First Page 2 3 4 5
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-01-13 10:58:04
Link | Citer | R

Ok, I never make these political/religious debate threads but my boyfriend and I were watching Ghost Hunters last night (just to kill time) and I had said to him "I wonder how religious people think about how people go out and hunt ghosts."

So it made me a bit curious from religious folks of how they feel about the whole ghost hunting thing. And I'm not meaning from just TV shows but from any kind of ghost hunting.

I heard that there is a show that they provoke the ghost/spirits. Just curious of the topic really.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-01-13 11:01:24
Link | Citer | R

Well, there is the "Holy Ghost / Holy Spirit" in Christianity. So if they don't believe in ghosts, then they're not true Christians.

I, personally, think they exist. I've watched Ghost Hunters many times, some episodes scare the bejesus out of me, while others were just lame.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-01-13 11:02:08
Link | Citer | R

People believe in ghosts?

[+]
 Siren.Kuz
Serveur: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-01-13 11:02:26
Link | Citer | R

Sorry, this was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread...

[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-01-13 11:09:46
Link | Citer | R

When I was a child, I asked my parents if they believed in ghosts. They are very Christian. What they told me at the time was that dead people's spirits go either to heaven or to hell and do not stay on earth. Their belief basically is that there are ghosts, so to speak, but not here. I'm not sure if that is representative of all Christians' views on ghosts, though.

I don't believe in ghosts unless I have recently watched a scary ghost movie, at which time I believe in ghosts until I stop having nightmares. >.>
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-01-13 11:11:07
Link | Citer | R

Is it wrong to hunt ghosts though or even provoke them? I would think religious folks would throw a fit about how people are disturbing the dead or some crap.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-13 11:23:59
Link | Citer | R

I think Ghosts in the terms that Ghost hunters and those 50 other rip off shows look for is a bunch of phooey.
I haven't really seen much that would make me believe in ghosts, but I've been a skeptic of many things since an early age so ehhh.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 11:25:46
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Ok, I never make these political/religious debate threads but my boyfriend and I were watching Ghost Hunters last night (just to kill time) and I had said to him "I wonder how religious people think about how people go out and hunt ghosts."

So it made me a bit curious from religious folks of how they feel about the whole ghost hunting thing. And I'm not meaning from just TV shows but from any kind of ghost hunting.

I heard that there is a show that they provoke the ghost/spirits. Just curious of the topic really.

my entire line of thought of people jumping to the super natural instead of searching for a logical conclusion by seeing a commercial for one o those shows and getting chastised on calling the people crazy...

I just don't get it.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-13 11:29:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Andevom said:
I'm weird about referring to ghosts as "dead." Isn't death...devoid of all life? Aren't ghosts...kinda alive? If they can interact with the living world and/or have a consciousness/memories, is it really accurate to refer to them as dead?

I think referring to them as dead is more just a way to perceive how they would exist in reality.
Technically you could say after death would just be another plane of life.
But referring to them as dead is more how we would perceive them than anything.

Most Ghost Hunter-esque shows hinge highly on emotion of the hunters and how they feel in an environment, and I just can't make myself believe how they feel when I don't believe how some Christians in my area feel(Pentacostal Holy Ghost Types), so not believing in ghosts comes to me more as a consistency of thought than anything, but who's to say which came first in my perception, the pentecostals or the ghosts, so I may have discredited the ghost first or the other way around.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-13 11:31:39
Link | Citer | R

Lol at those tv shows.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-01-13 11:35:36
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Is it wrong to hunt ghosts though or even provoke them? I would think religious folks would throw a fit about how people are disturbing the dead or some crap.

Some actual ghost hunters are even pretty particular about it.. A lot of them don't actually like the negative energy/name calling/provocation to bring out a spirit, and would rather try to gather data on whatever is happening naturally..

Tv ratings, imo, push for the opposite. If you ever watch Ghost Adventures (or whatever i forget) on Travel, they seem pretty sincere about their wanting to do it but you can kinda tell they're pushed into behaving more.. "rating" friendly, I guess.

Yea on the episode last night the guy asked the ghost "Did you see yourself die the moment after they chopped your head off with an axe and before your brain actually stopped functioning?"

...wtf kind of question is that to ask the ghost.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-01-13 11:46:47
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Yea on the episode last night the guy asked the ghost "Did you see yourself die the moment after they chopped your head off with an axe and before your brain actually stopped functioning?"

