First Page 2 3 ... 200 201 202 ... 242 243 244
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-16 06:59:53
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Jokes said: »
Surely based on the existing complaints from the JP community they wouldn't limit the access like this. Or maybe they would /troll.

Bold of you to think they'd give a ***. Sortie basement bosses are pretty limiting on possible job combos too. Their design philosophy now seems to be to herd us into curated party compositions and intentionally throttle accessibility. On one hand it allows tighter tolerances on monster difficulty. On the other hand it's anathema to the core philosophy of the job system. They probably no longer have the time to even try to have both.

One could also argue, I suppose, that the flexibility of the job system is what enables them to have NMs that require certain jobs to take down since you don't have to make a whole new character or something in order to execute different strategies. Swings and roundabouts.
 Asura.Jokes
Serveur: Asura
user: JLB1
By Asura.Jokes 2022-12-16 07:20:21
Link | Citer | R

I’d love to see a video of the devs clearing the bosses in pre-release tests, if they even did…
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-12-16 07:38:03
Link | Citer | R

Not to white knight for SE or anything but like...do all these cynics think that all content released in the last 20 years has been able to be cleared by complete coincidence and luck?

I mean, AV and PW are possibly exceptions, imho, but every other boss and piece of content ever released in the history of the game has been killable, including all the most recent content they created. Yet still there are people who espouse the idea that SE does no testing, validation, or game design when they create this content.

Do you all think they're just THAT lucky, or what?
 Asura.Jokes
user: JLB1
By Asura.Jokes 2022-12-16 07:46:15
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Not to white knight for SE or anything but like...do all these cynics think that all content released in the last 20 years has been able to be cleared by complete coincidence and luck?

I mean, AV and PW are possibly exceptions, imho, but every other boss and piece of content ever released in the history of the game has been killable, including all the most recent content they created. Yet still there are people who espouse the idea that SE does no testing, validation, or game design when they create this content.

I think they tested it and I'd love to know what setup and tactics they planned. For V25 but also for V15/V20, and if it was different to the ways we actually cleared the content (which i'm guessing it is).
 Bahamut.Belkin
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2022-12-16 07:47:19
Link | Citer | R

I think they tested it and I'd love to know what setup and tactics they planned. For V25 but also for V15/V20, and if it was different to the ways we actually cleared the content (which i'm guessing it is).

I mostly certainly wish to see the video of the devs doing Mboze and Bumba on V25. I am not insinuating that they couldn't do it, but I want to see what the intended methods were.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-16 07:52:59
Link | Citer | R

They didn't test squat, they observed how we were fighting them then looked to see what Giant *** Wrenches they could throw in to make it more "challenging". Then released it to us with the understanding that if things didn't work out as planned, they could just dial it back in six to twelve months.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-12-16 08:00:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
They didn't test squat, they observed how we were fighting them then looked to see what Giant *** Wrenches they could throw in to make it more "challenging". Then released it to us with the understanding that if things didn't work out as planned, they could just dial it back in six to twelve months.

Interesting theory. Could you give some examples of content which was released, nobody cleared it for 6-12 months, and then SE released a patch to change the content so that people could clear it for the first time?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-16 08:05:41
Link | Citer | R

We know that they at least had an idea of how they wanted us to clear odyssey fights since they said that our method of killing mboze didn't align with their intentions. So at the very least there is deliberate design and tuning being done.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-12-16 08:37:12
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
We know that they at least had an idea of how they wanted us to clear odyssey fights since they said that our method of killing mboze didn't align with their intentions. So at the very least there is deliberate design and tuning being done.

Where did they say that? I must have missed it, because during the AMA the question was asked about whether or not the strategies used in Ody aligned with expectations, their response was that they did. I believe you are right when you say that the strat we used didn't line up, but I'm just curious where they said it.

The AMA answer was a surprising response, though, specifically because of Mboze. I have a hard time believing they considered a non-ilvl BST pets TP drain move as the predominant strategy there, but I also don't know what they expected people to do when you throw an AoE death move that the mob uses at the end of a fight and give it a ton of magic resistance. It either tells me there is a mechanic we're missing or it is yet another disconnect between what they think people will do and what we will. This one in particular I would love to see the devs fight with the intended strat.

