users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 35 36 37 ... 97 98 99
By Sidiov 2020-08-14 14:54:58
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Austar said: »
and unless you know a mob's specific magic evasion
Just to clarify here: I agree with the mobs meva point. I worked with a few players to capture a few million casts and produce some estimates for a couple mobs, but it is totally estimated for mobs outside them.
Basically for max damage testing, just don't look at the averages for magic ws, and if on the rare chance you get a resist in the example, just run it again.
edit again: also my goal is to capture the cast data on more mobs so i can estimate a larger number in the future.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-14 15:23:16
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Austar said: »
magic ws have no fluctuation in damage if you keep tp values the same, there is no need for 3000 iterations. additionally, you have different numbers on wildfire when damage should be static

Personally, I used 3k in my testing because I didn't want to bother with a tank trust to ensure I could just shoot without taking damage (messing with TP making the math more annoying), or meleeing and definitely not getting same TP results over and over. It was just faster to use 3k TP as the marker.
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-14 15:25:41
Link | Citer | R

3k was the number of simulated weaponskills, not the tp used

Weird that 3k was the chosen number... Purposely confusing!

Point is that it's "pointless" to average 3000(any number of) ws's, when they will all be identical. (assuming you ignore resists)((in a sim, with perfect numbers))
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-14 15:42:16
Link | Citer | R

Double, as in independent point:

Instead of "at these arbitrary numbers I chose of AGI+ and MAB+"

Would've been better but much more work "at +237 MAB Scout's+2 becomes better"
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-14 15:51:05
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
3k was the number of simulated weaponskills, not the tp used

Weird that 3k was the chosen number... Purposely confusing!

Point is that it's "pointless" to average 3000(any number of) ws's, when they will all be identical. (assuming you ignore resists)((in a sim, with perfect numbers))

quite true- didn't know if that the bringing it up in the 1st place was related to actual or simulated tests.
By Sidiov 2020-08-14 16:23:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Double, as in independent point:

Instead of "at these arbitrary numbers I chose of AGI+ and MAB+"

Would've been better but much more work "at +237 MAB Scout's+2 becomes better"

Yea actually i was trying to find a number where scout's loses... you have to drop to under ~100mab to really make it lose on wildfire, and i think you will likely be over those in any normal set you use anyways, so i just say use Scout's +1 period.
By Gasho 2020-08-19 11:18:51
Link | Citer | R

Hello,

another question ^^;

for Trueflight weapon skill what is the best 2 rings
I have Epaminondas's Ring and Dingir ring now, should I replace one of them with NQ Weather ring?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-19 11:23:45
Link | Citer | R

Weatherspoon ring is Trueflight's Pixie Hairpin +1. There is so little +light affinity gear in the game, and that's really the only still relevant piece that's usable on high level content.

It would easily win over Dingir, not to mention even with NQ ring you'll pick up some hefty magic accuracy for a "Damage" ring. Not to mention that its all jobs, and that 5% fast cast can matter a lot for jobs that can't easily build fast cast sets.
By ksoze 2020-08-19 12:29:50
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Weatherspoon ring is Trueflight's Pixie Hairpin +1. There is so little +light affinity gear in the game, and that's really the only still relevant piece that's usable on high level content.

It would easily win over Dingir, not to mention even with NQ ring you'll pick up some hefty magic accuracy for a "Damage" ring. Not to mention that its all jobs, and that 5% fast cast can matter a lot for jobs that can't easily build fast cast sets.

I hope SE is listening, we need more rng love
By Gasho 2020-08-24 16:22:12
Link | Citer | R

So I got Holliday augmented with 18AGI 18MAB
for trueflight this should beat R0 Foma?

Gun DMG increase magical WS power? or its not related

ty
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2020-08-24 16:25:03
Link | Citer | R

just give ranger daybreak then lmfao
[+]
By Sidiov 2020-08-24 16:29:38
Link | Citer | R

Gasho said: »

ty
Only if you WS over ~2400 tp, otherwise stick with fomal.
Gun DMG not related.
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-08-24 16:42:51
Link | Citer | R

Sidiov said: »
Gasho said: »

ty
Only if you WS over ~2400 tp, otherwise stick with fomal.
Gun DMG not related.

I really need to familiarize myself with these formulae... will you please explain why it won't beat it out beneath 2400?

