Arizona Congresswoman Shot At Public Event

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Arizona Congresswoman Shot at Public Event
Arizona Congresswoman Shot at Public Event
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20
By Serj 2011-01-08 18:29:09
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Putting cross hairs on politician's faces and calling for "second amendment remedies" is all fun and games until someone gets shot through the head. You reap what you sow, and the violent rhetoric the far right unleashed last campaign season is sprouting.

Thankfully both John Boehner and John McCain have offered their kind words and support for the Congresswoman. We'll see if the rest of the nut house is as sympathetic. I can't wait for Rush to be his usual charming self, and for Alex Jones to peddle wares that explain how this was all an inside job.

I wouldn't even call the tea-party *** the far right. I'd call them mentally-handicap-insane-***. They all need to be round up and hit over the head with a brick.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 18:31:22
Link | Citer | R

Serj said:
Putting cross hairs on politician's faces and calling for "second amendment remedies" is all fun and games until someone gets shot through the head. You reap what you sow, and the violent rhetoric the far right unleashed last campaign season is sprouting. Thankfully both John Boehner and John McCain have offered their kind words and support for the Congresswoman. We'll see if the rest of the nut house is as sympathetic. I can't wait for Rush to be his usual charming self, and for Alex Jones to peddle wares that explain how this was all an inside job.
I wouldn't even call the tea-party *** the far right. I'd call them mentally-handicap-insane-***. They all need to be round up and hit over the head with a brick.

Cool suggesting violence against a political group on a thread about violence inflicted on a politician, super classy.
[+]
By Serj 2011-01-08 18:32:10
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Serj said:
Putting cross hairs on politician's faces and calling for "second amendment remedies" is all fun and games until someone gets shot through the head. You reap what you sow, and the violent rhetoric the far right unleashed last campaign season is sprouting. Thankfully both John Boehner and John McCain have offered their kind words and support for the Congresswoman. We'll see if the rest of the nut house is as sympathetic. I can't wait for Rush to be his usual charming self, and for Alex Jones to peddle wares that explain how this was all an inside job.

Cool suggesting violence against a political group on a thread about violence inflicted on a politician, super classy.

Violence begets violence. That's how this world currently runs.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 18:33:02
Link | Citer | R

Serj said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Serj said:

Um, ok cool? An eye for an eye mentality.
[+]
By Serj 2011-01-08 18:33:50
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Serj said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Serj said:

Thanks for stating the obvious.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 18:35:40
Link | Citer | R

From his myspace before it was taken down:
Jared.Loughner said:
Schools:I attended school: Thornydale elementary,Tortolita Middle School, Mountain View Highschool, Northwest Aztec Middle College, and Pima Community College. Interests:My favorite interest was reading, and I studied grammar. Conscience dreams were a great study in college! Movies:(*My idiom: I could coin the moment!*) Music:Pass me the strings! Books:I had favorite books: Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.
His Youtube videos: You can draw your own conclusions. As for me, he sounds too much like the many crazy far right conspiracy theorists I've come in contact with.

No right wing/conservative person I know likes or praises The Communist Manifesto.

That being said, who cares. The guy is mentally ill. Would it make the situation better if we said this guy is a democrat or republican? No.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 18:36:51
Link | Citer | R

Serj said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Serj said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Serj said:
Thanks for stating the obvious.

Cept mainstream Tea Party people do not call for violence.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2011-01-08 18:40:45
Link | Citer | R

At first when I read Harp saying that the left uses violent rhetoric also I was like ... "Nuh uh!!"

Then Serj comes in and takes this dump ...

Sorry for doubting you Harp lol

p.s. can I get my quote taken out of the quote train before it gets too stupid?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2011-01-08 18:41:36
Link | Citer | R

If the guy is not right or left, why'd he pick a democrat to shot? That's the only question I have.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 18:49:37
Link | Citer | R

If the guy is not right or left, why'd he pick a democrat to shot? That's the only question I have.

