearly you don't understand the history behind any of these verse, why the writers are saying what they are saying, or who they are saying it to and about.

You must be upset with the person who quoted the Qur'an too? Since I guess you missed the entire point of the "These are from the bible and the torah on killing babies. Might as well be equal in our quoting."

How is it out of context to quote Exodus 12:29 on God killing the first born? Guess it must be metaphorical.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Wombat 2011-01-18 13:44:18
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said:
Wombat said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Sylph.Cossack said:

shall be ripped up!"

shall not be spared"

It's easy to take things out of context and make it sound evil, or like it's promoting something it isn't. Clearly you don't understand the history behind any of these verse, why the writers are saying what they are saying, or who they are saying it to and about.

You must be upset with the person who quoted the Qur'an too? Since I guess you missed the entire point of the "These are from the bible and the torah on killing babies. Might as well be equal in our quoting."

How is it out of context to quote Exodus 12:29 on God killing the first born? Guess it must be metaphorical.

God killed the first born sons of Egypt after Pharaoh repeatedly refused to release the Israelites from a slavery that lasted hundreds of years.

That's slavery; as in forced labor, rape, murder (including children), etc. for several hundred years, based solely on their ethnicity.

Either way, in no way does this encourage anyone to kill children themselves. It merely states that after nine previous warnings, God chose this course of action to end that slavery.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2011-01-18 13:52:07
Link | Citer | R

Wombat said:

God killed the first born sons of Egypt after Pharaoh repeatedly refused to release the Israelites from a slavery that lasted hundreds of years.

That's slavery; as in forced labor, rape, murder (including children), etc. for several hundred years, based solely on their ethnicity.

Either way, in no way does this encourage anyone to kill children themselves. It merely states that after nine previous warnings, God chose this course of action to end that slavery.

That's infanticide; as in the homicide of an infant, solely based on their ethnicity.

Either way, in no way does this encourage anyone to enslave people themselves. It merely states that after killing all of the first born sons of an entire population, God chose this course of action to end those lives.

God, being omnipotent, could have just... Oh, I don't know, teleported them to another area of the world? Maybe just freed them?

Or just decided "Ah *** it, I'm being lazy today. I've ignored my worshippers for a few hundred years while they have been slaves, so rather than delivering them to a better place, I'll just kill a bunch of babies."
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9