Here Is Your Holy Man, Bathed In The Blood Of Inno

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Here is your holy man, bathed in the blood of inno
Here is your holy man, bathed in the blood of inno
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-11-24 11:54:38
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
marriage, along with racism, brings out the worst in people.

This statement makes no sense to me. Might just be me though..
fixed?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 11:55:09
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
This is exactly why marriage is suppose to be 50% of your religion to God, since evil is much easier to achieve when you are not married and/or have no responsibility.
How so? Good and Evil are made-up concepts.

I guess you could say any concept is made up...
Concept:
–noun
1. a general notion or idea; conception.
2. an idea of something formed by mentally combining all its characteristics or particulars; a construct.
3. a directly conceived or intuited object of thought.

Though I would say the vision of good and evil changes with the generally accepted moral guidlines we adopt as a society, which can change from neighborhood to neighborhood, city to city, nation to nation, etc. etc.....
Yup.
Good and Evil are determined by the social norms society happens to dictate.
Good and Evil are about as real as the concept "Normal"
 Titan.Wombat
Serveur: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-11-24 11:57:16
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

I used to be a really nice guy... until I got married.

Now, I hate black people.

Mostly because they're different.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 11:59:40
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

fixed?
You can add that tagline "brings out the worst in people to anything"

Double-stuffed oreos brings the worst out of people.
Bob the Builder brings out the worst in people.
Food Network brings out the worst in people.
It's easy to make blanketed statements for billions.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 12:00:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Doesn't mean that good and evil, at the farthest end of the spectrum when used don't have a practical use in our society. They do.

It's made up based upon what we think sure, but it's not something I'd easily want to lose..
I am fine with good and evil to describe an act or something more specific.
What I am not fine with is people being described as inherently evil.

Titan.Wombat
Serveur: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-11-24 12:05:42
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Doesn't mean that good and evil, at the farthest end of the spectrum when used don't have a practical use in our society. They do.

It's made up based upon what we think sure, but it's not something I'd easily want to lose..

I agree with that. I said before that the guy in the article is evil. I should have said that his actions were evil.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-11-24 12:06:52
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

so you don't think human beings are inherently evil?

Apparently you haven't seen what we're truly capable of.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 12:08:52
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

so you don't think human beings are inherently evil?

Apparently you haven't seen what we're truly capable of.
Bolded the relevant word.
Capable-
Quote:
Having the ability, fitness, or quality necessary to do or achieve a specified thing.

We are capable of both good and evil in society, that does not make us either, but we have the capacity to do both.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-11-24 12:22:21
Link | Citer | R

for everyone one Mother Teresa, or Ghandi, or any other do-gooder out there, I can point out ten sick *** who are ready to rape/sodomize/torture/murder your peace-keeping saint.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 12:23:23
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
for everyone one Mother Teresa, or Ghandi, or any other do-gooder out there, I can point out ten sick *** who are ready to rape/sodomize/torture/murder your peace-keeping saint.
and these ten sick *** also have the capacity to do good as well.
why did you bring that up instead or replying to my statement?
it's easy to say ***like that, but you know deep down that humans aren't that simple.

your choices define who you are.
making many bad choices might make you pegged as a bad person, but it doesn't prevent you from doing something that would be considered to be "good"
we are all capable of both good and evil and if given the chance we can and will.
For example, the Anti-hero.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-11-24 12:26:34
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
it's easy to say ***like that, but you know deep down that humans aren't that simple.
oh, you wanted me to reply?

/reads

you're right, humans are capable of doing both good and evil. I guess I blame the liberal media for displaying only our violent side every time I turn on the news.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-11-24 12:27:41
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

fixed?

Food Network brings out the worst in people.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=R4DXIULV

Sorry couldnt watch it on youtube because of copy right ***.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 12:27:59
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

/reads

you're right, humans are capable of doing both good and evil. I guess I blame the liberal media for displaying only our violent side every time I turn on the news.
it's easy to cast a dark shadow on everything, it sells.
 Phoenix.Darki
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-24 12:28:04
Link | Citer | R

I like this title, it sounds passionate. For a movie or novel script.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-11-24 12:30:34
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

/reads

it's easy to cast a dark shadow on everything, it sells.
Truer words are seldom said.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-11-24 12:34:55
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Darki said:
I like this title, it sounds passionate. For a movie or novel script.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 12:54:22
Link | Citer | R

95% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-24 13:07:03
Link | Citer | R

I'd have to say I lean towards our species being inherently evil.. The fact that we need laws in place to tell you what is right or wrong, and the fact that we have jails/prisons/probation/fines/etc as punishment when those laws are violated, seems to point towards us being more evil than good, at least at our core. Laws (or more to the point, the punishment they face for breaking said laws) have kept more than one person "in line".. Myself included, for instance, the dude who killed my brother would be dead right now if it wouldn't mean spending my life (or most of it) in prison.

Water has the capacity to be ice, just because it can be ice, doesn't mean it ever stops being water..

I'd wager this is more an opinion thing, rather than a fact though.. Whether you label our species inherently good/evil or neutral with the ability to be good/evil is more or less just how you personally see things, what acts constitute good/evil, whether continuous good/evil acts make you good/evil at your core, how many of those acts need be carried out before it changes from just an action to a judgment of who you truly are inside, etc etc.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 13:13:42
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I'd have to say I lean towards our species being inherently evil.. The fact that we need laws in place to tell you what is right or wrong, and the fact that we have jails/prisons/probation/fines/etc as punishment when those laws are violated, seems to point towards us being more evil than good, at least at our core. Laws (or more to the point, the punishment they face for breaking said laws) have kept more than one person "in line".. Myself included, for instance, the dude who killed my brother would be dead right now if it wouldn't mean spending my life (or most of it) in prison.

