Random Arguments & Strawmen #15

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 46 47 48
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 10:54:33
Link | Citer | R

eliroo said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I question their methodology. Mainly, several of their "key factors" in determining the score, such as:

Maybe, but as much as I respect your economic opinion above mine, I respect that of 13 Economic professors above yours.
So, you are going to say that those obvious flaws in their methodology is reasonable and should be accepted because it plays directly into a personal bias and gives the results you like?
By eliroo 2016-12-02 10:57:27
Link | Citer | R

I question their methodology. Mainly, several of their "key factors" in determining the score, such as:

Maybe, but as much as I respect your economic opinion above mine, I respect that of 13 Economic professors above yours.
So, you are going to say that those obvious flaws in their methodology is reasonable and should be accepted because it plays directly into a personal bias and gives the results you like?

No I am saying that 13 Economic professors are far more qualified when it comes to make a list like this then you are.

If anything you are questioning the methodology because you don't like the results. You aren't considering that these 13 individuals have far more knowledge than either of us on the subject and more than likely considered any potential bias objectively than either of us.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-12-02 11:01:58
Link | Citer | R

13 Economic professors

the sounds like a screw in a light bulb joke...

how many of them ever left the confines of their university safe spaces?
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-02 11:03:49
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
13 Economic professors

Well considering they are giving an economical analysis, their safe spaces don't matter in this instance.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 11:04:03
Link | Citer | R

No I am saying that 13 Economic professors are far more qualified when it comes to make a list like this then you are.

If anything you are questioning the methodology because you don't like the results. You aren't considering that these 13 individuals have far more knowledge than either of us on the subject and more than likely considered any potential bias objectively than either of us.
If this "study" is so great, then why isn't it in any of the expanded lists of economic journals instead of 1 website that practically reiterates what census.gov states in their data?

For all you know, these professors could have the same basis of their studies as Andrew Wakefield has.
By eliroo 2016-12-02 11:08:12
Link | Citer | R

If this "study" is so great, then why isn't it in any of the expanded lists of economic journals instead of 1 website that practically reiterates what census.gov states in their data?

For all you know, these professors could have the same basis of their studies as Andrew Wakefield has.

Potentially this is true, but the fact they are more qualified than both of us still stands. We would need to find another similar analysis done by other experts to get a better idea of how off they are.

I'm not necessarily saying their results shouldn't be questioned, I am saying that neither of us are qualified to question them.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-12-02 11:10:44
Link | Citer | R

13 Economic professors

Well considering they are giving an economical analysis, their safe spaces don't matter in this instance.

they can give their analysis to the auditorium of my hairy *** crack if they have never seen daylight!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 11:15:53
Link | Citer | R

We would need to find another similar analysis done by other experts to get a better idea of how off they are.
It would have to be piecemeal though.

The data is there.

Some projects show state-specific analysis

Some show other types of analysis. (Problem is, I question this methodology also, as there are some biases embedded there too, even though they ranked Texas over Washington)

I guess it just depends on what you consider is most important in determining economic health.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-02 11:19:35
Link | Citer | R

Yatenkou said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Onto more important things, I've been hearing that electors are going to vote against trump, any reliable source of info on this?

Nothing really "reliable". Even the sauciest rumors say that they could get a max of 4-6 electors willing to vote against him, but nothing suggesting that they would vote for Clinton instead. Beyond that, one of the main groups trying to orchestrate this claims to have half a dozen voting against Hillary Clinton, too. I guess the goal would be to destroy faith in the electoral college and not necessarily get Clinton elected. There is no serious threat to Trump.
Ok good good, also I don't wanna spoil any big surprises, but stick to the Wisconsin recount when it's completed, promise you there's gonna be some lovely fireworks.

Welp, the first day of Wisconsin recounts are in. The recount money was well-spent, as Hillary has a net gain of... one vote over the previous tally.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-02 11:22:46
Link | Citer | R

Hopefully this endeavor slaps people back into reality.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 11:24:26
Link | Citer | R

Onto more important things, I've been hearing that electors are going to vote against trump, any reliable source of info on this?