Because it was his local politician that represented him. He seems to be against government in general, saying they use mind control. But...I'm trying to rationalize the acts of a lunatic.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2011-01-08 18:51:31
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Sharron Angle wasn't mainstream? Can we get a list of "mainstream tea party" cause that's the excuse I hear all the time when one of their nut jobs says something over the top.

Rand Paul: Civil Rights shouldn't have happened the way it did \o/
Media: Wut?
Tea Party: ... Uh, he didn't mean it that way ... plus he's not really mainstream tea party ...
Rand Paul: Yeah, What I meant to say was: I agree with the Civil Rights Act and wouldn't work to repeal it \o/

***gets old ya know?
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-01-08 19:01:39
Link | Citer | R

i'm tired of this back and forth douchebaggery both the left and right have
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-08 19:06:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
I'd say for now, even with the shooter's motivations for doing such a horrible thing, let's try not to politicize this in a harsh degree between each other. Innocent lives lost, innocent people suffering. Tragic.
yeah no one that got shot deserved this it was a random and horrible thing to do i hope that guy burns in hell

Ditto. Its a shame our politicians can't go out into public without all types of security, and in this case innocent people. This guy is a douchebag. He also shames his military service.
He was ex military, huh?

I would be in favor of putting him in front of a firing squad then.

No excuse for killing a 9 year old kid, never mind the fact he went on a shooting rampage because he forgot to put his tin foil hat on.

FYI (for everyone else): I do not know of any Democrat that has the tea party's support.

This congresswoman actually defeated a tea party backed candidate for senate.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 19:10:01
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Sharron Angle wasn't mainstream? Can we get a list of "mainstream tea party" cause that's the excuse I hear all the time when one of their nut jobs says something over the top. Rand Paul: Civil Rights shouldn't have happened the way it did \o/ Media: Wut? Tea Party: ... Uh, he didn't mean it that way ... plus he's not really mainstream tea party ... Rand Paul: Yeah, What I meant to say was: I agree with the Civil Rights Act and wouldn't work to repeal it \o/ ***gets old ya know?

But i'm not seeing the call to violence?
 Asura.Silvaria
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-01-08 19:12:12
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, it doesn't matter if he was to the left or to the right of center...extremists don't represent the parties as a whole. The vast majority of Republicans and Democrats are NOT violent, and they shouldn't be held accountable for those within their ranks who are.

I think the guy was just a nut, and since I don't advocate the death penalty, I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison, where they don't take kindly to killing innocent, bystanding children. He'll get what he deserves.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-08 19:12:17
Link | Citer | R

He also mentions something about a "new currency."

If he's referring to the debate about returning the gold standard, he might not be aware that until Nixon changed this, we were always on the gold standard.

I think I would support returning to the gold standard.

But then I read the part mind control, and quickly realized he was completely out in left field on this, and who the hell knows what he was ranting about.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-08 19:13:26
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Silvaria said:
Honestly, it doesn't matter if he was to the left or to the right of center...extremists don't represent the parties as a whole. The vast majority of Republicans and Democrats are NOT violent, and they shouldn't be held accountable for those within their ranks who are.

I think the guy was just a nut, and since I don't advocate the death penalty, I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison, where they don't take kindly to killing innocent, bystanding children. He'll get what he deserves.
True, I would be in favor of a firing squad, but killing innocent children, yeah maybe it's best he suffers in jail for the rest of life, with his inmates knowing this.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2011-01-08 19:35:14
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Sharron Angle wasn't mainstream? Can we get a list of "mainstream tea party" cause that's the excuse I hear all the time when one of their nut jobs says something over the top. Rand Paul: Civil Rights shouldn't have happened the way it did \o/ Media: Wut? Tea Party: ... Uh, he didn't mean it that way ... plus he's not really mainstream tea party ... Rand Paul: Yeah, What I meant to say was: I agree with the Civil Rights Act and wouldn't work to repeal it \o/ ***gets old ya know?

