Making gil on the AH
First Page 2 3
 Bismarck.Chasuro
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 11:34:07
Link | Citer | R

I'm trying to think of the best way to explain this. Please help me out. Let me explain a few points first:

I am from Seraph yes, this happened a little on Seraph but not to this extent. Someone may say this is typical capitalism supply & demand. I call bs. This is impatience and greed.

What is with the constant undercutting? Don't you care that you are driving the price down cobnsiderably? It seems like if something sells moderately well people will start undercutting it.

For instance, I am working on fishing and enjoy the skillups and gil I get/got from Nebimonites. Less than a month ago they were 12k a stack. Then someone sold a bunch for 11k, then 10k, then 9k, then 8k now they are 7k a stack. This only took about a week or two.

Why do you do this? Impatience? People were buying them for 12k a stack! Why would you want to lose 5k a stack?

This starts with YOU and can end with you. Do you want to see the items you enjoy farming for gil turn to ***prices so you have to find something else to sell? Don't you want to continue farming your fave items and selling them for decent prices?

Someone help me out here and explain my point better please.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-04-17 11:45:32
Link | Citer | R

Its called supply and demand.

It happens all the time.

Deal with it.
[+]
By Angeleus 2010-04-17 11:47:06
Link | Citer | R

It's lordcanti mules... LOL

Siren.Clinpachi
Serveur: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-04-17 11:49:32
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
I'm trying to think of the best way to explain this. Please help me out. Let me explain a few points first:

I am from Seraph yes, this happened a little on Seraph but not to this extent. Someone may say this is typical capitalism supply & demand. I call bs. This is impatience and greed.

What is with the constant undercutting? Don't you care that you are driving the price down cobnsiderably? It seems like if something sells moderately well people will start undercutting it.

For instance, I am working on fishing and enjoy the skillups and gil I get/got from Nebimonites. Less than a month ago they were 12k a stack. Then someone sold a bunch for 11k, then 10k, then 9k, then 8k now they are 7k a stack. This only took about a week or two.

Why do you do this? Impatience? People were buying them for 12k a stack! Why would you want to lose 5k a stack?

This starts with YOU and can end with you. Do you want to see the items you enjoy farming for gil turn to ***prices so you have to find something else to sell? Don't you want to continue farming your fave items and selling them for decent prices?

Someone help me out here and explain my point better please.

In short, if i have something of value and i want to go shopping, but i look and there's 8 of the item i have. Of course i'm going to undercut you and the other 7 people.

It's my money and i need it now~!

[+]
 Bismarck.Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 11:52:43
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Sagittario said:

It happens all the time.

Deal with it.

***. You consciously choose to undercut the price thus dropping it and so the next person wants to undercut you. Why? So theirs sell faster than yours. All you have to do is have patience. People are happily buying the item at 12k a stack. Why do you have to drop it 5k a stack? PEOPLE WILL BUY THE ITEM FOR 12K! Stop dropping the price!

Angeleus, you just negated any issue you had with Lordwhoever. You made yourself look like the douche you are trying to paint him as. Please don't turn this topic into a flame thread.
[+]
 Bismarck.Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 11:53:39
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Clinpachi said:

In short, if i have something of value and i want to go shopping, but i look and there's 8 of the item i have. Of course i'm going to undercut you and the other 7 people.

Yes I explained this approach as impatience and greed.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Andras
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-04-17 11:58:04
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:

It happens all the time.

Deal with it.

***. You consciously choose to undercut the price thus dropping it and so the next person wants to undercut you. Why? So theirs sell faster than yours. All you have to do is have patience. People are happily buying the item at 12k a stack. Why do you have to drop it 5k a stack? PEOPLE WILL BUY THE ITEM FOR 12K! Stop dropping the price!

Angeleus, you just negated any issue you had with Lordwhoever. You made yourself look like the douche you are trying to paint him as. Please don't turn this topic into a flame thread.

