Do I NEED Whm Lvl'd To Take Cor To 75?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Do i NEED whm lvl'd to take cor to 75?
Do i NEED whm lvl'd to take cor to 75?
 Leviathan.Alyssiah
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user:
By Leviathan.Alyssiah 2009-07-22 01:45:31
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Syxx said:
Subject = question .. or can i just nin/rng sub it up

I never went /whm until 75 for end-game. (Granted I had sub already from being a 75WHM but still...)
 Shiva.Easygermany
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Easygermany 2009-07-22 01:56:09
Link | Citer | R

I never saw a Cor/WHM in Endgame. Most common Subjobs are /RNG /War /Nin /Sam

Some Endgame LS want a Thowing Gear setup for RNG (Ixion Claim i think)
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 02:06:50
Link | Citer | R

i say screw /whm. It just gimps the job and blinds people of its true potential. The only mage job that i would agree to it being a good sub is blm...
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-07-22 02:10:17
Link | Citer | R

You never NEED /whm in exp. Is it a good sub to have just in case? Yes. In endgame it is also a useful subjob to have. Low MP? MP gear/food.

I am not suggesting in any way that you should use /whm on COR all of the time, neither am I suggesting you should sub anything else all of the time. COR is a very versatile job and it is best to have all potential subjobs available.
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 02:16:59
Link | Citer | R

eh not bashing you Ryong but this goes back to having the job leveled to really know the ins and outs. With whm sub ur limited to JUST rolls and healing which makes the rest of Cor's limitless functions useless. Great swords daggers and guns available as well as good bullets, ws, tp gear, ws gear and all of that goes to waste by subbing whm..and with full mp gear i get a total of about 320mp. Good for back up yes. Good for the job overall no. I admit it is a good sub to have at times though...i solod my ninja af fights as cor/whm (b/c i dont have /dnc yet) but my dmg was small and ws were weak (luckily the mobs were like..lv 60-)
[+]
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2009-07-22 02:22:17
Link | Citer | R

have all your Subs leveled Inc Whm,
No point not haveing acccess to the full use of the job, there alot of things Cor just can't do even with /rng or /war /sam unlike a rnger or other Dds

Cor can hold it self in merit situations easly i agree, but can't do so in other situations JoLove is an expample, in things like Einh u'll find cor/ddsub jst wont cut it anymore!

And make something clear to cor/Dd only way youy can deal decent dmg i disagree, i've merited with cor/whm on birds who was doing 1~1.5k Slugs easly
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-07-22 03:12:00
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Low MP? MP gear/food.

Heh...at most you're still going to have relatively low mp, and wearing mp gear on COR weakens the job's strengths, which certainly do not lie in the magic-using department.

However, I do agree that it's a good idea to have as many subs available as possible. It's one of my main goals in this game. 8)
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-22 04:26:39
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:
With whm sub ur limited to JUST rolls and healing which makes the rest of Cor's limitless functions useless.

IMO, that doesn't really work for COR >_> You still have the ability to equip a Gun and Bullets, the only thing you miss out on (from /RNG), other than Barrage and Sharpshot, is Accuracy Bonus traits. And from /NIN, you miss the Utsusemi and +14 Ranged Accuracy or whatever from a (second) Trailer's Kukri.. Both of which can honestly be made up for (Stoneskin and Blink will do just as good as Utsusemi for the most part IMO).

If this was about BRD though, then yes.. as /WHM you're limited to pretty much just Buffing/Debuffing and Backup Curing.. COR at least has the ability to do both sides of it's job either way.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 04:32:11
Link | Citer | R

Hitetsu said:
Dubont said:
With whm sub ur limited to JUST rolls and healing which makes the rest of Cor's limitless functions useless.

IMO, that doesn't really work for COR >_> You still have the ability to equip a Gun and Bullets, the only thing you miss out on (from /RNG), other than Barrage and Sharpshot, is Accuracy Bonus traits. And from /NIN, you miss the Utsusemi and +14 Ranged Accuracy or whatever from a (second) Trailer's Kukri.. Both of which can honestly be made up for (Stoneskin and Blink will do just as good as Utsusemi for the most part IMO).

If this was about BRD though, then yes.. as /WHM you're limited to pretty much just Buffing/Debuffing and Backup Curing.. COR at least has the ability to do both sides of it's job either way.

you forget that by subbing whm ull also miss out on powerful quick draws from /blm, dmg buffs from /war, dmg in general from /rng or /nin. /whm just seems like a gimp sub to me..kinda like making a sch sub war so he can backup voke......
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-22 04:47:36
Link | Citer | R

I've yet to see a COR/BLM in a PT >_>.. Ever.. Similarly, I've never seen a COR/WAR either.

/NIN and /RNG are the only 2 complimentary SJ's I ever see, and while the damage output of both is higher than /WHM, it loses a lot of it's versatility.

/WHM doesn't take away the ability to deal damage, though /RNG and /NIN take away the ability Backup Cure.