I feel like with Bumba they are using moves like Rampart and Valiance to resist Denounce, then using what little time it buys you to proc.

It's also somewhat possible they expected people to do multiple KI runs at earlier levels, but I don't see how that would solve Mboze who can one shot the whole party at 1k TP below 25%

Interesting theory. Could you give some examples of content which was released, nobody cleared it for 6-12 months, and then SE released a patch to change the content so that people could clear it for the first time?

pandamonium warden got nerfed, I think another ToAU boss did also IIRC? To be fair though, they got a lot of negative press over that one because of people getting physically ill after fighting it for 12+ hours
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-16 08:40:36
Link | Citer | R

Idr where they said it, I don't think it was in the AMA. They were surprised by the strat we were using at the time and claimed it wasn't how they thought we'd fight it, and people were asking how they did intend for us to fight it (was a lot of confusion since I believe we already had the tp denial and pld/water ele strats). That's all I remember. Could've been a freshly picked or an interview or something, no idea.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Bepe
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2022-12-16 08:44:48
Link | Citer | R

We tried Gigelorium V25 last night with WHM RDM BRD PLD WAR MNK. Now I'm thinking it was a bit overkill with WHM RDM and PLD. We got it to 50%, making good time, but we had slept the add on top of the boss. When the add woke up, gigelorium did tail thwack and the add followed up immediately with an AoE spin, in a 1, 2, Wombo combo that dropped both DDs! We learned our lesson!

I am also glad to hear there is a regen hp lock. Might have to do a B team for gige.

Side Note: Master level sub jobs abilities keep throwing me off when I make parties. I'm so used to nice and relaxed Sortie now, when I go to Odyssey and think "Oh the RDM can just use Curaga III, we don't need a WHM!" then I remember about the sub job lock and my soul is crushed.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-16 08:51:25
Link | Citer | R

PUP + SMN combo is still my fave for gige. Maybe use PLD for team a pup smn for the kill if you can't swing it in 1 lockout
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-16 08:52:51
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Belkin said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Did a B-team Gigelorum chip run earlier where we took it to 74% then basically played footsies with the add for the remaining 12~ minutes (we did not kill the add).

What setup did you use for B team? I was thinking RUN/SCH/GEO/DNC/BLU/something (SMN? BST?) but I was wondering how effective that team would be at milking boss from 100% to 74% but if you are saying you had a B team get him to 74% in like 3 minutes, you could definitely get him to the 49% threshold to lock that in whilst still ignoring the first add.

Then heck, you could use Phone 2 real party to even kill the first add if you were so inclined and still have enough time to kill the boss from 50%. Or you could simply continue to ignore both adds.

I'm really glad you mentioned HP threshold lock, seems like that will come in handy.

B team was - RUN COR DRK DNC BST WHM. On a subsequent run, we swapped DNC out for BLU, just because of the job comp and we wanted to test some things out.
DRK was using Club and doing the majority of the damage with Judgement
BST applied Purulent Ooze and Corrosive Ooze at start, and used Beast Killer Instinct prior to fighting. Switched back to Raaz and used Sweeping Gouge. Ready moves are not walled
DNC used steps, Haste Samba (didn't have Ambu H2H at the time, so he just tanked the add and healed the group with Waltzes where necessary).
PUP or SMN would have been immensely useful here, as robot could tank the add entirely without ever breaking normal routine on main boss and SMN can do Blood Pacts, which are not walled from WS either. Plus apply buffs, favors, etc. BLU definitely has play here, can heal, enfeeble if Ooze is down or not getting reapplied, Mighty Guard. The Ambuscade H2H would have been helpful on DNC as well.

We simply used what we had available in the group.

Longer context below
-
-
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-16 08:57:13
Link | Citer | R

Idr where they said it, I don't think it was in the AMA. They were surprised by the strat we were using at the time and claimed it wasn't how they thought we'd fight it, and people were asking how they did intend for us to fight it (was a lot of confusion since I believe we already had the tp denial and pld/water ele strats). That's all I remember. Could've been a freshly picked or an interview or something, no idea.

