By Bismarck.Gippali 2018-07-17 14:38:25
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Falei said: »
fonewear said: »
Justuas said: »
Asura.Summerl said: »
Only thing I could think to update from the current guide is adding Hesychast's Crown +3 to the sets where Anchorite's Gloves +3 are also included. Otherwise the guide looks really up to date.
Only the gear sets are (somewhat) up-to-date. The guide itself is outdated.

First post from 2013 totally up to date !

Monk is still great.

after being away for 4 years and only being backl a couple days figured prolly best I ask to see what I should be going for lol

If you have been away that long you may not want to spend the time effort to get monk back to high tier. Depends on how much you love monk.

i love my mnk put alot of time into it back in the day i figured it was the most logical place for me to start back with either way i go for any job im 4 years behind... no LS atm and no one on my friends list seems to be online ever so they prolly do not play anymore either. so even though i almost have every job 99 i feel like im starting over with the "?" over my head lol

And that is completely fine, I think a lot of people have been in that spot. I think Fonewear is just saying be prepared to be devoting a lot of time and energy into Monk if you choose to go down that route. It's also all about expectations of the job itself. A well geared and competent player will do just fine on Monk and any content that FFXI has to offer. Just don't expect to keep up with a WAR/SAM/DRK on a parse with all buffs being equal.

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
The text is obviously old in the guide but from my experience most people only give a ***about the gearsets, hence why I only updated those. I'll need to go back and add the Relic +3 stuff sometime.

This has always baffled me. It takes about 20-30min to sit and review the guides for info on abilities, utilities, ws's, etc. If you can't be bothered to read and understand the basic framework of the job, no amount of proper gear sets are going to help you.
[+]
 Asura.Falei
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Fakei
By Asura.Falei 2018-07-17 15:15:45
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Gippali said: »
Justuas said: »
Asura.Summerl said: »
Only thing I could think to update from the current guide is adding Hesychast's Crown +3 to the sets where Anchorite's Gloves +3 are also included. Otherwise the guide looks really up to date.
Only the gear sets are (somewhat) up-to-date. The guide itself is outdated.

First post from 2013 totally up to date !

Monk is still great.

after being away for 4 years and only being backl a couple days figured prolly best I ask to see what I should be going for lol

If you have been away that long you may not want to spend the time effort to get monk back to high tier. Depends on how much you love monk.

i love my mnk put alot of time into it back in the day i figured it was the most logical place for me to start back with either way i go for any job im 4 years behind... no LS atm and no one on my friends list seems to be online ever so they prolly do not play anymore either. so even though i almost have every job 99 i feel like im starting over with the "?" over my head lol

And that is completely fine, I think a lot of people have been in that spot. I think Fonewear is just saying be prepared to be devoting a lot of time and energy into Monk if you choose to go down that route. It's also all about expectations of the job itself. A well geared and competent player will do just fine on Monk and any content that FFXI has to offer. Just don't expect to keep up with a WAR/SAM/DRK on a parse with all buffs being equal.

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
The text is obviously old in the guide but from my experience most people only give a ***about the gearsets, hence why I only updated those. I'll need to go back and add the Relic +3 stuff sometime.

This has always baffled me. It takes about 20-30min to sit and review the guides for info on abilities, utilities, ws's, etc. If you can't be bothered to read and understand the basic framework of the job, no amount of proper gear sets are going to help you.

my DRK/SAM/MNK were all high parsers before I quit I kept their gear as top as it could be for the time then granted I understand that now they are all out of date. time isn't so much of an issue I intend on being around for a while and want to regear DRK and SAM as well and my BLM and THF for dynamis farming lol ive already come to grips with I have a lot of work in front of me.
By stratusx 2018-07-18 07:10:14
Link | Citer | R

I am curious, has testing been done since the august update last year on how footworks new "weapon dmg added to kick dmg" Affects tornado kick and dragon kick,
I have been spending nearly 1-2hrs trying to read thru this thread leading back to august last years update but found eveything focus on how shayt the update was for monk and a butt load ton of testing on boost, but very little (Or rather i probably missed it along the way) of the testing if footworks (With the weapon dmg add) works.

Edit:a word got blocked so i adjusted it
By fonewear 2018-07-18 07:53:20
Link | Citer | R

stratusx said: »
I am curious, has testing been done since the august update last year on how footworks new "weapon dmg added to kick dmg" Affects tornado kick and dragon kick,
I have been spending nearly 1-2hrs trying to read thru this thread leading back to august last years update but found eveything focus on how shayt the update was for monk and a butt load ton of testing on boost, but very little (Or rather i probably missed it along the way) of the testing if footworks (With the weapon dmg add) works.

