Random Politics & Religion #09

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #09
Random Politics & Religion #09
First Page 2 3 ... 44 45 46 ... 53 54 55
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-13 16:43:49
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-13 17:01:10
Link | Citer | R

Sounds legit.

CNN already covered it like 3 months ago Kojo! Did you miss the headlines and outrage then?
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-13 17:08:37
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Actually, that was Trump who said that about himself, but facts yo.
Is that what the media said? Damn, need to add it to the above!
Trump actually said it. The media merely reported it. But hey! Its the media! They must be making things up!
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-13 17:26:13
Link | Citer | R

Congressional leaders were briefed a year ago on hacking of Democrats
Reuters

Openers:
Quote:
U.S. intelligence officials told top congressional leaders a year ago that Russian hackers were attacking the Democratic Party, three sources familiar with the matter said on Thursday, but the lawmakers were unable to tell the targets about the hacking because the information was so secret.

The disclosure of the Top Secret information would have revealed that U.S. intelligence agencies were continuing to monitor the hacking, as well as the sensitive intelligence sources and the methods they were using to do it.

The material was marked with additional restrictions and assigned a unique codeword, limiting access to a small number of officials who needed to know that U.S. spy agencies had concluded that two Russian intelligence agencies or their proxies were targeting the Democratic National Committee, the central organizing body of the Democratic Party.

The National Security Agency and other intelligence agencies sometimes delay informing targets of foreign intelligence activities under similar circumstances, officials have said....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-13 17:30:00
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Actually, that was Trump who said that about himself, but facts yo.
Is that what the media said? Damn, need to add it to the above!
Trump actually said it. The media merely reported it. But hey! Its the media! They must be making things up!
Oh right, that quote taken out of context when he said he could shoot somebody in NYC and not lose votes.

Completely same as saying that somebody could watch saying that Clinton could shoot somebody's loved ones and not get convicted.....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-13 17:33:18
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Congressional leaders were briefed a year ago on hacking of Democrats
Reuters

Openers:
Quote:
U.S. intelligence officials told top congressional leaders a year ago that Russian hackers were attacking the Democratic Party, three sources familiar with the matter said on Thursday, but the lawmakers were unable to tell the targets about the hacking because the information was so secret.

The disclosure of the Top Secret information would have revealed that U.S. intelligence agencies were continuing to monitor the hacking, as well as the sensitive intelligence sources and the methods they were using to do it.

The material was marked with additional restrictions and assigned a unique codeword, limiting access to a small number of officials who needed to know that U.S. spy agencies had concluded that two Russian intelligence agencies or their proxies were targeting the Democratic National Committee, the central organizing body of the Democratic Party.

The National Security Agency and other intelligence agencies sometimes delay informing targets of foreign intelligence activities under similar circumstances, officials have said....
It's possible they couldn't act on that information because of the security clearance. I mean, if they did act, then they would be revealing top secret information to those outside the government (namely, the DNC).

Don't know who knew what, but whoever it was, they were in a tough position, especially if they were liberals/democrats.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-13 19:41:48
Link | Citer | R

King, the 8 who were briefed, 4 each top GOP and dems couldn't pass the info on.

Quote:
Top Secret
But why didn't assorted U.S. intelligence agencies tell the DNC to check their security? As in lock the freaking barn door before ALL the frelling horses were rustled?

I could really easily spin a conspiracy theory out of this.

/grin
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-13 19:45:57
Link | Citer | R

Queens imam and his assistant shot to death by gunman in attack local Muslims blame on Donald Trump: 'His drama has created Islamophobia'

Quote:
A Lone gunman executed a revered Queens imam and his friend as the pair walked home from Saturday prayers, blasting each in the back of the head without a word, officials said.

Mosque leader Maulama Akonjee and friend Thara Uddin were dressed in Muslim garb when the killer “approached from behind and shot” from point-blank range, said NYPD Deputy Inspector Henry Sautner of the Queens South Detective Bureau.

Akonjee, a married father of three, was a respected religious leader since his arrival in Queens from Bangladesh less than two years ago. The bearded Uddin, 65, died about four hours after the attack.