It may not have been as it sounded, but I did take it the same way you did. It could, however, have been interpreted as "Oh, that's creative, didn't see players doing that to beat the boss. We thought people would do it THIS way". I assume they wanted people to use BST, SMN, and DRG pets to have extra bodies in range to eat Tiiimbeeer damage. In either case, SE definitely adjusted a lot of mechanics in V25 that were not present in the lower tiers, so they clearly felt the need to throw as many obstacles in the way to deter strategies that they didn't properly think through as being an effective clear method.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-16 08:58:30
Link | Citer | R

Well if it's possible for it to actually not regen it's HP between fights like before, then I can see using weaker teams to work it's HP down then a final push with the strongest DD's to kill. Depending on how much HP the adds have, this might be a better idea then trying to kill the first, though that massive regen + 10s WS Wall still becomes an issue.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-16 08:59:03
Link | Citer | R

PUP or SMN would have been immensely useful here, as robot could tank the add entirely without ever breaking normal routine on main boss and SMN can do Blood Pacts, which are not walled from WS either. Plus apply buffs, favors, etc.

Yeah. To expand on my previous post, both smn and pup working together makes this nm so much easier. The puppet doesn't care about zombie or dispel, and this is one of those fights where Pacifying Ruby is busted. A 20s BP smn can ensure that the boss never breaks off of the auto. Doesn't help for the adds of course, but nullifying the main boss still has perks.
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2022-12-16 08:59:49
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the reply Buukki!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-16 09:04:32
Link | Citer | R

PUP or SMN would have been immensely useful here, as robot could tank the add entirely without ever breaking normal routine on main boss and SMN can do Blood Pacts, which are not walled from WS either. Plus apply buffs, favors, etc.

Yeah. To expand on my previous post, both smn and pup working together makes this nm so much easier. The puppet doesn't care about zombie or dispel, and this is one of those fights where Pacifying Ruby is busted. A 20s BP smn can ensure that the boss never breaks off of the auto. Doesn't help for the adds of course, but nullifying the main boss still has perks.

Yeah, I have underestimated gearing my PUP to max level for years now, and I don't even have SMN at level 99. I would agree that these two jobs are small heroes that people probably wouldn't consider in Odyssey, but they have enormous play. As it turned out, nobody in our group had either job, or if they did, it would leave us absent of some other essential job in our main group.

I now have to get my PUP ready, because I can see PUP being essential for a few fights at least on a B-team, particularly Ngai or Arebati.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-16 09:05:47
Link | Citer | R

Yes, pup is outstanding on ngai. Can control an add and still contribute to dmg on the boss. Due to the WS wall it might even be able to contribute a little more than usual relative to the blu or mnk that you'd have as a main DD since verethragna's white dmg would still be pretty good.

Also can't discount how good overdrive can be to shave some life off of a boss. The puppet can do multiple damage types, doesn't need an entire party to support it (maybe toss it your GEO or COR), and isn't affected by the WS wall so it can be used to soften the target. Won't be outrageous damage don't get me wrong, but it'd be at minimum similar to purulent ooze.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-16 09:15:58
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Belkin said: »
It is easy to accept that I am bad at game, but that bad that we could not move it from 40%? You just 100% to 0% Henwen in a single phone ignoring both adds?

What exactly was the setup on Henwen then? We were PLD/MNK/WAR/BRD/COR/WHM. You must've had a different setup. MNK was Verethragna white damage only, WAR was Judgment every 10 seconds.

Forgive me, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this based on what I just witnessed first hand.

You are going to want to swap that COR for an Idris GEO, as Fury would be stronger than Chaos roll, and SAM's roll is devalued with the 10s wall. Chaos simply cannot compare to Bolster Fury under the 40% push, where you need all the dps you can get. Could do Rogues if you were dead set on a COR, as JA reset enhancements are helpful. I felt the GEO was a better option than COR for the clears. Also, MNK does not need to only do white damage. During Footwork and Bolster, Tornado Kicks skyrocket for more than judgment can do, so not using that you are missing out on a lot of damage. You should alternate opportunities to maximize the most dps possible. Like MS should be only WAR on Judgment, but HF should be synced during your Footwork so you get the enhanced kick damage, attack speed, kick rate, and higher effective TP Tornado Kicks.
By Serjero 2022-12-16 09:30:40
Link | Citer | R

The problem is we can't even be sure what SE intended due to how many mechanics have changed. The WS wall really only made sense if you were looking only at Bumba especially since two of the Tier 3s have an aura that's only removable from multi-step skillchains and one that you have to spam multiple WSs in a tight window where the wall just flies in the face of what the game is telling you to do. Originally on the V20s if you killed the add in one run and re-entered it would respawn making that strategy completely worthless so the only way to actually win was by just powering/healing through it or having something like RDM or BRD deal with it.

