Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » SMN BURNS
SMN BURNS
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-06-02 15:46:15
Link | Citer | R

Has anyone done a SMN burn since the update? It hasnt worked for me since i dont know if the members didnt know what they are doing or what? Thank you
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-06-02 15:47:16
Link | Citer | R

And i am talking about Astral Flow parties @ Korroloka Tunnel and such
 Kujata.Nanyo
Serveur: Kujata
user: Nanyo
By Kujata.Nanyo 2009-06-02 16:47:46
Link | Citer | R

What did the update do to it? I've heard nothing about a SMN Burn Gimp
 Ramuh.Yasko
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Yasko
By Ramuh.Yasko 2009-06-02 16:58:50
Link | Citer | R

I don't know. Did they "fix" that somehow.

I hope not.

It's a wonderful loophole.
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-06-02 17:21:42
Link | Citer | R

well it seems like the smns in the pt are gaining hate when they 2hr the CFH monster
 Lakshmi.Premium
Serveur: Lakshmi
user:
By Lakshmi.Premium 2009-06-03 04:41:21
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Maybe your high level people are not gaining hate well enough, it works fine for me. Just done another last night.

Gotta do like bliz2, sleep/bind/para/slow/blind all hate spells.
 Asura.Wyldfyre
Serveur: Asura
user: WyldFyre
By Asura.Wyldfyre 2009-06-04 00:02:50
Link | Citer | R

Or just don't use a CFH mob.

Duh.

I used to use a CFH mob in my astral burns back when I first started, then I realized they're more hindrance than help.

Just don't use your blood pact on a red mob (shouldn't be a red mob if you're doing it right, but as a double-check) and you don't need a cfh mob because you won't have any hate after your avatar dies.
[+]
 Asura.Lordgenbu
user: Lordgenbu
By Asura.Lordgenbu 2009-06-04 00:08:08
Link | Citer | R

Works just fine here.
 Asura.Krebons
user: Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2009-06-04 01:54:15
Link | Citer | R

heres an idea : stop whineing and XP the way you should, i hope they fix that soon
[+]
 Asura.Wyldfyre
user: WyldFyre
By Asura.Wyldfyre 2009-06-04 02:04:57
Link | Citer | R

Soon as in within 6 years? Oh, too late.

XP the way you should ... solo.

lolbst
[+]
 Asura.Krebons
user: Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2009-06-04 02:26:23
Link | Citer | R

lolbst all you want, least i know i can solo hakutaku how bout you?
i can make good xp without a party how about you?
i can do alot of things in this game by myself not requireing other peoples time what about you?
oh your a monk, 3 hits and your dead.
before you bash on something, better know what your up against

ninja edit: I dont have to use some Loophole to get xp either, a way the game wasnt intended to play.
[+]
 Ifrit.Dinarii
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 04:24:19
Link | Citer | R

bashing SMN burns still? you can solo hakutaku? good for you, i can take 6 ppl down there and crush it in 10minutes as opposed to your hour or so. i can solo almost as many things you can do on bst as thf, or rdm, or smn even. the days of epic solo's are far long gone. and after playing this game damn near 7 years. the old exp grind just doesnt cut it for some people.

SMN burns arent for everyone, bc not everyone can research a job, learn how to play it properly, and know what to do in any given situation. SMN burns are not for these people.

While you were romping around making a grandiose 10k/hr. Someone else just got 400k exp doing a few smn burns... if you don't like it, it usually means no one has invited you to one, or you don't have the tank/puller/smn that most groups require before they even consider you other than a syncee. Not to mention the coordination it takes to actually pull these off in a timely fashion.

