Rules Rewrite (draft)

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Rules rewrite (draft)
Rules rewrite (draft)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-11-08 11:30:56
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
I actually find the old rules are more clear and easier to understand in my opinion. This just seems like its done to cover only the moderators and anyone that falls under their "discretion" has nothing to go back on. "Rules-Lawyering" being the only thing that would benefit someone who felt they were unjustly moderated.

They are the exact same rules with less verbose language. The only actual change is that I made it clear that moderators have some flexibility in punishments.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-11-08 11:34:05
Link | Citer | R

Trust me when I tell you, being the one face of the mod team and seeming to be the one person making the calls on hundreds of users is hard work and results in pointless hatred against you. Jassik is right, mods and admins usually communicate and sometimes make the wrong call, mods are only human and for whatever reason we make the habit of never dropping one mistake even if it's been learned from.

Not every mistake or perceived injustice needs to be put on a velvet pillow and pointed out to the public a month later, they just need to be learned from.
[+]
By Ackeron 2015-11-08 11:35:33
Link | Citer | R

I can't wait for these new rules that are pretty much the exact same as the old rules so I can ban hammer you all!

By Draylo 2015-11-08 11:38:52
Link | Citer | R

Ackeron said: »
I can't wait for these new rules that are pretty much the exact same as the old rules so I can ban hammer you all!

Yeah I'm sure you would like that.

Rooks said: »
They are the exact same rules with less verbose language. The only actual change is that I made it clear that moderators have some flexibility in punishments.

It just seems like most of the rules were deleted and you only added in one general vague one so that mods have open field to justify whatever under something general and not specific. Like I said, it just seems to me like it is only to help moderators and doesn't help any regular user.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-08 11:44:08
Link | Citer | R

Wow. I never thought I'd see populism applied to internet forum rules.

If you see specific differences you don't agree with, feel free to point them out.
By Draylo 2015-11-08 11:44:35
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
Trust me when I tell you, being the one face of the mod team and seeming to be the one person making the calls on hundreds of users is hard work and results in pointless hatred against you. Jassik is right, mods and admins usually communicate and sometimes make the wrong call, mods are only human and for whatever reason we make the habit of never dropping one mistake even if it's been learned from.

Not every mistake or perceived injustice needs to be put on a velvet pillow and pointed out to the public a month later, they just need to be learned from.

Not sure exactly what you are talking about? Nobody said being a moderator was super easy or that your mistakes should be broadcasted to the entire site. Lets be honest, this site doesn't see the traffic it used to. You only have a handful of active posters and suspending people for minor things is hardly the right response.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-11-08 11:45:58
Link | Citer | R

Jassik said: »

If you see specific differences you don't agree with, feel free to point them out.

The thread is discussion about the new rules, if you don't like people discussing it why did you join in? No need to be sarcastic and aggressive.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-08 11:47:55
Link | Citer | R

The thread is discussion about the new rules, if you don't like people discussing it why did you join in? No need to be sarcastic and aggressive.

I wasn't being sarcastic or aggressive, it's levity. The rules presented are a draft and open to discussion. Again, feel free to point out any specific rules you think need another look.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-11-08 11:50:36
Link | Citer | R

Not sure exactly what you are talking about? Nobody said being a moderator was super easy or that your mistakes should be broadcasted to the entire site. Lets be honest, this site doesn't see the traffic it used to. You only have a handful of active posters and suspending people for minor things is hardly the right response.
I'd agree with you there. From what I took from talking to Rooks recently, the new rules are more or less meant to be less strict rather than an "Is this user doing any of these?" check list. The bigger issues are the Google AdSense rules. The newer, less strict rules should mean less bans over minor issues.

Post deleted by User.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-11-08 11:54:07
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
As if the rules are to blame for the moderating "mechahitler 2.0" stuff causing them to have a need to be 'rewritten' for likely the same outcome.
Look at the current rules, they need to be rewritten regardless.

Something-something racial epitaphs.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-08 11:54:31
Link | Citer | R

Change the status of users to a HP system. It regens over time but everytime an infraction is made a chunk is lost(amount based on the seriousness). When your HP reaches 0 you get banned.

Except for Altima who has many extra lives.

Addendum: cash shop for potions to restore HP!
[+]
By Draylo 2015-11-08 11:55:16
Link | Citer | R

I wasn't being sarcastic or aggressive, it's levity. The rules presented are a draft and open to discussion. Again, feel free to point out any specific rules you think need another look.