Nothing really "reliable". Even the sauciest rumors say that they could get a max of 4-6 electors willing to vote against him, but nothing suggesting that they would vote for Clinton instead. Beyond that, one of the main groups trying to orchestrate this claims to have half a dozen voting against Hillary Clinton, too. I guess the goal would be to destroy faith in the electoral college and not necessarily get Clinton elected. There is no serious threat to Trump.
Ok good good, also I don't wanna spoil any big surprises, but stick to the Wisconsin recount when it's completed, promise you there's gonna be some lovely fireworks.

Welp, the first day of Wisconsin recounts are in. The recount money was well-spent, as Hillary has a net gain of... one vote over the previous tally.
Worth every penny!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-12-02 11:25:33
Link | Citer | R

It's about as worthwhile as the tens of millions wasted on all the failed investigations and inquiries into HRC lol...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 11:26:17
Link | Citer | R

Here you go Flavin:

By eliroo 2016-12-02 11:27:24
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
It's about as worthwhile as the tens of millions wasted on all the failed investigations and inquiries into HRC lol...

I agree, I wish Clinton would stop wasting tax payers money!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-02 11:42:26
Link | Citer | R

Well, she lost partly as a result of people feeling like they couldn't trust her, sooooooo....

Now, all the money spent by the media to vilify Trump? That was not only wasted, but possibly helped lead to his victory.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2016-12-02 12:53:48
Link | Citer | R

Well, she lost partly as a result of people feeling like they couldn't trust her, sooooooo....

Now, all the money spent by the media to vilify Trump? That was not only wasted, but possibly helped lead to his victory.

That and the blatant identity politics being played all the time. It's like the old saying goes, a man will tell you nothing, but give him a mask and he'll tell you everything.

People voted Trump in the voting booths because no one would see, they could vote how they wanted, and I think that is another factor.

Shame on the MSM for continuing this stupid game, they should be celebrating, because once Soros is out of the picture, their main shareholder goes bye bye, along with his globalism ***.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-12-02 13:01:46
Link | Citer | R

Here you go Flavin:

Those are shiny, on the edges like they've been loose in pants pockets consistently since about 1993.
By eliroo 2016-12-02 13:02:43
Link | Citer | R

That is a big thing, she didn't try to make herself trustworthy. Which honestly would have won her the election. Furthermore she kept doing shady things.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 13:04:56
Link | Citer | R

That is a big thing, she didn't try to make herself trustworthy. Which honestly would have won her the election. Furthermore she kept doing shady things.
It's kindof hard to paint her as trustworthy when constant news of corruption and dissonance was being released practically every day, especially towards the end.

It's not like the MSM wasn't helping to bury said stories, but there were just too many of them to bury all at once.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-12-02 13:16:44
Link | Citer | R

Initiate investigation -> question person's integrity since investigation was initiated. Rinse, repeat. It's wonderfully circular. Nevermind that nothing of substance was ever uncovered. It's the fee-fees that matter.
By eliroo 2016-12-02 13:21:38
Link | Citer | R

Well it helped strengthen the notion that Clinton was a crooked politician who either lied or constantly "forgot" things.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 13:22:13
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Initiate investigation -> question person's integrity since investigation was initiated. Rinse, repeat. It's wonderfully circular. Nevermind that nothing of substance was ever uncovered. It's the fee-fees that matter.
It works (Clinton) and also backfires (Trump)

You just got to make sure it works next time!

Or you could just do a little character assassination (Cain) if you want.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-12-02 13:29:32
Link | Citer | R

Like I said, the feels.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-02 13:31:53
Link | Citer | R

It's not like she didn't try to do the same though. First with Sanders then with Trump about their taxes(though only the latter came up with something*).

*kind of..
"he didn't pay taxes for 20 years!"
"that makes me smart."

I mean, it's a way to look at things..
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-12-02 13:33:55
Link | Citer | R

It's the fee-fees that matter.

Does hatred count as a "fee-fee"?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 13:35:11
Link | Citer | R

It's the fee-fees that matter.

Does hatred count as a "fee-fee"?
Only if it's a non-democrat/liberal.

Otherwise, it's acceptable.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-12-02 13:36:56
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It's not like she didn't try to do the same though. First with Sanders then with Trump about their taxes(though only the latter came up with something*).

*kind of..
"that makes me smart."

I think he is referring to the House Select Committee on Benghazi
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 13:42:13
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

*kind of..
"that makes me smart."