“We are all crying,” said his brother Mashuk Uddin. “There’s so much crying.”

Queens hookah bar shooting leaves four wounded, two cuffed

Scores of worshipers from the mosque gathered within hours at the murder scene to denounce the cold-blooded ambush as a hate crime.

“That’s not what America is about,” said local resident Khairul Islam, 33. “We blame Donald Trump for this . . . Trump and his drama has created Islamophobia.”

A high-ranking police source said the NYPD hate crimes task force would investigate, but it was “too early to say” what the motive was.

A second source said investigators were considering robbery as a possible motive because one of the men was found carrying several hundred dollars.

The shooter left his victims lying in their own blood just one block from the Al-Furqan Jame Mosque in Ozone Park, where the two victims prayed together only minutes earlier.

Cops had security video and witnesses who saw the killer, with the gun in his hand, sprinting away from the bodies, Sautner said.

The imam’s nephew said Akonjee had no problems with anyone in the neighborhood.

“I’m not sure what kind of an animal would kill that man,” said Rahi Majid, 26. “He would not hurt a fly. You would watch him come down the street and watch the peace he brings.”
Thank you Donald.

Hillary next?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-13 19:46:49
Link | Citer | R

Ninja edit: NY Daily News. Leans right save on Trump.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-13 19:53:32
Link | Citer | R

Yes, Trump has created Islamophobia and not the Muslims that keep on murdering people.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-08-13 19:54:54
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Yes, Trump has created Islamophobia and not the terrorists that keep on murdering people.
ftfy

Of course, this is not to be confused with the American "militias".
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-13 19:55:54
Link | Citer | R

Okay, Muslim terrorists. We can call a spade a spade.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-08-13 20:15:41
Link | Citer | R

Terrorists have no religion of their own, which is why they hijack other people's religions.

Ever notice we never call a Christian terrorist, anything but domestic violence, or a simple terrorist attack, a tragedy, or mass murderer?

But we give religious names to terrorists of another creed or religion to any other but the dominant one in our own country...

Strange days indeed.

DISCUSS!
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-13 20:17:09
Link | Citer | R

Well, the next time a Christian commits mass murder in the name of his religion, then I will gladly call him or her a Christian terrorist.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-13 20:21:43
Link | Citer | R

Don't forget to include every other Christian in existence.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-13 20:24:16
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Cherche said: »
Don't forget to include every other Christian in existence.

What? Not all Muslims are terrorists, just the minority that are. It's stupid to pretend that the religion doesn't have a terrorism problem, though.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-08-13 20:34:13
Link | Citer | R

Well, the next time a Christian commits mass murder in the name of his religion, then I will gladly call him or her a Christian terrorist.
I want you to keep in mind, in this discussion, I'm talking primarily about the fringe elements - they are not as organized in the same militant style as the fringe elements of Islam, but they do exist. They just receive far less media notoriety/coverage because it's not something they think the public wants to hear, or that will shake the foundations of the country's main religious ideology.

That's kind of the catch 22 that I'm talking about.
You don't hear about it, because no one wants to talk about "Christian terrorists murdering people in the name of their religion", or spreading hate, inciting violence, and fear in the name of their religion.

Some people go so far as to defend it as "Freedom of Speech", or "voicing their opinions", etc. so it doesn't get the same sensationalist headlines, and ends up buried in article 44 at the back of the paper with only a few lines of info about a crazed madman.

This may seem like I'm singling out a group of believers, but short of murdering people themselves, the Westboro Baptist Church do everything legally in their powers (family of lawyers, remember?) to spread hate, fear, etc. in the name of their "Christian Religion" (and is probably the most extreme example, while others are less conspicuous), such as literal gay bashing, with fists or weapons, because "it's not accepted in the bible"/"not part of God's plan!"

Now, the argument made is that these people are not real Christians. Or Catholics. And this isn't a rant or tangent against religion or Christianity. The Churches will, however, tell the people that anyone who does so is not a "true Christian". Yet they grew up listening to what these churches have preached, or what they have allowed their pastors to teach young and impressionable minds.
 Sylph.Cherche
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-13 20:37:30
Link | Citer | R

Not how it works here in 'murica.

