Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 264 265 266
By Lizk 2013-08-21 02:27:54
Link | Citer | R

What does a thf do besides TH these days?
 Bismarck.Ihina
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-08-21 02:42:15
Link | Citer | R

Hit stuff, I'd imagine.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Rengeki
Serveur: Odin
user: Rengeki
By Odin.Rengeki 2013-08-21 16:12:28
Link | Citer | R

Josiahkf said: »
and evasion tank yorcia/ravine reives for capes

Yep. I do a lot of soloing and screwing around in Adoulin. It's pretty fun.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-08-24 19:10:44
Link | Citer | R

any thoughts on new equip from august update?

Post deleted by User.
By Lizk 2013-08-25 22:56:51
Link | Citer | R

What's the best thing to farm atm?
 Ragnarok.Loughry
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Loughry
By Ragnarok.Loughry 2013-08-26 00:14:08
Link | Citer | R

Lizk said: »

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Farmer-Without-Experience
[+]
 Ragnarok.Inx
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2013-08-26 06:49:37
Link | Citer | R

If you're looking for a cheap evasion orientated dagger to offhand Leisilonu+1 can augment to +10 agi with an nq stone. No idea how much higher it'll get with +1/+2, but I ended up with DMG+3, AGI+10,ATK+1 off my third nq attempt.

Shame about the dmg nerf, but if you're trying to hoard plasm for Izi or whatever other Delve boss gear you're after, its a nice quick and dirty holdover.
 Odin.Rengeki
By Odin.Rengeki 2013-08-27 17:18:45
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Godofgods said: »
any thoughts on new equip from august update?

A lot of thoughts. PDT stuff on THF is excellent, not only will you evade a lot of attacks but the hits you take will hurt a lot less if you build for it. Also not having to spend a fortune in airlixirs makes them really attractive! (Well, okay, airlixirs are pretty cheap now but I don't want to spend ~3m to make an evasion exclusive piece.)

Lizk said: »

Well, I'd say try and find your own niche. I haven't "farmed" anything besides dynamis in years, but I got several mill worth of Bloodthread (they were like 150k/stack when I did this) when I was trying for inventor's coalition stuff, which I used for rank ups.

Dynamis is pretty crazy with new Adoulin gear. Duoed 500+ coins with a buddy working on his RNG beret trial on my THF. Obviously coins are worth a lot less now, and dynamis is incredibly boring alone, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

You can also Despoil Matamata shells but the rate is shitty. Still, I got more of them this way than from killing the *** things... you'd probably be best off mining them.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-08-28 16:56:41
Link | Citer | R

every time i make a new set to try and get to, theres an update with more new gear. /grin

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Meektaru
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Meekriot
By Phoenix.Meektaru 2013-09-06 00:03:38
Link | Citer | R

As of right now. For general purposes, should I be aiming for the Uk'ux hat or Whirlpool mask?

Thanks
 Odin.Rengeki
By Odin.Rengeki 2013-09-06 12:27:26
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Meektaru said: »
As of right now. For general purposes, should I be aiming for the Uk'ux hat or Whirlpool mask?

Thanks

The answer that you'll get regardless: ***, situational, get both, etc.

My answer: Unless you're lucky with Hurkan's drops, just get Whirlpool and Iuitl and call it a day.

Edit: If you have trouble with boss wins, I'd get Iuitl and not stress over Uk cap too much. It'd be a good idea to try for it, but if you're tight on playtime/bayld, nothing wrong with just using Iuitl for everything.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Malizia
Serveur: Sylph
user: Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-09-11 18:36:43
Link | Citer | R

OK, I've updated all the HQ/QQ sets, including SA/TA notes for Evisceration and Exenterator. I still have to do NQ and a few of the 0Q sets; I wouldn't expect that any time soon. Here are some interesting notes:

• The normal sets are now against level 102 Chapuli instead of Pil. No one really fights Pil anymore.

• The Delve sets are now against Tojil unbuffed. I took Ihina's comments to heart - if you're doing Delve as THF, there's a good chance you won't be in the DD group. And if you do get buffs, the normal sets generally have enough accuracy to cover things.

• Exenterator beats out Evisceration most of the time. Evisceration will win in Abyssea (unsurprisingly), and also when you're dealing with extremely high-defense mobs, like Tojil when unbuffed.

• Mercy Stroke and Rudra's Storm do not output enough damage to offset the DPS loss during the TP phase from not using better daggers.

• Sneak and Trick Attack give the most DPS when used in conjunction with WS's, as opposed to using them solo (this actually lowers your overall DPS because of the ability delay). This... probably isn't news to many of you.

[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [54 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-11-04 14:53:01
Link | Citer | R

Lots of updating to do, it'll take a while - especially because this guide's equipment is organized by "difficulty to obtain", which will take some time to learn. There is actually a lot of new equipment to sort through, but here are the major ones (R/M/E and AF):

R/M/E:

AF99:

Also some off-the-cuff, pre-spreadsheet notes:
  • R/M/E are now plausible mainhand/offhand options with izhiikoh, replacing the well-loved aphotic kukri. This was to be expected. I'm guessing Mandau main / Izhiikoh off will be the best choice.

• Based on the value of the "increases critical hit damage" stat, head/body/legs may be best-in-slot for SA/TA + WS.

• The hands are most likely best-in-slot for TA / TA+WS regardless of the crit damage bonus.

