Unsolved Mysteries of Vana'diel
 Asura.Nalfey
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Nalf
By Asura.Nalfey 2024-10-18 17:24:32
Link | Citer | R

Homsar said: »
I'm drawing blanks as to specifics right now, but there are spots in a lot of zones that seem like they should be special locations(based off their unique design comparative to the rest of the zone) that ultimately are just...there. I always wondered what SE intended to do with some of these spots.

"there are things, somewhere, which are useless but could be useful"

{Accuracy Bonus} {Do you need it ?}
 Valefor.Starscreamx
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Starscreamx 2024-10-18 23:41:20
Link | Citer | R

How to properly defeat Absolute Virtue back in the day
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2024-10-19 00:33:56
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
What would be the result of a cross breed between hume and mithra?

Miqo'te
By Moonlightagb 2024-10-19 00:53:10
Link | Citer | R

I would like to know the mystery of why nobody taught Ruspix any units of time other than seconds when he was growing up
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-10-19 03:35:23
Link | Citer | R

Glad I'm not the only one. Sure it's basic math, but no one thinks in terms of thousands of seconds.
By Dodik 2024-10-19 04:56:24
Link | Citer | R

That one's easy.

Programmer: "We need to show time remaining and our delta is in seconds from last entry time.

We could convert to hours:minutes but that means doing maths and dividing by 60. Oh and handle fractions.

Ah frak it just show seconds, it'll be fine.
"

There you have it.
By Pantafernando 2024-10-19 05:17:04
Link | Citer | R

Talking about goblins, thats a sure unsolved mysteries that those recent endgames even try to draft some lore, but ends up with the devs saying "screw it", and just leave the players do content for gear sake, and not for the lore objective of said content.

For example, Omen: goblin says something about the Scintilanting Rapsody and the Phoenix Feather. But we clear Omen and his lore never progresses.

What about the Delve, Vagary, Sortie's lore? All of them are just some damn mystery that we are teleported to some alternative dimension to fight the other world version of Naakuals and the demons. For no (lore) reason? Are we that vain that we disrupt other worlds only to earn items?

Also about unsolved mystery, maybe I could be missing it, but I remember two plots I never saw being picked up again. I already dont remember them as clearly, but I feel like in cliffhanger with THF artifact qusts plot and that Adoulin quests with that Ahriman.

Those are also unsolved mystery that I wanted the continuation of those stories, but afaik, I dont know.
By Pantafernando 2024-10-19 05:22:57
Link | Citer | R

In comparison, endgames like old Abyssea and VW were way more carefully crafted, with extensive grinding yes, but an interesting story.

I personally like Abyssea lore a damn lot. I never felt the same about being teleported to the future where the world is a decay, struggling to survive.

Its such a masterful atmosphere of cyberpunk, that I never saw something similar, of living in a (normal) world, then switching to cyberpunk one.
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-10-19 08:54:47
Link | Citer | R

Vana'Diel has a moon but no sun? Must be going senile, really can't remember if it does or not.
 Ragnarok.Creaucent
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Creaucent
By Ragnarok.Creaucent 2024-10-19 10:38:44
Link | Citer | R

Kaffy said: »
Vana'Diel has a moon but no sun? Must be going senile, really can't remember if it does or not.

No it has a sun.
By Lythturia 2024-10-19 10:55:44
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »

Also about unsolved mystery, maybe I could be missing it, but I remember two plots I never saw being picked up again. I already dont remember them as clearly, but I feel like in cliffhanger with THF artifact qusts plot and that Adoulin quests with that Ahriman.

Those are also unsolved mystery that I wanted the continuation of those stories, but afaik, I dont know.

That knight armor I believe gets wonderful use in CoP mission cutscenes by Fake Louverance. Ah, that tasteful orange checkerboard.

Either way, it's heavily implied or outright stated in the THF af quest they'd be using the cache of knights gear to retake tavnazia.

One other point - I can't remember if it's speculation or was further implied by some other text, but from items: goblins need the apparatus/helmets they wear to breath - as such I always filed them under off-world imports, possibly from one of the many rifts they often sell ways into.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-10-19 13:05:00
Link | Citer | R

Maybe those are mysteries only because i didnt pay attention, but anyway

How Shadowlord from WotG was defeated?

What happened to that boy’s sister from the BST quests in the end?

Why Morimar lived for so long, if hes a human?
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-10-21 21:27:32
Link | Citer | R

Why do so many lizards have T. Rex arms? I legit feel bad for them.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-21 21:43:05
Link | Citer | R

fractalvoid said: »
I was running a mule thru Quicksands for missions and noticed (possibly due to DAT pack?) there hieroglyphics seemingly made by the Galka in the basement that were fairly detailed - just curious if these have any significance or were ever referenced? (in TVR I guess?)

Trying to think of other random lore stuff that I will question from time to time...
The Quicksand Caves are the Galka's ancestral homeland, containing the ruined temples that they built on top of and around older Zilartian structures that sunk into the sands of Altepa.

The murals depict their struggles with the Antica, and some of the statues you can find in the Quicksand Caves are of the Talekeeper, so those murals are kind of like Galkan attempts at record keeping without the memory of the Talekeeper and without writing, I guess.

If you actually look at them long enough, the mural just loops over and over again. It's also the same mural every time you find it, it just starts in different places on different walls.