I completely understand your view on it though.
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2009-07-22 04:52:17
Link | Citer | R

In sertain Situations Dealing Dmg isnt better than Staying alive for that few more seconds! Specaily in the world of a DD, Where getting killed and waiting 5min on weakness will most likely of lost the dmg u spent doing because of a simple thing as cure III!
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 05:03:15
Link | Citer | R

I dont mean to sound like an *** but Knight u dont even have cor and Hitetsu urs is only lv 5. Not saying u dont know anything but theres no way u have experience as the job. That being said, being /whm does take away the ability to deal GOOD reliable damage. Yea as cor/whm u can toss a cure III to recover like 84 hp...and thats all you will cast until u get more mp. Also the cor/blm thing isnt used in ptys b/c 1) HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE pty leaders 2) Cheap cors. Cor/war often isnt used in ptys ill admit. I mean comeon who would want to deal a slug shot that can pull hate and get urself killed?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-22 05:13:36
Link | Citer | R

Yes.. There is no way I have 75COR friend's that I can log on at any time..

Now, you stop doing "GOOD reliable damage"? I'm sorry? Since when does doing an extra 10~30 damage a hit make more sense than having the ability to keep your PT alive?

That being said, Cure3 you will do far more than 84HP, I do more than that as 50NIN/RDM with Cure2..

I have no idea how you can only do 1 Cure3 for 84HP until you get more MP.. Are you telling me that at 75 you only have 91MP? There are many more good reasons to /WHM than to /WAR, /NIN, /RNG or /BLM in a PT.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 05:18:11
Link | Citer | R

Hitetsu said:
Yes.. There is no way I have 75COR friend's that I can log on at any time..

Now, you stop doing "GOOD reliable damage"? I'm sorry? Since when does doing an extra 10~30 damage a hit make more sense than having the ability to keep your PT alive?

That being said, Cure3 you will do far more than 84HP, I do more than that as 50NIN/RDM with Cure2..

I have no idea how you can only do 1 Cure3 for 84HP until you get more MP.. Are you telling me that at 75 you only have 91MP? There are many more good reasons to /WHM than to /WAR, /NIN, /RNG or /BLM in a PT.

you can log onto it but u didnt take it from 1-75 so ur not "one with the job" or so to speak..or w/e the *** u wanna call it. You dont know the ins and outs of the thing. /whm gimps cor to no end XD its rediculous. And no, /whm isnt better than any other sub...especially /blm.

Riddle me this...would you tell a blm (a mage job) to sub war (a DD) so he could voke incase the pld goes down?

Edit: The good reliable dmg part comes in with being able to actually hit with ur bullets for a fair amount of dmg. With /whm sub, to make it any use you would have to use mp and mnd+ gear, u lose out on the racc and ratt of gear and sub therefore gimping ur dmg output.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-22 05:21:12
Link | Citer | R

/sigh

Dubont said:
Not saying u dont know anything but theres no way u have experience as the job.

That's all I'm bothering replying now..
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-07-22 05:21:58
Link | Citer | R

User submitted image

i'm sorry to keep posting this ss that's not even on my photobucket, but he was subbing dnc. you really don't need to sub whm on anything you can hit with a joyeuse.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 05:22:33
Link | Citer | R

Hitetsu said:
/sigh

Dubont said:
Not saying u dont know anything but theres no way u have experience as the job.

That's all I'm bothering replying now..

w/e. You dont know the job plain and simple. Anybody who thinks cor/whm is better than cor/rng or even cor/blm has no idea how the job works. -.-
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-07-22 05:24:14
Link | Citer | R

I may only be 35 COR, but after taking 8 jobs to 75 since ToAU was released, I know more about COR than the vast majority of people, and I can say without a doubt that /WHM is almost always a waste in parties.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-07-22 05:25:53
Link | Citer | R

Enternius said:
I may only be 35 COR, but after taking 8 jobs to 75 since ToAU was released, I know more about COR than the vast majority of people, and I can say without a doubt that /WHM is almost always a waste in parties.

/bow
 Asura.Artemicion
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-07-22 05:43:29
Link | Citer | R

Short answer: No
Long answer: Nooooooooooo

Although it's nice to have options available for situations that demand its use. There may at times be situations where backup healing, status removal and QD spam would be more valuable than your ranged damage. It all depends.

A good example: Being stuck in the BLM party during Dynamis. Always have refresh & MAB rolls on, so why not take advantage of what will remain active at all times?
 Fairy.Ninelives
Serveur: Fairy
user: Ninelives
By Fairy.Ninelives 2009-07-22 06:12:17
Link | Citer | R

There's an old saying in FFXI that has applied throughout every job addition, version update, and expansion: "Situational ***is situational."

/Whm on Corsair is the Japanese style of playing the job, while most NA/EU players focus on the DD side. Going /Whm on Corsair is definitely not required to get to level 75, but eventually you should have it available as a subjob for circumstances that require it. I was asked to go /Whm a few times on the way to 75, and I functioned very well in the party. Your gun still works /Whm, and if that subjob is causing your bullets to whiff you have bigger issues than what subjob to bring.