• The feet have the highest available +Steal bonus (over rogue's poulaines), if you're into that sort of thing. Can't complain about the Flee bonus and the movement speed either.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Wheeldog
user: Wheeldog
By Ragnarok.Wheeldog 2013-11-05 10:18:50
Link | Citer | R

I'm also interested in how the new ilvl 116 dagger will stack up offhand vs R15 aphotic. Main hand Izhiikoh.
By Chyula 2013-11-05 14:19:46
Link | Citer | R

Once you unlock the ws, its a whole new ball game for other weapons. I really don't get how the *** Twasher get so low dmg. The new AF gear is just for SA/TA+rudra ws macro only as most situation assuming ppl actually invite thf to a high haste event, thf will get enough tp before the SATA recast timer is up, and even on a no haste two man farm situation your wasting time trying to position yourself for SATA. even if you don't get 100tp before timer you'll still save SATA for ws. Also you have to choose between CR gear from CD, I'll take consistence over spike any day.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-11-05 21:58:15
Link | Citer | R

I haven't thought about Rudra's Storm in quite some time since my aby days when I was rockin' the daka +2 (I'm so glad I didn't throw it out), and even though I don't think I'll have much use for this WS, I'd still like to have a set for it it just in case the need should arise.

That said, does anyone know how crit damage+ fares against Iuitl gear in a stacked build?

I haven't been playing much lately, so I'm only 3/5 on the Iuitl set atm, but here's something I threw together for starters:

ItemSet 315092

Would it beneficial (for a stacked build only) to bust out the cavaros mantle, Athos's tights, raider's armlets +2, augmented hecatomb mittens +1, etc, or are those past the point of any real usefulness these days?

EDIT: I have a iuitl vest, but went with the Kheper and the 4% WS damage in this build instead.
 Sylph.Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-11-06 03:06:39
Link | Citer | R

Well, looking at the Rudra's Storm sets I spreadsheeted from August...

ItemSet 292162
ItemSet 295124

No, most of the previous crit damage+ pieces aren't better than current endgame gear. I don't know if these new AF pieces have enough stat bonuses. They all lack +attack (except for legs, which lack DEX), so I would really only expect the new AF hands to win, and just for TA+RS.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-11-08 07:44:59
Link | Citer | R

Quick, someone give me a reason to finish upping my Twashtar to use as an offhand. No matter how I look at it, shark dagger will be the better dagger to offhand, but I kinda hate it.

One, its delay is too high.
Two, it's the fricken Twashtar, how can I not use it?

/Twashtar used to have the advantage of being a high dps dagger, but that's no longer the case.

But did I mention that offhanding shark dagger to the Mandau looks really, really lame?
 Ragnarok.Flippant
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2013-11-13 15:00:38
Link | Citer | R

Pillager's Armlets are only 2% crit hit damage, although that doesn't necessarily mean they all are.

Also, there's a mistranslation on Pillager's Culottes. It should be Haste+6%, not Enmity...
[+]
By Ophannus 2013-11-14 12:48:27
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
A sword?? Really??? Yes, but this is no ordinary sword. Usually we don't want swords because there's a tremendous skill gap: dagger skill is at 417 (and I hope you merited it, making it really 433) and sword skill comes in at 334. That's a 99 skill difference. However, the H-Sword comes with a +162 skill bonus, so it's kind of like having a +63 skill dagger. That's just as much as a Forefront Dagger (below), and you can bet it has WAY higher damage than said dagger. So, if you already have one for another job, it may make sense to offhand this until you have dual Aphotics.

I was under the impression +Skill only worked if it was in the main hand. So Dual Wielding 2x Aphotics won't give you skill for both. To that effect, offhanding Halc sword is pointless.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2013-11-14 13:33:55
Link | Citer | R

Skill works for the hand you use it in. The offhand Aphotic benefits from the skill that is on it, as would whatever sword that person is talking about.
 Sylph.Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-11-14 15:59:09
Link | Citer | R

Correct!

Also, the quote was in reference to halachuinic sword, which I wouldn't bother with nowadays. If you're struggling for plasm for Delve gear, I'd just spend some easy bayld on a camaraderie dagger or pick up a leisilonu +1 instead.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2013-11-17 21:27:14
Link | Citer | R

The good news is that Pillager's Vest is 5% crit hit damage, meaning there is hope for legs (and I guess head, but it's more likely 2% like gloves). Need to get a new set of Limbus items now.

Khepri is still a tad better than Pillager's for TA Mercy, but probably not by the time the AF gets upgraded for level 119.
[+]
By Arziet 2013-11-22 16:44:52
Link | Citer | R

Is the general consensus that; Unless you have upgraded Mandau to ILv.119 Rudra's Storm being stacked with SA and TA is now the best ws to use in most situations where you are able to stack Sa & TA with a WS - and Exen is still the #1 solo WS aside from the few occasion where Evis is better?

I am asking this using (Izhiikoh) (Aphotic R15 Str).
 Ragnarok.Flippant
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2013-11-24 00:47:29
Link | Citer | R

Rudra's is actually not that much better than Exen stacked, unfortunately, and I believe Exen is the superior TA WS between the two--but I may not have been looking at the best gear between the two. This is also before I knew the crit damage+ rate on AF99.

Other than that, yes, Exen will still be the best unstacked and Evis will so rarely be better that you're probably either in Abyssea or somewhere you shouldn't be DD'ing with such a low PDIF.

Aside from that, I forgot to post here, but Pillager's Culottes have 3% crit damage. I have had mat/seals ready for head for a couple days too, but I am really not motivated enough to finish it because it is most likely 2% and most assuredly not more than 3%, and therefore..not worth even carrying around.
By Luthiene 2013-12-01 11:43:48
Link | Citer | R

May be a stupid question, but why SA in Epona's Ring?
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 264 265 266