Are All Terrorists Muslims? It’s Not Even Close

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are All Terrorists Muslims? It’s Not Even Close
Are All Terrorists Muslims? It’s Not Even Close
First Page 2 3 4 ... 23 24 25
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 09:55:12
Link | Citer | R

charlo999 said: »
This is what I used to think but.
You need to look at it from a different point of view.
Look at god as a father. It is easier to do this if you are a father yourself.
His teachings are to aid us not confine us. As any father would do to a son. And for the same reason we teach our children morales and good. Why is this?
To enforce a happier life. Not matter how much your child rebels.
Also to respect your father is to learn humility. Something lost in the current world of self importance.
Think of scriptures as learning tools for our own benifit. And not tools for controlling us.
Do you not tell your children to do something's and they do it on the faith they have that your doing right by them. Even if you have to use tough love.

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 09:56:01
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Sieha said: »
labels help people assign emotions to what is going on. if you just say some guy has a hostage then yes that is bad but people wont be talking about it for days. The news is the real terrorist. they use buzz words, labels and selective reporting to get ratings and money.

also to control public thought and mask the movements of the Illuminati.

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 09:56:21
Link | Citer | R

Remember the saying, there can be no love without trust/faith.
But blind trust/faith is not love.
By charlo999 2015-01-16 09:58:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Think of scriptures as learning tools for our own benifit. And not tools for controlling us.
Except that's not how it worked in human history, nor how it works in current history (with Islam).

There has been many wars and campaigns (also crusades) where the main goal is to expand religion. Heck, the Mayans were eradicated because of the expansion of Christianity.

The Romans did it. The Greeks did it. The English did it. The French did it. The Germans did it. The Russians did it. The Chinese did it. The Japanese did it (somewhat).

In fact, it is historically proven that the church had more control and power at various points in time than the state had.

I've already stated that I agree with everything you say here. That humans have done a great job of using religion as a weapon
You believe that the scriptures are a tool for learning, but it's really a tool for control. That's why I pulled that one sentence out to show you that you cannot say that religion isn't used for control, but humans used religion as a weapon...

Don't know where your going here.
I've said it's wrongly used for control.
When it should be used as a tool for leasing a fore-filling happy life.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 10:06:03
Link | Citer | R

Except that's not how it worked in human history, nor how it works in current history (with Islam).

There has been many wars and campaigns (also crusades) where the main goal is to expand religion. Heck, the Mayans were eradicated because of the expansion of Christianity.

The Romans did it. The Greeks did it. The English did it. The French did it. The Germans did it. The Russians did it. The Chinese did it. The Japanese did it (somewhat).

In fact, it is historically proven that the church had more control and power at various points in time than the state had.

I've already stated that I agree with everything you say here. That humans have done a great job of using religion as a weapon
You believe that the scriptures are a tool for learning, but it's really a tool for control. That's why I pulled that one sentence out to show you that you cannot say that religion isn't used for control, but humans used religion as a weapon...

You really believe that the intent and purpose of religion is to promote a happy life?

For millennium the basis and message of Christianity and Judaism is the promise the relief of the common people's suffering by blindly following their religion. The message has only been changed in the past 75-100 years!

Islam, while still in it's infant stages of religion, also promises relief of today's misery by blindly follow their religion. Buddhism also practices that on it's acolytes (but not so much on their followers).

Religion was created by a very smart person to control the masses into believing in a life after death. Another very smart person took that control and expanded it for war.
 Asura.Alexandero
user: jalexan4
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-01-16 10:06:41
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Asura.Alexandero said: »
I'll agree that religion is a basis for a huge amount of evil and bloodshed in the world.
But I believe it's a direct result of man using it as such. Also to control and divide people.
Which is the biggest sadness I've seen, because at its core teachings, are good values and love.
I can see how it's an easy thing to blame on a whole given the state of the world. And how atheism can be an easy chose. I was myself for as long as I can remember until I gave the scriptures some time.

I have a few atheist friends. The biggest problem that they have, is being unable to separate religion from God. Of course, I guess religious people have that issue too. I love Christopher Hitchens, in fact, I agree with every single thing he says. I also believe in a higher entity. The only way that I can agree with Chris Hitchens, and believe in God, is if religion has nothing to do with God.

Religion is a man-made construct. It's a belief set dictated by doctrine. For that reason, it will be just as imperfect and screwed up as the men that make it. Whether or not God exists has nothing to do with religion. You can drop a nuke on the whole world and completely kill every human being, thus killing religion at the same time, and that has no effect whatsoever on whether God exists or not.