Edit:a word got blocked so i adjusted it

I could get on my monk and do a little testing. I don't have Excel but I can do math most of the time !
By stratusx 2018-07-18 08:49:24
Link | Citer | R

much appreciated if you manage to get the chance
By shonaa 2018-07-20 07:51:17
Link | Citer | R

Hello all~

Although a lot of information in this guide is a bit outdated, it has still been very useful. However, there isn't much information about augments for certain gear pieces, so new/returning MNKs like myself could be a bit confused by some of the gear recommended.

As such, I had a few questions, and I apologise if they're a little silly. Firstly, what should I be augmenting my Moonshade Earring with? Accuracy/Tp Bonus? Can anyone also explain which situations/weaponskills this is most beneficial for?

Secondly, what is a good setup for our JSE capes? I'm currently working on a WSD cape with STR, and a TP cape with Store TP (which I figure is better than Double Attack?). I'm guessing a further WSD cape with DEX will be useful, and maybe a VIT one too. But should I be augmenting my TP cape with -DT, or do I want specific DT capes? Also, are there any other WS specific capes I should make, that will benefit from something other than WSD? I hear some other job prioritise crit over WSD for some weaponskills, but I'm not sure about MNK. It would be nice to hear about different capes you guys use :)
By zaxtiss 2018-07-20 09:21:29
Link | Citer | R

would want a dex / crit hit cape for VS WS
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-20 09:25:28
Link | Citer | R

shonaa said: »
Firstly, what should I be augmenting my Moonshade Earring with? Accuracy/Tp Bonus? Can anyone also explain which situations/weaponskills this is most beneficial for?

Moonshade with Acc/TP Bonus is the preferred augment path. You'd use this for any weaponskills where TP directly modifies the damage of the weaponskill. i.e. Howling Fist has this type of growth:

TP Modifier 1000 TP 2000 TP 3000 TP
fTP: 2.5 4.875 8.0

So basically more tp = higher modifier for weaponskill = higher damage. This is probably the single most important earring you will use for almost every DD and most decent weaponskills.

Quote:
Secondly, what is a good setup for our JSE capes?

Good rule of thumb is to always start with a TP cape that is universal (acc, dex, stp or da; this also can double as a Shijin Spiral cape if you care that much) and then build from there based on needs. I put counter on my tp cape, and I use DA over STP, but that may change over time. I would definitely create a cape for:

Victory Smite/Raging Fists (might be able to use same cape; probably DA, STR30, acc/att)
Howling Fist/Ascetics (can use same cape i think) (STR or VIT, WSD, acc/att)

If you opt for a VIT WSD cape, it works for a lolFinalHeaven cape as well.

DT augment on capes are standard, and helpful for certain sets. If you're Su3 and using Kendatsuba/+1 set, you would probably opt more for a PDT-10 cape if you want to be a bit more balanced, which may help you achieve a better hybrid set imo.

Just as an auxiliary note: i did MNK solo omen cards last night for the first time, and it went fine. Only objective I had issue with was 30k wsd. Does anyone have a decent multi-step SC that ends in Victory Smite Light/Double Light?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-20 09:27:50
Link | Citer | R

zaxtiss said: »

Victory Smite is modified by STR, not DEX, so that's not accurate. Also, Historically speaking, unless the stat is "Critical Hit Damage", I think DA+10 beats Crit hit rate +10 for VS. But you'd definitely not want DEX on a VS cape, since the only thing it would do would be add a small bit of acc to the hits.
By zaxtiss 2018-07-20 09:33:53
Link | Citer | R

orz my bad lol.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Serveur: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-07-20 10:46:57
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
zaxtiss said: »

Victory Smite is modified by STR, not DEX, so that's not accurate. Also, Historically speaking, unless the stat is "Critical Hit Damage", I think DA+10 beats Crit hit rate +10 for VS. But you'd definitely not want DEX on a VS cape, since the only thing it would do would be add a small bit of acc to the hits.

Actually it would also contribute to Crit rate via dDEX BUT how much you’d get varies by target and STR is better anyway for being a direct modifier.

Also, as first capes go, I almost always make WS cape first. Even with an offshoot stat like say VIT, your WS Cape should still get pit with heavy ACC/ATK bonuses making it still very good to get TP in. Add also that as a DD you’ll be doing the bulk of your damage in WS by a pretty wide margin so may as well put your best foot forward.

For me it’s always WS Cape, TP Cape, alt-WS Cape in that order
[+]
By stratusx 2018-07-22 09:25:11
Link | Citer | R

Could someone confirm if its already known or if this is a glitch:
Counter on monk (Even if it deals damage) doesn't register you on the enemys hate list, you've gotta do something else like hit it normally or AoE it.

