Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repealed

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repealed
Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repealed
First Page 2 3
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-18 15:32:42
Link | Citer | R

The Senate and House have voted to end the 17-year military ban on gay men and women serving openly in the US armed forces.

Eight Republicans and independent Joe Lieberman joined Senate Democrats to pass repeal, 65-31. President Obama is expected to sign the bill next week.

The repeal follows an exhaustive year-long survey of 400,000 military service members and top brass, which indicated that over 70% believe a repeal of DADT would have either "a positive effect or no effect on their ability to complete missions."

Public opinion polling as of November showed that 78% of Americans were in favor of repeal.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-12-18 15:36:38
Link | Citer | R

Hasn't this been over-turned and reinstated multiple times already? Is it really over, finally?
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-12-18 15:37:33
Link | Citer | R

So much for that "When the rights of a minority is up to vote, its never passed." thing.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-12-18 15:38:07
Link | Citer | R

Seems like the world is finally taking steps in the right direction against prejudice and bigotry
[+]
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-12-18 15:39:21
Link | Citer | R

This is good news.
 Seraph.Mooshie
Serveur: Seraph
user: Mooshie
By Seraph.Mooshie 2010-12-18 15:40:15
Link | Citer | R

Good news IMO. I'm in the British military where homosexuals can openly serve. I'm straight but have alot of great gay friends in the forces. This can only be a good thing
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-12-18 15:47:10
Link | Citer | R

Hopefully one more step in the right direction for American society.

There's so much unnecessary anxiety and fear about gays in the USA.

I'm really not sure what people are so afraid of.

I've never met a gay man that has made advances on a straight man. I've never met a gay man that openly or outwardly bears any ill will towards straight men.

Sure, there are some VERY effeminate gay men out there, but I highly doubt they'll be the ones clamoring to join the military.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-12-18 15:48:41
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
I've never met a gay man that has made advances on a straight man.
I have. But I don't view it as any worse than a chick who makes advances on a man who doesn't want her..
[+]
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2010-12-18 15:49:46
Link | Citer | R

I'm happy about this. I have 2 gay friends in the military, so I'm glad that they can be themselves now... but I'm nervous about how others in the military are going to treat them. Not everyone is going to be respectful about their fellow soldiers coming out, as much as we wish they would be.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-18 15:50:40
Link | Citer | R

Regardless of how the thread debate goes of whether it's right or wrong, the debate's over. The law is passed. The end.

Hopefully years from now we'll look back and wonder what the big deal was.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-18 15:51:34
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Regardless of how the thread debate goes of whether it's right or wrong, the debate's over. The law is passed. The end.

Already wondering now.
[+]
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2010-12-18 15:53:37
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Laffter said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Already wondering now.

Same. People who are still all up in arms about gay people need to get over it.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-12-18 15:53:57
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Laffter said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Already wondering now.
Okay, it's inevitable so I'll just go ahead and get it started now...

Religion, go. (we all know it's going to go there)

Since gays are good enough to die for our country now, I wonder if this means they're good enough to be able to enjoy the same benefits and/or hell that comes from marriage.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-12-18 15:54:12
Link | Citer | R

Nice. It's step in the right direction. Gays have just as much right as any other person. There should not be a label on sexual orientation.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-12-18 15:54:57
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Fixed.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-18 15:55:27
Link | Citer | R

General Petraeus' office, who runs the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, speaking through a senior aide:

"If there are people who cannot deal with the change, then they're going to have to do what's best for their troops and best for the organization... and exit the military service, so that we can move forward."
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-12-18 15:55:39
Link | Citer | R

People are allowed to do what they want to? Wow, amazing, isn't this how America was supposed to be in the first place?
[+]
 Shiva.Khimaira
Serveur: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-12-18 15:56:07
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Seems like the world is finally taking steps in the right direction against prejudice and bigotry
oh search the other gay threads, you'll find one that kills your faith in mankind, i guarantee it.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-12-18 16:01:08
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
General Petraeus' office, who runs the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, speaking through a senior aide:

"If there are people who cannot deal with the change, then they're going to have to do what's best for their troops and best for the organization... and exit the military service, so that we can move forward."

I like that. I guess the it will be up to the people if they want to use the Get out of jail card, now that they have been given a choice.

Looks like that to me anyways.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Serveur: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-12-18 16:05:33
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I like that. I guess the it will be up to the people if they want to use the Get out of jail card, now that they have been given a choice.

