Teach Me The RUN.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Teach me the RUN.
Teach me the RUN.
By Pantafernando 2015-01-20 07:45:58
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Sieha said: »
try putting one foot in front of the other in a rapid motion. adjust breathing depending on feelings in body and lungs. look out for that pole.

Did you mean paws?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-20 07:47:53
Link | Citer | R

If you want to know about the runs, eat Taco Bell.

It's hands-on experience for the runs.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-01-20 07:51:51
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Quote:
Those who say "bring an Aegis with you, that's how you play RUN" are suffering from that old cookiecutter job syndrome, and have likely never SEEN a good RUN in action.

Those people frequently overlook RUN's innate 22 MDB which happens to be the highest in the game along with it's subjob selection. Sub selection is critical to how a RUN tanks, /NIN shadow spamming is different then /BLU soaking, and yes Cocoon really is that awesome. I know a RUN who tanks HM on D and goes /BLU because he claims shadows are pretty much useless in that fight though he goes /NIN to the rest. Another thing that many RUN's forget is that they can get Protect VI from their support if they talk to them. Since MDT is piss easy to cap on RUN and RUN has such high MDB to begin with, I've found that an enhanced Protect V typically works better then an enhanced Shell V.

Anyhow there is very little I've found in the game that require the use of a PLD over a RUN. PLD is only an easier selection because we've had over ten years to build up a larger skilled PLD player base and a much smaller time to do the same for RUN. To make matters worse those who do have skill and gear on PLD have a weird kind of fear / prejudice against anyone wanting to tank on RUN.

Embolden is an overlooked JA, I think.

I bolded part of that for emphasis. Oh God, is that ever true. Most of the opposition I have seen comes from those who PLD. I'm not sure why, wouldn't you think they'd like to get OFF pld for awhile and let someone else do it?

Nazrious said: »
Nope. RUN is a hell of a lot of work to approach an Aegis/Ochain Pld, not saying it can't get close but F me if it shouldn't be easier. Also a Pld is preferential to any event where Mag. Damage is going to be switching up on a frequent enough basis to screw over, well the core of RUN, Runes.

Not saying to turn down Epol RUN, just that I would not put the work into getting there since it is not what I consider to be my main.

Why should it be easier? PLD isn't too great unless they possess at least 2 of the 3 shields (Aegis, Ochain, Priwen).

RUN has that innate MDB, and most mobs tend to favor one element or type of magic over another. You can also mix runes if you really want to.

RUN also has a disgusting amount of natural status effect resistance, which only goes up with the correct runes + Pflug. PLD has Fealty, which even I admit is probably better unless you know what status they're going to be tossing. I think you can Pflug more often, though I could be wrong. (Isn't the recast on Fealty like 5min?)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-20 07:58:09
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
I'm not sure why, wouldn't you think they'd like to get OFF pld for awhile and let someone else do it?
People like doing their main jobs I guess.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-01-20 08:01:43
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I'm not sure why, wouldn't you think they'd like to get OFF pld for awhile and let someone else do it?

My main is RDM and I get sick of doing it sometimes. In my experience nobody likes to be the X all the time.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-20 08:03:22
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

My main is RDM and I get sick of doing it sometimes. In my experience nobody likes to be the X all the time.
Not everyone is like you though.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-20 08:16:23
Link | Citer | R

I wish Fealty was a 5min recast. <,< It's 10 min.
By Nazrious 2015-01-20 08:27:09
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Quote:
Those who say "bring an Aegis with you, that's how you play RUN" are suffering from that old cookiecutter job syndrome, and have likely never SEEN a good RUN in action.

Those people frequently overlook RUN's innate 22 MDB which happens to be the highest in the game along with it's subjob selection. Sub selection is critical to how a RUN tanks, /NIN shadow spamming is different then /BLU soaking, and yes Cocoon really is that awesome. I know a RUN who tanks HM on D and goes /BLU because he claims shadows are pretty much useless in that fight though he goes /NIN to the rest. Another thing that many RUN's forget is that they can get Protect VI from their support if they talk to them. Since MDT is piss easy to cap on RUN and RUN has such high MDB to begin with, I've found that an enhanced Protect V typically works better then an enhanced Shell V.

Anyhow there is very little I've found in the game that require the use of a PLD over a RUN. PLD is only an easier selection because we've had over ten years to build up a larger skilled PLD player base and a much smaller time to do the same for RUN. To make matters worse those who do have skill and gear on PLD have a weird kind of fear / prejudice against anyone wanting to tank on RUN.

Embolden is an overlooked JA, I think.