I think he is referring to the House Select Committee on Benghazi
Or the emails.
Or the foundation.
Or the DNC.

There's plenty of scandals about Clinton to go around.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-02 13:47:57
Link | Citer | R

13 Economic professors

the sounds like a screw in a light bulb joke....
It only takes one to order a TA to screw the lightbulb in, but all 13 can't agree on the cost/benifit ratio.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-02 13:49:34
Link | Citer | R

In "More evidence of the MSM and liberals not getting it still" news:

WP Opinion: Double down on the policies that make liberals unpopular because people vote from instinct instead of message

Quote:
As Democrats contemplate their losses in November’s election, most have settled on a solution. They believe that the party needs more economically populist policies. But this misses an essential reality: Most people don’t vote on the basis of policies.

There is excellent research by political scientists and psychologists on why people vote. The conclusion is clear. As Gabriel Lenz writes in his landmark 2012 book, “Follow the Leader?”, “Voters don’t choose between politicians based on policy stances; rather, voters appear to adopt the policies that their favorite politicians prefer.”

And how do voters pick their favorite politicians? It is a gut decision that is more emotional than rational. Mostly it hinges on whether they identify with a politician in the social and psychological senses.

In an important recent book, “Democracy for Realists,” Christopher Achen and Larry Bartels show that “group attachments” and “social identities” are key to understanding voting behavior. Psychologist Jonathan Haidt reinforces this view with mountains of research showing that people choose their political views based on their tribal attachments.

The problem for the Democratic Party is not that its policies aren’t progressive or populist enough. They are already progressive and are substantially more populist than the Republican Party’s on almost every dimension. And yet, over the past decade, Republicans have swept through statehouses, governors’ mansions, Congress and now the White House. Democrats need to understand not just the Trump victory but that broader wave.

The Republican Party has been able to profit electorally at so many levels because it has found a way to emotionally identify with working-class whites as they watch their country get transformed. Globalization, automation and immigration all generate enormous social change. Republicans signal that at a gut level, they are uncomfortable with this change and like America the way it was. That is why states with older, working-class white voters, such as Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin, all have Republican governors and statehouses.

Partly this is a matter of policy (on guns, say), but mostly it is about identity and attachment, conveyed through symbols and signals. In a perceptive essay in the Harvard Business Review, Joan Williams explains that working-class people distrust and disdain professionals — and that the Democratic Party is now a party of professionals. These professionals, in this view, are overeducated urbanites with effete lifestyles (organic food, vegan diets, yoga) who have jobs that are about manipulating words and numbers.

On the other hand, Williams notes, working-class people love the rich. They love, for example, a real estate developer from Queens who actually builds stuff, flaunts his wealth and retains all his basic appetites. When Donald Trump posts a photograph of himself in his plane eating Kentucky Fried Chicken, he is saying to his base, “I’m just like you, only with lots of money.” And in fact, Trump in many ways is a working-class person’s fantasy of what his life would be like if he were rich, from the Vegas-style triplex to the gold-plated fixtures in his plane.

If this emotional attachment is the key to getting people to vote for you, what does this mean for the Democratic Party? It has advantages. It begins with a strong base of people who do identify with it: professionals, working women, minorities, millennials. But it needs to reclaim a larger share of working-class whites. To do this, the Democrats need to understand the politics of symbolism.

Hillary Clinton’s campaign, for instance, should have been centered around one simple theme: that she grew up in a town outside Chicago and lived in Arkansas for two decades. The subliminal message to working-class whites would have been “I know you. I am you.” It was the theme of her husband’s speech introducing her at the Democratic convention, and Bill Clinton’s success has a lot to do with the fact that, brilliant as he is, he can always remind those voters that he knows them. Once reassured, they are then open to his policy ideas.

Barack Obama is a singularly charismatic politician. But he might have made Democrats forget that the three Democrats elected to the White House before his election came from the rural South. They knew that world; they were of it.

With these insights in mind, on the campaign trail, perhaps Clinton and the Democrats should have rallied not with Beyonce and Jay Z but rather with George Strait. And if you don’t know who he is, that’s part of the problem.

So, instead of realizing that their message doesn't resonate with the rest of the nation, they are instead crying for more, stronger, and radical divides than ever before.

Any guesses on how many seats they will lose in 2018?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 46 47 48