"I hope that's not where we're going, but you know if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out." --Nevada GOP Senate nominee and Tea Party favorite Sharron Angle, floating the possibility of armed insurrection, interview with right-wing talk radio host Lars Larson in Portland, OR, January 2010
[+]
 Phoenix.Destrac
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Destrac
By Phoenix.Destrac 2011-01-08 19:48:34
Link | Citer | R

The guy is not military.

From CNN:
Quote:
[Updated at 7:43 p.m. ET] The Army said in a statement that the suspect in the shooting was never in the Army.

"He attempted to enlist in the Army but was rejected for service. In accordance with the Privacy Act, we will not discuss why he was rejected," the Army said in a statement.

Among those killed was also federal judge Roll who ruled in favor of the immigrants in a recent case.

The guy is clearly a lunatic and it seems any left or right affiliation is unsupportable.

I would still hold the tea-party accountable for this shooting to a certain degree though, as they are the only large political group to extremely inflame political discussions with violent rhetoric and was literally asking for this kind of stuff to happen.

Example: Sarah Palin's "hit list" of political candidates for last election (with symbolic rifle targets), on which Rep. Giffords was on. Sharon Angle's "second amendment remedies" against government (a thinly disguised way of saying use guns against government officials). Vandalism and death threats to those who voted for the healthcare act.

Remember the abortion doctor's shooting?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 19:52:56
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
"I hope that's not where we're going, but you know if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out." --Nevada GOP Senate nominee and Tea Party favorite Sharron Angle, floating the possibility of armed insurrection, interview with right-wing talk radio host Lars Larson in Portland, OR, January 2010

"You know, our Founding Fathers, they put that Second Amendment in there for a good reason and that was for the people to protect themselves against a tyrannical government. And in fact Thomas Jefferson said it's good for a country to have a revolution every 20 years.

I hope that's not where we're going, but, you know, if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out."

Theres the quote. She's refering to what some might resort to- or so it would seem to be. Problem is I can't find the show transcript, so I have no idea what dialog occured right after this. She also states "I hope that's not where we're going."
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 20:04:07
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Destrac said:
The guy is not military. From CNN:
Quote:
[Updated at 7:43 p.m. ET] The Army said in a statement that the suspect in the shooting was never in the Army. "He attempted to enlist in the Army but was rejected for service. In accordance with the Privacy Act, we will not discuss why he was rejected," the Army said in a statement.
Among those killed was also federal judge Roll who ruled in favor of the immigrants in a recent case. The guy is clearly a lunatic and it seems any left or right affiliation is unsupportable. I would still hold the tea-party accountable for this shooting to a certain degree though, as they are the only large political group to extremely inflame political discussions with violent rhetoric and was literally asking for this kind of stuff to happen. Example: Sarah Palin's "hit list" of political candidates for last election (with symbolic rifle targets), on which Rep. Giffords was on. Sharon Angle's "second amendment remedies" against government (a thinly disguised way of saying use guns against government officials). Vandalism and death threats to those who voted for the healthcare act. Remember the abortion doctor's shooting?

He's a lunatic. You could just as easily say he was influenced by any book he read.

If someone shoots another person, do we blame the NRA or do we blame the person who squeezed the trigger?
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-01-08 20:05:34
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Destrac said:
The guy is not military.

From CNN:
Quote:
[Updated at 7:43 p.m. ET] The Army said in a statement that the suspect in the shooting was never in the Army.

"He attempted to enlist in the Army but was rejected for service. In accordance with the Privacy Act, we will not discuss why he was rejected," the Army said in a statement.

Among those killed was also federal judge Roll who ruled in favor of the immigrants in a recent case.

The guy is clearly a lunatic and it seems any left or right affiliation is unsupportable.