I bolded part of that for emphasis. Oh God, is that ever true. Most of the opposition I have seen comes from those who PLD. I'm not sure why, wouldn't you think they'd like to get OFF pld for awhile and let someone else do it?

Nazrious said: »
Nope. RUN is a hell of a lot of work to approach an Aegis/Ochain Pld, not saying it can't get close but F me if it shouldn't be easier. Also a Pld is preferential to any event where Mag. Damage is going to be switching up on a frequent enough basis to screw over, well the core of RUN, Runes.

Not saying to turn down Epol RUN, just that I would not put the work into getting there since it is not what I consider to be my main.

Why should it be easier? PLD isn't too great unless they possess at least 2 of the 3 shields (Aegis, Ochain, Priwen).

RUN has that innate MDB, and most mobs tend to favor one element or type of magic over another. You can also mix runes if you really want to.

RUN also has a disgusting amount of natural status effect resistance, which only goes up with the correct runes + Pflug. PLD has Fealty, which even I admit is probably better unless you know what status they're going to be tossing. I think you can Pflug more often, though I could be wrong. (Isn't the recast on Fealty like 5min?)

The problem is not that RUN is bad, but that a BIS PLD will be a few % better than a BIS RUN.

Not game breaking but it annoys me. Aegis pld just have more on the fly ability, for Mag. Big picture I will RUN but If I felt like stepping it up to PRO tank I would just Aeg/Ochain and be done with it. Profit / effort Aeg/ochain is much easier than 1 Epol.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT EPOL ON A MAIN RUN IS NOT WORTH IT.

Just that as a 3rd or 4th job I am going for Idris over Epol.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-01-20 08:44:42
Link | Citer | R

Well as an epeo run I can say it is game changing but only when AM3 is up. However, the PDTII-25% does allow for interesting hybrid sets since it is accounted for even if you aren't over 50% cap.

That all being said, RUN isn't at its full potential and can't be fairly assessed. Though it seems minor in some respects the fact that the effects of vallation/valiance are not accounting for the 2nd and 3rd rune is actually quite huge. Hopefully its fixed next update, along with 2handed WS.
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-20 09:09:33
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Well as an epeo run I can say it is game changing but only when AM3 is up. However, the PDTII-25% does allow for interesting hybrid sets since it is accounted for even if you aren't over 50% cap.

That all being said, RUN isn't at its full potential and can't be fairly assessed. Though it seems minor in some respects the fact that the effects of vallation/valiance are not accounting for the 2nd and 3rd rune is actually quite huge. Hopefully its fixed next update, along with 2handed WS.

Should nudge it over Pld for mag and maybe open up using dif runes to cover the spread if a Mob is mixing it up magic wise.

Basically making Run the superior single element tank or on par with a Aegis pld when spread. At least I hope, but since they are not buffing for Mixed Mag. Damage Aegis pld should be comprable still.

Again its a meh situation when considering the worth of Epol vs Idris on a non-main Job.

Sidenote: once this is fixed Run will be superior for Avatars, Lion delve etc, likely even against an Aegis pld.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-01-20 09:09:48
Link | Citer | R

Though it seems minor in some respects the fact that the effects of vallation/valiance are not accounting for the 2nd and 3rd rune is actually quite huge.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you misunderstood the patch notes.

It's the MERIT part of Vallation/Valiance that is broken and takes into consideration only 1 rune regardless of how many you have.
That means that potentially the merits could grant UP to 15% more -DT for that element (5% per rune) whereas those merits atm give only 5% regardless of how many runes you have up.

The default part of Vallation/Valiance does take into account the number of runes and gives the correct -DT values. -15% per rune to a top of -45%.

A bit OT but a question for you ZEro.
Does Dimidiation receive a 30% Damage bonus from Epeolatry like all other mythics? Or is the damage exactely the same as non-ergon RUNs? I seem to recall there was no bonus... (which is lame, hope they're gonna fix that as well)
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-20 09:16:47
Link | Citer | R

I actually don't know why you quoted that text and then mentioned embolden.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-01-20 09:26:48
Link | Citer | R

There doesn't seem to be a boost. You can break 10k on Dimi at 3000% but at the same time you can break 10k on mobs like Delve bosses with Aettir at the same TP. Would be nice if it had the 30% boost like the other mythics.

One thing I have noticed is that on VD (128+) content Dimi is more consistent than Resolution but I think its more to do with 5 hit vs 2 hit and accuracy.

TP gain is slow without AM3 up but once its up its a lot like Samurai in the capacity of TP gain. Which makes tanking easier. But I think that's the case with all mythic AM3s.

The other thing about Rune is manipulating your runes and JAs so that you are multi elemental. Its annoying without haste but you can alter the elemental resistances of Vallation/Valiance and Pflug as well as keeping up a different set of Runes for Gambit/Lunge/Battuta.

