Do I NEED Whm Lvl'd To Take Cor To 75?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Do i NEED whm lvl'd to take cor to 75?
Do i NEED whm lvl'd to take cor to 75?
First Page 2 3 4
 Alexander.Syxx
Serveur: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Stylesz
By Alexander.Syxx 2009-07-21 21:32:25
Link | Citer | R

Subject = question .. or can i just nin/rng sub it up
 Odin.Ahligieri
Serveur: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-07-21 21:33:42
Link | Citer | R

To take it to 75? No. But you may be required to /whm at (endgame) events, so I'd tough it out anyways :/
 Alexander.Syxx
By Alexander.Syxx 2009-07-21 21:35:27
Link | Citer | R

oh dam :( i kinda just want something else to merit on, sam makes me sleepy lol
 Odin.Ahligieri
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-07-21 21:36:47
Link | Citer | R

You can DD COR in merits if that's all you plan on using it for. People won't boot you from that over a subjob lol.
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-07-21 21:45:40
Link | Citer | R

I'm COR75 and WHM 19.. Yeah, sometimes you might need it, but I've managed to avoid it... In party situations, I think most people don't understand COR enough to even consider asking you to come /WHM.

So, it depends on what you want out of it. If you're looking for an end-game job, you always always always want all options. It's really that simple. If you're looking for merits or a specific use, then do what you need and move on. CORs have the benefit of generally being able to say no to all sorts of things, and their subjob is certainly a matter that rarely brings up questions.

The job really doesn't need a sub to be dramatically effective. In the end, though: /RNG and /NIN are both more expensive than /WHM. If you wish to play COR as support, you're going to save some gil. For my part, I simply felt more at home DDing with COR while alternating rolls. I'm a DD at heart.
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-21 21:46:36
Link | Citer | R

I used /rng and /war most of the time. If you dont want to lv whm though (for endgame stuff of course) then level /blm. It works better imo.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-21 21:48:44
Link | Citer | R

Ahligieri said:
You can DD COR in merits if that's all you plan on using it for. People won't boot you from that over a subjob lol.

actually yes..iv been booted many times for not subbing whm in merit ptys...i always get "Corsair/ranger too weak DD. /whm please." but../rng can dd...very well might i add "w/e noob" /kick.
 Alexander.Syxx
By Alexander.Syxx 2009-07-21 21:53:50
Link | Citer | R

ah ok, thanks alot then, lol imma probably get whm 12 then sync smn burn.. thats as far as ill go lol
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-21 21:58:36
Link | Citer | R

lol cor/whm
 Odin.Ahligieri
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-07-21 22:02:48
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:
Ahligieri said:

actually yes..iv been booted many times for not subbing whm in merit ptys...i always get "Corsair/ranger too weak DD. /whm please." but../rng can dd...very well might i add "w/e noob" /kick.

That's pretty damn lame. I wouldn't kick a COR that wanted to DD lol. Usually the healing is good to go with a RDM that's getting evokers and maybe a ballad whenever the BRD can spare it. I see why people would want it, maybe even prefer /WHM. But to kick them is a bit much, imo. Oh well.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Serveur: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-21 22:59:03
Link | Citer | R

Really depends on the merit setup. Personally I've been in way too many parties where brd/nin pulls, COR uses melee sub and RDM or SCH is the only mage and DDs are left being slept like crazy for getting to the birds before they retaliate on the BRD with lullaby. lol Really sucks.
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-07-21 23:05:43
Link | Citer | R

Personally, I think it's stupid to even consider /WHM for anything on COR. You don't make the freaking MNKs sub WHM, so why should a COR? If a RDM or WHM can't handle being the only healer in a party, then they're not doing something right.

Besides, if you don't have a COR, usually merit parties go DDx4, RDM, BRD, and there's no one to backup heal anyway, so why gimp one of the DD/Supports to make them heal?