I have yet to see a pick up SMN burn take less than an hour+. while still efficiently pulling all 183 or so mobs that are used in a burn. also timing flows to properly keep chains higher than lol30. i have yet to see anyone pull over 150chain, even tho i know some who've come close. (141)

yeh, i'd much rather see it take an average of 100k/hr over 20k/hr in a bird party to finish out merits. then again... that's just me.

and yes, it's probably the CFH mob. OR someones not zoning after pulling. or is still in tank pt when they zone back in. a lot of little nuances can cause residual hate to remain on party members. other times it seems like a freak accident.

and with the release of FF14 coming, i really doubt they'd take time out to nerf SMN burns, or make kings triggered, or any of that crap ppl have been crying about without end. The games been dying for 4 years. let it go and see you in 14

ninjer edit: yeh it still works. someones doing something wrong if you arent able to.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Singhay
user: Singhay
By Carbuncle.Singhay 2009-06-04 04:43:08
Link | Citer | R

smn burn
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:10:06
Link | Citer | R

i also miss how this is still claimed to be a loophole. You gather mobs, you use a normal job ability, and mobs die. it bases itself of the same thing that power levelers use. get hate on the PL, and beat on it til the mob dies. Same idea, higher rate of efficiency. Loophole what?
[+]
 Ramuh.Tipiro
By Ramuh.Tipiro 2009-06-04 07:25:01
Link | Citer | R

The loophole/exploitation is the Level Sync system. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the devs change this somehow.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-06-04 07:37:58
Link | Citer | R

This loophole was here 6 years ago, its just much easier now with level sync. Just now we have forums were kids can whine that they don't get invited.

I can solo this; I'm too holy to join this; ... ... get off your horse.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-06-04 07:39:51
Link | Citer | R

You could, you know, level a job for the fun of it.

I understand that the noobs who level a job thru SMN burn isn't going to be an endgame whatever. But, they also never give that job a chance to see how much fun it could be for them. I never thought that BLM would be as fun as it is because at first, I didn't get any party invites and wouldn't even give it a chance after level 37. Then my old LS "requested" that I level BLM to 75, which I managed to get it to level 50 before it disbanded and went away. Good thing I got it to 50 before it disbanded, because I doubt I would be at 75 now if it wasn't for the fact that after 50, you can solo very easy on BLM.

If you think its tl;dr, then you need to stop playing and read a book.

Point is, because some people rather SMN burn their Maat's Cap (which is silly because you wouldn't have the skill it takes to beat Maat if your SAM is at 75 but your GK skill is at a measly 50.....GK50, not SAM50 GK cap) but others rather experience the game to its fullest (which is what we pay the monthly fees for) and level each job to 75 the "slow" way.

I'm still finding jobs to be fun, I'm sure once I get BST to 23, I'll enjoy it more than I do now. Or COR past 37. Or BLU past 66.
[+]
 Asura.Deodate
user: deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2009-06-04 07:43:35
Link | Citer | R

Tipiro said:
The loophole/exploitation is the Level Sync system. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the devs change this somehow.

This isn't entirely different from, say, level syncing in East Ronf [s] w/ PL. Sure the scale is much greater, but the concept of "exploiting the level sync system" is there in the sense that you can effectively power level your way to 75 assuming you've got someone to level sync. This is something the developers should have foreseen when level sync was implemented.

Either they did foresee, and they didn't care; or they didn't foresee it, and they don't care.

I guess a third option is that they didn't foresee it and they do care and there will be a mass ban/AF burn update... but this seems unlikely.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Serveur: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-04 07:47:07
Link | Citer | R

Krebons said:
i can do alot of things in this game by myself not requireing other peoples time what about you?
oh your a monk, 3 hits and your dead.
before you bash on something, better know what your up against

ninja edit: I dont have to use some Loophole to get xp either, a way the game wasnt intended to play.

I'm pretty sure you aren't soloing Hakutaku as 63BST/31NIN.
[+]
 Titan.Shirai
Serveur: Titan
user: Shirai
By Titan.Shirai 2009-06-04 08:14:49
Link | Citer | R

I know this was meant for someone else, but as a carreer summoner I have to answer to this temper tantrum as jealousy is dripping off the post.

Krebons said:

Saying you know is not saying you did, you do not impress me.
Hakutaku I may not be able to solo as there's too much agro in the way, Despot and Aquarius I have solo'd however.
I have also solo'd the ToAU Khimera 13 mission, have regularly solo'd the Shooting Fish BCNM20 and solo'd the Like the Wind ENM and uninvited guests BC quite a few times.
Next to that, I actually have solo'd a lot more stuff then that too.