At least, not according to the "kill all Muslims" crowd.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-13 20:47:25
Link | Citer | R

Bloodrose said: »
This may seem like I'm singling out a group of believers, but short of murdering people themselves, the Westboro Baptist Church do everything legally in their powers (family of lawyers, remember?) to spread hate, fear, etc. in the name of their "Christian Religion" (and is probably the most extreme example, while others are less conspicuous), such as literal gay bashing, with fists or weapons, because "it's not accepted in the bible"/"not part of God's plan!"

The WBC is a terrible, terrible group, but they're not murdering people. Very few people would have reservations about Islam if there weren't Islamist groups wantonly killing innocent people en masse in the name of Allah. You don't see Trump warning people about the Buddhists.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-08-13 21:00:43
Link | Citer | R

Perhaps not violence in the name of Christianity so much as violence, doctrination and secularism in the name of Christian dogma. How about all the murders that occurred against the LGBT community because "it's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve"? How about the textbook nightmare occurring in Texas infringing on inalienable American rights according to the first amendment? Those children are forced to learn about creationism without being informed of the "theory" of evolution. Perhaps we could look into the fact that if you're running for public office and you claim you're not a Christian, you've pretty much just ended your campaign. There's been this constant movement to label Obama as a Muslim and I would argue that even if he was, it doesn't mean he'd run the office any differently. Colin Powell addressed that in 2008:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Christianity isn't just violent, it's the law of the land we live in and every day we sneak ever nearer to a theocracy. "In god we trust"? Let's move back to "E Pluribus Unum", the way it should be.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-08-13 21:01:12
Link | Citer | R

You're being intentionally deflective of what is required of being a terrorist, and I've already stated quite clearly that you can spread hate, fear, and terror, without the need to kill, simply by inciting or justifying violence against a group of people.

The WBC praises those who kill those who they do not see as part of their religious grouping or "people". We need only to look at the banners they held in memoriam of soldiers who die to protect everyone's freedoms, rights, and so forth. "Soldiers are dying because God hates Gays". They also openly mock and incite to violence the people who've lost a loved one at these funerals, and tacitly exploit the most vulnerable time in these peoples' lives, which also invokes hatred, more violence, and terror.

That alone is enough among the legal definition to classify the WBC members as religious terrorists, and why the WBC is labeled as a domestic terrorist group among America's neighbors, and even among some states. And there are groups who have, and have spurred others to spread hate, fear, and terror among specific groups. You know, the textbook definition of terrorism. But let's look at it by moving the goalposts simply because you want to compare militant terrorism of one religion to another, by glossing over the point that was made, because it's not something people are comfortable talking about with their own country's mainstream religion.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-13 21:12:05
Link | Citer | R

I'm not intentionally deflecting anything. Christianity has many problems that need to be worked out. That much is certain. But this tirade is false equivalence. If you want to compare Crusades-era Christianity to what's going on in modern Islam, then that would be a closer approximation. You're trying to compare the WBC to a group that blows people up, beheads people, kidnaps and rapes young girls, and various other atrocities. As much disdain as I have for the WBC, it's stupid to compare them to ISIS.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-08-13 21:22:28
Link | Citer | R

I'm not intentionally deflecting anything. Christianity has many problems that need to be worked out. That much is certain. But this tirade is false equivalence. If you want to compare Crusades-era Christianity to what's going on in modern Islam, then that would be a closer approximation. You're trying to compare the WBC to a group that blows people up, beheads people, kidnaps and rapes young girls, and various other atrocities. As much disdain as I have for the WBC, it's stupid to compare them to ISIS.
No, I'm not comparing them to ISIS. And that's precisely the deflection you used when I asked for a discussion. The argument I went with, was the legal and literal definition used to define a terrorist, and that a terrorist will hijack the representation of a religion, and that there are fringe elements (and specifically said fringe elements, nor that it was an attack on Christianity, but on the coverage or lack there of that these people who act in the name of Christianity do to inspire hate, fear, and terror, or to incite violence against others) of both groups that exist. Let me re-iterate for you:

I'm talking Modern Day to Modern Day.
I want you to keep in mind, in this discussion, I'm talking primarily about the fringe elements - they are not as organized in the same militant style as the fringe elements of Islam, but they do exist. They just receive far less media notoriety/coverage because it's not something they think the public wants to hear, or that will shake the foundations of the country's main religious ideology.