There is only one rule that I can see, unless some reason the page isn't loading.

vs

A lot are clearly defined rules. I can understand removing the portion about warning > suspension and leaving that up to discretion of the moderators but I don't get why all the rules are removed into one that is generic. If someone feels they were unjustly moderated and goes to an admin, that is fine but it shouldn't happen often in the first place. If a moderator is unwilling to discuss their course of action and actually ignores the person if they are being civil, that is wrong imo and not just rules lawyering.

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-08 11:58:47
Link | Citer | R

There were many, so unless Rooks changed it, I'm guessing that something got lost on the node.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-11-08 11:59:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
I wonder if one get banned for saying "white trash" :P
Only if it's on an epitaph.

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2015-11-08 12:00:33
Link | Citer | R

There were many, so unless Rooks changed it, I'm guessing that something got lost on the node.

Quote:
As with all forums on the internet, we need at least some form of control to keep it from devolving into anarchy and MLP fan-fiction. The old rule list was long, a little verbose, and held a lot of loopholes, so here's an attempt at a more concise rewrite.

First off, let's make it clear that there are two kinds of rules: AdSense-imposed and Administration-imposed. AdSense-imposed rules are utterly non-negotiable, as they're laid down by Google and they don't negotiate in that regard. Administration-imposed rules are rules laid down by the Administrators and Moderators in an attempt to shape the sort of community we want to be. These can be discussed, amended, and changed! They can not, of course, be ignored ;) We're all (in theory) adults here; we'd like this to be a friendly an open community, but it's not a kindergarten either.

These rules apply to all sections of FFXIAH.com and FFXIVPro.com.

AdSense-based rules

Racist behavior or use of racial epithets are strictly prohibited (even in jest). You can discuss the topic of racism itself in P+R, provided it's done with decorum.

Images or videos containing: - strategically covered nudity, sheer or see-through clothing, lewd or provocative poses, or close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches

Any sexual role-playing and/or discussions of sexual activity.

Those are hard requirements and will always be met with post editing (or removal) and warnings or suspensions. Please note that putting things in spoilers doesn't help; that's purely a display issue, it doesn't remove the image/etc from the page.

Our rules

No player warning threads.

Discipline

If you see a post/PM that's violating the rules, please report it - the moderators can't possibly patrol every thread. Abusing the reporting system will get your rights to it revoked.

Rules violations are mostly handled according to a moderator's discretion. This can range anywhere from a simple editing or deletion of a post with a note, to full suspension from the site. If you feel a moderator has acted in error, talk to an administrator (Rooks is currently handling appeals). If you appeal without some clear justification for it, you may be subject to additional discipline.

Culture

We are trying to foster a culture of inclusion. Everyone is equal here, without concern for sex, gender, color, creed, or any other attribute (except love of bad MLP fan fiction, which is a federally protected class to discriminate against).

Obvious jokes

Yes, the MLP references are jokes, as far as you know

Thank you for your support of our site. Please find me if you have any questions on concerns.
--Rooks

Those are the only things I see. The adsense rules are obvious and not what I was referring to being changed.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-08 12:01:51
Link | Citer | R

Yes, it appears there is an issue with the node, unless Rooks changed it. Holding pattern commence.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-11-08 12:03:27
Link | Citer | R

mods are only human
It's only human to let something like Krizz ever happen.

Meanwhile, there are forums that have been running for 15 years with 100 times more active users and the same amount of mod per sub forum and yet, it has never happened.

A moderator is nothing but a policeman, all they do is blindly apply rules. The problem comes from the person above, the "manager" (it's the same as your working place, managers are by default incompetent), who's absolutely unable to 1) give a proper framework with thought through rules and 2) manage what the *** is going on.

It's exactly like any job ever, the issue is never at the bottom of the ladder but at the upper echelons. I wouldn't be mad at Krizz or whoever else for what happened, I would be mad/laugh at whoever allowed it to happen. Puppets cannot be held responsible for what the puppeteer "forces" them to do.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-11-08 12:04:02
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
As with all forums on the internet, we need at least some form of control to keep it from devolving into anarchy and MLP fan-fiction. The old rule list was long, a little verbose, and held a lot of loopholes, so here's an attempt at a more concise rewrite. First off, let's make it clear that there are two kinds of rules: AdSense-imposed and Administration-imposed. AdSense-imposed rules are utterly non-negotiable, as they're laid down by Google and they don't negotiate in that regard. Administration-imposed rules are rules laid down by the Administrators and Moderators in an attempt to shape the sort of community we want to be. These can be discussed, amended, and changed! They can not, of course, be ignored ;) We're all (in theory) adults here; we'd like this to be a friendly an open community, but it's not a kindergarten either. These rules apply to all sections of FFXIAH.com and FFXIVPro.com.

