Random Politics & Religion #25

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #25
Random Politics & Religion #25
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 59 60 61
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 15:48:13
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
They never released his info nor threatened to in return for anything.
...is that a talent? You know, burring your head in the sand and/or up somebody else's orifice?

This is a public statement from CNN themselves that states that they will not release his identity as long as he toes the line. That's a classic case of coercion.

But hey, if you want, I can tell Breitbart to release your public information unless you stop your <insert political opinion>. Let's see you deal with that.

Viciouss said: »
Trump is responsible
Let me guess, Trump is also responsible for 9/11? Benghazi? Obamacare?
By Nausi 2017-07-05 15:49:16
Link | Citer | R

perpetual victimization by some imaginary liberal cabal
Pleebs still thinks it's not real.

I don't care about your made-up hypotheticals. It doesn't make sense to blackmail or coerce this guy. He apologized before contacting CNN. The posters identity was never published but CNN made clear they made no agreement to never post it for whatever reason. Why the *** would you even publish a blackmail threat? Like I said, none of it makes sense.

CNN put out conflicting tweets and the deleted the tweet before hand that contradicted their own story. CNN initially tweeted they contacted him first after they found him.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-07-05 16:03:42
Link | Citer | R

Meanwhile both parties have corroborated *** was not threatened. But I'm sure Don Lemon and Wolf Blitzer were at the guy's house with saw-off shotguns pointed at his dog.
By Bloodrose 2017-07-05 16:06:05
Link | Citer | R

KN and I had a secret bi-partisan discussion about this, in our super secret sexy love nest.

His well stocked bunker full of head-shaking Gordon Ramsay gifs could not convince me to not post in the PnR thread a second time, especially concerning these topics.

Doxxing, as this is referring to it's name of "documenting", or rather, even using public data sources to find and put someone's personal restricted information to identify someone for the purpose of stalking, bullying, or harassment of some kind, be it through up and up means, or hacking and/or other illegal means, is a crime that varies between states.

It's a federal crime if it happens to a public servant for the purpose of harassing them (as an example, cops have done this to other cops and there are detailed records of this when one doesn't tow the will of the local police force), but each state has their own interpretation and set of laws regarding this.

Now, CNN has certainly pulled a *** move, but they have not, by this definition, "Doxxed" the user. They have not released his name for the purpose of harassment, embarrassment, stalking or bullying. However, as I mentioned with KN, this could be argued for a case of coercion, but that would have to be proven in the courts, with all of the facts present and combed through.

Definitely a *** move, and does not look good for CNN, no matter how they spin it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 16:07:48
Link | Citer | R

Bloodrose said: »
in our super secret sexy love nest.
Not so loud!

By Bloodrose 2017-07-05 16:08:02
Link | Citer | R

Don Lemon was wielding a Lime and a coconut.

Wolf Blitzer was wielding a marguerite and a bottle of Jose Cuervo in the shape of a miniature Anderson Cooper wielding a fork with spaghetti.
By Bloodrose 2017-07-05 16:08:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
in our super secret sexy love nest.
Not so loud!

You're so Kawaii when you're angry!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 16:09:03
Link | Citer | R

Also mainly why I stick with the coercion angle, not the "doxxing" or "blackmail" angle.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 16:12:48
Link | Citer | R

What CNN’s Threat To Dox A Redditor Tells Us About The State Of Journalism

Sources are bad for the reality deniers.

Quote:
If you’re going to create nasty memes to get attention, demand people give you credit for those memes, and celebrate when the president of the United States shares one with his 30 million followers, I have no sympathy for you. You’re not a martyr for the cause of free expression. There was a time that anonymity allowed Americans with unpopular or unconventional beliefs to make their arguments without fear of retribution. Today, the Internet has created an environment that incentivizes people to create detestable messages meant to troll and harass.

Then again, this story isn’t really about online harassment or “HanA**holeSolo,” the man who (might have) created a GIF of President Trump body-slamming a wrestler — which I feel the need to reiterate is fake violence — with a CNN logo imposed on his face. The story itself means little. This is about how places like CNN function these days. How they overreact to everything the president does. How many of today’s newsrooms give some people a pass and destroy others.

The search for HanA**holeSolo began before anyone knew he was responsible for anti-Semitic or bigoted posts. CNN tracked down the identity of HanA**holeSolo because he had committed thought crimes, the worst of which was mocking CNN. The story was meant to tie a Trump tweet mocking CNN to a hateful meme-maker and blow up.

That’s because news organizations have become obsessed with fighting Trump rather than covering him. For all the sanctimonious self-championing about the importance of journalism in the Trump era, stories like these have no real purpose. This piece didn’t educate viewers on the underbelly of social media or the habits of the president or anything else. It wasn’t an argument over ideas or policy. It wasn’t entertainment. It was a story birthed from the hysterics that erupted over a silly meme Donald Trump retweeted.

What CNN has done is induce some random troll to grovel and apologize for his wrongthink. Even if we concede that there’s a good reason to track down a meme-maker on Reddit, why doesn’t the network run the name? Without the name, in fact, there is no real story.