Thanks.
By Gasho 2020-08-24 17:36:14
Link | Citer | R

so Foma beats 33Agi 18mab >.> with just 500 tp bonus wow
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2020-08-24 17:41:23
Link | Citer | R

think even martial gun beats it lol
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-24 17:58:06
Link | Citer | R

TP scaling is one of our most powerful stats we as players have at our disposal. Its why something like Moonshade Earring can destroy any other option in its slot even so long after its release. Its why Savage Blade metas are so hard to beat with "traditional" weapon setups. And its why Fomalhaut will be your 2nd best Trueflight option all the way up to 2249 TP. Above that, Armageddon will pull ahead, and likely even your augmented Holliday, although I'd love to see comparative numbers of 2500 and 3000 TP Trueflights with both guns.
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-08-24 18:26:06
Link | Citer | R

#GiveMoreLightElementalGearToRNG
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-24 18:30:18
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Topace said: »

hoping against hope that the eventual Empy+3 upgrades come with additional "direct drop" loot the way there are gear drops in Omen, and gear drops/neck&weapon upgrades available in Dynamis-Divergence...and among them will be a +light hand piece. Or even just an earring.

...not to mention my constant whining for an iLvl limbus to get that sexy Apollyon weather for a true endgame event again. :)
[+]
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-08-25 11:34:30
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

hoping against hope that the eventual Empy+3 upgrades come with additional "direct drop" loot the way there are gear drops in Omen, and gear drops/neck&weapon upgrades available in Dynamis-Divergence...and among them will be a +light hand piece. Or even just an earring.

...not to mention my constant whining for an iLvl limbus to get that sexy Apollyon weather for a true endgame event again. :)
that would require SE to care about ranger! And judging from the way bow ws been on life support for the past couple years we're in for another double darkness event.
[+]
By Weeew 2020-08-25 13:17:21
Link | Citer | R

#GiveRNGiLvL119KrAkEnClUb
 Siren.Affliction
Serveur: Siren
user: JBrysch
By Siren.Affliction 2020-08-29 17:39:49
Link | Citer | R

Hi,

I'm missing the days of archery and I'm considering building the Gandiva (and everything that comes with it). What kind of ranged physical damage potential should I realistically expect from it?

Higher than Fomal? Around the same? Significantly lower?

Appreciate the time for replies, and apologies if the answer is well documented.
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-08-29 18:44:17
Link | Citer | R

With gandiva your white damage will certainly be higher than fomal. But WS wise Fomal shits all over gandiva and leaves it out front to be collected by the trash man. But with double shot and buffs Gun/Xbow WS spam makes up for whatever white damage bow is bring to the table and then some. At least in my opinion. Not to mention Gandiva is the only bow that would be able to compete for the white damage only. A sad day for rng.

I personally don’t bother with bows as their are very few if any situations where it would be preferred to guns. If doing white damage is honestly go MNK or something.
 Asura.Jackflashh
user: Kido
By Asura.Jackflashh 2020-08-31 04:09:54
Link | Citer | R

Hey Ranger folks. Trying to decide which job to pour 100's of millions of gil into next, and I was leaning towards Rng. I really enjoyed playing back in the 75 cap era, but haven't touched it since. Currently have heavy Drk DD and Smn for zerg, so I feel like Rng might help to round things out, and just be fun.

Was hoping someone might be kind enough to give me the TLDR version of the state of Ranger at the moment. I.e. REMA priorities, it's place in the meta, etc.. as I sort through the forums and read up on my own. Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
 Ragnarok.Nightmarelord
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: BushinNmL
By Ragnarok.Nightmarelord 2020-08-31 04:20:36
Link | Citer | R

reading the first page of this guide is pretty much tells you everything you need to know about rng.

You do what you have the patience to do or dont do.

given that your rng is 16, and you dont appear to have a cor at all.

Be prepared to drop some heavy coin on the job, or pick a different one.
[+]
 Asura.Jackflashh
user: Kido
By Asura.Jackflashh 2020-08-31 04:28:35
Link | Citer | R

Like I said:

Quote:
Trying to decide which job to pour 100's of millions of gil into next

And given that it takes all of a few hours to go from 0-99 in today's FFXI, I'm just looking for ppl's experience playing the jobs in the current meta to see where they stand.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-31 04:46:03
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Jackflashh said: »
Hey Ranger folks. Trying to decide which job to pour 100's of millions of gil into next, and I was leaning towards Rng. I really enjoyed playing back in the 75 cap era, but haven't touched it since. Currently have heavy Drk DD and Smn for zerg, so I feel like Rng might help to round things out, and just be fun.

Was hoping someone might be kind enough to give me the TLDR version of the state of Ranger at the moment. I.e. REMA priorities, it's place in the meta, etc.. as I sort through the forums and read up on my own. Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

the "tl;dr" version of Ranger is a pretty damn boring way to play Ranger. If that's your goal, sorry- not gonna find a nice clean answer that in any way is going to result in a valuable Ranger.

I'm NOT saying you need 4+ RMEAs and a Kraken Club to be a 'real' ranger. I AM saying you need flexibility for a multitude of situations to justify bringing your Ranger to content. If you want a 1-trick pony, there are cheaper and simpler options that fit into mixed setups, not just dedicated alliances built around 2 rangers.

