Random Politics & Religion #06

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #06
Random Politics & Religion #06
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 34 35 36
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-06-05 11:34:53
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Waitafricking minuet. Its a comic book superhero movie. They are supposed to be violent. And seeing as how some superheros and supervillains are women they had darn well show violence by and against women.

Or am I missing something here?

You're not. Many of the people upset about this are also people who don't think the men being hit is a big deal. Violence against men in games and movies happens way more but you never hear anything about that
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-06-05 12:36:03
Link | Citer | R

It's wonderful to see fake outrage over something ridiculous finally upsetting people on the left. Perhaps one day we will reach the absurdity tipping point and political correctness will follow segregation into the dark hallways of our foolish past. I have a dream.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-05 12:52:06
Link | Citer | R

Fox goes PC!!!

Fox apologizes for 'X-Men: Apocalypse' ads showing Jennifer Lawrence being strangled

Quote:
New York (CNN)20th Century Fox is apologizing for an "X-Men: Apocalypse" promotional image showing Jennifer Lawrence's character Mystique being strangled by villain Apocalypse.
The grim image was plastered on roadside billboards, posters and is featured in the movie's trailer.
Social media has been smoldering over the ads showing such violence to a woman.

The film studio responded to the backlash by saying that they were removing the image from promotional materials.
"In our enthusiasm to show the villainy of the character Apocalypse we didn't immediately recognize the upsetting connotation of this image in print form," Fox said in a statement. "Once we realized how insensitive it was, we quickly took steps to remove those materials. We apologize for our actions and would never condone violence against women."

People took to Twitter to express their outrage over the seemingly sexist image.

One Twitter user wrote: "The appeal of the X-Men poster showing Jennifer Lawrence being choked is that battery can be fun?"

Fox apologizes for 'X-Men: Apocalypse' ads showing Jennifer Lawrence being strangled

New York (CNN) 20th Century Fox is apologizing for an "X-Men: Apocalypse" promotional image showing Jennifer Lawrence's character Mystique being strangled by villain Apocalypse.
The grim image was plastered on roadside billboards, posters and is featured in the movie's trailer.

Social media has been smoldering over the ads showing such violence to a woman.

The film studio responded to the backlash by saying that they were removing the image from promotional materials.

"In our enthusiasm to show the villainy of the character Apocalypse we didn't immediately recognize the upsetting connotation of this image in print form," Fox said in a statement. "Once we realized how insensitive it was, we quickly took steps to remove those materials. We apologize for our actions and would never condone violence against women."

People took to Twitter to express their outrage over the seemingly sexist image.

One Twitter user wrote: "The appeal of the X-Men poster showing Jennifer Lawrence being choked is that battery can be fun?"

Another user wrote: "Is anyone else bothered by the fact that one of the most prominent advertisements for X-Men: Apocalypse is Jennifer Lawrence being choked?"

This doesn't seem to be affecting the success of Fox's popular franchise, however.

"Apocalypse" opened at the top spot at the North American box office last weekend and has so far grossed over $285 million worldwide.
Waitafricking minuet. Its a comic book superhero movie. They are supposed to be violent. And seeing as how some superheros and supervillains are women they had darn well show violence by and against women.

What you are missing is comic book movies were never good or entertaining !
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-06-05 13:38:38
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
fake outrage
the left
It's not all the left, remember the birther movement?

Yeah, that was fake outrage, the following has never happened;

"You ok, man?"
"No, I'm not doing too good, you know Obama might've been born in Kenya. I dunno what I'm gonna do."

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-05 17:56:14
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
fake outrage
the left
It's not all the left, remember the birther movement?

Yeah, that was fake outrage, the following has never happened;

"You ok, man?"
"No, I'm not doing too good, you know Obama might've been born in Kenya. I dunno what I'm gonna do."

Pro-tip. That birther movement was started by Hillary Clinton's campaign during in 2007 during the 08 campaign.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-05 20:29:37
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

You're not. Many of the people upset about this are also people who don't think the men being hit is a big deal. Violence against men in games and movies happens way more but you never hear anything about that

That's actually a thing script writers do when writing. "Mooks", the random "bad people" who are shot, dismembered, mutilated, and killed in funny ways, are always faceless men instead of women. When they need an emotional reaction, like they want to audience to feel bad or want them to hate the villain, they have the villain hurting a women or a child. Audiences wouldn't not respond well to having hordes of faceless women shot, mutilated, dismembered, or killed in humorous ways.

