First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-22 13:19:41
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
When they actually make less than $14k/year without any assistance, you will have a point.

If a family receives less than $14k in wages, they receive up towards $35k in federal handouts....just federal. Depending on the state, that could increase upwards towards $50k. They get that on top of their wages earned. How would you like to get up to $64k per year doing next to nothing?
Can I please ask for a citation there? I've been through times of hardship and I've known other people who have done as well. $200 a month in food stamps (this was back around the 2008 crash, the benefit has since been reduced or so I'm told) and virtually nothing else is kind of a long way from pulling down $35 grand a year.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Serveur: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-22 13:26:19
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
When they actually make less than $14k/year without any assistance, you will have a point.

If a family receives less than $14k in wages, they receive up towards $35k in federal handouts....just federal. Depending on the state, that could increase upwards towards $50k. They get that on top of their wages earned. How would you like to get up to $64k per year doing next to nothing?
Can I please ask for a citation there? I've been through times of hardship and I've known other people who have done as well. $200 a month in food stamps (this was back around the 2008 crash, the benefit has since been reduced or so I'm told) and virtually nothing else is kind of a long way from pulling down $35 grand a year.

Frankly, when I was making ***I never even thought to apply for assistance. I wish I had. It probably would have helped me get out of that situation faster in the long run, had I been able to swallow my pride and do it.
By Jetackuu 2015-04-22 13:29:42
Link | Citer | R

You can work "Full Time" at 32 hours/week at minimum wage and not net 14k, that's hardly "next to nothing."

Not to mention: bull *** ***.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 13:30:29
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 13:31:53
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Think of it like this... when you have abuddy who is a stay at home dad and the mom is out making all the moola the first thought that seems to come into many peoples minds is not usually a positive one for the man lol...
I could dig that, lol. Taking care of kids all day is easy.
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-04-22 13:33:44
Link | Citer | R

How would you like to get up to $64k per year doing next to nothing?

I would like that very much. where do I send an app?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-22 13:37:01
Link | Citer | R

Walmart greeters and burger flippers jobs are not there to support a family. People who work those positions with the intention of "supporting their families" off of those jobs are doing it just to get on government assistance.
A tangential question arises.

I should point out that I have a lot of family members, myself included, who do work or have worked with the disabled. My brother and I both have a lot of experience working with people who have Downs syndrome and similar permanent intellectual impairments. Pushing a broom, saying hello to customers, or flipping burgers may be literally all that they can do to support themselves.

Is it right that they cannot? I suspect the likely answer I'll get is, "Well, the government ought to be assisting people in those kinds of situations." Should it? Wouldn't that run counter to the whole idea of big government hand-holding us? If someone with trisomy 21 (Downs syndrome) is capable of maintaining a household and job, as many of them are, but simply cannot master the skills necessary to move above the bottom-most rung of labor, what ought to happen? Should we let them sit on the dole all their lives, should we drown them at birth, should we actually let them have an independent and happy life by encouraging employers to pay them adequately for the service they can give?

I won't even get started on all the shitty looks and remarks these people get because they're trying to support themselves.
As I have stated before, I don't mind if Social Security or other government assistance were to help those who are not physically or mentally capable to help themselves. Having a job like a Walmart greeter or burger flipper to help support/supplement to their income, but not live off of it, is ideal, as part of their income can be used to offset whatever additional assistance needed.

I'm all for helping people if they need it, but I'm very against supporting people who chooses not to work so they can receive handouts. The fraud in the welfare system is severely rampant, and nothing is being done because people think with their feels more than their brains, and all any politician would have to say to the brainwashed masses who think with their feels is what you hear on the liberal side anyway.
By fonewear 2015-04-22 13:39:51
Link | Citer | R

If you want to get paid to do next to nothing I heard the Huff Post is hiring for "women" section writers !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-22 13:40:05
Link | Citer | R

hard data on welfare

Research about the amount of money received by welfare recipients
By fonewear 2015-04-22 13:44:56
Link | Citer | R

hard data on welfare

Research about the amount of money received by welfare recipients

Hard data...that's my fetish !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-22 13:45:35
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
You can work "Full Time" at 32 hours/week at minimum wage and not net 14k, that's hardly "next to nothing."
You can do next to nothing at a job flipping burgers and ignoring people at Walmart and make minimum wage. Or are you going to say that those people work harder than, say, a computer programmer does?

I know you didn't see the links I provided, but I'll still accept your apology anyway.

Don't worry, I won't hold my breath. I know you won't admit you are wrong, you never do.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 13:52:50
Link | Citer | R

Is there any way to make a ton of money off of adopting a ton of kids?
By fonewear 2015-04-22 13:53:39
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Is there any way to make a ton of money off of adopting a ton of kids?

Cheat on welfare/food stamps ? Sell them on the black market ! I heard blue eyed babies go for a nice price.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-22 13:59:32
Link | Citer | R

Ok... I hate to be "that guy," but this is an analysis from 1995. I kept wondering why it was referring to AFDC until I checked the publication date.

Now, as someone who has both received (a very small amount of) federal assistance and who is familiar with many people who have, merely saying that someone can get X is not the same as saying they will get X.

For instance, to qualify for section 8 housing as a single male with no attached dependents, apply a gun to your temple and pull the trigger because you NEVER WILL. And it's not like living in a section 8 project is fun or enviable. I did some work on "low income" housing that was being provided free-of-charge by the government for Somali refugees. They *** the property over completely. The renovations I was doing, though, made the apartments so nice that I seriously considered asking the front office how little money I would need to make to qualify to move in. I haven't been back there in a year, but I'm certain they've been trashed. Again.

