The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 196 197 198 ... 242 243 244
 Asura.Bigtymer
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: olson2189
By Asura.Bigtymer 2022-12-13 21:40:01
Link | Citer | R

Finished the T2's tonight, and not surprisingly, the T3's are also structured the same - 1 add at 74%, and another of the same type at 40%. Otherwise, all the same mechanics exist (fetters with the same proc system).
By Vaerix 2022-12-13 21:43:49
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bigtymer said: »
Finished the T2's tonight, and not surprisingly, the T3's are also structured the same - 1 add at 74%, and another of the same type at 40%. Otherwise, all the same mechanics exist (fetters with the same proc system).

WS wall as well assuming?
 Asura.Bigtymer
user: olson2189
By Asura.Bigtymer 2022-12-13 21:59:28
Link | Citer | R

Yea, WS was present as well.
By Bakerboy 2022-12-13 22:23:53
Link | Citer | R

Got Kalunga V25 down to 35%, mechanics described above. Will reattempt tomorrow since members had to work tonight. Definitely feeling the difficulty, love it.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-13 22:52:07
Link | Citer | R

Bakerboy said: »
Got Kalunga V25 down to 35%, mechanics described above. Will reattempt tomorrow since members had to work tonight. Definitely feeling the difficulty, love it.

Single run ignoring both adds or a dual entry with killing the first add?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-13 23:09:58
Link | Citer | R

Bakerboy said: »

I don't know your strat but I'm already theory crafting a setup for Kalunga. Just power through and ignore the add. Triple up on defensive buffs at the 40% mark. Drop sam's roll for rogues since WS wall devalues effective tp speed. DRK WS's, WAR AM3 white damage with Ukon, applies armor break. BRD can nitro elegy both adds and whm can add slow. DRK can BIO2 each turtle if he wants. So barrier/Minne x2 for front line by the 40% mark.

I'm assuming a lot of people will want to bring a RDM for the adds but it might just be better to defensive up with empy+3/Odyssey gear and power through them vs trying to control them.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-13 23:13:34
Link | Citer | R

Seems like a pointless effort to stress yourself into doing anything other than simply going the easy route and just going all 3 times. You only have to do it once.

I won't say effortless but with 3 full attempts it should be.
By Serjero 2022-12-14 00:42:18
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I don't know your strat but I'm already theory crafting a setup for Kalunga. Just power through and ignore the add. Triple up on defensive buffs at the 40% mark. Drop sam's roll for rogues since WS wall devalues effective tp speed. DRK WS's, WAR AM3 white damage with Ukon, applies armor break. BRD can nitro elegy both adds and whm can add slow. DRK can BIO2 each turtle if he wants. So barrier/Minne x2 for front line by the 40% mark.

I'm assuming a lot of people will want to bring a RDM for the adds but it might just be better to defensive up with empy+3/Odyssey gear and power through them vs trying to control them.

Why not just bring a Redemption DRK and go for double AM3 builds. It's not terrible to hold TP for Cross Reaper and Upheaval so once a rhythm is established DDs shouldn't be overstepping each other too badly. Can also SC Upheaval > Vorpal Scythe indefinitely for aura.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-14 01:08:14
Link | Citer | R

Torcleaver is stronger and you get AM3 there anyways, and DRK can self SC the aura as well.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2022-12-14 02:08:12
Link | Citer | R

Torcleaver is stronger and you get AM3 there anyways, and DRK can self SC the aura as well.

Redemption should be slightly better for that scenario, but its almost whatever. You for sure shouldnt try to solo SC for aura tho. Its way easier and much safer to do it with WAR.

That being said WAR damage will be pretty weak without hasso or haste samba. DRK could probably do it solo. If you want second DD, maybe go for Savage DRG doing Savage at 3000TP and DRK doing only white damage.

Still not sure how you gonna fit all those
BRD
GEO
COR
WAR
DRK
tank
healer

So no tank or no healer? :)
By Vaerix 2022-12-14 02:40:20
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »

Redemption should be slightly better for that scenario, but its almost whatever. You for sure shouldnt try to solo SC for aura tho. Its way easier and much safer to do it with WAR.