If there is a huge amount of something on the AH in a short period of time and people don't want as many the prices will drop because people will want to sell them.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Serveur: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-04-17 12:00:38
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:

Yes I explained this approach as impatience and greed.
Oh is it? I thought i saw something in my marketing class called supply and demand.

My bad man didn't mean to hurt you're feelings.
[+]
By Guenhwyvar 2010-04-17 12:13:35
Link | Citer | R

Who says you have to sell all your Nebs now? I used to put them on a mule til they went back up (they always do). Keep in mind too that drastic economy changes usually start with the small stuff, think of it as a blessing.

If you're crafting at all to make money, you also have to know WHEN to sell, not just how to make it. Dont be stupid and sell 7 stacks on 5 different mules at once, its almost like you are encouraging undercutting that way.
 Bismarck.Arminius
user: Raef
By Bismarck.Arminius 2010-04-17 12:24:11
Link | Citer | R

A truly patient person might view 5k stacks as an opportunity. You could make 100%+ profit when you see those stacks pop up on the AH if you were to buy them and wait until the price goes back up.

I bet you consider that approach BS too.
 Asura.Korpg
Serveur: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-04-17 12:29:52
Link | Citer | R

I guess nobody here are accountants.

Here is simple capitalism at its best:

Sales
-COGS (think of this as AH Tax)
------
Gross Profit

-Operating Expenses (thats how much it costs you to actually get the items, if its fishing or crafting)
-------
Net Income

As long as you don't spend all your gil on operating expenses, any/everything is net income.

If it costs you 0 gil to get a stack of wind crystals, and you want to sell them for 500 gil, and AH tax costs 414 gil, you still make a net income of 86 gil. Now do it 100 times, and you get a net income of 8600 gil.

See what's happening here? Thats basic Accounting.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 12:32:00
Link | Citer | R

Wow hey, I'm just discussing this. You guys aren't hurting my feelings or pissing me off.

Yes Arminius, that is a good perspective.

I used nebimonites as an example. This is happening with all product. It will sell fine and then someoen will drop 10 items on the AH for 1k less which starts the price slide.

The point of this topic was to encourage people to not drop the prices so drastically! People are happy buying the items at the previous price. Why lose out?
 Shiva.Gylfie
Serveur: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2010-04-17 12:33:47
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
Wow hey, I'm just discussing this. You guys aren't hurting my feelings or pissing me off.

Yes Arminius, that is a good perspective.

I used nebimonites as an example. This is happening with all product. It will sell fine and then someoen will drop 10 items on the AH for 1k less which starts the price slide.

The point of this topic was to encourage people to not drop the prices so drastically! People are happy buying the items at the previous price. Why lose out?
Because yours will sell before theirs, and they don't want that.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-04-17 12:42:15
Link | Citer | R

This thread again?
[+]
By Angeleus 2010-04-17 12:51:39
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:

Umm.. Issues? You know what Sarcasms means right?

Also, please be cautious on who you quoting and make a better statement when you're going to quote someone.
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-04-17 12:53:20
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:
This thread again?
 Unicorn.Ducea
Serveur: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Ducea 2010-04-17 12:56:44
Link | Citer | R

like i said last time this was brought up. probably a week ago. wait it out or stop crying please
[+]
 Bismarck.Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 13:24:17
Link | Citer | R

It's a discussion about different AH strategies. This isn't something that will diminish over time unless we talk about it and change our ways of thinking. I;ve just noticed on this server that it is way more prevalent than my old server.

I'm not sure if this has to do with more people so more competition, or just different styles of players on Bismarck.
 Alexander.Tarantino
Serveur: Alexander
user: Tarantino
By Alexander.Tarantino 2010-04-17 13:51:48
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
I'm not sure if this has to do with more people so more competition, or just different styles of players on Bismarck.

Let me ask you this; Do you bid under the current AH price on goods when you buy them?

If so, you're encouraging the very thing you're so against, ie undercutting.