I would still hold the tea-party accountable for this shooting to a certain degree though, as they are the only large political group to extremely inflame political discussions with violent rhetoric and was literally asking for this kind of stuff to happen.

Example: Sarah Palin's "hit list" of political candidates for last election (with symbolic rifle targets), on which Rep. Giffords was on. Sharon Angle's "second amendment remedies" against government (a thinly disguised way of saying use guns against government officials). Vandalism and death threats to those who voted for the healthcare act.

Remember the abortion doctor's shooting?

I post regularly on political forums, so I certainly won't argue that ever since Obama's election, the far right has seemed a bit more angry and violent than usual. What I can't figure out is WHY...I don't recall this level of hatred aimed at Clinton.

All I keep hearing from the TeaPublicans is how "angry" they are...angry at what?? What has Obama done that has made YOUR right-wing life so utterly and completely insufferable now? What have Democrats done that have made your life such a living hell that you feel the need to threaten to take them out via the Second Amendment method?

To me, their "anger" is a big effing joke. The ones who are so angry still have their cell phones, their gas-guzzling SUVs, their microwave ovens, and of course, their guns. If Obama had swept in and tried to take all of those "oh-so necessary" luxuries away, I could understand the rage. But he hasn't done anything even remotely of the sort, so...what the hell are they so damn angry about?

And where was all this rage when Bush & Co. were running the economy into the ground because of a seriously misguided war, and other failed economic policies? Where were the threats of violence then?

I guess I just don't get it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darkdestroyer
By Phoenix.Darkdestroyer 2011-01-08 20:05:40
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
this statement is 100% true...read it, she never told people to go out and shoot anyone she said basically the stuff that congress has been doing was gonna bring out the wackos and wackos would jump to guns...hate to say it but proof is here. Congress republican and democrates alike keep rasing taxes, tossing new regulations on everything, and in todays day and age a wacko is libal to kill you over 5 bucks...congress keeps taking more and more then that every day.

SO to stop this what do we do ban guns? you see what the ban on Pot is like? people who want it get it, people who really want it kill for it. So ban guns and people who really want them use them to kill. The more stuff you ban the more opening you make for mexican drug lords to make a killing or gun runners to start making more money on hand guns then AK's. You also invite more gun runners into the mix because the money got better of something easyer to find. anytime you thank of putting a ban on something remember this "BANS DONT WORK"...and since this is a ffxi forum lets use a ffxi example does the ban on bots and windower really stop anyone from useing them? In closing it should also be noted that people who own guns use them for hunting, show off ect...these are adrenaline fualed activitys make it illagl to get the guns you give these adrenaline junkys more of a reason to own one.
 Phoenix.Destrac
By Phoenix.Destrac 2011-01-08 20:08:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
"You know, our Founding Fathers, they put that Second Amendment in there for a good reason and that was for the people to protect themselves against a tyrannical government. And in fact Thomas Jefferson said it's good for a country to have a revolution every 20 years.

I hope that's not where we're going, but, you know, if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out."

Theres the quote. She's refering to what some might resort to- or so it would seem to be. Problem is I can't find the show transcript, so I have no idea what dialog occured right after this. She also states "I hope that's not where we're going."

Thats exactly what we mean by "rhetoric inciting violence." Taking up arms against a tyrannical government is all fine and dandy. If the president refused to turn over power at the end of his term. If there was outright and large scale suppression of liberty. If there was outright election fraud. If there was outright military take over of the government and people.

We're nowhere near that point, and not even headed in that direction. The reality is this is all just the normal political battling and posturing, with a small economical recession and budget troubles mixed in.

So to be exaggerating the current situation into some dramatic issue and discussing even the possibility of a retaliatory hypothetical armed uprising is "rhetoric inciting violence."
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2011-01-08 20:11:38
Link | Citer | R

Yep, you're right. Saying that the only way to avoid violence is to vote for your party, and that your opposition should be "Taken out" is clearly not violent rhetoric.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2011-01-08 20:19:57
Link | Citer | R

Yep, you're right. Saying that the only way to avoid violence is to vote for your party, and that your opposition should be "Taken out" is clearly not violent rhetoric.