Even in endgame, unless you desperately need -Na spells or Erases, it would be smarter to have a COR/DRK to almost anything.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-07-21 23:34:25
Link | Citer | R

I agree to an extent, Enternius. Given that most CORs won't pull, they don't fill the role of a BRD terribly well. They're best to fit into a DD's slot in a merit party. Luckily, with parses, they generally don't need to actually DD to adequately defend their spot, however, if they do, the party almost always benefits.

I don't think COR/WHM is completely useless, however, in the end, a COR probably has better things they can be doing with their time than throwing out sub-par healing magic. Yeah, a COR could, in theory, help to wake the party, however, a decent RDM should be able to do that, anyway.

I'd prefer a COR in a merit party to be considered as a utilitarian DD. They can do some damage, but that's not their only focus. They can also assist with sleep-staging, offer up immense buffs, and even help pull for those extra-competitive days in camps. However, they will definitely keep up with any other DD to fill that slot because so many DDs tend to forget when they're out there: If you like that you managed that 2k WS, remember that 500 of it's damage was owed to your COR, and probably 400 to your BRD..
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-21 23:43:51
Link | Citer | R

I prefer cor/rng for merit ptys...tp in joyeuse then magically pull a 1k+ slug shot out of my *** while helping with sleep and the occasional Ice shot for another 300ish dmg. Then in sky, Cor/blm all the way. Dyna...i kinda like cor/war for dyna..but only used it once XD
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-07-21 23:49:01
Link | Citer | R

I've never, ever been asked to /WHM for COR in a pt, and if they did, I'd laugh at them, LOL...to each their own, I guess...but I always /RNG, and everyone has always been happy. 8)
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-21 23:52:39
Link | Citer | R

Silvaria said:
I've never, ever been asked to /WHM for COR in a pt, and if they did, I'd laugh at them, LOL...to each their own, I guess...but I always /RNG, and everyone has always been happy. 8)

Then its true what they say...people on remora are 10x more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE than any other server...seriously if you are a cor on here and someone sees u w/o /whm 9/10 they will laugh and call u a gimp noob or something immature. Its ridiculous
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-07-21 23:52:58
Link | Citer | R

Rylis said:
I'd prefer a COR in a merit party to be considered as a utilitarian DD. They can do some damage, but that's not their only focus. They can also assist with sleep-staging, offer up immense buffs, and even help pull for those extra-competitive days in camps. However, they will definitely keep up with any other DD to fill that slot because so many DDs tend to forget when they're out there: If you like that you managed that 2k WS, remember that 500 of it's damage was owed to your COR, and probably 400 to your BRD..

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Healing on COR/WHM is like nuking on DRK/WAR. It's possible, but...Why even bother? Every other conceivable thing you can do is far more useful. Even if you're just standing around after doing your rolls, you're still being more beneficial than the BRD.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-21 23:56:10
Link | Citer | R

I have a CoR/war do 1k ws on birds like all the time

soooo

screw /whm
 Phoenix.Valentina
Serveur: Phoenix
user:
By Phoenix.Valentina 2009-07-21 23:57:12
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Sub WHM??? What for? Unfortunately a lot of folks have no clue about COR and think its just another BRD which is real sad. I have NIN WAR RNG subs for DD and will never ever sub WHM for endgame or merits. If a merit pt needs you WHM then your healer is really poor and youre wasting the DMG potential from a COR. I would recommend lvling RNG and NIN for DD, and mage subs BLU SCH and definitely BLM for Quick Draw DMG shots. Just my 2 cents ^^
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-07-21 23:59:07
Link | Citer | R

Thunderz said:

soooo

screw /whm

A: 1k is just sad
B: There was a SS up earlier of a 2.5k Slug Shot from a COR on birds.
C: My point is COR IS a very successful DD.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 00:00:18
Link | Citer | R

Valentina said:
Sub WHM??? What for? Unfortunately a lot of folks have no clue about COR and think its just another BRD which is real sad. I have NIN WAR RNG subs for DD and will never ever sub WHM for endgame or merits. If a merit pt needs you WHM then your healer is really poor and youre wasting the DMG potential from a COR. I would recommend lvling RNG and NIN for DD, and mage subs BLU SCH and definitely BLM for Quick Draw DMG shots. Just my 2 cents ^^

this . Also level dnc for soloing, its what im currently working on (besides taking nin to 75)
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 00:04:01
Link | Citer | R