Actually... the brain functions for just a few seconds once the head is removed from the body.
So one of the biggest "adding insult to injury" things you could do after you chop someones head off is quickly grab it and show them their own dead body.
Morbid, yes. But just think... the last thing you'd ever see is your own headless corpse.

So seems like a valid question!!!

The second cruelest "adding insult to injury" move you could do is...
If you kill someone for their wallet. Take the time to fill out their "Organ Donor" information!!!!
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-01-13 11:50:31
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kuz said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:

Actually... the brain functions for just a few seconds once the head is removed from the body.
So one of the biggest "adding insult to injury" things you could do after you chop someones head off is quickly grab it and show them their own dead body.
Morbid, yes. But just think... the last thing you'd ever see is your own headless corpse.

If you kill someone for their wallet. Take the time to fill out their "Organ Donor" information!!!!

lol yea but it was for ghost hunting and a off the wall question when they just want to collect data lol
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-13 11:59:29
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kuz said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:

My organ donor info is not in a "fill out-able" format, it's printed on a card by a machine.
I am confuse with wut u say.
 Siren.Mallicard
user: Mallicard
By Siren.Mallicard 2011-01-13 12:09:25
Link | Citer | R

If you want a Christian look at this:

Death is viewed as a separation, this can be physical or spiritual. So death in this sense is a separation of the body and soul. Included in this is the fact that the soul goes somewhere, it doesn't stay here even if they left something undone. This gets a little blurry because of a passage in Revelation.

With that said there are 2 things:

The shows are fake of course, its to make money not find ghosts.

If you do have some kind of ghostly event happen to you, there is no doubt something other worldly did it.

Me and my family have had odd things happen, but I do not believe it was the ghost of someone. I am not sure what it was but none of the experiences were pleasant.
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-01-13 12:17:19
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
My organ donor info is not in a "fill out-able" format, it's printed on a card by a machine.

Old joke from days gone by when on the back of your license, you could actually use the "check boxes" for donating your eyes, liver, kidneys, etc etc.

tl;dr I'm showing my age.
 Cerberus.Starr
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 12:39:27
Link | Citer | R

I'm religious and I don't believe in ghosts but I believe that anyone who believes in ghosts must be a Theist because it shows an afterlife.

There are no ghosts in Christianity but there is a part in Kings I or Kings II where a spiritualist brings back the spirit of someone back to be talked to.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 12:40:40
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Starr said:
I'm religious and I don't believe in ghosts but I believe that anyone who believes in ghosts must be a Theist because it shows an afterlife.

There are no ghosts in Christianity but there is a part in Kings I or Kings II where a spiritualist brings back the spirit of someone back to be talked to.

what part of having a belief in god makes or doesn't make one believe in spirits?

there are plenty of ghosts in christianity...
 Cerberus.Starr
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-13 12:45:27
Link | Citer | R

Can you reword the first question please? Really can't understand what you're trying to address there.

There are? I only know of Kings, Jesus' resurrection was flesh, and what Paul saw were visions, not a "Ghost".
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-13 12:48:02
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kuz said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Old joke from days gone by when on the back of your license, you could actually use the "check boxes" for donating your eyes, liver, kidneys, etc etc.

That actually makes sense.
And I get the joke now :D.
I guess I'm showing my age somewhat, but then again my age could be still in the land of vaguelus.

the concept of a ghost is vague at best because it applies over so many "supernatural phenomena"
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 12:50:13
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Starr said:
Can you reword the first question please? Really can't understand what you're trying to address there.

There are? I only know of Kings, Jesus' resurrection was flesh, and what Paul saw were visions, not a "Ghost".

ghosts are another term for spirits, beings without physical bodies.

As for the other part to be a theist you have to have a belief in a deity, again what part of ghosts/spirits is directly tied to requiring a god/gods?
 Titan.Wombat
Serveur: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-01-13 12:50:49
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Siren.Kuz said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

That actually makes sense.
And I get the joke now :D.
I guess I'm showing my age somewhat, but then again my age could be still in the land of vaguelus.

23-26 I'd say?
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-13 12:51:31
Link | Citer | R

All ghost hunters episodes are lame. So sad to see everyone jump at the smallest sound and there own imaginations while in a group of other people lol
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-13 12:52:11
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
All ghost hunters episodes are lame. So sad to see everyone jump at the smallest sound and there own imaginations while in a group of other people lol
indeed
First Page 2 3 4 5