That being said WAR damage will be pretty weak without hasso or haste samba. DRK could probably do it solo. If you want second DD, maybe go for Savage DRG doing Savage at 3000TP and DRK doing only white damage.

Still not sure how you gonna fit all those
BRD
GEO
COR
WAR
DRK
tank
healer

So no tank or no healer? :)

Pretty sure the idea is no tank but that leaves your precious damage dealers open to a full dispel from the boss, or one of the 2 adds you're leaving alive. Let alone murdered by fetters because you've got 2 2h weapon users smacking it for tp sub 25%, maybe drop that rogues for monks roll to prevent unfortunate circumstances but one or both of your dd's are going to get full dispelled from the boss if by nothing else.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2022-12-14 07:22:02
Link | Citer | R

Did Dealan-dhe today v25

RUN BLM SCH RDM COR GEO, (bolster/tr) in 4 min, SCH distortion -> leaden salute(non dp cor)

dropped it in 4 min, and it did elemental scherzo twice in that time.

RDM fiddled with the adds, didnt kill either
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-14 07:25:13
Link | Citer | R

KujahFoxfire said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Seems like a pointless effort to stress yourself into doing anything other than simply going the easy route and just going all 3 times. You only have to do it once.

The problem I see with this is splitting up the buffers so you can still cap haste each time and be doing meaningful damage/capping accuracy. I also feel like Ongo is gonna be downright unreasonable give you can basically only do damage with RUN present.

You can take a melee party and do damage too. you get 45 minutes to kill it. It will be "unpleasant" and "*** shriveling" but still nearly effortless.

Something like RNG and SAM(Mura), THF SMN(diab) group one whittles off 26% and kills add then standard BLM burst kills it. maybe even actually get use out of Crep Scythe DRK.

There are enough buffers for 3 parties. GEO BRD COR SMN DNC RDM BLU. And enough debuffers. RDM BLU BST DNC GEO. Plus Angon/Tomahawk/Breaks/ShellCrusher. It's just whining to whine cause it's not as fast QQ.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-14 07:27:45
Link | Citer | R

Oh no I miscounted jobs. My mistake. You'd drop the COR or GEO for healer. I said solo DRK (which is very doable) for TP feed purposes but you can pair up for it anyways.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-14 08:17:53
Link | Citer | R

Riiiight. Remember that tomorrow(maybe the weekend, Agwu's ranks kinda suck) when there's a jp vod doing exactly that.
 Fenrir.Svens
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Tenkey
By Fenrir.Svens 2022-12-14 08:34:05
Link | Citer | R

I figured people would just do the standard SMN chip damage for the first 20-25%, then finish it with the standard MB setup, ignoring the adds like with the other magic vulnerable NMs. Probably have to get lucky with auras and cor resets to beat the double add regen.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-14 08:58:02
Link | Citer | R

The double add regen thing is only problematic if your dps can't damage fast enough, and you get to that point at the 40% mark or so.

I think something like PUP might have a lot of play in Ongo. Caper the hate onto him and Ventriloquy it back to the puppet, and use the RUN as your add tank. RUN can still participate in the 4-step SC if he TPs on add and WS's on Ongo. You get nonstop opportunities for BLM to nuke, which is the real bread and butter of that fight. And nobody else would get hit from TP moves besides the puppet and RUN. It might not seem practical from a job comp standpoint to NA players to build a strat around PUP, but I could see the JP utilizing it and maybe dropping the GEO (or BRD?) if they have enough MLs on BLM + SCH to deal damage effectively. Would be quite a unique way to do it.