As far as Mboze goes, I'm not really sure what SE expected. With a move like timber you only have two options, either survive it, or prevent it and both strategies were utilized between V15 and V20.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-12-16 09:43:58
Link | Citer | R

Do we know if a valiance element works on timber? It's been ages since the early threads and I don't feel like digging through them, but someone recently commented on JPs using it for denounce. That wouldn't be too hard to maintain for most of a run with a COR present. Of course, multiple runs for adds is still going to complicate things..

Given that regen doesn't matter, the optimal configuration for many of these is probably to run a zerg setup to get it to 40%, second setup to clear both adds, and third setup to choke down the remaining 40%.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-16 09:49:08
Link | Citer | R

Serjero said: »
As far as Mboze goes, I'm not really sure what SE expected. With a move like timber you only have two options, either survive it, or prevent it and both strategies were utilized between V15 and V20.

All of these fights have a theme and allow for different jobs, so it's more than likely that SE designed Mboze to be a collaborative-effort type of fight with pets involved. I don't even think they thought about Rampart specifically. There aren't a lot of pet-oriented fights in this game anymore, so I believe Mboze was their way of allowing at least one of these fights to have an advantage if using extra bodies in range of Tiiimbeeer. It just so happened that players realized they could completely neutralize the move by TP reduction. I don't even give SE the credit of knowing that a TP-denial strategy is a thing in the modern game; we also use the same thing on Aminon. The probably had no idea people would circumvent their design in that way in favor of a more consistent approach.

I am not on Mboze V25 yet, but if I had to take a wild guess into the future, I would say that SE probably nerfed TP Drainkiss, Mew, or TP reduction in some way on Mboze or other bosses to force people back into the intended strategy they had in mind. Because if they didn't people are probably going to use that same method for V25 Mboze (Though I think a pet-focused fight would be fun for a change)
By Serjero 2022-12-16 10:01:29
Link | Citer | R

There are what 5 pet jobs in the game. Two of them has a pet on a 20 min CD, another is limited to 2 JAs one on a 20 min one on a 5 Min CD. Which leaves you with SMN and GEO as respammable pets to absorb damage after the first Timber kills everything else if canopierce already hasn't not to mention out of these jobs only 2 of them have slashing capabilities. They already nerfed BPs and mewing into the ground so if they did nerf the BST TP denial strat then I don't know how people would actually get past Mboze outside of just absolutely perfect luck. Even now the TP denial strat is a bit questionable due to WS wall limiting how much damage the COR/BRD/BLU can contribute. Oh and Mboze has a native regen that heals past specific HP thresholds so GL trying to do multi-entry.

Edit for clarity: Mboze regen might not actually be moving his HP threshold up and might just be naturally healing back up as soon as you enter. Haven't tested it super seriously since V20s initially dropped either way it's not good for multi-entry. But I could also either be wrong or they could have changed it.
 Lakshmi.Armaddon
user: Hibiu
By Lakshmi.Armaddon 2022-12-16 10:07:11
Link | Citer | R

Might be missing something/this might be repeat info now, but as far as HP regen between fights, our group observed in V20 that as long as you take the bosses down below any 5% threshold, that most recent threshold is where their HP will start on the next fight, even if they regen back up above that amount throughout the fight/after a wipe/etc. E.g.: Take boss to 64%, wipe, let it regen to 78% or w/e, re-enter and it'll be at 75%. We took advantage of this while double-shotting a couple fights to help make them a bit less stressful (Ongo, Mboze, Arebati). Our B team was actually able to take Mboze pretty far down on fight 1, even with the pet thwacking away.