But she never says you HAVE to vote for her party. Why can't another more moderate or fresh democrat replace Reid?
 Phoenix.Darkdestroyer
By Phoenix.Darkdestroyer 2011-01-08 20:23:00
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Silvaria said:
Phoenix.Destrac said:
The guy is not military. From CNN:
Quote:
[Updated at 7:43 p.m. ET] The Army said in a statement that the suspect in the shooting was never in the Army. "He attempted to enlist in the Army but was rejected for service. In accordance with the Privacy Act, we will not discuss why he was rejected," the Army said in a statement.
Among those killed was also federal judge Roll who ruled in favor of the immigrants in a recent case. The guy is clearly a lunatic and it seems any left or right affiliation is unsupportable. I would still hold the tea-party accountable for this shooting to a certain degree though, as they are the only large political group to extremely inflame political discussions with violent rhetoric and was literally asking for this kind of stuff to happen. Example: Sarah Palin's "hit list" of political candidates for last election (with symbolic rifle targets), on which Rep. Giffords was on. Sharon Angle's "second amendment remedies" against government (a thinly disguised way of saying use guns against government officials). Vandalism and death threats to those who voted for the healthcare act. Remember the abortion doctor's shooting?
I post regularly on political forums, so I certainly won't argue that ever since Obama's election, the far right has seemed a bit more angry and violent than usual. What I can't figure out is WHY...I don't recall this level of hatred aimed at Clinton. All I keep hearing from the TeaPublicans is how "angry" they are...angry at what?? What has Obama done that has made YOUR right-wing life so utterly and completely insufferable now? What have Democrats done that have made your life such a living hell that you feel the need to threaten to take them out via the Second Amendment method? To me, their "anger" is a big effing joke. The ones who are so angry still have their cell phones, their gas-guzzling SUVs, their microwave ovens, and of course, their guns. If Obama had swept in and tried to take all of those "oh-so necessary" luxuries away, I could understand the rage. But he hasn't done anything even remotely of the sort, so...what the hell are they so damn angry about? And where was all this rage when Bush & Co. were running the economy into the ground because of a seriously misguided war, and other failed economic policies? Where were the threats of violence then? I guess I just don't get it.
one of the biggest reasons you hear teaparty members are so angery is economy...is it Obama's fault? not really, is it Bushes fault? not really...the fault of the economy accully lands more on the heads of congresss because without them voting for failed policies the president would have nothing to sign, yet the burden of said troubles always lands at the feet of the president sorry Obama its just part of the job.
[+]
 Phoenix.Destrac
By Phoenix.Destrac 2011-01-08 20:23:37
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Phoenix.Destrac said:

He's a lunatic. You could just as easily say he was influenced by any book he read.

If someone shoots another person, do we blame the NRA or do we blame the person who squeezed the trigger?

For the record I'm for the right to own guns. And don't blame the NRA in this at all.

It is true that the books he read could've (and probably did) motivated him (and those books were definitely those emo-hate-filled-don't-brood-on-these-too-much-or-you'll-get-depressed kinds of books).

But look at the situation, he specifically came out to a democratic congresswoman's event and shot her straight in the head. There are also posts of him in the past collaborating with others on trying to remove her from office in the 2010 election (right before some comment about practicing firing an M16 if she won again).

So I think he definitely wasn't shooting randomly, but had a specific intent to kill this woman, and influenced to some degree by the tea-party and not just the books (maybe he didn't agree with their ideology, but their talk of targeting her and all this "anger" bs could have been encouraging).
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-01-08 20:25:33
Link | Citer | R

A child was murdered, and we're focusing on the politics around the situation.

What has become of us, as a society? As a species?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20