I'v been soloing a bit recently trying to find a good trust combination for CPing (I have yet to find a decent one for my level of acc->tp build since ulmia and joachim change from haste songs to ballads).
Something aggros, i'll continue to hold both my original mob and the aggroed mob (Kinda like super tanking both but taking little dmg except for certain WSs)even tho i am clearly countering it and i am being healed by the healer trust (Since i have 2 mobs and some WSs get thru and counter fail to go off because of cap), it doesn't run to the healer.

after moving to a different zone,even after one of my trusts AoE'd and took hate, healer only registered because it healed the AoE trust, when i killed the original mob, then moved away,the aggroed mob continued to kill the rest of the trusts on the hate list (They were at the end of the trust line so were some distance away), but never came after me or the rest of the non healing/supporting trusts that didn't put some aggro on the trusts that gained hate.

counter traits/gear -About +16 from gear,counterstance (45+10=55), +12 from trait, +2 from gifts so i should be at cap or near cap (For reference)
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-22 09:55:11
Link | Citer | R

Counters will not put you on the enmity list, no

If you aggro > never aggressively act > trust aggressively acts > mob will kill trust (and anyone that supports the trust) then despawn.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2018-07-22 10:29:46
Link | Citer | R

#LetCounterGiveTP #CounterMatters
 Bismarck.Gippali
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2018-07-22 10:56:03
Link | Citer | R

No tp on counters is stinky, but you can swap relic +3 body/feet into your counter sets for 45% crit chance. Least you get a nice little boost from that.
 Asura.Psylo
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2018-07-22 12:31:20
Link | Citer | R

ItemSet 359651

Perfect couter set ?(no counterstance)
 Bismarck.Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2018-07-22 12:53:13
Link | Citer | R

ItemSet 327643

This is my current base counter/counter crit rate set, but either works fine. I pepper in more DT/Hybrid crap if needed.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-07-22 15:16:12
Link | Citer | R

isn't that 24% Haste, or did I miscount?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-22 15:35:54
Link | Citer | R

Here's the one I made for MNK. I prefer herc hands to give a little more PDT.

ItemSet 360121

Honestly, counter should give TP, at least only for MNK. It's the entire premise behind MNK; dealing hidden dps behind counters. Between that, Impetus needing to have it's penalty removed, and change the formula for defense on counterstance, those are 3 readily appeciated changes I'd love to see soon. It makes no sense that SAM get's insane TP Gain from Ikishoten/Zanshin (the whole gimmick behind making SAM shine, really), but MNK can't really capitalize on their naturally gifted counter. It gives enhanced survivability, but everyone knows killing faster is the best survivability.
[+]
 Bismarck.Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2018-07-22 15:52:51
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
isn't that 24% Haste, or did I miscount?

Yeah it is, Made the set when I didn’t have anything higher ACC wise in hands. Can swap to really anything now though
 Odin.Horu
Serveur: Odin
user: stratusx
By Odin.Horu 2018-07-23 01:08:16
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Counters will not put you on the enmity list, no

If you aggro > never aggressively act > trust aggressively acts > mob will kill trust (and anyone that supports the trust) then despawn.

Much appreciated for the reply, I suppose thats one of the hidden effects of monk
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-23 01:32:59
Link | Citer | R

We aren't about to start accepting symbolic victories with impractical "effects". Every job that counters can benefit from that, so it's not anything exclusive for MNK.

Need real life application for something useful or it's a bust. Outside of white damage, nothing MNK can do that another job can't compete with, or do better. Even SAM can true counter far better than MNK can at this point, without any of the risks that come with it from the MNK side. Kind of sad, actually. Still working to push MNK regardless just because it's something to do.
 Odin.Horu
Serveur: Odin
user: stratusx
By Odin.Horu 2018-07-23 01:38:04
Link | Citer | R

Here's the one I made for MNK. I prefer herc hands to give a little more PDT.

ItemSet 360121

Honestly, counter should give TP, at least only for MNK. It's the entire premise behind MNK; dealing hidden dps behind counters. Between that, Impetus needing to have it's penalty removed, and change the formula for defense on counterstance, those are 3 readily appeciated changes I'd love to see soon. It makes no sense that SAM get's insane TP Gain from Ikishoten/Zanshin (the whole gimmick behind making SAM shine, really), but MNK can't really capitalize on their naturally gifted counter. It gives enhanced survivability, but everyone knows killing faster is the best survivability.