If you take them below the 75% threshold and re-enter, they'll open immediately on pull with an SP, pet spawn, and aura. If you take the V25 bosses below 40%, they'll open with their first SP/pet/aura, then as soon as that first SP wears, they'll immediately follow up with the second SP/pet/aura re-roll. We also saw on Gagmagog that our BLU was unable to land Subduction on the boss or the first pet until after that first SP wore, which was fun... Might just be an anomaly, of course, but after the SP wore he had zero issues getting gravity on boss/pet/second pet when it spawned.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-16 10:18:18
Link | Citer | R

Two of them has a pet on a 20 min CD, another is limited to 2 JAs one on a 20 min one on a 5 Min CD.

You can sing songs in the lobby and entrust max duration Nitro Marcato songs to your DRG, and Empathy your wyvern. Include everything from Scherzo to Carols, Bar spells, Stoneskin, rolls etc. The buffs don't wear on entry if they are on the wyvern, so technically you can get every buff you can fit on your Wyvern and then have a COR random deal for your Call Wyvern back. With Spirit Link and the Empyrean head and a few other pieces, along with all these prebuffs you can keep your wyvern alive decently enough. Spirit Bond also allows you to use Restoring Breath to heal the wyvern also, and you can take some of your pet's damage if you need to keep it alive. DRG can also use Naegling for Slashing, and it's one of the strongest Savage Blade users in the game.

BST can use Bestial Loyalty in the lobby and reset it with RD. My Call Beast Timer is closer to 3:50 with merits and Acro gear, not 5 minutes, and im not even using a perfect set. Unleash also resets the timer on Call Beast to resummon infinite pets for the duration. BST also has Slashing options in Axe + Sword and can inflate it's damage (and the DRG's) a lot with Killer Instinct. Maybe Randy's damage is slashing? That aside, Reward basically can full heal most pets, or at least buy enough time until the next Call Beast is ready.

I don't know much about Summoner and their damage types. Are there any Slashing-damage pets they use?

I think the puppet has a slashing-damage frame that can be utilized as well, so there's at minimum 3 pet jobs that have slashing damage associated with it. Even still, that doesn't mean you can't include other non-pet slashing users in the setup. I was just saying that Mboze may have been designed specifically with extra bodies with pets in mind, whether they are disposable or not.
By SimonSes 2022-12-16 10:25:45
Link | Citer | R

Even now the TP denial strat is a bit questionable due to WS wall limiting how much damage the COR/BRD/BLU can contribute.

This. I think TPing on add and only WSing Mboze is no longer possible, because you wont be able to outpace regen. Probably the only TP denial method will be killing both adds, but most likely we will end up killing first add, then ignoring second add and just zerging Mboze down with Rampart/Tusk/SoulEnslavement/KillerInstinct etc.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-12-16 10:26:03
Link | Citer | R

SMN has slashing, blunt, and piercing options for their BP:R. Also: PUP pet may not die from Tiiiiimber, they have a ton of DT and a decent pool of HP. If they do die, however, they have Dues Ex Automata to bring it back with a 1 minute recast. There are some caveats here, but it's not impossible to think that many of these jobs can keep their pets alive. DRG also gets Steady Wing, which wasn't mentioned.

All that said, I'm still not SURE that it's possible, but I do think it's possible that some pet cheese is possible.

There might also be some strat involving a NIN with lots of subtle blow and Migawari?

Does Sacrosanctity block Tiiimber? Could do Rampart -> Sacro -> RD -> Rampart -> Sacro -> WC -> Rampart -> Sacro -> RD -> Rampart -> Sacro.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-16 10:32:37
Link | Citer | R

I wasn't saying you could beat Mboze V25 with pet setups, I was merely talking about what devs may have been thinking with that fight.

I had stoneskin empathy on the brain, but Steady Wing is probably better, good call out.

Ninja for sure has a lot of play in Mboze. I used it in some V20 cheese strats with Trusts and one other buffer. Migawari allows you to walk through all of his threatening moves. Only problem with NIN is it is heavily attack starved. I haven't given much thought about how to include a NIN in an Mboze setup, but I think it would be a good option nonetheless.
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2022-12-16 10:37:52
Link | Citer | R

Does Sacrosanctity block Tiiimber?

The problem with Sacro is that it would wear off after Mboze auto attacks since they are magic damage. It only soaks the first magic damage hit, which could be any number of things. Stonega, auto attack, TP move other than Timber.
First Page 2 3 ... 200 201 202 ... 242 243 244