Believe what you think is right. If you are making a decision about God on scientific evidence, then youre an idiot. The existence of God is not something science can ever prove or disprove. Science is designed for natural observable phenomenon, which God is not.

The proof? Think of it this way, if God does not exist, then you atheists are right, there is no evidence for God. However, if God does exists, then every single thing from the farthest galaxy to the smallest sub-atomic particle is not only evidence but proof. You just have to figure out whether you think he is there or not.

Sorry for the sermon. Religious people give God a bad name. Unfortunately, people convert to atheism because they can't tell the difference between religion and God.

Edit: I don't understand what people find so unrealistic about a consciousness existing in higher dimensions than ours. We humans have it covered up to the 4th dimension (Time). Why do we think that this is as far as something "alive" can go?

So basically you're an agnostic, disbelieving in religion, but keeping open the possibility of some greater cosmic being who put into motion everything we observe.

I don't really have a problem with that. I don't necessarily agree, but as long as it gels with observable scientific facts I can't say you're wrong, either. Hell, I guess maybe I AM the same as you in that regard. But my acceptance of the possibility of some greater cosmic entity doesn't mean much in the scheme of the day to day here on our little blue planet. The idea of the Bible's "Jehova", so to speak, is utterly ridiculous, as are the contents/implications of every other "holy book" out there.

See, you've just proved my point. No, I believe in God. No, I'm not religious. My beliefs are not dictated by any church. Stop confusing the two.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 10:07:18
Link | Citer | R

Remember the saying, there can be no love without trust/faith.
But blind trust/faith is not love.

Trust and faith need not involve bearded men living in the sky judging you.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 10:10:26
Link | Citer | R

See, you've just proved my point. No, I believe in God. No, I'm not religious. My beliefs are not dictated by any church. Stop confusing the two.

But do you pray, thinking it does anything?

Do you think this god has any interest in what's going on here on this planet?

I'm not confusing anything. I accept the possibility of a higher level of intelligence than humans in the universe, and perhaps that power has the ability to create on a cosmic level. I can't say.

But I can say that if there is any higher being watching over Earth, guiding actions or effecting change, that being is sick, twisted, and so detatched from anything we consider "right" as to be inherantly malignant.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 10:11:12
Link | Citer | R

I'll agree that religion is a basis for a huge amount of evil and bloodshed in the world.
But I believe it's a direct result of man using it as such. Also to control and divide people.
Which is the biggest sadness I've seen, because at its core teachings, are good values and love.
I can see how it's an easy thing to blame on a whole given the state of the world. And how atheism can be an easy chose. I was myself for as long as I can remember until I gave the scriptures some time.

I have a few atheist friends. The biggest problem that they have, is being unable to separate religion from God. Of course, I guess religious people have that issue too. I love Christopher Hitchens, in fact, I agree with every single thing he says. I also believe in a higher entity. The only way that I can agree with Chris Hitchens, and believe in God, is if religion has nothing to do with God.

Religion is a man-made construct. It's a belief set dictated by doctrine. For that reason, it will be just as imperfect and screwed up as the men that make it. Whether or not God exists has nothing to do with religion. You can drop a nuke on the whole world and completely kill every human being, thus killing religion at the same time, and that has no effect whatsoever on whether God exists or not.

Believe what you think is right. If you are making a decision about God on scientific evidence, then youre an idiot. The existence of God is not something science can ever prove or disprove. Science is designed for natural observable phenomenon, which God is not.

The proof? Think of it this way, if God does not exist, then you atheists are right, there is no evidence for God. However, if God does exists, then every single thing from the farthest galaxy to the smallest sub-atomic particle is not only evidence but proof. You just have to figure out whether you think he is there or not.

Sorry for the sermon. Religious people give God a bad name. Unfortunately, people convert to atheism because they can't tell the difference between religion and God.

Edit: I don't understand what people find so unrealistic about a consciousness existing in higher dimensions than ours. We humans have it covered up to the 4th dimension (Time). Why do we think that this is as far as something "alive" can go?

So basically you're an agnostic, disbelieving in religion, but keeping open the possibility of some greater cosmic being who put into motion everything we observe.

