Will We Regret Video Games On Our Death Bed?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Will We Regret Video Games on our Death Bed?
Will We Regret Video Games on our Death Bed?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-06-21 12:23:28
Link | Citer | R

But in all In all seriousness, though, I try not to think about what people "should" and "should not" do unless they are a part of my life. I don't want my kids to smoke crack, and I tend not to befriend morbidly obese people who spend their entire lives eating. I think a balanced lifestyle of physical and mental activity is important and rewarding.

But I also think that there's probably one thing about EVERYONE that, if I cared to involve myself in their lives, I would want to say, "you're doing it wrong."

I know avid hikers that smoke. I know several people that probably drink more than they should. I would be surprised if anyone I know told me that they had never eaten McDonald's. Ever been sunburned? OMG YOU KNOW YOU'RE INCREASING YOUR RISK FOR SKIN CANCER!

So, I let them draw their own line, and I draw mine. Live and let live, right?

But when someone does draw a line for someone else, things get sketchy really fast. If 99 out of 100 people think free climbing cliff faces is unnecessary, but one person finds it incredibly rewarding and fulfilling, what then? What if 51 of 100 find jogging unnecessary? What about someone who leads an ideally healthy life according to the FDA, except every Friday night, enjoys a fat cigar and a few glasses of scotch? What about a cocaine addict who is able to keep a job, pay bills, and refuses medical care? There's unlimited variations - and exactly 0 universal answers to any of them.

Also:
[+]
 Odin.Tsuneo
Serveur: Odin
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-21 12:24:16
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I've got some borderline nihilistic ideals. I'll completely destroy my body if I want to.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2012-06-21 12:27:11
Link | Citer | R

Goofing off with a game, no. Goofing off on AH, maybe.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 12:27:44
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
This all started because the guys friend got a little fatter... he claimed it is a burden on him... I called him selfish...

Reading is hard.... "His own physician told him he needed to watch what he ate and increase physical activity."

Doctor's dont tell your fat because you get a "little fatter." They tell you, your cholesterol and weight are a concern, when they are over a certain medical threshold.

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Voicing your concerns? That's fine. Insist they change their lives because how they live offends/upsets you? Then you're even more selfish than they are.
Depends if your close to them or not. A spouse, and family members and loved ones have every right to do so.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:27:52
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Goofing off with a game, no. Goofing off on AH, maybe.
You regret the time we share together?!?! /cry
 Odin.Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-21 12:29:25
Link | Citer | R

I'd probably be an alcoholic by now if I wasn't concerned with my physique. I guess the only regret I have with all the gaming is that I could gotten more wasted.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:30:31
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
This all started because the guys friend got a little fatter... he claimed it is a burden on him... I called him selfish...
Reading is hard.... "His own physician told him he needed to watch what he ate and increase physical activity." Doctor's dont tell your fat because you get a "little fatter." They tell you, your cholesterol and weight are over a certain medical threshold.
Hey look you're back :) I thought you were done? I still don't see how this is a burden on you...
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-06-21 12:31:20
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Tsuneo said: »
I'd probably be an alcoholic by now if I wasn't concerned with my physique. I guess the only regret I have with all the gaming is that I could gotten more wasted.

I don't have fun playing unless I wake up the next day with a hangover and a keyboard sticky from spilled whiskey!

jk, I actually rarely drink.
 Odin.Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-21 12:33:24
Link | Citer | R

I definitely don't drink while I game because then I'm drinking by myself which makes me feel like a loser.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 12:34:05
Link | Citer | R

Hey look you're back :) I thought you were done? I still don't see how this is a burden on you...

You're circumventing the point. You did or did not say "it all started because the guys friend got a little fatter." The physician diagnosed him with high cholesterol and medical-over-weight. Thats not a "little fatter." Learn to read and comprehend its not hard.

Secondly. Its a burden because we are bff's. Bff's care. I'm not sure how old you are, or your life's experiences. But friends and family members generally(emphasis on generally) care about the health/well-being of one another.

It may not be in you definition of friendship/family. But it is for quite a few individuals.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2012-06-21 12:37:20
Link | Citer | R

I have friends and family that are over weight... I've never had to pay for their medical bills... Your assumption is that people that are fat are also poor? or have no medical insurance so they can not afford anythign on their own? Even if... the comment had nothing to do with financial burden lol...

People get told all the time to "not be fat anymore" so they're already encouraged enough... overweight/obesity is by far not the only nor the leading contributor to increased insurance premiums or costs... in most cases it a contributing factor in other ailments they already have...

Are you calling me fat sir?!?! /outraged lol....

the point is on a personal level someone sits there and decides well this is ok to be butthurt about and this isn't... I can bug you to do this or that and its a crime against humanity... but if I bug you about this its all good...