AdSense-based rules
  • Racist behavior or use of racial epithets are strictly prohibited (even in jest). You can discuss the topic of racism itself in P+R, provided it's done with decorum.

• Images or videos containing: - strategically covered nudity, sheer or see-through clothing, lewd or provocative poses, or close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches

• Any sexual role-playing and/or discussions of sexual activity.

Those are hard requirements and will always be met with post editing (or removal) and warnings or suspensions. Please note that putting things in spoilers doesn't help; that's purely a display issue, it doesn't remove the image/etc from the page.

Our rules
  • No player warning threads.

• Windower and its addons/plugins are okay to talk about, but anything that rises to the level of "bot" is forbidden.

• No contest threads that require an external site. If you really want/need to do that, ask a moderator first.

• Don't post private messages in public without consent of both parties. If a PM is breaking rules, it can be sent to a moderator. Any PMs sent to a moderator/admin in the course of their duties can be shared among the administration.

• Don't post any personal real-life identifiable information or images about a particular user without their permission.

• Don't insult or attack other users.

• Don't harass other users. Harassment in this context is defined as following them around threads, unwanted PMs, and excessive behavior targeting someone else in general.

• Don't quote rule-breaking posts.

• Don't give threads stupid or misleading titles.

• Don't flood topics.

• Don't derail topics.

• Don't abuse the BBCode system.

• Don't provoke other users. The phrase "trolling" gets tossed around to mean all sorts of random nonsense, so I'm going with a word everyone here should understand.

• Don't be hostile. It's possible to disagree or convey irritation without attacking people.

• Don't sue us.

• Don't be a jerk. If a moderator shows up on your doorstep and you have to ask "What rule did I break?", the odds are pretty good that it's this one. (Shoutout to BG for the inspiration)

Discipline If you see a post/PM that's violating the rules, please report it - the moderators can't possibly patrol every thread. Abusing the reporting system will get your rights to it revoked. Rules violations are mostly handled according to a moderator's discretion. This can range anywhere from a simple editing or deletion of a post with a note, to full suspension from the site. If you feel a moderator has acted in error, talk to an administrator (Rooks is currently handling appeals). If you appeal without some clear justification for it, you may be subject to additional discipline.

Culture We are trying to foster a culture of inclusion. Everyone is equal here, without concern for sex, gender, color, creed, or any other attribute (except love of bad MLP fan fiction, which is a federally protected class to discriminate against).

Obvious jokes Yes, the MLP references are jokes, as far as you know Thank you for your support of our site.

Please find me if you have any questions on concerns. --Rooks

Pre-issue draft.

EDIT: P.S. Fricken Niko...
[+]
By Draylo 2015-11-08 12:09:36
Link | Citer | R

Okay that makes more sense lol
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-11-08 12:10:19
Link | Citer | R

Okay that makes more sense lol
When I looked at it, I was like "WTF?! Where'd they all go?"
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-08 12:11:12
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
mods are only human

Meanwhile, there are forums that have been running for 15 years with 100 times more active users and the same amount of mod per sub forum and yet, it has never happened.

A moderator is nothing but a policeman, all they do is blindly apply rules. The problem comes from the person above, the "manager" (it's the same as your working place, managers are by default incompetent), who's absolutely unable to 1) give a proper framework with thought through rules and 2) manage what the *** is going on.

It's exactly like any job ever, the issue is never at the bottom of the ladder but at the upper echelons. I wouldn't be mad at Krizz or whoever else for what happened, I would be mad/laugh at whoever allowed it to happen. Puppets cannot be held responsible for what the puppeteer "forces" them to do.

Well said, and that is a primary reason for reworking the rules. We have a very active Admin right now who is dedicated to building and aiding the community. The mods are only doing what they're asked to do, and temperance is being designed into the process.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-11-08 12:13:35
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Ssshh shh shh... the bad man can't hurt you, anymore.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Serveur: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-11-08 12:23:15
Link | Citer | R

TheManWithTheGoldenHand said:
Don't quote rule-breaking posts.
I understand the intent behind this, but the feasibility is questionable.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2015-11-08 12:24:46
Link | Citer | R

[+]