In the famous words of previous posters; get off that high horse because that's my spot!
I may consider giving the spot back once you actually solo something noteworthy.

Quote:

Solo'd my summoner from level 55 to level 75 and a good part of my merits.
Bombs and Snolls work, other then that there's Sprinklers in Ru'Ann Gardens, Hpemde in Al'Taieu, Imps in the mire and of course these days there are VoF and Campaign battles.

Quote:

See above.

Quote:

According to SE offical statements Astral flow is working the way it's intended.
So no this is not a loophole as it actually requires the use of a two hour, and no they will not change this (any time soon anyway), but cry enough and they may!
By that time however I will have finished meriting and maybe using this mainly to get my subjobs up.
[+]
 Hades.Kenster
Serveur: Hades
user: Kenster
By Hades.Kenster 2009-06-04 09:05:55
Link | Citer | R

Can anyone give advice for pulling the zone? I tried it a few times but I am having monsters despawn by the time I get them to the party. Also, Do you have more than 1 puller?

Thanks
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-04 09:09:47
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Most people I know (including myself) think SMN burns aren't worth the effort once you actually take the time and effort to get it working to a reasonable level. It isn't easy, and its prone to alot of error.
 Titan.Shirai
Serveur: Titan
user: Shirai
By Titan.Shirai 2009-06-04 09:37:13
Link | Citer | R

It takes a lot of effort to do this right and it cannot be done with just anyone.
I for one only static this with linkshell members, advantage is everyone knows what to do and because of that pulling and setting it up does not take so godawfully long making this way to get merits or level a subjob pretty viable for us.

To answer Kenster:
Yes, we use two to three pullers and a 'Tank'.
As a couple of the members have access to more then one level 75 character this also enables us to rotate the secondary characters if they are in need of a buffer or a few merit points and take along other LS members as 'Leech' from time to time.
 Odin.Aramina
Serveur: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-04 09:47:21
Link | Citer | R

I tinkered with this a little bit with some friends, and we definitely had some issues in getting it to work right, but none of us had done it before. We had one person doing the pulling and tanking, so that greatly limited how many mobs you could get, and we were getting in the neighborhood of 30-35 the few times we tried.

We also had issues with mobs despawning after the AF Pact went off, sometimes between one SMN's pact and the next. I'm sure it was a case of us doing something "wrong" but we had some ideas to try for the next time around, too.

Simply said, it's not as easy to pull off as a lot of people seem to think. It takes precision and coordination to do it well, and if you do it poorly, you won't get even as much exp as you might just spending the time out going it "old school" for a while.

I'd really like to understand the inner workings of it a little better, but at the same time, there's not much else that I want to level, so it would be more a cheap merit pump for me than anything else.
 Garuda.Reublucian
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Reublucian 2009-06-04 09:53:10
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Most people I know (including myself) think SMN burns aren't worth the effort once you actually take the time and effort to get it working to a reasonable level. It isn't easy, and its prone to alot of error.

Me and my Ls do it almost every night, tell you what, 1-75 smn in around 3 days (We didn't even do it 3 days straight, you just need good guidance on how to do it, and yes it was our very first time astral flowing). Trust me it's worth the effort..hahahaha and it isn't even a daunting effort, if you have good pullers,lots of characters,and people who aren't HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, you can get a *** ridiculous amount of xp. Our average pull is around 35-44k, and it's about 35 minutes between each pull so I'm assuming ( no offense ) neither you or your friends have done an effective/correct SMN burn. To be honest, pickup/shout summoner burns give it a bad name, because usually they aren't even doing it correctly. It's not hard to do really..
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 14:09:46
Link | Citer | R

perma 5 ppl, 4/5 have second chars to pull with. only 1 person (sometimes) needing to swap jobs. This cuts pull time down A LOT. our avg is about 15 min pull, 5 minute kill. roughly averaging 2 runs/hr
 Lakshmi.Alaric
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: vdemitry
By Lakshmi.Alaric 2009-06-04 14:31:37
Link | Citer | R