I'm sure it doesn't mean that you can simply say you hate gays and be sent out, rather that if the people do not like it they will have to get out on their own accord, such as not re-enlisting.
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2010-12-18 16:07:13
Link | Citer | R

Oh this is very exciting news! I service beside friends who are homosexuals and it always bothered me that they could lose their clearance or job security because of their sexual orientation. But now a thing of the past. Very exciting.
 Odin.Oldive
Serveur: Odin
user: Oldive
By Odin.Oldive 2010-12-18 16:08:56
Link | Citer | R

Ah I read about this in yesterday's paper last night at work. Glad it went through.
By Andylynn 2010-12-18 16:10:01
Link | Citer | R

not to be depressing debbie, but i personally think this whole situation was a stupid one to begin with. if someone is a homosexual in the military they should keep it to themselves, its no ones business what they do in the bedroom (so long as its legal of course.) to me, the whole LGBT community needs to calm down with the whole oppressed minority act; they should try walking in the shoes of a group like the native americans of the US who are treated like 2nd hand citizens. (the govt can even refuse to recognize your tribes existance... at least LGBT are recognized as an accepted life tyle for the most part..)

hell in some places, LGBT have rights and loopholes that tax payin average joes dont :\. example they get to skip screenings for adoptions here.
[+]
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2010-12-18 16:11:24
Link | Citer | R

Andylynn said:
not to be depressing debbie, but i personally think this whole situation was a stupid one to begin with. if someone is a homosexual in the military they should keep it to themselves, its no ones business what they do in the bedroom (so long as its legal of course.) to me, the whole LGBT community needs to calm down with the whole oppressed minority act; they should try walking in the shoes of a group like the native americans of the US who are treated like 2nd hand citizens. (the govt can even refuse to recognize your tribes existance... at least LGBT are recognized as an accepted life tyle for the most part..)

Native Americans are allowed to get married and are allowed to adopt kids. Gay people don't get to do either of those things. (the adoption thing in some cases)
[+]
 Titan.Lillica
Serveur: Titan
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-12-18 16:14:51
Link | Citer | R

Gays in the military, uhm it's been happening for a while now. When you are at sea with other dudes 6 months a year you find out stuff like that and oddly enough I have almost never found a case where anyone really had problems with it. Turns out gay guys aren't all sex starved maniacs who grope away at any ballsack they find, and long as they don't get too flamboyant about it no one really cares what you do outside the ship.

It's good to hear that they can straight up say "I am gay" now and bring their lovahs to the command events etc though, but just know that its not some new earth shattering development.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-18 16:15:51
Link | Citer | R

The law isn't passed until Obama signs it, which is expected to be next week.

There is a 60-day "certification process" where the top brass of each military branch will prepare the service for the transition. Only then will the law be fully in effect. However, the Pentagon is expected to release an order temporarily halting all discharge proceedings under DADT immediately.

It's also important to note this doesn't give gays any special rights -- they are still under all of the standard military rules against sexual harassment, etc, and scrutiny may be quite strict. They are not allowed to act out on their sexuality any more than straight soldiers already are, or face court martial and potential discharge.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-12-18 16:19:38
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I'm sure it doesn't mean that you can simply say you hate gays and be sent out, rather that if the people do not like it they will have to get out on their own accord, such as not re-enlisting.
I don't hate gays, I was saying
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

ya I hear ya on that. That's right.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-12-18 16:20:56
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The law isn't passed until Obama signs it, which is expected to be next week.

There is a 60-day "certification process" where the top brass of each military branch will prepare the service for the transition. Only then will the law be fully in effect. However, the Pentagon is expected to release an order temporarily halting all discharge proceedings under DADT immediately.

It's also important to note this doesn't give gays any special rights -- they are still under all of the standard military rules against sexual harassment, etc, and scrutiny may be quite strict. They are not allowed to act out on their sexuality any more than straight soldiers already are, or face court martial and potential discharge.

We should all be held up to the same values anyways, Right? Should be any different excpectations or any special preferential treamtment.
 Odin.Oldive
Serveur: Odin
user: Oldive
By Odin.Oldive 2010-12-18 16:24:37
Link | Citer | R

Andylynn said:

hell in some places, LGBT have rights and loopholes that tax payin average joes dont :\. example they get to skip screenings for adoptions here.

And when those who do try to keep it to themselves are found out and then tossed on their ***?

As for your comparison to american-indians, nobody ever said that one group has it worse than the others. It's ALL *** wrong. Understand that, ignorant fool.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Serveur: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-12-18 16:25:04
Link | Citer | R

I wasn't saying you hate gays Neon, and I don't understand why you quoted it twice.
First Page 2 3