Utilities assistance is another one. A friend, whose word I'm going to trust, attempted to get out of a jam with that. The organization in charge of providing assistance said it'd be an 8-week wait just to get an appointment unless he lined up at 4 AM to try to get emergency help. He lined up, got inside, and was rejected because he couldn't provide proof that he wasn't working that very day. I don't mean that he couldn't produce paystubs, I mean that they claimed they couldn't help him because there was no written-down proof that he was standing in front of them instead of out on the job.

Food stamps, as I alluded, are neither enough to fully feed those who get them nor a particularly large benefit in the first place.

I will grant that Medicaid, especially under the many state-approved eligibility extensions under ACA, is probably accounting for a lot of those monies. Having health insurance is a really big deal, but it seems a little dubious to notch that under "income" when a person working for ***money, especially prior to ACA, simply would not have had health insurance anyhow.

TANF is the one program I really don't know much about. Does WIC fall under that umbrella? Not sure.

The fraud in the welfare system is severely rampant
Again, and I'm genuinely not doing this to pick on you, but do you have a citation? I have friends and colleagues who literally work for the agencies that administrate welfare and they tell me that welfare fraud is quite rare. I want to look at facts to see who is right.
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:00:53
Link | Citer | R

I'll counter all this hard data with soft speculation !
By Jetackuu 2015-04-22 14:01:05
Link | Citer | R

You can do next to nothing at a job flipping burgers and ignoring people at Walmart and make minimum wage. Or are you going to say that those people work harder than, say, a computer programmer does?

I know you didn't see the links I provided, but I'll still accept your apology anyway.

Don't worry, I won't hold my breath. I know you won't admit you are wrong, you never do.

Yes, people who work fast food and retail on average work much harder than any programmer I've ever met. (Speaking of, Chaos: how hard do you work?)

I don't really want to hear this nonsense from a trust fund brat, and your links mean diddly when it comes to the real world.

So again: bull *** ***.

But you go ahead and continue looking down on people, it's what your and your ilk are good at.

edit: Also; I admit I'm wrong when I am actually wrong, yet it rarely happens.
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:02:34
Link | Citer | R

I've programmed computers and it was hell. Actually hell would be more enjoyable !
By Jetackuu 2015-04-22 14:04:07
Link | Citer | R

Fone, you hare the hardest worker of them all.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:06:52
Link | Citer | R

Isn't that what it's all about a hard day of work ! Be it garbage man mailman or some other work that ends in man !
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-22 14:07:13
Link | Citer | R

False syllogism.

Both the computer programmer and the fast food cook are working very hard. The computer programer is using a more complex skillset that took much longer to learn, but anyone who has endured working in a restaurant kitchen during the lunch rush knows damned well that fast food is not "next to nothing" in terms of work.

Maybe the cashier gets to sit on his/her heels at McDonald's. I must assume that's the job you had, since you imagine fast food is effortless?

I've worked in a few restaurants, always front of house. I would greet and seat people, check them out, bus tables, assist servers, and basically do anything else that needed to be done. I was on my feet for 8+ hours, often didn't get a break unless I was about to pass out from dehydration or piss my pants, and regularly got stuck working Friday midnight and the Sunday rush in the same weekend. And you literally couldn't pay me less than $15/hour to go back and do that ***again. Oh, and I was pure hourly, didn't even get a cut of the tips, so I was barely making over minimum wage. I am honestly convinced that I do less work now, even on days when I'm acting like a glorified burro, working in construction.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-22 14:07:20
Link | Citer | R

Lies!

This aggression will not stand, man.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-22 14:09:28
Link | Citer | R

Ok... I hate to be "that guy," but this is an analysis from 1995. I kept wondering why it was referring to AFDC until I checked the publication date.
You are correct, I was looking at both studies and posted the wrong one.

Here you go

I looked at the 1995 study to see if there were any major differences between the methodology of reporting the data, and I couldn't find any that stood out.

Again, and I'm genuinely not doing this to pick on you, but do you have a citation? I have friends and colleagues who literally work for the agencies that administrate welfare and they tell me that welfare fraud is quite rare. I want to look at facts to see who is right.
I cannot seem to find an article that's not overly biased in it's reporting, nor the published journals I have read is available without a subscription. So, I cannot give you a source, sorry.
By Jetackuu 2015-04-22 14:09:56
Link | Citer | R

On another note: I find it funny how the middle class and working class is tricked into hating on the other people who are getting *** over by the same wealthy elites as the poor.

Quote:
There's 12 cookies on a plate, and a CEO, middle-class worker and poor person are sitting around the table. The CEO takes 11 cookies and tells the middle-class person that the poor person is going to eat his cookie.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-04-22 14:11:37
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »

Lies!

This aggression will not stand, man.
Calm down Ramy, nobody wants to go on a mustache ride.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 14:11:47
Link | Citer | R

Chaos: how hard do you work?
Right now I'm still in retirement. But I'm being poached to do writing for China students.
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:12:38
Link | Citer | R

You traitor how dare you support those commie *** !
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-22 14:13:13
Link | Citer | R

Calm down Ramy, nobody wants to go on a mustache ride.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-22 14:13:19
Link | Citer | R

Both the computer programmer and the fast food cook are working very hard. The computer programer is using a more complex skillset that took much longer to learn, but anyone who has endured working in a restaurant kitchen during the lunch rush knows damned well that fast food is not "next to nothing" in terms of work.
You should tell Jet that, apparently he thinks that a computer programmer is next to worthless.
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:14:34
Link | Citer | R

I wouldn't say programmers are worthless just they look like this:

[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-04-22 14:15:23
Link | Citer | R

You should tell Jet that, apparently he thinks that a computer programmer is next to worthless.
holy hyperbole Batman!
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13