Random Politics & Religion #09

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #09
Random Politics & Religion #09
First Page 2 3 ... 51 52 53 54 55
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-08-17 05:34:55
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Well, if people weren't so vehement about their religion and were willing to talk about it, I'd imagine we could actually have a decent amount of discourse. Also, this is technically the Politics and Religion thread, after all.
Very unlikely to have a fruitful and focused discussion in a forum format; where literally anyone can participate. Religion (and any ideology that relates in any way to what one might consider his identity) is, and will remain an especially sensitive topic for most people. I much prefer mano a mano talks.

It's funny how some people are insinuating that whatever misery X country in the Middle East is afflicted with, it's because: religion (Islam in this case).
Because Egypt, Tunisia, Syria etc has all been theocracies, with excellent human rights record.
Or because it's the Muslim military generals who instigate coups and murder elected presidents whenever they dislike him in Turkey.
Maybe it's because no Muslim country has flourished in 14 centuries.

This is a very reductionist approach and therefore lacks accuracy.

It's also amusing that it always comes down to "oh but if you let religion influence legislation, gay rights will be violated!", or "think about the atheists, man".

If people of X belief don't accept homosexual acts or fornication because they consider normalizing them detrimental to their society, immoral, or any other set of reasons they argue for (like this article, or this), they have the right to live according to their rules.

Also, Magnuss kinda assumed that governments hunt gays or atheists, that's not true, not even in Saudi Arabia. There's a difference between outlawing practices and that.
If someone objects: "but they can't be open about it!" well, and about many other things that do not conform to Islam. Just like any country in the world that (reasonably, and I assure you, no religion has been reasoned for as well as Islam) outlaws stuff that doesn't suit it. Refer to the previous paragraph. You don't see Muslims from muslim-majority countries trying to convince Muslims living in the west to campaign for their rights to..polygamy, or marrying your cousins in states where that is considered incest, for instance (it's always about the sex isn't it?). They gotta deal with the consequence of choosing to live in a country where their beliefs are in the minority. Not because the majority opinion is objectively right, not because they can't reason for their minority opinion, but because that's just the way it is - when PoV's are at odds, the majority enforce their opinion.

What I see in the discussions between observant/conservative/whatever Christians and liberals is simply an opposition of wills. Liberals try to pretend that their position is in the middle, but there's no middle in this really. Every party is taking a position, and you're siding with yours. There's no way around this.

This reminds me of a lecture by the Jewish professor Norman Finkelstein that my brother attended during college. It was around 2010, and he spoke about the Palestinian crisis (as usual).

During the Q&A session (Ghazza was extensively bombed less than a year ago):
Student: "So there have been concerns about the status of gay rights in the Ghazza Strip. What are your thoughts on this?"
Finkelstein: "....you have a weird set of priorities".

P.S. it's important to differentiate between theocracy (a nation ruled by someone thought to be appointed by God) and deriving legislation from religious texts. The former has nothing to do with Islam; Muslims can choose to go with democracy or any other model of governance as long as it suits them and achieves the ultimate goal humans have been coming up with these systems for: justice and prosperity for all.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-17 09:08:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
If people of X belief don't accept homosexual acts or fornication because they consider normalizing them detrimental to their society, immoral, or any other set of reasons they argue for (like this article, or this), they have the right to live according to their rules.

I agree that people have the right to live according to whatever crazy rules they feel like making up for themselves. If they want to be level five vegans and not eat anything that casts a shadow.. that's great.

However. The moment they try to force anyone else to live under the same rules is where we run into problems.

As an example, even now in 2016 we have idiots that refuse medical care for their own dying children because of their "religious" beliefs.

We have people that believe they should be allowed to let their children dance around with poisonous snakes and drink diluted poisons to prove their faith in god.

Once you create an exemption for idiotic behavior humans will almost instinctively race to test the very limits of idiocy.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-17 09:11:27
Link | Citer | R

Because Egypt, Tunisia, Syria etc has all been theocracies, with excellent human rights record.

Are you being serious right now?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-17 09:36:24
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I agree that people have the right to live according to whatever crazy rules they feel like making up for themselves. If they want to be level five vegans and not eat anything that casts a shadow.. that's great.

However. The moment they try to force anyone else to live under the same rules is where we run into problems.

As an example, even now in 2016 we have idiots that refuse medical care for their own dying children because of their "religious" beliefs.

We have people that believe they should be allowed to let their children dance around with poisonous snakes and drink diluted poisons to prove their faith in god.

Once you create an exemption for idiotic behavior humans will almost instinctively race to test the very limits of idiocy.

I see your point, but clearly religious people aren't the only ones attempting to force people to follow stupid rules (hello California/New York/etc.). In many cases the only difference between religion and philosophy is the word "God". It's why "separation of church and state" isn't "separation of religion and state". If all of my values come from religious thought, and all of your values come from some the teachings of some secular sociopath, why is it that the latter should be treated with more respect in lawmaking? Every law should stand on its own merit, independent of the source, but as I said before no religious organization should ever be in control of government.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-17 09:42:35
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »

Even right now al-Sisi and al-Assad are globally known for their good heart and respect of human and civil rights.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-17 09:43:35
Link | Citer | R

Hey, having no human rights is an example of an excellent record.

You can't be anything but perfect if you don't have a record period.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-17 10:28:22
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I see your point, but clearly religious people aren't the only ones attempting to force people to follow stupid rules (hello California/New York/etc.). In many cases the only difference between religion and philosophy is the word "God". It's why "separation of church and state" isn't "separation of religion and state". If all of my values come from religious thought, and all of your values come from some the teachings of some secular sociopath, why is it that the latter should be treated with more respect in lawmaking? Every law should stand on its own merit, independent of the source, but as I said before no religious organization should ever be in control of government.