Deadpool actually makes a joke about that in the scene showing him fighting two women.

"This is confusing! Is it sexist to hurt you? Is it more sexist to not hit you? The line is blurry.”

Then just to make it's point it cuts away without showing him actually killing them, though it has no problem showing him killing hordes of men.

Nobody cares about bad ***happening to adult men, they only care about bad ***happening to women and children.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-06-05 20:34:55
Link | Citer | R

Its a dumb billboard regardless. Plenty of other stills that can be used to better advertise a movie loaded with superheroes + the always worthless Jubilee.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-05 20:40:12
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Pro-tip. That birther movement was started by Hillary Clinton's campaign during in 2007 during the 08 campaign.
That has been disproven. Too lazy and drunk to look it up currently.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-05 22:12:06
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
Nobody cares about bad ***happening to adult white men, they only care about bad ***happening to women and children.
Fixed that for you.

Remember the controversy that happened when the first Star Wars Episode VII trailer was released?

#BlackStormtroopersLivesMatter
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-06-06 08:13:39
Link | Citer | R

http://news.sky.com/story/1707626/euro-2016-fifteen-terror-attacks-foiled

Quote:
Several planned terror attacks during the Euro 2016 tournament in France have been thwarted, according to a Ukrainian security chief.

The head of the state's security services said a Frenchman was detained in the country after making contact with illegal armed groups to buy guns and explosives.

It is claimed that he intended to target Muslim and Jewish places of worship in France, plus administrative buildings and infrastructure such as bridges and railways.

Vasily Gritsak said the unnamed man was arrested in late May on the border with Poland, carrying 125kg of TNT.

The suspect had been tailed since December, Mr Gritsak said, and was seen buying five machine guns, two rocket-propelled grenades, and other weapons.

He also had 100 detonators and 20 balaclavas.

At a news conference he said: "The Frenchman spoke negatively about his government's actions, mass immigration, the spread of Islam and globalisation, and also talked about plans to carry out several terrorist attacks."

Last week the US State Department issued a "potential terrorist attacks" warning for Americans planning to travel to Europe.

The travel alert, which expires on 31 August, made no mention of specific threats to Euro 2016 matches or other events, but warned US citizens to "exercise vigilance" and "avoid crowded places".
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-06 08:33:44
Link | Citer | R

You know, with all these Euro terror attacks, I'm not surprised there was plans for more during the EURO 2016 tournaments.

In fact, I would have been deeply surprised if there wasn't.

Even though this guy isn't part of ISIS, expect ISIS to make an appearance at EURO 2016, but not as a team.
By fonewear 2016-06-06 08:46:08
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Nobody cares about bad ***happening to adult white men, they only care about bad ***happening to women and children.
Fixed that for you.

Remember the controversy that happened when the first Star Wars Episode VII trailer was released?

Every outraged person ever:

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2016-06-06 08:47:45
Link | Citer | R

That's actually a thing script writers do when writing. "Mooks", the random "bad people" who are shot, dismembered, mutilated, and killed in funny ways, are always faceless men instead of women. When they need an emotional reaction, like they want to audience to feel bad or want them to hate the villain, they have the villain hurting a women or a child. Audiences wouldn't not respond well to having hordes of faceless women shot, mutilated, dismembered, or killed in humorous ways.

Deadpool actually makes a joke about that in the scene showing him fighting two women.

"This is confusing! Is it sexist to hurt you? Is it more sexist to not hit you? The line is blurry.”

Then just to make it's point it cuts away without showing him actually killing them, though it has no problem showing him killing hordes of men.

Nobody cares about bad ***happening to adult men, they only care about bad ***happening to women and children.

I agree with this !
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-06-06 09:11:37
Link | Citer | R

Even if it were true that the old Clinton camp started the birthed movement... Does that really absolve republicans from foaming at the mouth to use it it to get Obama disqualified? I mean there are still some people out there that believe he's not American lol...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-06-06 09:14:39
Link | Citer | R

Fixed that for you.

ahhh yes the old white males are so persecuted routine lol... Are you talking about the rage over there being a black storm trooper in the first place when the racist flag let loose in protest over this atrocity that a black storm trooper was allowed to exist in the first place?

Lol you guys are ridiculous though... You criticize others for bemoaning their lot in life when they actually have some truth behind their woes then whine all day about how tough it is to be a white guy in America... It's pretty funny and a bit sad too...
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-06-06 09:23:49
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

Mooks are always expendable. They're the equivalent of filler between important characters. You see this in trash pulls in MMOs but no one laments the life of a Robber Crab or Diatryma. Likewise for film.