CNN claims it kept the poster’s anonymity to protect his safety. Are they saying anti-Trump activists will hurt the man? Are they saying there should be no repercussion for things we say? Is this protection afforded all Americans? Moreover, the piece itself (and the on-air personalities at CNN) dispute the idea that his name was withheld to protect safety. It is clear that if HanA**holeSolo had responded to CNN by saying, “No, I’m not sorry, losers,” he would have been outed.

From the finger-wagging piece:

Quote:
CNN is not publishing ‘HanA**holeSolo’s’ name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again.

Should HanA**holeSolo ever revert to his nefarious meme-making ways, “CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.”

This is a threat. There is simply no other way for an open-minded person to comprehend the meaning of the line. I’ve read thousands of news stories and written a bunch of them, and I can’t think of a single instance I’ve ever run across a similar disclaimer. CNN has absolved the man of his sins. For now. I guess if HanA**holeSolo does anything they deem ugly, the network reserves the right to put him in “danger”?

In a now-deleted tweet, CNN’s oft-confused Chris Cuomo asks: “Should CNN reveal name of Reddit user who made trump wrestling video? Had a lot of bigoted and hateful material on page and website.”

Let’s chew on this question and assertion for a moment: For one thing, although Cuomo happens to be correct in this case, I don’t trust his definition of hate or bigotry. Moreover, are journalistic standards contingent on the target’s political views? If HanA**holeSolo had the wrong opinion on gay marriage or affirmative action, would that be enough to ruin his life? What if he sincerely apologized for these transgressions? Someone should ask Cuomo what the standard should be.

Cuomo, who, to his credit, doesn’t hide his contempt for conservatives or free expression, also tweeted, “if you want to be loud, be proud and own what you say.” Why doesn’t this go for the media’s anonymous sources, who are said to be protecting the republic from Trump? CNN uses anonymous sources — almost wholly — to report on the wrongdoings of the president. Why not loud and proud? Considering how those sources have badly burned CNN on more than one occasion, why do they not feature qualifications like, “CNN reserves the right to publish the identity of these people if they lie to us”? Only terrified, inconsequential Internet goofballs can have their anonymity and livelihoods threatened?

It’s important to remember that this entire controversy sprung from the hysterics surrounding a juvenile presidential tweet. Since the tweet, I have watched many journalists act as if Trump had called the Gestapo into action. This, only a few weeks after an out-and-loud progressive taken in by the frenzy of the day attempted to assassinate Republican congressional leadership, a story most journalists dropped quicker than the middling Trump Twitter troll.

No, this isn’t a First Amendment issue. Just because one of the nation’s most powerful journalistic institutions has the power to track down and ruin the lives of random Reddit users doesn’t mean it should. Just because it can coerce apologies, implicitly or explicitly, doesn’t mean it should, either. At the very least, it’s an abuse of its power and a waste of its resources.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-07-05 16:14:50
Link | Citer | R

See, Pleebo has this argument of, "Why would CNN do something that doesn't make any sense?"

His confusion lies in the fact that he doesn't realize that CNN rarely makes sense in the first place.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-07-05 16:28:34
Link | Citer | R

Yay, a funny. Meanwhile, there's still no motivation for a threat, no corroboration of a threat, and the guy still remains anonymous. I'm sure this'll all literally explode any minute now with the real story.
By Yatenkou 2017-07-05 16:34:27
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.
Meaning they can publish his name should anyone else actually dox him or the story would change in some other way, you chucklefucks. What the hell benefit would CNN get from blackmailing or coercing some random literal *** off the internet? Use the non-lizard parts of your brains once in a while, please.
CNN has been proving that common sense isn't their forte, especially ever since November 8th. Time and time again they've been smacked with facts I don't like, videos circulated about their staff admitting that the Russia thing is all for ratings and it has no weight, some even saying that Trump is justified in calling this all a witch hunt (These are all senior people, not some desk job in the office.) and yet time and time again when they fired Griffin and Azlan, we're reminded how insane they are.

Griffin and Azlan will find work in media somewhere, and CNN'll give them a hand with it, the problem is that CNN right now is so desperate after being smacked by Project Veritas, they'll do anything to seem relevant. After Trump OPENLY TWEETED THAT GIF, that was the last straw and so someone decided to do something. Now you can claim we're using our lizard brains here, but this is the logic. CNN can't stand to lose anymore face than what they've lost already, and so they need to get the person who made that gif to apologize and try to shift the narrative that meme makers are nothing but a bunch of racist bigots. This is what they've been trying to do forever, trying to discredit boards like Reddit, 4chan, Funnyjunk, basically anyone that has the balls to talk smack about the media giants.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-07-05 16:36:06
Link | Citer | R

Yay, a funny. Meanwhile, there's still no motivation for a threat, no corroboration of a threat, and the guy still remains anonymous. I'm sure this'll all literally explode any minute now with the real story.