Nothing is true. It's all make believe. Santa, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, everything. We made it all up.

Religion is a desperate attempt to make sense of the incomprehensible to create order out of chaos.

and so is secular society which is why neither works.

the nature of nature, that we are most certainly a part of, is chaos

we created the illusion that we have somehow risen above nature.
it's not true.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-17 10:30:37
Link | Citer | R

Nothing is true. It's all make believe. Santa, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, everything. We made it all up.
Lies!

Santa is real!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-17 10:42:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Lies!

Santa is real!

santa was a real guy...but the part about the magic sleigh pulled by flying reindeer and breaking into your house to deliver your annual bribe for not being a little ***and a terror was all hokum
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-17 10:45:43
Link | Citer | R

Lies!

Santa is real!

santa was a real guy...but the part about the magic sleigh pulled by flying reindeer and breaking into your house to deliver your annual bribe for not being a little ***and a terror was all hokum

"But it worked, didn't it?"

Which is why religion still has a prayer. If you'll pardon the pun.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-17 10:50:20
Link | Citer | R

Lies!

Santa is real!

So that means I can be a bigger ***for now on?

All so I don't have to worry about getting that coal in my stocking this year?

/goes on a shitstorm rampage
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-17 10:51:53
Link | Citer | R

Crap, I'm getting fedora ads now. Tell me P&R isn't becoming Reddit. Surely our bar is higher than that.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-17 10:53:56
Link | Citer | R

Maybe it's because no Muslim country has flourished in 14 centuries.
Going to call BS on this one.

Five Great Islamic Empires

5. The Safavid Empire (1501 to 1736)
4. The Mughal Empire (1526 to 1857)
3. Umayyad Caliphate (661-750)
2. Abbasid Caliphate (750 to 1258)
1.Ottoman Empire (1299 to 1922)
Full descriptions in the link.

Quote:
P.S. it's important to differentiate between theocracy (a nation ruled by someone thought to be appointed by God) and deriving legislation from religious texts....
Wrong. Theocracies are not just rule by the divinely appointed. Israel is a parliamentary democratic theocracy. Saudi Arabia is a hereditary, none divine, monarchy that is also a theocracy. Japan is a constitutional, divinely ruled, monarchy that is not a theocracy.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-17 10:54:52
Link | Citer | R

Crap, I'm getting fedora ads now. Tell me P&R isn't becoming Reddit. Surely our bar is higher than that.

Fedora! Fedora! Fedora! Fedora! Fedora!

Trilby! Bowler! Indiana Jones! Warren G. Harding! G-men! Elliot Ness and the Untouchables!

Dance puppet advertising engine, dance!

ENJOY YOUR PROHIBITION-ERA STYLE ADS NOW!
[+]
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-08-17 10:55:10
Link | Citer | R

The second I see a non-ironic "m'lady", this place gets burned with all the fire, and the ground salted afterward

Taking no chances
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-17 10:55:29
Link | Citer | R

Coming to a store near you:

Politics, Religion, and Fedoras!

[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-17 10:55:57
Link | Citer | R

Lies!

Santa is real!
St. Nicholas was de canonized as being a myth. There was a RL inspiration for Santa though.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-17 10:56:26
Link | Citer | R

Incoming P&R #10: Random Politics & Stylish Headwear
[+]
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-17 10:56:31
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
*Tips fedora* M'lady.

[Fedora Tipping Intensifies]

Burn it, Rooks.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-17 10:58:02
Link | Citer | R

Incoming P&R #10: Random Politics & Stylish Headwear
I don't care what anyone says, a top hat is always #besthat

By Ramyrez 2016-08-17 11:00:24
Link | Citer | R

I am, in fact, a fan of the Indy-style fedora. But it's not a good everyday hat. And a top hat is certainly not something good for daily wear.

Gimme my flat cap.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-17 11:01:48
Link | Citer | R

And a top hat is certainly not something good for daily wear.
Tell that to Lincoln!

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-17 11:05:14
Link | Citer | R

Gimme my flat cap.

Are you from Yorkshire? No?

NO FLAT CAP FOR YOU.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-08-17 11:06:48
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
St. Nicholas was de canonized as being a myth.

citation needed.jpg

by whom and when? he's still a saint / still has a feast day in eastern orthodoxy
By Ramyrez 2016-08-17 11:07:30
Link | Citer | R

Gimme my flat cap.

Are you from Yorkshire? No?

NO FLAT CAP FOR YOU.

I am the proud descendent of Irish American rail and coal workers.

I will wear the hat -- and dance the dance! -- of my people!

Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-17 11:08:13
Link | Citer | R

And a top hat is certainly not something good for daily wear.
Tell that to Lincoln!

Is that pre or post vampire hunting?
[+]
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Cruz Missive 2016-08-17 11:09:01
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

If you know a better place to hide stakes I'd like to hear it
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-17 11:09:39
Link | Citer | R

No joke, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is a really good book.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-17 11:10:24
Link | Citer | R

No joke, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is a really good book.

The movie adaptation was hella fun. Pride, Prejudice and Zombies not so much.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-17 11:11:46
Link | Citer | R

Tell that to Lincoln!

Little known fact about Lincoln's assassination.

The phrase was not merely "sic semper tyrannis," the full statement of the assassin was "sic semper tyrannis de petasi!"
First Page 2 3 ... 51 52 53 54 55