Like I said earlier... on a personal level you can be concerned about someone... but when you sit there and tell me that he has a problem and then you make it all about yourself... well then you're pretty self-centered in my book...

You seem to think that I'm making broad sweeping statements that apply to everyone. This is certainly not the case, I'm only talking about particular hypotheticals. In no way am I implying that all fat people are poor, etc etc. And I'm not talking about random people telling others on the street to change their lifestyle, that's wrong, and was never my point. I simply stated that it could, in some circumstances, affect close family/friends. As for being butthurt, as I've said, I don't mind if you're fat (and no, I'm not specifically calling you fat either), but the costs imposed on others because of accommodating for the obese are not fair. Whether this is done for through reducing obesity, or making said person have to pay for it, is an entirely different issue.

Edit: pressured into eating? Say you over eat due to another condition you suffer from... Would that make it ok to you then? lol...

As I said earlier:

Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said: »
disregarding certain extenuating circumstances
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2012-06-21 12:38:39
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Where do you guys get off thinking you're thoughts and feelings should override someone's choice of lifestyle? We're all in the process of dying, some people live the way they live because it really makes them happy, and others do so because they perceive it to be making the best of a shitty situation. Either way, it's really none of your business if your best friend or a complete stranger chooses to eat pizza and play video games everyday.

Voicing your concerns? That's fine. Insist they change their lives because how they live offends/upsets you? Then you're even more selfish than they are.

I'm not saying it upsets me, not in the slightest. However, as mentioned in my other posts, the financial cost it imposes on society isn't fair.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:41:05
Link | Citer | R

You're circumventing the point. You did or did not say "it all started because the guys friend got a little fatter." The physician diagnosed him with high cholesterol and medical-over-weight. Thats not a "little fatter." Learn to read and comprehend its not hard. Secondly. Its a burden because we are bff's. Bff's care. I'm not sure how old you are, or your life's experiences. But friends and family members generally(emphasis on generally) care about the health/well-being of one another. It may not be in you definition of friendship/family. But it is for quite a few individuals.
I forgot that if a doctor says it that means serious business lol...

Maybe you should read... and learn to comprehend as well lol... Like I've said.. It's ok to care about someone... but when you take an issue that someone else has and make it a burden for yourself that's being selfish... You can offer help and if they want it great... imposing your own or even a doctors view on them is wrong... it's a choice they must make for themselves...

You act like him getting fat is some terrible ordeal for you like his problems are a burden for you... it's almost like his feelings don't matter as they are just a problem for you... like his life is for you... while we may care about the people in our lives... while we may want to help them... their lives are still their own... its not about us...
 Odin.Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-21 12:44:19
Link | Citer | R

I got fat once, and I lost most of it playing video games. I lost like 45 lbs sitting around playing video games, and I lost another 25 with cardio. I wouldn't necessarily say video games are to blame for weight gain. That mostly comes to down to self control. I weigh 160 lbs now, and it wasn't cause I played less video games.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:45:41
Link | Citer | R

You did make broad sweeping generalization... I mean... you said the financial strains cost it imposes on society is unfair... You made no specific claim about certain people or that others that would fall under that category were exempt... oh unless there were certain extenuating circumstances... so for some its alright to be fat but others not lol...

There are plenty of things in this nation that put a financial burden on society... Welfare for one... Are all the people on welfare just lazy bums that refuse to get a job? Man... why do I have to pay for them to sit around all day right man?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 12:46:26
Link | Citer | R

I forgot that if a doctor says it that means serious business lol..

You don't seem to understand how physicians work when they diagnose you. There's a huge range of liability when they diagnose you and provide treatment.

Physicians/RNs etc diagnose you for over-weight and cholesterol based on set guidlines by the AMA: gender, age, height and a variety of other factors. There is a systematic way of determining overweight/cholesterol. When a physician tell's you you need to loose weight and lower cholesterol its not because you got a little pudgy- its pretty serious.

Ultimately, if you choose not to take a doctors' professional opinion regarding your weight/cholesterol seriously. That says something about you and the respect you have for your own life, and those close to you.
 Odin.Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-21 12:48:24
Link | Citer | R

People close to me was a terrible motivator for me. I only got it off when I decided to do it for myself.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:51:26
Link | Citer | R

I forgot that if a doctor says it that means serious business lol..
You don't seem to understand how physicians work when they diagnose you. There's a huge range of liability when they diagnose you and provide treatment. Physicians/RNs etc diagnose you for over-weight and cholesterol based on set guidlines by the AMA: gender, age, height and a variety of other factors. There is a systematic way of determining overweight/cholesterol. When a physician tell's you you need to loose weight and lower cholesterol its not because you got a little pudgy- its pretty serious. Ultimately, if you choose not to take a doctors' professional opinion regarding your weight/cholesterol seriously. That says something about you and the respect you have for your own life, and those close to you.
I can't tell if you're even being serious anymore lol...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 12:56:15
Link | Citer | R