That's kind of the catch 22 that I'm talking about.
You don't hear about it, because no one wants to talk about "Christian terrorists murdering people in the name of their religion", or spreading hate, inciting violence, and fear in the name of their religion.

Some people go so far as to defend it as "Freedom of Speech", or "voicing their opinions", etc. so it doesn't get the same sensationalist headlines, and ends up buried in article 44 at the back of the paper with only a few lines of info about a crazed madman.

Now, the argument made is that these people are not real Christians. Or Catholics. And this isn't a rant or tangent against religion or Christianity. The Churches will, however, tell the people that anyone who does so is not a "true Christian". Yet they grew up listening to what these churches have preached, or what they have allowed their pastors to teach young and impressionable minds.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-08-13 21:44:42
Link | Citer | R

Okay, so you're arguing semantics and I'm arguing something completely different. Groovy, no need to dwell on that then.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-13 21:59:16
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
How about the textbook nightmare occurring in Texas infringing on inalienable American rights according to the first amendment?
That's news to me.

Can you elaborate?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-13 22:00:58
Link | Citer | R

The argument I went with, was the legal and literal definition used to define a terrorist, and that a terrorist will hijack the representation of a religion, and that there are fringe elements (and specifically said fringe elements, nor that it was an attack on Christianity, but on the coverage or lack there of that these people who act in the name of Christianity do to inspire hate, fear, and terror, or to incite violence against others) of both groups that exist. Let me re-iterate for you:
Ok, then let's call a spade a spade:

Terrorists who are using Islam as an excuse is creating Islamophobia, not Trump.

Can you agree to that at the very least?
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-08-13 22:13:39
Link | Citer | R

How about the textbook nightmare occurring in Texas infringing on inalienable American rights according to the first amendment?
That's news to me.

Can you elaborate?
Absolutely.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_texas_public_schools_undermining_the_charter_movement.html

Quote:
When public-school students enrolled in Texas’ largest charter program open their biology workbooks, they will read that the fossil record is “sketchy.” That evolution is “dogma” and an “unproved theory” with no experimental basis. They will be told that leading scientists dispute the mechanisms of evolution and the age of the Earth. These are all lies.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-13 22:28:40
Link | Citer | R

That's news to me.

Can you elaborate?
Absolutely.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_texas_public_schools_undermining_the_charter_movement.html

Quote:
When public-school students enrolled in Texas’ largest charter program open their biology workbooks, they will read that the fossil record is “sketchy.” That evolution is “dogma” and an “unproved theory” with no experimental basis. They will be told that leading scientists dispute the mechanisms of evolution and the age of the Earth. These are all lies.
Ok, this isn't a "Texas only" thing. Even the article stated such.

But what else could I expect from Slate? They are over-exaggerating a lot of it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-13 22:29:50
Link | Citer | R

But I will give you the "infringing on First Amendment Rights" though.

I don't agree with this, but it's not like it's the public school system.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-08-13 22:43:00
Link | Citer | R

But what else could I expect from Slate? They are over-exaggerating a lot of it.
Would an article from Al Jazeera be more to your liking? This one explains that this textbook problem has been happening for at least the last decade.

But I will give you the "infringing on First Amendment Rights" though.
An agreement across the aisle! I'll take it!

I don't take issue with religion in its own right. Many institutions have taken upon themselves to establish that their religions (Christian denominations, Muslim denominations and others) are all encompassing and preaching love and acceptance rather than hatred and secularism. The current pope and his revolutionary vision is proof of that.

However, when someone uses their religion as a means of infringing on other people's rights or trying to use dogma as a means of running the country, that's when I take issue.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 44 45 46 ... 53 54 55