Makes me remember a fun fact you may or may not remember, but the Galka were eventually forced to flee Altepa entirely or be slaughtered to the last by the Antica. They fled by way of Korroloka Tunnel, which is why they inhabit Bastok primarily in the current age. A lot of them were wounded while fleeing and died in the tunnel, and the corals there that are red are corals that fed off their blood!

One mystery I've always wanted to know is there's that Galka in Windurst fishing guild that says, "I have to get home to my wife!" Who is his wife?!
[+]
By fractalvoid 2024-10-21 22:51:39
Link | Citer | R

What about the Delve, Vagary, Sortie's lore? All of them are just some damn mystery that we are teleported to some alternative dimension to fight the other world version of Naakuals and the demons. For no (lore) reason? Are we that vain that we disrupt other worlds only to earn items?

I'm really curious about incursion and the lore with the Velkk that levels the instance up for us, as well.

Sortie to me seems like an alternative/parallel to the Adoulin plotline; one where Dhokmakk (Dhartok), Ashrakk (Gartell), Hades(Aminon), and Balamor (Triboulex) have actually risen more to power.

Delve could either be Balamor ***, or another alternative/parallel where the Naakauls are aggressive

Why Morimar lived for so long, if hes a human?

This is also a good question. I'm not sure if swearing loyalty to King Adoulin, or his ventures into Ra Kaznar have something to do with this, but it's also worth noting he WAS briefly killed, but revived shortly after
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-21 23:51:03
Link | Citer | R

Re: Morimar's immorality

The World Tree is an ancient concept that transcends culture, and in many cultures, if one eats fruit or drinks water that has passed through The World Tree, then that person obtains immortality or eternal youth.

World Trees are "axis mundi" aka a nexus or bridge between the higher and lower planes (Heaven and Earth or the After Life and Life).

August and his retinue had already found the World Tree of Rhazowa, and they even brought its sapling to Adoulin, to Ulbuka. They very likely ate of its fruit and were all ageless immortals.

Recall the Dragon Warrior/Quest series. Starting in the second game you can find the World Tree and obtain a "World Tree Leaf." This is the game's one revival item, and it is present in almost every entry after, able to bring the dead back to life by having them consume the leaf.

Same, old, idea.

Though I prefer the joke that Morimar was just following orders. August told him to live, and good soldiers follow orders!
[+]
By fractalvoid 2024-10-22 00:57:45
Link | Citer | R

is it ever explained (or even aknowledged) why the delve npcs are all mannequins?
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-22 01:14:44
Link | Citer | R

fractalvoid said: »
is it ever explained (or even aknowledged) why the delve npcs are all mannequins?
Well the Skirmishes and Alluvion Skirmishes are accessed by fitting together the Visage Simulacrum which, if you notice, are basically statuesque mannequins.

Something about how the alternate planes of reality ebb and flow all around Adoulin like that, and fake bodies like that being able to be used to access those planes.

Basically, they're just otherworldly entities in the only disguise they can wear. That's my take, anyway.
[+]
By fractalvoid 2024-10-22 01:26:30
Link | Citer | R

so i guess delve is Balamor *** then? since Skirmish is definitely his doing as well
By Tarage 2024-10-22 03:37:39
Link | Citer | R

On that note, what the hell is Balamor using bayld for? If you ask for some back he seems to imply that it has some hidden use. Add to that the odd alternate universe Arciela who seems to have forged some kind of summoning pact with the Naakuals...

Edit: Do we have any Japanese players who can comment? I gotta wonder how many of these mysteries are bad translations...
By Pantafernando 2024-10-22 03:53:32
Link | Citer | R

Tarage said: »
what the hell is Balamor using bayld for?

Before answering this question, we would need to take a step back and ask what even is bayld.

Despite being given in coalitions, probably that income is from trades and not production.

Looking back for derivative forms of bayld for clues, its fruitless, HP Bayld and Bayld Crystal dont tell what bayld is, only describe how they are.

Bayld is "generated" from enemies defeating, either in the wild, or primarily by damaging foes/structures in reives.

So in the end, bayld could be some derived byproduct of enemy/natural objects "blood" or "life force".

And obviously bad guys could use that because, well... they always do!
[+]
By LightningHelix 2024-10-22 13:33:53
Link | Citer | R

bayld is just palette swapped cruor change my mind
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2024-10-22 13:39:10
Link | Citer | R

two words...

Ebon Panels
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2024-10-22 14:03:42
Link | Citer | R

LightningHelix said: »
bayld is just palette swapped cruor change my mind
It's magical dirt.

Adoulin and Ulbuka sit on a World Tree interstice that's further linked to Tartarus through Rakaznar.

The creatures of the jungle and the very land itself has taken on special properties due to this.

Bayld is the dirt that has taken on valuable magical properties due to this.

Ionis's symbol is a yellow crystal. An Earth Crystal.

Cruor, on the other hand, is a real word. It means, "coagulated blood."

We know from HP Bayld, that Bayld crumbles easily. It's almost like loose clay or sand. Definitely not blood.

Something about the way the world's almost ending causes the blood of monsters to coagulate, and the Abysseans figured out a way to use it to augment one's abilities. Basically Abyssea is Bloodborne before Bloodborne came out.
[+]