Where there's smoke there's fire! Don't believe me? It's what CNN has been reporting nonstop for months on end.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2017-07-05 16:36:42
Link | Citer | R

Since we're in the spirit of the CNN bashing season, here's a little gem I always find interesting.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2017-07-05 16:45:22
Link | Citer | R

I really don't like Fox News, but admittedly, they did have a better headline, and a more unifying message, and better quality video.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-07-05 16:50:41
Link | Citer | R

As if reddit and 4chan are something to be feared and not a loose collection of sentient fedoras MAGAing all over each other in between CoD matches. CNN (or any news organization) couldn't give two ***. It would all be a non-story if the president hadn't tweeted his usual garbage.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 17:05:05
Link | Citer | R

As if reddit and 4chan are something to be feared and not a loose collection of sentient fedoras MAGAing all over each other in between CoD matches. CNN (or any news organization) couldn't give two ***.
And yet, CNN did give two ***.

They gave two *** and a handjob. Seriously, they went after the guy.

What part of that do you not understand?

It would all be a non-story if the president hadn't tweeted his usual garbage.
It would be a non-story if CNN didn't do it's usual derangement.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 17:07:55
Link | Citer | R

I mean, it would be just as bad (but almost a dead certainty) if Pleebo were to accuse Republicans for the actions of that baseball shooter a few weeks back.
By Bloodrose 2017-07-05 17:09:56
Link | Citer | R

I'm actually in agreement that CNN *** up BIG TIME.

Even if it doesn't come to the conclusion that they doxxed, or in any way coerced this guy into apologizing, it was without a doubt, a bit of a *** move on their part, considering everything else they should have been covering.

Hell, to Fox News' credit, they were covering more about policies and slip ups of both parties, including the president than CNN had.

I may not have agreed with their reporting or the end game of their discussions, but to be blatantly honest, this time around... *whispers so Fox News can't hear me* they sounded... SANE!
[+]
By Bloodrose 2017-07-05 17:13:20
Link | Citer | R

Now I feel dirty for praising Fox News.

This is why I shouldn't come into PnR.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 17:14:12
Link | Citer | R

Let's all just admit it.

CNN has the worst case of Trump Derangement Syndrome that the world has ever seen. It's almost terminal.

No amount of white knighting from the left will save CNN from this disease.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-07-05 17:15:02
Link | Citer | R

I mean, it would be just as bad (but almost a dead certainty) if Pleebo were to accuse Republicans for the actions of that baseball shooter a few weeks back.
Oh *** off. Stop making ***like this up.

This is just gonna go in circles despite the actual facts. Enjoy your self-imposed victimhood.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 17:15:29
Link | Citer | R

Congrats BR.

You are now one of us.

/hands BR a lifetime membership to the NRA, some hippy repellent, and the book The Art of the Deal.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2017-07-05 17:15:30
Link | Citer | R

And here I thought no one could trump the Trump with Trump Derangement Syndrome.

CNN proved me wrong!
[+]
By Bloodrose 2017-07-05 17:16:18
Link | Citer | R

Congrats BR.

You are now one of us.

/hands BR a lifetime membership to the NRA, some hippy repellent, and the book The Art of the Deal.
The NRA sucks, but the hippy repellent sounds good, and I can use that shitty book as a beer coaster.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 17:16:38
Link | Citer | R

Oh *** off. Stop making ***like this up.

This is just gonna go in circles despite the actual facts. Enjoy your self-imposed victimhood.
I guess I hit close to home.

How's Alex Jones treating ya? Find out why GMOs are bad for you yet?
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-07-05 18:08:15
Link | Citer | R

I read the playlist of these last two pages this morning on right wing watch.

Well all accept the bit where everyone thinks that CNN made a massive bo-bo. But then again that isn't limited to the right wing.

I really don't understand what they were trying to do with their "how we found this *****" story. Pat themselves on the back? If so they not only sprained their wrist, they threw their shoulder out of joint.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-07-05 18:29:01
Link | Citer | R

And an interesting, late breaking piece which has nothing to do with HanA**holeSolo.

Voter fraud commission may have violated law
The Hill

Important excerpts:
Quote:
President Trump’s voter fraud commission may have violated the law by ignoring federal requirements governing requests for information from states....

... Kobach did not address the question of whether his office complied with federal law in issuing its request for public information. And if the commission didn’t follow the rule of law, the resistant states might have another effective argument.

Under the Paperwork Reduction Act, information requests from agencies and other federal entities are supposed to first be submitted to the Office of Management and Budget’s Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA).

This 1980 law requires federal agencies to seek public input, including through a comment period, before a request for information. A 1995 amendment extended OIRA’s authority to include not only requests for information for the government, but also requests for information to the public.

The law also requires that agencies justify their requests for public information, specify how it will be used and provide assurances that data will be protected. The law also obliges the agencies to estimate how many hours it will take entities to respond.

It does not appear that the commission submitted its request to OIRA before sending a letter to states asking for voter information.

Experts say the failure to do so would be significant, since states would be under no obligation to respond to requests that violate federal law....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 19:20:00
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Well all accept the bit where everyone thinks that CNN made a massive bo-bo.
Some people on the left are still denying it.

Ask Pleebo, the White Knight.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 59 60 61