This has never been about whether the issue your friend had was serious or not... Stop telling me about how if a doctor or an RN tells you so its serious business...

this is about you being self-centered... taking his issues and making it about yourself... its not about you... it never was... it's about him... make a suggestion/tell him you care/whatever... but caring is not forcing your views and making it about yourself...3

Edit: how about I put it this way so you can hopefully be able to understand this... When you make it about yourself... when its about the fear of losing someone or the effect their actions or whatever have on you... It's selfish... You are no longer putting the focus on the person "suffering" and care about their wellbeing for the sake of their wellbeing but rather their well being for your own sake... hence selfish or self-centered...
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2012-06-21 13:02:32
Link | Citer | R

If I had extra money and could afford to go out and do other things, then maybe I'd regret spending so much time on FFXI. But other than that, no way. There are people in various parts of the U.S. that I consider friends that I've never met in RL. One of my best friends I met on FFXI and have not met in RL but we text practically everyday, just about stupid stuff. Neither one of us play anymore but we got a friend out of the deal.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2012-06-21 13:03:17
Link | Citer | R

You did make broad sweeping generalization... I mean... you said the financial strains cost it imposes on society is unfair...

If you think I made broad sweeping statements, then through my fault or your own, you have misunderstood my point. Obese people creating a financial cost on society is a fact. I never specified how much the cost is, because it will vary from person to person. I suppose there are some people who will ignore treatment, so this does not apply to them, and is a flaw in my argument, however, I'm inclined to believe they are in the minority. If this is not the case, I retract my statement.

You made no specific claim about certain people or that others that would fall under that category were exempt... oh unless there were certain extenuating circumstances... so for some its alright to be fat but others not lol...

The extenuating circumstances I mentioned is exactly the specific claim that you're talking about. Some people cannot control their obesity due to glandular conditions, agoraphobia, and many other conditions. In this case, it is not a conscious choice of the person in question. This is exactly what I was talking about.

There are plenty of things in this nation that put a financial burden on society... Welfare for one... Are all the people on welfare just lazy bums that refuse to get a job? Man... why do I have to pay for them to sit around all day right man?

Just like with any public system, there will be people who abuse it, and this is a huge shame. Some people on benefits are probably just lazy, should they get benefits. No. Others will genuinely need them. Where you make the distinction is another argument altogether, and not one I really want to get into. Your argument however, makes the claim that those people who are costing society through their own choice (by being lazy and not getting a job), should not be allowed benefits. You can draw some very strong parallels between that argument and mine.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-21 13:05:04
Link | Citer | R

This has never been about whether the issue your friend had was serious or not... Stop telling me about how if a doctor or an RN tells you so its serious business...

Aww... so your psychic now? Huh! Well that changes everything. You read my mind. I had absolutely no concern with my friend dieing of a heart-attack of developing diabetes. I'm just a selfish mofo *** lol

Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 13:13:47
Link | Citer | R

I never made a claim that anyone should be denied benefits...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 13:20:56
Link | Citer | R

Aww... so your psychic now? Huh! Well that changes everything. You read my mind. I had absolutely no concern with my friend dieing of a heart-attack of developing diabetes. I'm just a selfish mofo *** lol
You said it was hard on you as a friend... Why is it hard on you? Should only be hard on him... There's a difference between caring about a friend and making it about yourself...

Oooo I haven't seen Ms. Cleo around in some time!
By Artemicion 2012-06-21 13:33:47
Link | Citer | R

Why should anyone regret something that brought them personal enjoyment or even to a degree, (even if only superficially) fulfillment?
Example: Finishing CoP prior to the nerfs, and watching that final 'Distant Worlds' cutscene. I think I had tears in my eyes.

In my opinion, the only thing one should regret is having not treated someone they love or care about better after their passing, either in death or by becoming estranged.
[+]
 Odin.Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-21 13:42:43
Link | Citer | R

I do regret that I don't get much enjoyment from it now, so it feels like a waste of time in retrospect.
By Artemicion 2012-06-21 13:45:13
Link | Citer | R

I remember seeing an interesting quote awhile back, but basically it said something along the lines of:

"Never regret anything, because at some point in time, it was exactly what you wanted."

If anything, this points out the simple fact that our minds change with us. What we found to be logical or fulfilling may not be so several years, or even months down the line. We're constantly evolving creatures, not necessarily on a biological scale but rather a psychological one.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-21 13:50:21
Link | Citer | R

I don't know, sometimes we chose to destroy ourselves or other times we just had no *** clue what we were doing.
Some regrettable things always exist.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-06-21 14:01:54
Link | Citer | R

Time we enjoy wasting is not wasted time.