Water has the capacity to be ice, just because it can be ice, doesn't mean it ever stops being water..

I'd wager this is more an opinion thing, rather than a fact though.. Whether you label our species inherently good/evil or neutral with the ability to be good/evil is more or less just how you personally see things, what acts constitute good/evil, whether continuous good/evil acts make you good/evil at your core, how many of those acts need be carried out before it changes from just an action to a judgment of who you truly are inside, etc etc.
Water has the capacity to be ice, as well as steam, correct.
That is hinged upon its surroundings and molecular content.(temperature, salt/mineral content effect freezing/evaporation point)
Same can be said about human beings.
We may have a disposition towards making certain actions, doing certain things...but who's to say that cannot be reprogrammed?
You can say something is "evil to the core", but again it's easy to say ***like that simplifying it to something more black and white.
But that's a bit further from the truth :/
You can try to simplify how you perceive things, and we being imperfect beings allows us to do so, as well as perpetuates such things.
It's easier to just say something is good or bad rather than accepting the fact that it's not that simple.
The show Dexter is a good example of that even.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-24 13:15:55
Link | Citer | R

evil cannot exist with out good.
Both live at the same level in everyone, it's the actions we take that make the biggest difference.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 13:22:45
Link | Citer | R

Humans being imperfect and all strive to fill in the gaps of imperfection, that metaphoric "hole" within our hearts represents the difference between our desired reality, and how reality happens to really be.
This "hole" creates Gods,Devils, Heaven, Hell...all for the means for the existence we believe would be in bliss, to become the best person that we perceive ourselves to be.
The human struggle is a large one.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-24 13:23:27
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Humans being imperfect and all strive to fill in the gaps of imperfection, that metaphoric "hole" within our hearts represents the difference between our desired reality, and how reality happens to really be.
This "hole" creates Gods,Devils, Heaven, Hell...all for the means for the existence we believe would be bliss.
The human struggle is a large one.
oh wow agree with this sentiment
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-24 13:23:57
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Water has the capacity to be ice, as well as steam, correct.
That is hinged upon its surroundings and molecular content.(temperature, salt/mineral content effect freezing/evaporation point)
Same can be said about human beings.
We may have a disposition towards making certain actions, doing certain things...but who's to say that cannot be reprogrammed?
You can say something is "evil to the core", but again it's easy to say ***like that simplifying it to something more black and white.
But that's a bit further from the truth :/
In that instance, I'd say we're evil until it's reprogrammed..

We didn't get where we are (evolutionary wise) by being pacifists.. We got where we are by being brutal hunting/killing machines and exploiting pretty much every opportunity we found, that would further our own selves, not as a species, but as individuals/small groups.. Like our ancestors who found it was much easier to drive large animals off a cliff, rather then directly assault them..

We haven't grown out of that mindset from what I've seen, and even though we really don't have to be opportunistic *** anymore, we still are. Unfortunately, the opportunities we exploit now, more often than not, adversely affect others.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-24 13:27:24
Link | Citer | R

Actually we have grown quite a lot as a society in some aspects, if you can't see that you need a lot of reading to see how things were done back then.

Some of the population is creating an open mind set, hence why I say some, because most of it is very unintelligent.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 13:28:17
Link | Citer | R

In that instance, I'd say we're evil until it's reprogrammed..

We didn't get where we are (evolutionary wise) by being pacifists.. We got where we are by being brutal hunting/killing machines and exploiting pretty much every opportunity we found, that would further our own selves, not as a species, but as individuals/small groups.. Like our ancestors who found it was much easier to drive large animals off a cliff, rather then directly assault them..

We haven't grown out of that mindset from what I've seen, and even though we really don't have to be opportunistic *** anymore, we still are. Unfortunately, the opportunities we exploit now, more often than not, adversely affect others.
Who said anything about pacifism?
Killing was done essentially for survival.
It escalated past that due to the contrast between desired reality and actuality.
Does that make people evil?
Not at all.
We do what we feel is most appropriate for the time being...the method that we try to use to further ourselves to this desired reality that we have made up in our heads.
An evil act is only an evil act if it happens to be acknowledged as an evil act, the same can be said about good acts.
Killing a few to save many could be perceived as both an evil and good act.
Where do you think that would fall?
And then inversely, killing many to save a few would be seen as both good and evil as well.
Which is it?
It's both.
Duality fits pretty well for this.
But it's only duality if you happen to label these acts as good or evil.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-24 13:34:34
Link | Citer | R

I'd still argue that is your opinion, and not a fact. As for who said anything about pacifism, I was making a point, that we got where we are by being ruthless, and even though we no longer have a need to be that way for survival, we are.. A large portion (if not the majority) of us will still take advantage of people and opportunities if we perceive a possible gain to come from it (however minor or major it may be).. The fact that you are more likely to see someone just keep walking when someone is having trouble, or just assume someone else will help them and keep going, or just be like "*** them" all together, to me, IMHO illustrates my points and beliefs on the matter.

At any rate, I openly admit this is all IMO.. But it's one that won't change, sure I see people do selfless acts all the time, people put their lives in danger to save someone else, it's far from uncommon.. But it's still not as common as someone attacking/killing another human being, usually for no real good reason.. (believe it or not, not wanting to have to give up half of everything you own to your husband/wife in a divorce is not a reason to put a contract on their head, someone *** your wife/girlfriend behind your back is not a reason to kill the both of them.. Someone tried to rip you off in a drug deal is not a good reason to shoot them.)
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10