If not... then, well you're wasting gil you could be saving, helping in a roundabout way to make up for the money lost from the reduction in price of Nebimonites :P

Funny.
[+]
 Asura.Cyssero
Serveur: Asura
user: Miliani85
By Asura.Cyssero 2010-04-17 13:59:19
Link | Citer | R

If their is 10 stacks up, and you check that only 5 sell a day, do you still put them up? It was mentioned earlier, but who says you have to sell them now? You could easily wait it out until the price goes back to what you feel is reasonable. If you think the people who undercut are inpatient, so are you for still putting up stock on an already flooded market.
[+]
 Shiva.Lorielain
Serveur: Shiva
user: Atrithk
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-04-17 14:00:39
Link | Citer | R

It's all a cycle for some items; once they are hardly worth fishing, the supply will dwindle and demand will go back up, causing the price to rise.
Then the undercutting begins again.
 Bismarck.Dreakon
user: Dreakon
By Bismarck.Dreakon 2010-04-17 14:16:08
Link | Citer | R

High supply + Low demand = low prices
Low supply + high demand = high price
low supply + low demand = moderate price
high supply + high demand = moderate price

This is true, if you want to accept it or not, that's your choice. But that's how it works. It has nothing to do with people maliciously trying to screw you over. Or people being greedy, or impatient. It's just how a free market works.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 14:21:55
Link | Citer | R

Yeah you all have valid points. And yeah I guess I'm being impatient. I'm sitting at 130k gil and need to make some money.

Yes I guess it truly is supply and demand but people are consciously choosing to undercut. How about lesser increments? If something is selling at 10k and there are 50 on the AH, drop it to 9,995 or something. Your's will sell faster than the people who are selling it at 10k but won't kill the price.

You see, the hope was for a discussion to make the undercutting not so server.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-04-17 14:25:11
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Its called supply and demand. It happens all the time. Deal with it.
***. You consciously choose to undercut the price thus dropping it and so the next person wants to undercut you. Why? So theirs sell faster than yours. All you have to do is have patience. People are happily buying the item at 12k a stack. Why do you have to drop it 5k a stack? PEOPLE WILL BUY THE ITEM FOR 12K! Stop dropping the price! Angeleus, you just negated any issue you had with Lordwhoever. You made yourself look like the douche you are trying to paint him as. Please don't turn this topic into a flame thread.

Do you need me to explain every word for you? If there is a high supply and a low demand people sell things cheaper...
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-04-17 14:26:43
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Umm.. Issues? You know what Sarcasms means right? Also, please be cautious on who you quoting and make a better statement when you're going to quote someone.

o.o; wtf I never said that.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-04-17 14:30:20
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Clinpachi said:

Ahem.

Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-04-17 14:33:17
Link | Citer | R

Undercutting QQ was fresh back in 04
[+]
 Bismarck.Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-17 14:35:29
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Bismarck.Chasuro said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Umm.. Issues? You know what Sarcasms means right? Also, please be cautious on who you quoting and make a better statement when you're going to quote someone.

o.o; wtf I never said that.

Yeah and I never said that ...
Midgardsormr.Frobeus said:
Undercutting QQ was fresh back in 04

So bend over and deal with it? I hope for positive evolution in all things which we can achieve through positive discourse.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-04-17 14:40:29
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
It's a discussion about different AH strategies. This isn't something that will diminish over time unless we talk about it and change our ways of thinking. I;ve just noticed on this server that it is way more prevalent than my old server.

You do realize that pushing down the price to force other sellers out of the market is also a strategy right?

You do realize that many people simply don't care if they get paid less than they could have gotten if they waited. Maybe they need space and are trying to unload items asap, and anything they get above npc price is acceptable.

You need to understand that NO ONE cares about your ability to make gil.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2010-04-17 14:42:31
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chasuro said:
So bend over and deal with it? I hope for positive evolution in all things which we can achieve through positive discourse.

No, what you are hoping for is more gil for you.

"Positive Evolution" is an opinion. I personally would much rather have low prices and quite enjoy when things I have to buy have been undercut significantly.
First Page 2 3