I tend to stack 3 of the same Runes for Gambit/Rayke/Lunge/Battuta. But I have found changing runes for Vallation and Pflug helps with multi elemental mobs and debuffs, but is a bit of a chore.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-01-20 09:32:07
Link | Citer | R

"a bit of a chore" would be an euphemism :P
And it brings us to what is likely one of the biggest issues.
On RUN thanks to Inspiration and other things you're constantly doing stuff OTHER than meleeing. Especially on some setups like /BLU where you can spam spells to generate an insane amount of enmity (in contexts where doing that actually does make a difference... so I guess with tank+RNGs setups?)

Doing that AND constantly swapping runes AND constantly using barspells and JAs etc makes you incur into what basically is a perma post-spell/post-JA delay, which means even with AM3 up you hardly ever get a chance to TP =/
This is absolutely true with /BLU in my experience. In those situation sadly you can't really use AM3 to its full potential, sigh.

With other setups you don't need to permaspam stuff and at that point I guess you can finally get a bit of satisfaction from Epeolatry's AM3.

Wish something could be done about this but alas I don't really see a practical solution to solve it...
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-01-20 09:34:46
Link | Citer | R

To "solve" the multi rune spamming, which is ridiculously annoying imho, and make single-element stacking more beneficial something that they could do is adding a Job Trait that gives an increasing amount of MDB in relation to the number of runes of the same element you have up at a certain moment.

That way even if you're protected against a single element the additional MDB would offer a small compensation from the lack of multiple ones, offering a higher base defense against all types of element.

Would something like this work? I dunno, it's just a generic idea, but it could be neat I guess.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-01-20 09:37:04
Link | Citer | R

Giving back the enmity for rune activation would be helpful.
One of the things that happens with AM3 is I get so focused on using TP I forget to maintain JAs and Runes (happens every now and then on VD Superman). Conversely you get so occupied with maintaining the aforementioned you end up sitting on 3000% and never efficiently use it.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-01-20 09:44:45
Link | Citer | R

Giving back the enmity for rune activation would be helpful.
On one hand: absolutely and I'd really want to see that happen.
On the other hand: that would furtherly promote the "swap runes continuously" playstyle that we've been talking about over the last few posts and, quite frankly, while I recognize its efficienty atm, I'd really love to see this go away.

Wasn't the reason why they nerfed VE gain from runes use exactely because they didn't want people to constantly spam them to generate enmity?
(again, it was very effective, but it was super annoying to do).
So it would make sense of them to do something to enforce this approach even further.

Because atm they removed the enmity-reason to be spamming runes, but they kept the other reasons so the situation hasn't changed a lot. If anything it's worse because now you can spam runes every 5 seconds instead of every 10.

Don't know if you get what I mean.
I'm aware that my request is selfish but I can't help it, it really kills the fun to go through all that effort and being under almost perma post spell/ja delay =(
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-20 10:15:42
Link | Citer | R

I miss when runes had 0 recast due to a glitch with rune merits. Was delicious.

I wish Runes recasts were on a charge system though. So you could hit 3 runes consecutively, thus reducing the incurred JA delay. Then you wait 15 seconds and 3 runes are ready again. While a max of 3 runes would do, 6 would be better. Then you could swap all 3 runes for a JA, then swap back instantly. It'd actually make Vivacious Pulse+Tenebrae usable for MP recovery. <,<
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-20 10:34:37
Link | Citer | R

I have a question, not related to the few recent comments.

Just was doing Superman yesterday and there was a RUN (me) and PLD in the party. Was using 3x Tenebrae (though I'm not sure if I should be splitting runes). Got into a tight spot and popped Liement. Ended up eating the subsequent Light Blade for over 3000 damage, which is the highest this thing has ever hit me. Shockingly enough, Liement didn't activate (the chat log said "Buukki uses Liement" "No Effect").

My question is, why didn't Liement go off? Is it possible another JA restricts it from activating? This is the first time this has happened, and i can guarantee I was not using OFA (since I would have gotten a damage resistance to light Blade and wouldn't have eaten that much dmg). Just trying to figure out if maybe one of the PLD's abilities overlapped my Liement and caused it to not function.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Serveur: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-01-20 11:00:36
Link | Citer | R

Sometimes Vallation/Valiance/Liement overwrite each other, and sometimes they don't. I think it's connected to how long they've been activated. I ended up just adding a thing in GearSwap to automatically cancel one if I use another, and it is available.