Flexibility means being able to deal quality magical AND physical ranged damage. To be able to play on both the Darkness and Light side of skillchains to work with others. Have melee options of both Savage Blade and Aeolian Edge.

How you reach those abilities is where the variance and enjoyment of the job comes from. Outside of that complexity, its a pretty straightforward job with pretty simple math behind it. So you gotta have fun and get that depth somewhere else- the way most Rangers do is varying sets to maximize different weapons for different buff arrays and situations.

I'd say the "tl;dr" version is- build a damn good ranger, or you'll never be on it in situations with good buffs and when it matters.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nightmarelord
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: BushinNmL
By Ragnarok.Nightmarelord 2020-08-31 05:05:19
Link | Citer | R

^pretty much.
Was 4:20 when i originally posted so yeah. you know what it is.

also avoid meleeing until full mala. ***. (lol)
By SimonSes 2020-08-31 14:03:27
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Jackflashh said: »

META answers.
REMA priority: None
Place in META: Naegling/KC Savage Blade for melee zergs on full buffs.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Serveur: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-09-03 21:42:58
Link | Citer | R

For REMA, if gil/speed is a concern, fomal is probably your best bet for starting REMA weapon. 2nd best Trueflight, high physical.

Ideal i would say probably Anni + Gastra. Fomal is great, but the fact that anni isnt that much a DPS loss and removes virtually all physical enmity spikes is really hard to pass up. And gastra is essentially death penalty.

Melee build is also great with tp bow + DI arrow, but will require a lot of gear, most R/EX.

If youre looking to just throw gil at the wall, you can find a use for every gun rema. Arma is great for shorter fights, and hits like a truck.

The only issue ranger has, is that its a better cor... if you already have a cor or two (and weather isnt an issue). You can fit like 3 cors in a party and not feel bad about it because buffs buffs buffs. Rangers damage isnt that much better to pass up that utility, and it might even be lower in some respects without a cor buffing the ranger.

Ranger also has arguably the weakest one hour in the game, being eagle eye shot, which is almost always going to be a worse barrage, and can even flat out miss. Even mijin can reset weakness or get warp to homepoint faster than dying manually when your warp club is out of charges and ring is on CD.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-04 00:36:10
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
For REMA, if gil/speed is a concern, fomal is probably your best bet for starting REMA weapon. 2nd best Trueflight, high physical.

Ideal i would say probably Anni + Gastra. Fomal is great, but the fact that anni isnt that much a DPS loss and removes virtually all physical enmity spikes is really hard to pass up. And gastra is essentially death penalty.

All wonderfully on point. And an R15 Annihilator(with chrono bullets), is an amazing physical damage tool. Its truly the only physical damage option in my book where I can go all out. Modern alliance setups means that Decoy Shot- a GREAT tool- becomes pretty much worthless because you're in a DD party, not with the tank.

Melee build is also great with tp bow + DI arrow, but will require a lot of gear, most R/EX.

ehh- the R/E comment is pretty much true for any build on Ranger, be it sword,dagger, or shooting. But don't fall into the trap of thinking that you MUST have a kclub to melee. I personally love my setup of Naegling/Blurred+1(and looking forward to seeing how offhand Ternion+1 R15'ed compares)/TP bonus Bow/DI Arrow.

If youre looking to just throw gil at the wall, you can find a use for every gun rema. Arma is great for shorter fights, and hits like a truck.

The only issue ranger has, is that its a better cor... if you already have a cor or two (and weather isnt an issue). You can fit like 3 cors in a party and not feel bad about it because buffs buffs buffs. Rangers damage isnt that much better to pass up that utility, and it might even be lower in some respects without a cor buffing the ranger.

Ranger needs complete buffs to compete, but it scales so damn well once it reaches that threshold of buffs. Its why I've called it my "princess" job for years now. So yes, Corsair has grown to a point in its DPS capabilities that they in many situations can be the damage equivalent- and bring rolls. The only weather that's an issue for RNG vs COR parsing is darkness weather. It just so happens that the most popular and highest value/difficulty content we have is in double-darkness weather. That doesn't mean that the issue is "weather" itself, just SE's lazy implementation of endgame zones that focus so much on Darkness.

Ranger also has arguably the weakest one hour in the game, being eagle eye shot, which is almost always going to be a worse barrage, and can even flat out miss. Even mijin can reset weakness or get warp to homepoint faster than dying manually when your warp club is out of charges and ring is on CD.

As with many jobs that got underwhelming original 1-hour abilities, Ranger's 2nd 1-hour, Overkill is absolutely broken as hell.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 35 36 37 ... 97 98 99