Anyways, Ongo is a bird, so you can use Arthur's Ooze for 33% defense down and KI damage bonus because he's an Amorph, so chipping him away with resisted damage is definitely an option. BST also has access to Mistral Axe, which is a Fusion-aligned ranged WS, so he has the ability to open skillchhains for the COR. You also have access to the other Amorph (Acuex) that still allows you to apply Magic Def down debuff from Pestulent Plune, so you may not miss GEO that much if you factor in KI bonus and MDD debuff. BST could have some massive play in Ongo, either in a prep fight or in a clear strat. There's a lot of ways I could see it working.

Just talking it over here, but you'd probably have to drop the GEO and go something like RUN BST BLM SCH BRD COR and do 4 step after first add pops, using the add as a TP battery: Mistral Axe > Leaden Salute > Steel Cyclone > Wildfire for Grav > double dark, and BLM can nuke and SCH can add a helix and an Ebullience nuke, since he won't be using strats for the SC. BST also has the added ability to Snarl hate back onto it's pet. Maybe Sultry Patrice, which is still an Amorph for KI (so you will intimidate the Procne add as well as take -50% damage along with being able to heal itself with Digest, so it should not die). It might be tricky with positioning, but you could Caper the BST at like 74%, and then caper your pet and then have the tank either build hate on the add full time or try to take hate back on Ongo so the add is on the BST pet. It might be a good time for the SCH to try TR to keep a SC going for the BLM while all of this is going on. It Sforzos at this time anyways, so damage halts for a moment. COR + BST could pull add away from mages and TP on it, using Ranged WS in between to contribute to SC.

These are just ideas I would expect the JP group to try (you might not see a video of the attemps, but they absolutely consider all of these things when finally getting the working strat that everyone copies), but could probably never convince a NA group that it would be worth attempting. I do agree that SMN has massive play in this fight as a prep job as well. The problem with doing multiple run clears is that it will require even more solid job diversity to make a good run at it, so it could be equally as frustrating to do either approach, depending on what's available to your group as far as jobs/skill/experience goes.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-14 09:37:32
Link | Citer | R

Has anyone ever landed Sleep on Ongo for the purpose of boosting Night Terror damage?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-14 10:10:45
Link | Citer | R

The double add regen thing is only problematic if your dps can't damage fast enough, and you get to that point at the 40% mark or so.

This would be true if they didn't introduce the giant DPS limiter of the weapon skill wall. Getting past the second adds massive regen effect is going to be hard if you can only burst damage once every 10s. Out of all the T3 fights, I think only Arribati is going to be hellish since a two party setup can handle the rest. Ongo was already super tight on time, keeping damage up isn't a problem but that massive regen might require plain luck with wildcard. Not sure if there is a viable way to deal 25% magic damage to him before switching to slashing and murder the first add?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-14 10:12:36
Link | Citer | R

The problem I see with this is splitting up the buffers so you can still cap haste each time and be doing meaningful damage/capping accuracy. I also feel like Ongo is gonna be downright unreasonable give you can basically only do damage with RUN present.

You can take a melee party and do damage too. you get 45 minutes to kill it. It will be "unpleasant" and "*** shriveling" but still nearly effortless.

Something like RNG and SAM(Mura), THF SMN(diab) group one whittles off 26% and kills add then standard BLM burst kills it. maybe even actually get use out of Crep Scythe DRK.

There are enough buffers for 3 parties. GEO BRD COR SMN DNC RDM BLU. And enough debuffers. RDM BLU BST DNC GEO. Plus Angon/Tomahawk/Breaks/ShellCrusher. It's just whining to whine cause it's not as fast QQ.

Given how inflexible the kill comp is, RUN RDM GEO BRD COR BLM, you aint killing that first add in 15 or even 30 mins with an off comp, there just is not enough buffs/debuffs available to do anything meaningful while a tank is holding Ongo

Ongo's add is Procne, we've murdered Procne before with off comps, especially if RNG, THF, DNC and WAR are available. The real issue is spawning him in the first place without using the Ongo kill team.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-14 10:39:40
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Has anyone made a concerted and documented effort, in Sortie or Odyssey, to try various skillchains and behaviors that could potentially reduce or alter the behavior of the 'WS wall'?