I don't really have a problem with that. I don't necessarily agree, but as long as it gels with observable scientific facts I can't say you're wrong, either. Hell, I guess maybe I AM the same as you in that regard. But my acceptance of the possibility of some greater cosmic entity doesn't mean much in the scheme of the day to day here on our little blue planet. The idea of the Bible's "Jehova", so to speak, is utterly ridiculous, as are the contents/implications of every other "holy book" out there.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Alexandero
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-01-16 10:22:09
Link | Citer | R

I'm not confusing anything. I accept the possibility of a higher level of intelligence than humans in the universe, and perhaps that power has the ability to create on a cosmic level. I can't say.

But I can say that if there is any higher being watching over Earth, guiding actions or effecting change, that being is sick, twisted, and so detatched from anything we consider "right" as to be inherantly malignant.

Well, whether I pray, and how I "feel" about that prayer, is subjective. I can't argue "feelings" with anyone. However, I've heard the argument, "Well, if God is real, why would he really care about what happens on Earth?" My answer to that, is what else is there to care about? Inanimate objects revolving around stars?

Also, the argument that, "Well, if there is a God then he is an *** because of all the evil in the world." doesn't add up either. If you had a choice between being a programmed robot or free willed being, would you not choose free will? If that is what we have, a choice between doing right and wrong, do you not think some people will choose wrong? If you say, "Well, God is all powerful, he should stop it then.", aren't you kind of losing free will if God only allows us to make good choices?

It's like your wife saying, "Hon, you can pick where you want to eat tonight as long as you choose Applebee's." ...That makes no sense.
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-16 10:25:34
Link | Citer | R

If it's not dictated by a church, which God do you believe in?

There have been thousands throughout history
[+]
 Asura.Alexandero
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-01-16 10:26:00
Link | Citer | R

Lol, see. Gah, this frustrates the crap out of me! Religion =/= God. If people never existed, thus religion never existed, that doesn't change whether or not God, in actuality, exists. The Earth revolved around the Sun despite us believing the Sun revolved around the Earth.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 10:29:06
Link | Citer | R

Well, whether I pray, and how I "feel" about that prayer, is subjective. I can't argue "feelings" with anyone. However, I've heard the argument, "Well, if God is real, why would he really care about what happens on Earth?" My answer to that, is what else is there to care about? Inanimate objects revolving around stars?

Also, the argument that, "Well, if there is a God then he is an *** because of all the evil in the world." doesn't add up either. If you had a choice between being a programmed robot or free willed being, would you not choose free will? If that is what we have, a choice between doing right and wrong, do you not think some people will choose wrong? If you say, "Well, God is all powerful, he should stop it then.", aren't you kind of losing free will if God only allows us to make good choices?

It's like your wife saying, "Hon, you can pick where you want to eat tonight as long as you choose Applebee's." ...That makes no sense.

At fisrt I thought you may be reasonable. I see I was wrong. Please remove yourself to the potato thread. That's where you belong.
By charlo999 2015-01-16 10:32:10
Link | Citer | R

You really believe that the intent and purpose of religion is to promote a happy life?

For millennium the basis and message of Christianity and Judaism is the promise the relief of the common people's suffering by blindly following their religion. The message has only been changed in the past 75-100 years!

Islam, while still in it's infant stages of religion, also promises relief of today's misery by blindly follow their religion. Buddhism also practices that on it's acolytes (but not so much on their followers).

Religion was created by a very smart person to control the masses into believing in a life after death. Another very smart person took that control and expanded it for war.

Then you have totally missed the point of either religion.
Jesus(translation of a translation of his Hebrew name) told us to love each other and treat your neighbour as you would want to be treated.
God gave the commandments of good morals to the Jews.
The quran has good moral teachings too.
As does bhuddism belief in reincarnation until you reach a purity of good by learning to be better in each life.
These are the basis of a happier life.
Unless your telling me a sinful life leads to a happy one.
As for life after death. Well it's taught we already have it. The only way a person can't revive it if if they deny themselves it.

This is a good explanation

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Leysritt
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Leysritt
By Ragnarok.Leysritt 2015-01-16 10:34:48
Link | Citer | R

I stopped believing in religion when someone preached so long as you are saved and baptized, you'll go to heaven no matter what. You can have it done, then be a total piece of ***to everyone while good people who don't believe in Christianity are the ones who go to hell.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 10:35:12
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Why would you believe in a god who has no power, is useless, doesn't care and won't do anything ever?

Their idea of a Holy Father sounds suspiciously like my real father, when you put it like that.
 Asura.Alexandero
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-01-16 10:35:19
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »

Ok, let me try and make this as short as I can. Let's say, hypothetically, there is a being that exists in dimensions higher than we can perceive. We know those dimensions are there, our eyes are just not capable of perceiving them. It would be like trying to get a stick man to see a ball.