My 1st time trying it 2 nights ago, it was crazy in 5 min from 13 i landed 18, didn't even know what hit me. So PT set up suggested will be 3-4 SMN's 1 COR and 1BRD get dice for exp and song (refresh).. of course you need a good puller and tank that can pull this of.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-06-04 15:12:10
Link | Citer | R

Be nice if ppl actually look up some of the 20 other threads with the same info in it.
 Ifrit.Drizilu
user: Drizilu
By Ifrit.Drizilu 2009-06-04 16:42:35
Link | Citer | R

Summoner burning is still a hot topic and people want to discuss it as more and more people find out about it. Past threads are past threads, but this thread is current. Yesterday I tried my first smn burn w/Dinarii and I have to say getting 10 - 11 levels in 15 minutes is not a bad thing compared to all the time we have spent over the past few years developing our characters and jobs. Most people who do summoner burn parties are more advanced in the game and have 75 jobs with capped skills (i.e. weapon, magic, etc...). If some skills aren't capped such as elemental, summoning, etc... these can easily be increased in skill up parties (as discussed in past forums). As for Maat's cap, it isn't on everyone's priority list to beat him, and I’m sure it’s on no one’s priority list to fight him gimped. However, to enjoy the game it is nice to be able to select from a large variety of jobs and subjobs in order to team up and complete difficult missions. This is why I praise summoner burn parties.

Most people who are against summoner burns are either jealous or do not know how to conduct them properly. I gotta say, exp chain 110 is nice and I soon look forward to seeing 139 or maybe 150. Happy adventuring!
 Siren.Temeraire
Serveur: Siren
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2009-06-04 17:12:26
Link | Citer | R

Drizilu said:
Summoner burning is still a hot topic and people want to discuss it as more and more people find out about it. Past threads are past threads, but this thread is current. Yesterday I tried my first smn burn w/Dinarii and I have to say getting 10 - 11 levels in 15 minutes is not a bad thing compared to all the time we have spent over the past few years developing our characters and jobs. Most people who do summoner burn parties are more advanced in the game and have 75 jobs with capped skills (i.e. weapon, magic, etc...). If some skills aren't capped such as elemental, summoning, etc... these can easily be increased in skill up parties (as discussed in past forums). As for Maat's cap, it isn't on everyone's priority list to beat him, and I’m sure it’s on no one’s priority list to fight him gimped. However, to enjoy the game it is nice to be able to select from a large variety of jobs and subjobs in order to team up and complete difficult missions. This is why I praise summoner burn parties.

Most people who are against summoner burns are either jealous or do not know how to conduct them properly. I gotta say, exp chain 110 is nice and I soon look forward to seeing 139 or maybe 150. Happy adventuring!

1. SMN burns are not new. They first appeared in SMN forums some years ago when SE introduced CoP wyrms and everyone figured out how good SMN was on HNMs. The only change is level sync, and even then how-to guides began appearing about a month after level sync made its debut.

2. If you take the total time it takes to take a group out to a location, get everyone together on the right job, do all the pulls, make the kills, and then rebuild your group so you can go again, it is not significantly faster than a very good XP or merit PT when you compare it on a player by player basis (i.e. including the ones NOT getting XP on the burn).

3. I've done several events with people on jobs they leveled from the teens to 75 via SMN burn. In each case, they had very nice gear. In each case, they could rationalize that the job they were playing was similar to one they already had at 75. In each case, they played like total ***.

Note that I have done a few SMN burns myself. I am not speaking from ignorance, nor am I jealous. And if chain 110 is as high as you got, then I was involved in burns conducted better than yours was.

I am not opposed to SMN burn in principle. What I am opposed to is the idea that SMN burn produces "much faster" XP, produces more fun from the game, or produces players able to compare well with people who take the time to level a job the old-fashioned way. Until I see some evidence of this, I will continue to regard SMN burn as easy XP for people who don't want to XP a job or who are doing it for ego purposes (Maat's Cap or lotting privileges in LSes that have faulty lotting systems).
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7