Gonna quote this again because I think it's worth determining if that wall is just unbreakable or if there's a condition to remove it. I know we've just ignored the mechanics in the past and it hasn't mattered, but since we are now forced to have to deal with the mechanics, it's something to try.

Also, has anyone tested opposing element weakness DURING aura to see if damage from a MB setup is possible? I don't recall if Ongo takes additional damage from earth during aura. Probably not but just wondering. We know its affinity to the aligned element skyrockets during aura, to the point that you could cap SC damage and heal the T3, but I can't remember if the damage during that time period goes up for the right element. Maybe the wall is related to SC damage, elements, or the window in some way.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-14 10:54:20
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

This would be true if they didn't introduce the giant DPS limiter of the weapon skill wall. Getting past the second adds massive regen effect is going to be hard if you can only burst damage once every 10s. Out of all the T3 fights, I think only Arribati is going to be hellish since a two party setup can handle the rest. Ongo was already super tight on time, keeping damage up isn't a problem but that massive regen might require plain luck with wildcard. Not sure if there is a viable way to deal 25% magic damage to him before switching to slashing and murder the first add?

The add for Ongo is Procne so that would be piercing. Maybe Ninja, Dancer, Summoner could team up. Ninja+Dancer make darkness for Summoner, burst Night Terror. Ninja tanks with Fan Dance Dancer and NIN can add Stone nukes to bursts(lol), Dancer can Stutter Step for a little extra resistance. When the add pops, you can have box step, Garuda's Predator Claws (I assume this is piercing? AFAC might work on add since there's no WS wall on it). SMN also has a host of other buffs for the party to assist with Procne. Can throw in a Ranger with maxed Hover shot, tank and maybe RDM for Dia3 , Frazzle 3, and some bursts on Ongo. That might be enough with a B team to take out the add for the main group to make a real effort on the second attempt.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-14 11:39:18
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

The add for Ongo is Procne so that would be piercing. Maybe Ninja, Dancer, Summoner could team up. Ninja+Dancer make darkness for Summoner, burst Night Terror. Ninja tanks with Fan Dance Dancer and NIN can add Stone nukes to bursts(lol), Dancer can Stutter Step for a little extra resistance. When the add pops, you can have box step, Garuda's Predator Claws (I assume this is piercing? AFAC might work on add since there's no WS wall on it). SMN also has a host of other buffs for the party to assist with Procne. Can throw in a Ranger with maxed Hover shot, tank and maybe RDM for Dia3 , Frazzle 3, and some bursts on Ongo. That might be enough with a B team to take out the add for the main group to make a real effort on the second attempt.

The DPS team will include a RNG at a minimum, they can deal ranged magic damage along with the SMN's Night Terror. Might also use a WAR since they serve as piercing DPS, add tanking and can make several SC's if needed. The question will be if we can deal 25% to Ongo fast enough (AF AC Night Terror?) to have the time to kill Procne with a MS Warcry zerg. For buffers / support we have several combinations of SMN / RDM / BLU / WHM and even DNC.

I'm seeing WAR used in lots of dual team strategies because they can deal multiple types of damage and act as a "tank" while killing the add. Ninja kinda does this too, but their piercing options are kinda weak in comparison. I think SE really intended us to make multiple attempts per clear and didn't like that we were able to bypass that with sufficiently front loaded DPS. Unfortunately the T3's having different damage types really breaks their model, they should of made them have the same.
 Fenrir.Ahlen
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Ahlen
By Fenrir.Ahlen 2022-12-14 12:00:03
Link | Citer | R

There seems to be something that triggers adds to gain up to 50% dt.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-12-14 12:10:43
Link | Citer | R

Don't forget that you can potentially use Purulent Ooze in your add comp for a free 10%. Nobody wants BST in a serious setup, but that's not small potatoes if you're already using off jobs.
By Guyford 2022-12-14 12:49:26
Link | Citer | R

Wait, do the T3 adds have damage type resistances? The other adds didn't.

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 196 197 198 ... 242 243 244