So, with the assumption that a being in a higher dimension exists, we have to figure out whether this God is a personal God, or just hanging out in his dimension doing his own thing. Well, since me and you do actually exist, we would assume he created our reality. However, that doesn't mean that he is a personal god. As I argued earlier though, if he isn't concerned with us and isn't a personal god, what would he be concerned with? Is life not the most complex thing in our universe (that we know of)? Would he be more concerned with an inanimate planet?

So, now that we've determined that he, in all probability, would be a personal God. Then you lose the need for religion. My wife divorced me because I didn't go to church. The Christian argument, "To have a relationship with God, you need to go to church" never made sense to me. You can't claim on one hand that he is a personal god that we can pray to, then claim I have to go to church to pray to him. That's stupid. I don't buy it.

To address the 1000's of religions thing. I hear this one alot too. Assuming that God exists, and we have never actually met him in person, then, and this is my personal opinion based on rationality, all religions are simply attempts to describe something we don't know how to describe. People are vastly different, so you would expect religion, being man-made, to also be vastly different. Put two people in the same situation and you get two different accounts of what happened. We perceive things differently than those around us. It would only be natural for us to have different descriptions of something we don't know how to describe. Hence, religions are borne.
 Asura.Alexandero
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-01-16 10:41:38
Link | Citer | R

At fisrt I thought you may be reasonable. I see I was wrong. Please remove yourself to the potato thread. That's where you belong.

I'll debate with you using rationality. I'm not going to try and justify a subjective feeling. I can't rationally debate a certain womans beauty to someone who doesn't perceive her to be beautiful. Your retort to my argument, being, "I thought you were reasonable. I see I was wrong." is an opinion. That isn't a rational argument. You could have just said, "I don't "like" what you said, so Im just going to stop listening." Who is being unreasonable here. If you have an issue with something I said, give a good argument to the contrary. You can't just say, "Your not reasonable because I said so."
 Bahamut.Milamber
Serveur: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-16 10:44:16
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »

Ok, let me try and make this as short as I can. Let's say, hypothetically, there is a being that exists in dimensions higher than we can perceive. We know those dimensions are there, our eyes are just not capable of perceiving them. It would be like trying to get a stick man to see a ball.

So, with the assumption that a being in a higher dimension exists, we have to figure out whether this God is a personal God, or just hanging out in his dimension doing his own thing. Well, since me and you do actually exist, we would assume he created our reality. However, that doesn't mean that he is a personal god. As I argued earlier though, if he isn't concerned with us and isn't a personal god, what would he be concerned with? Is life not the most complex thing in our universe (that we know of)? Would he be more concerned with an inanimate planet?

So, now that we've determined that he, in all probability, would be a personal God. Then you lose the need for religion. My wife divorced me because I didn't go to church. The Christian argument, "To have a relationship with God, you need to go to church" never made sense to me. You can't claim on one hand that he is a personal god that we can pray to, then claim I have to go to church to pray to him. That's stupid. I don't buy it.

To address the 1000's of religions thing. I hear this one alot too. Assuming that God exists, and we have never actually met him in person, then, and this is my personal opinion based on rationality, all religions are simply attempts to describe something we don't know how to describe. People are vastly different, so you would expect religion, being man-made, to also be vastly different. Put two people in the same situation and you get two different accounts of what happened. We perceive things differently than those around us. It would only be natural for us to have different descriptions of something we don't know how to describe. Hence, religions are borne.
So TL;DR version:
Turtles all the way down.
Calling (or implying) your wife/her thoughts stupid is a good way to get a divorce.
Rationality is something that is based on opinions, not logical thought or recordable observations.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 10:45:16
Link | Citer | R

Jesus(translation of a translation of his Hebrew name) told us to love each other and treat your neighbour as you would want to be treated.
As for life after death. Well it's taught we already have it. The only way a person can't revive it if if they deny themselves it.

Quoting morals from society isn't the same as the intent of religion.

Do you honestly believe that, if some book written by human hands, did not give these 10 commandments, that society wouldn't have given it's own version of the same 10 commandments?

You are also referring that the only way to be happy in one's life is to follow what some fictional character in a book says you should do.

I'm not religious at all. But yet, I'm very satisfied and happy with my life, not because a "God" dictates it, but because I choose to be happy with my life.