Etrayis said:
Thunderz said:

soooo

screw /whm

A: 1k is just sad
B: There was a SS up earlier of a 2.5k Slug Shot from a COR on birds.
C: My point is COR IS a very successful DD.

that 2.5k wont always happen and its very gear dependant. The "older" cor will pull it off easily but these newer cor (the ones that picked it up in the past 6-8months) that have no experience with "experimental corsair" will be like "wtf no wai cor not DD!"
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-07-22 00:09:09
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Sub WHM??? What for? Unfortunately a lot of folks have no clue about COR and think its just another BRD which is real sad.

Agreed. I've had people try to tell me how to play COR and they don't even have the damn job unlocked, LOL...at least GET the job before you start telling people when they should Double Up. >,<
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 00:12:05
Link | Citer | R

"Wtf u roll 8, double up get us 11!">.>
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-07-22 00:30:28
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
"Wtf u roll 8, double up get us 11!">.>

Yeah, sad thing is, those same people get pissy when you Bust, LOL... 8(
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 00:39:31
Link | Citer | R

XD bust doesnt bother me anymore =D fold ftw....even though i hardly bust
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Serveur: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-22 00:47:26
Link | Citer | R

I think Rylis and Ahligieri have the right idea on the matter, personally. It's probably not going to be a point of contention 90% of the time, but I don't see why it'd be something to completely overlook or disregard as a sub. ToAU and beyond have been throwing out hybrid jobs and COR is no different because its main role (pun? :c) is to support while offering up a pretty fair DD game. Any scenario I've been in sees the COR DD as supplemental, complimentary damage, but even merits where the COR pulls exclusively and just randomly fires off QDs have gone really well. lol

The point being that /WHM only makes you more dynamic and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's easy to call things stupid or nonsensical, but there are pros and cons to each combination, as with any job and it's all about the perspective given to them. I'd bring up non-/nin DD CORs sponging the ***out of parties, but I'm not looking for more commotion. lol
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-07-22 01:00:00
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
XD bust doesnt bother me anymore =D fold ftw....even though i hardly bust

Well, me and Samurai's Roll have never gotten along, LOL...I almost always roll a damn 6. I just got Fold last week, and yes, it is freakin' awesome. 8D
 Fenrir.Shindo
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-07-22 01:29:48
Link | Citer | R

I just don't understand why people still think COR = BRD. COR has some really awesome potential and /WHM just squanders it. What do you intend to cure with your mighty 112 MP? Even with gear for it, you're probably a lot better off using /SCH in the first place. The power's in the ranged damage.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-07-22 01:31:08
Link | Citer | R

Caiyuo said:
I think Rylis and Ahligieri have the right idea on the matter, personally. It's probably not going to be a point of contention 90% of the time, but I don't see why it'd be something to completely overlook or disregard as a sub. ToAU and beyond have been throwing out hybrid jobs and COR is no different because its main role (pun? :c) is to support while offering up a pretty fair DD game. Any scenario I've been in sees the COR DD as supplemental, complimentary damage, but even merits where the COR pulls exclusively and just randomly fires off QDs have gone really well. lol

The point being that /WHM only makes you more dynamic and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's easy to call things stupid or nonsensical, but there are pros and cons to each combination, as with any job and it's all about the perspective given to them. I'd bring up non-/nin DD CORs sponging the ***out of parties, but I'm not looking for more commotion. lol

My only two 75s are WHM and COR, and I've tried the combination. Personally, I thought it sucked.

With WHM/BLM, I have 850+ mp.

With COR/WHM, I have less than 150mp. Not even enough for a Raise, and barely enough for a couple of decent Cures. I could keep Evoker's Roll on myself, but seems like a waste when there are jobs far better suited to be backup healers. IMO. 8)
First Page 2 3 4