Did that bird have a family? Was that crab an artist? A brother? A purveyor of fine goods? No one cares. Mooks are there to accentuate that an important character is X. Where X is whatever the plot dictates.

Men are typically cast as filler because our traditional gender roles dictate women are important, to be held up above men as prizes and reproductive tools. This is in one part because in the past, women were kinda needed to produce children in agricultural societies where labor was required. One part because it credits men with a purpose, to shoulder the burden where women cannot.

Likewise, the idea of offing an innocent, defenseless woman on screen was akin to kicking a puppy. Do you kick puppies? Does anyone like to see innocent, pure, impossibly adorable puppies kicked? Bad for business. Bad for profits. Bad for life.

Yes, I just compared women to puppies because that's the way people think/thought about women and children. It's why you don't have movies where they're knifed mercilessly unless it's used to underline someone being so far depraved they'll be blown to smithereens later on. Likewise with playing a rape card in a movie.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-06-06 09:26:50
Link | Citer | R

Fixed that for you.

Yes, I do.

A bunch of mostly white, basement dwelling racist garbage whined that Finn was black because they felt they owned Star Wars because they were entitled *** nerds who needed a swift kick in the tenderloins.

This same minority whined about Idris Elba as Heimdall because Heimdall is a real Asgardian and Asgardians are all white. Because they're Scandinavian and Marvel cares so much about being true to ancient myths.

When they cast Mephisto, he better be a real demon cast from hell and not another human on screen. Do you know how hard it is for a demon to get a gig in Hollywood?
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-06 09:28:30
Link | Citer | R

I have a PhD in comic books. My dissertation was called "The Critique of Pure Superheroes"
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-06-06 09:35:32
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
I have a PhD in comic books. My dissertation was called "The Critique of Pure Superheroes"

I wrote my FFXIAH dissertation on why Kevin Sorbo was actually Hercules and that Dwayne Johnson playing a Greek Hero was not only deeply insulting to me but a blight on cinema.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-06 09:38:28
Link | Citer | R

Star Wars the Racism Awakens.

Starring Trump Malcolm X Al Sharpton Reverend Jackson and basically everyone at the Young Turks. Watch as they struggle to fight racism in an action packed thriller !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-06-06 09:42:38
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
Star Wars the Racism Awakens.

Starring Trump Malcolm X Al Sharpton Reverend Jackson and basically everyone at the Young Turks. Watch as they struggle to fight racism in an action packed thriller !

Ariana Huffington will be their Nick Fury.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-06 09:48:59
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
This same minority whined about Idris Elba as Heimdall because Heimdall is a real Asgardian and Asgardians are all white
This makes sense though. Let's not get overly sensitive.
If you're portraying vikings it makes sense you only cast white guys, if you pick non whites they're strangers. Banderas in the 13th warrior wasn't a viking, he was an arab dude, the vikings all looked..you know, like vikings.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-06-06 09:54:06
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
This same minority whined about Idris Elba as Heimdall because Heimdall is a real Asgardian and Asgardians are all white
This makes sense though. Let's not get overly sensitive.
If you're portraying vikings it makes sense you only cast white guys, if you pick non whites they're strangers. Banderas in the 13th warrior wasn't a viking, he was an arab dude, the vikings all looked..you know, like vikings.

Holy ***, points for bringing up this movie.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-06-06 09:58:19
Link | Citer | R

Don't forget idris Elba being too "hood" to be James Bond....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-06 10:00:10
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Fixed that for you.

ahhh yes the old white males are so persecuted routine lol... Are you talking about the rage over there being a black storm trooper in the first place when the racist flag let loose in protest over this atrocity that a black storm trooper was allowed to exist in the first place?

Lol you guys are ridiculous though... You criticize others for bemoaning their lot in life when they actually have some truth behind their woes then whine all day about how tough it is to be a white guy in America... It's pretty funny and a bit sad too...
Wow, is that what you got from that?

A person makes an observation and all you do is get defensive about it.

Why don't you go back to not posting before you start more trouble like usual?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-06-06 10:02:08
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Don't forget idris Elba being too "hood" to be James Bond....

I can people would have a problem with casting a black guy as a Viking (although I think Idris was a really cool Heimdall), but James Bond? Who cares, the guy changes faces all the time.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-06-06 10:02:26
Link | Citer | R

can see why*
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 34 35 36