Since they can't seem to fix monk's dps problems (Even white dps can't keep up), perhaps make monk a secret Super tank much like ninja was made into a physical dodge tank instead of a dps (Back when it first came out)?
-change counter's enmity generation to be that of a flash or half flash,
-Add in guard activation rate to gear (Since guard makes pDif 1.0) and change "Dodge" ability to have the same duration as the recast.
-Remove counterstances defence penalty.
-change the penalty of "missed counters will make the attack go thru" to "missed counters makes you dodge the attack"

(Albeit it defeats the purpose of monk being a dps job)
-You continuouesly build enmity on multiple targets with countered attacks (Much like foil)
-You'll have a tank that negates and/or returns dmg to 80% of physical normal attacks (Unless you make Spharai go over the counter cap in which case thatss 95% counter rate)
-and if you can get the guard activation rate high enough, you take minimal dmg from physical WSs
~and you'll build tp albeit slowly from guarded attacks

REM weapon of choice would be either Glanzfaust or Spharai

~~~wakes up from his dream~~~ huh, oh, they still didn't fix monks dps problems, pld and run still deal more dmg
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-25 00:31:21
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
►Ascetic's Fury : 1 Hit, 50% STR / 50% VIT Modifier, Critical hit rate varies with TP (+10% 1000 TP, +20% 2000 TP, +40% 3000TP)

Just an observation. Just unlocked Ascetic's Fury, and the description says 2 hits.
By Davorin 2018-07-25 03:51:21
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
►Ascetic's Fury : 1 Hit, 50% STR / 50% VIT Modifier, Critical hit rate varies with TP (+10% 1000 TP, +20% 2000 TP, +40% 3000TP)

Just an observation. Just unlocked Ascetic's Fury, and the description says 2 hits.

A handful of hand-to-hand weapon skill descriptions, including Ascetic's Fury, were changed in the September 2017 update.

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/130558-September-2017-Version-Update
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-07-25 04:31:33
Link | Citer | R

It's not the WS that were changed, just the description.
MNK never had a 1hit WS to begin with. Each WS has at least 2 hits, I think it's because of the way Hand-To-Hand works, there's always at least an offhand hit. Similar to Jobs that dualwield weapons, with the difference that H2H is a "single" dualwielded weapon, sort of.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-25 09:29:29
Link | Citer | R

Well, good to know in that case. I guess the silly part is the fact that the other 1-hit WS don't even say that in their description; it just shows some other feature "damage varies with tp" "additional effect: subtle blow".
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-25 15:09:41
Link | Citer | R

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/54265-Monk-Suggestions-to-make-it-more-party-efficient-and-attracive?p=608782#post608782

Head on over to OF if you feel like supporting the suggestions I outlined, or comment feedback on what you like/don't like. I specifically tried to stay away from "Fix WS Damage" because that's the obvious fix they aren't going to do, and I feel like Monk needs a bit more going for it to warrant bringing along to anything. If Damage is the true issue, then people will just bring other jobs along that can do it better.

Anyways, I posted it beneath in the spoiler. If anyone is fluent in JP and feels like translating for those forums, please do so. Or I might just copy/paste it into JP OF anyways just because.

edit: I pasted it in what I think is the JP forums MNK page. Let's hope doing that won't get me banned, but whatever.
Thanks
By Kronkeykong 2018-07-25 16:00:25
Link | Citer | R

Kind of looking into getting into MNK.

Keep hearing bad things but, as much as I like good things, I am a purveyor of bad things.

What would everyone suggest to get started? What pieces of AD/Relic/Empy are good, I had Denoutments to start... Is Glanzfaust the best weapon because MNK WSs suck?

Mainly want to gear up the job because it looks like a blast to play - Hoping down the line they give the job some kind of Tank Ability, because it seems they're obsessed with giving the job Tank Stats as well as Counter out the wazoo.

How would everyone feel about Chi Blast being Provoke, and Countering giving as much enmity as 1/3 of a Provoke? Would it make the job tanking viable?

Edit; Reason I ask is because it looks like the sets are a little out of date, is there a better updated section somewhere in recent posts or on BG? Thanks!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-25 16:10:01
Link | Citer | R

Buy Jolt Counters off AH for starters, since that's the easiest and cheapest option currently. I'd wait until we see what the augments on REMA h2h are to make a decision on which one to make. Currently I have Spharai and plan to 119 III it, just because. In it's current state, it's worse than NQ Jolt Counters and loses to HQ. September might change that. Might end up making Godhands next, just because I like having multiple weapons for jobs.

I'd upgrade all of the Anchorite to +2 at least since that's easy enough, though the head piece is probably not even worth making tbh. +3 the Body, Hands, Legs, and Feet though for set variety.

MNK Shards are cheap at the moment, so no restrictions on mass-buying them now and hording them for later; I'd recommend upgrading upgrading the Head to +3 first; Body, Hands, and Feet to +3 eventually, since each piece has minor/major improvements for certain JAs and such. Of course that depends on the order of your clears. I'm not sure about +3 legs; they might beat out Kenda+1 legs/Samnuha Tights. Even still, the biggest hurdle would be getting a group to take you to dynamis for clear. You can do the +2 easily though if you feel like wasting entry with two other souls (I see these shouts nearly every day).

MNK is fun, deals good white damage, but definitely sucks a bit when Impetus is down. It needs some fixing but it's not in horrible shape.
First Page 2 3 ... 198 199 200 ... 363 364 365