Another thing: life after death isn't like someone cast Reraise on you before you died. The idea of life after death came from the concept that if you give your life for a cause (religion), then you will have a continued existence after you die, as long as you do what the cause states without question.

If the cause tells you to jump, you jump without question.
If the cause tells you to fight in a war, you fight without question.
If the cause tells you to sacrifice yourself, you take that bomb and blow yourself up without question.

That is the type of control that was preached in the Middle Ages, and what is being preached in the Middle East now.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-16 10:48:11
Link | Citer | R

I'll debate with you using rationality. I'm not going to try and justify a subjective feeling. I can't rationally debate a certain womans beauty to someone who doesn't perceive her to be beautiful. Your retort to my argument, being, "I thought you were reasonable. I see I was wrong." is an opinion. That isn't a rational argument. You could have just said, "I don't "like" what you said, so Im just going to stop listening." Who is being unreasonable here. If you have an issue with something I said, give a good argument to the contrary. You can't just say, "Your not reasonable because I said so."

Nothing you've said is remotely rational. You've developed your own little personal religion (I'm sorry, "belief structure") in your head and you're spitting it out. You're insulting religion despite doing the same thing religions do. You're saying "I'm right because obviously this is how it is".
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 10:50:37
Link | Citer | R

You're saying "I'm right because obviously this is how it is".
For Truth and Justice!!!!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-01-16 10:52:36
Link | Citer | R

I

Quoting morals from society isn't the same as the intent of religion.

Do you honestly believe that, if some book written by human hands, did not give these 10 commandments, that society wouldn't have given it's own version of the same 10 commandments?

You are also referring that the only way to be happy in one's life is to follow what some fictional character in a book says you should do.

I'm not religious at all. But yet, I'm very satisfied and happy with my life, not because a "God" dictates it, but because I choose to be happy with my life.

Another thing: life after death isn't like someone cast Reraise on you before you died. The idea of life after death came from the concept that if you give your life for a cause (religion), then you will have a continued existence after you die, as long as you do what the cause states without question.

If the cause tells you to jump, you jump without question.
If the cause tells you to fight in a war, you fight without question.
If the cause tells you to sacrifice yourself, you take that bomb and blow yourself up without question.

That is the type of control that was preached in the Middle Ages, and what is being preached in the Middle East now.
was quoting from the old and new testaments not society.
No ones telling you to follow them apart from the man made religious groups trying to use scripture for there own agendas.
The teachings are for the readers benefit. Take it or leave it though that is free will. Don't mix up human desires with the scriptures though.
I'm happy that your happy with your life btw.
 Asura.Alexandero
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-01-16 10:56:09
Link | Citer | R

Nothing you've said is remotely rational. You've developed your own little personal religion (I'm sorry, "belief structure") in your head and you're spitting it out. You're insulting religion despite doing the same thing religions do. You're saying "I'm right because obviously this is how it is".

Lol, wow, you are so off on this one. Yes, I've developed my own beliefs, I would hope that you do too. I insult religion because it keeps people from forming their own beliefs. Instead it tells you what you should believe. This keeps people from asking questions and doing their own research. Im doing none of what you said, I don't expect, nor do I even want someone else to believe what I believe, unless they arrive to that conclusion on their own. To the contrary, all religions say my way is right, and it's the only way. I say, my way is right for me. You decide what is right for you. As long as you don't expect me to conform to your way, then believe whatever conclusions you reach on your own.

You want to live in a peaceful world? Stop expecting other people to live by your standards or right and wrong. This is precisely why religion is dangerous. I don't expect that, nor do I want that.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 10:58:58
Link | Citer | R

was quoting from the old and new testaments not society.
Who wrote the Old and New Testaments, btw? Was it God, or was it some human?

No ones telling you to follow them apart from the man made religious groups trying to use scripture for there own agendas.
Let's be clear on this:

EVERY SINGLE RELIGION IN EXISTENCE IS MAN MADE!

There is no religion ever that was not man made.

How can you tell me to follow religion, but not those "man made ones" when they are all man made?

The teachings are for the readers benefit. Take it or leave it though that is free will. Don't mix up human desires with the scriptures though.
Don't use religion as a crutch for making decisions then.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 10:59:46
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Let's say, hypothetically, there is a being that exists in dimensions higher than we can perceive. We know those dimensions are there, our eyes are just not capable of perceiving them.

No, there is no proof of any other dimensions, only wild theories. The closest thing to a 4th dimension would be time.
You mean, there's another dimension besides the 1st?

/mindblown.jpg
First Page 2 3 4 ... 23 24 25