As for comparing RUN vs. Aegis PLD against multi-element enemies: Sure PLD has more MDT, but I've never had issues with such enemies as RUN. Our MDB (which, by the way, we get another 8 from gifts) is great and we can always pop up a quick Blink/Barspell/One For All before any spell or WS goes off.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-20 11:15:32
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Sometimes Vallation/Valiance/Liement overwrite each other, and sometimes they don't. I think it's connected to how long they've been activated

So basically have to cancel the first buff to activate Liement? I only use it as an OSHI macro, but still.
By Nazrious 2015-01-20 11:23:11
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Sometimes Vallation/Valiance/Liement overwrite each other, and sometimes they don't. I think it's connected to how long they've been activated. I ended up just adding a thing in GearSwap to automatically cancel one if I use another, and it is available.

As for comparing RUN vs. Aegis PLD against multi-element enemies: Sure PLD has more MDT, but I've never had issues with such enemies as RUN. Our MDB (which, by the way, we get another 8 from gifts) is great and we can always pop up a quick Blink/Barspell/One For All before any spell or WS goes off.

Yeah, but an aegis pld isn't having much trouble either.

Far as runes are concerned Run should have the ability to put up 3 runes simultaneously even if on same cool down as Lunge, but really that or take away the run cost. Also a rune to TP effect added separate or tacked onto a current ability.

Two small changes that would make Run solid, less like whack a mole macro fest. GDI Run will cause finger joint issues!
 Valefor.Kensagaku
Serveur: Valefor
user: Kensagaku
By Valefor.Kensagaku 2015-01-20 11:40:20
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I have a question, not related to the few recent comments.

Just was doing Superman yesterday and there was a RUN (me) and PLD in the party. Was using 3x Tenebrae (though I'm not sure if I should be splitting runes). Got into a tight spot and popped Liement. Ended up eating the subsequent Light Blade for over 3000 damage, which is the highest this thing has ever hit me. Shockingly enough, Liement didn't activate (the chat log said "Buukki uses Liement" "No Effect").

My question is, why didn't Liement go off? Is it possible another JA restricts it from activating? This is the first time this has happened, and i can guarantee I was not using OFA (since I would have gotten a damage resistance to light Blade and wouldn't have eaten that much dmg). Just trying to figure out if maybe one of the PLD's abilities overlapped my Liement and caused it to not function.

Is it possible that you had Rampart on you from the PLD? I ask this because I solo Avatars on my RUN, and I've never had a no effect issue for Liement while having Vallation/Valiance up, even if I just put them up. It may be that since it is a form of Magic Shield (or in this case, absorption), it clashes with Rampart/One For All. I know BLU had similar issues with Magic Barrier / Stoneskin - Both were forms of damage absorption for X amount, but would overwrite or have no effect.
By Nazrious 2015-01-20 11:43:12
Link | Citer | R

Yeah Pld and Run don't always play well with each other like RUN x 2 does.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-01-20 11:44:12
Link | Citer | R

Which difficulty do you solo them a at? Which avatars? What kind of setup do you use?
 Valefor.Kensagaku
Serveur: Valefor
user: Kensagaku
By Valefor.Kensagaku 2015-01-20 11:52:25
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
Which difficulty do you solo them a at? Which avatars? What kind of setup do you use?
Tbf, I am still working on my gearsets, so I haven't done any of them higher than Easy (Garuda/Leviathan on VE... stupid healing...), with preference on VE for days I'm not feeling confident. I prefer RUN/NIN personally, and have been focusing on Shiva lately 'cause I want my Nilas Gloves and everyone else already got theirs. @.@ Not sure what you're asking for setup, since it's solo, so yeah...

My point was less about soloing Avatars and more that I've had no clash issues between Liement and Vallation/Valiance, including when they was freshly applied. Which suggested it was the PLD's abilities, likely Rampart, that clashed with Liement. Not a hard test if you've got a PLD buddy.
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2015-01-20 11:55:58
Link | Citer | R

Have you absorbed Light Blade with Liement before? I know the attack is at least partly physical damage is why I ask (Light/Physical as the name implies? Or just physical? Not sure), in addition to my curiosity of course.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-01-20 12:00:10
Link | Citer | R

Never popped Leiment on light blade but I stand at max melee distance and abuse the hell out Battuta and Flash+Foil when it's down. Can't absorb when it whiffs >.>
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-20 12:07:11
Link | Citer | R

I was thinking it was the PLD's job ability, but couldn't tell. I still don't think I should have taken so much damage from a magical attack, but maybe Rampart overwrote any magical defenses I had applied and only factored in his, which probably wore off shortly after. Anyone else experience this?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-01-20 12:08:45
Link | Citer | R

Your runes or vallation/valiance might have worn just prior.