I usually don't care what a Corsair in my party subs, as long as they keep their rolls up and don't let them wear off. I'll take a /Whm Corsair that keeps the party buffed 100% of the time over the /Rng Corsair that sucks at keeping rolls up but fires off random Slug Shots.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-07-22 06:26:16
Link | Citer | R

Ninelives said:
There's an old saying in FFXI that has applied throughout every job addition, version update, and expansion: "Situational ***is situational."

that
 Kujata.Minidark
Serveur: Kujata
user: Minidark
By Kujata.Minidark 2009-07-22 06:58:09
Link | Citer | R

Ok.. I was one of the first 75 Cor's on my server, and while i dont have the gil to experiment equipment-wise.. i did a TON of SJ combinations to see how it could fit best in EG/Merits.. Heres the ones ive used and most importantly, the why.
/RNG= racc+ barrage. you might not tp as fast as /nin with a joytoy, but rolling out 2 slugshots back to back is nice
/SAM= meditate, not as useful as /rng
/WAR= Berserk, but much lower racc
/NIN= Anytime you want shadows and dual wield(joytoy)
/BLM or /RDM= MaB for when you only Quick Drawing
/WHM= This was ONLY useful at the imp/flayer merit camp
/BRD= This i actually my personal favorite, and has gotten me more compliments than any other combo
Unless im forgetting anything...the others were just to be able to say "look at me, im beng silly"
Of the ones listed above.. WHM was definatly the least useful.

Also.. towhoever said /whm i the japanese style of play... lol.. even tey have moved past using whm as a sub most times
 Midgardsormr.Katashuro
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sephyrus
By Midgardsormr.Katashuro 2009-07-22 07:20:21
Link | Citer | R

I was /NIN from 1-75.

Regarding endgame:
Artemicion said:
A good example: Being stuck in the BLM party during Dynamis. Always have refresh & MAB rolls on, so why not take advantage of what will remain active at all times?

For me often(more like always) being used in the BLM pt I just stuck to /WHM. Why? Because it's far more useful to let's say give your precious BLM/RDM's erase or -na's. Occasionally throw in a Curaga II and Cure III. Stoneskin and Blink. For having refresh and MAB roll's it's just common sense to sub /WHM. You still can Quick Draw especially with the MAB. And I'm not going to sub a melee sub for a BLM pt for those 2mins of having my melee buffs on myself.

For things like HNMs(with exception of maybe Dark Ixion), Einherjar, Dynamis it's far more convenient and useful to support your alliance with /WHM than doing anything else.

Oh yea and i have nearly 500mp on /WHM with gimp MP gear and Commodore Tricorne+Luzaf's ring. Also I am a hume.

And no, I don't use /WHM in merit pt's. Melee sub all the way.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-07-22 07:21:59
Link | Citer | R

My friend is COR, but I am not. I'm going by what I've seen observing CORs, so take it easy if I say something you don't agree with!
I would assume having as many SJ as possible would be the best solution to fit what role you are going to be playing.
I personally do not see COR as a primary DD. I see COR as a bit of a BRD with some DD support. I've seen CORs do excellent damage so yes it can DD pretty well.
COR is a multiple role job to me. If it wasn't it would be a RNG. Most CORs seem to want be RNG at heart. :P
Ninelives hit it on the head.

ninjaedit> i've been in a few merit parties with COR/DNC. they did very well (main hand joy). he DD'd ok, and helped heal and rolls. i think /DNC would be better specifically in merit parties.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-07-22 07:26:45
Link | Citer | R

I've seldomly gone /Whm as Cor. I never once was asked to go /Whm in an exp party during the exp party process, everyone was okay with /Nin.

You don't need it, but it never hurts to keep your options available. It helps on simple duos, it's nice for campaign battle if you ever do that.

Endgame, yeah you might want it (I'm always asked to go Whm so I don't know).

Even in merit parties, people don't care if I'm /Nin. (I don't have /Rng yet) Evoker's role + Rdm Refresh is more than enough for a Rdm to main heal. Hell, even a Whm.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-07-22 10:29:49
Link | Citer | R

It's just ridiculous. Wanting a COR to /WHM is like saying, "We really wanted a BRD, but even though that's not your job, we're going to make you act like a BRD. Please squander your potential on us."
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-07-22 10:42:42
Link | Citer | R

Shindo said:
It's just ridiculous. Wanting a COR to /WHM is like saying, "We really wanted a BRD, but even though that's not your job, we're going to make you act like a BRD. Please squander your potential on us."

Lots and lots of people still don't understand what the hell a Cor does. They just think it is another version of a Brd and should be treated as so.
Generally only Cors know what Cors do. >.>;
 Alexander.Syxx
Serveur: Alexander
user: Stylesz
By Alexander.Syxx 2009-07-22 10:47:47
Link | Citer | R

Thanks alot every1, this really helped me out lol. because whm is something i dont plan on playing until its 100% Necessary~~

Next job : COR