Do BLMS Still Latent?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Do BLMS still latent?
Do BLMS still latent?
First Page 2 3
 Phoenix.Sylvani
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Sylvani
By Phoenix.Sylvani 2012-06-02 16:43:10
Link | Citer | R

Just got my Strendu ring (1/1) woo:) and I am wondering if BLMs nowadays even latent with the Sorcerer's ring or if I should just go Icesoul/Strendu or Sorcerer's Ring/Strendu?

Any input (i'm sure there will be alot)

-Syl
 Fenrir.Mesic
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Mesic
By Fenrir.Mesic 2012-06-02 17:27:10
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Sylvani said: »
Just got my Strendu ring (1/1) woo:) and I am wondering if BLMs nowadays even latent with the Sorcerer's ring or if I should just go Icesoul/Strendu or Sorcerer's Ring/Strendu?

Any input (i'm sure there will be alot)

-Syl

Use it if you can. Always. Make a macro for the latent if you dont already have one. Someone might come in an argue icesoul is better cause of INTs effect on resistance but eh, it'd be barely negligible, and at 99 with ele merits (or maybe even without nowadays) nothing should be resisting you.
 Bismarck.Cicada
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Cicada 2012-06-02 17:29:48
Link | Citer | R

Probably, and I still don't hesitate to cure them to full. >:3
[+]
 Caitsith.Zefiris
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2012-06-02 17:36:51
Link | Citer | R

I would spam my hp macro and drain your mp to zero. Except you would probably be fine since you get like 50 mp/tick refresh now.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mesic
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Mesic
By Fenrir.Mesic 2012-06-02 17:38:49
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Cicada said: »
Probably, and I still don't hesitate to cure them to full. >:3

LOL. So many flashbacks.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sylvani
By Phoenix.Sylvani 2012-06-02 19:44:29
Link | Citer | R

I just usually tell healers I latent and then just let them either listen to me or drain their MP. So i'll probably go Sorc/Strendu and have fun
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-06-02 23:34:33
Link | Citer | R

Hadn't really touched blm in a while but I stopped using sorc when abyssea became the focus of the game. For me, it's always been an annoyance with the extra inventory the hp gear requires.
 Siren.Stunx
Serveur: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2012-06-02 23:56:06
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zefiris said: »
I would spam my hp macro and drain your mp to zero. Except you would probably be fine since you get like 50 mp/tick refresh now.

cept its not realistic to use latent in aby cuz you need to be down to like 700hp. assuming that's what you mean by 50 tic refresh.

with atmacite and temps avail most of the time, its not worth using anymore imo. specially not when so many things can 1 shot a blm these days lol.
 Cerberus.Mystina
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Lede
By Cerberus.Mystina 2012-06-03 00:54:44
Link | Citer | R

Not at all. and even then most people don't want BLM for damage in VW, Rex is about the only thing BLMS are highly desired for and the LAST thing you want on him is low HP of any kind.
 Asura.Nightbear
Serveur: Asura
user: Nightbear
By Asura.Nightbear 2012-06-03 01:14:20
Link | Citer | R

If you are a good BLM, Icesoul ring full time = gimp blm, 7 int does not beat Sorc.Ring, BLM well played still the top DD, there is something called Magic Burst, you need DD's with brains and know how to count to 3 to fully display your BLM potentionon a nice Skill chain to Magic burst situation. hehe the memories of silly whms curing me to full /ma "Warp II" <healer>, I usually give them 3 nice warnings about my latent, good whms will know not to cure you while you are on your latent, anyone not able to do it just replace your healer. :)
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-06-03 01:18:04
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Nightbear said: »
BLM well played still the top DD, there is something called Magic Burst, you need DD's with brains and know how to count to 3 to fully display your BLM potentionon a nice Skill chain to Magic burst situation.
lol
[+]
 Phoenix.Sylvani
By Phoenix.Sylvani 2012-06-03 01:25:01
Link | Citer | R

Good BLM's know how to deal enough damage over time without pulling hate, and even then there is Enmity Douse which can save our *** now. I'd rather do more damage than be a gimp
[+]
 Cerberus.Mystina
By Cerberus.Mystina 2012-06-03 01:36:21
Link | Citer | R

If you are a good BLM, Icesoul ring full time = gimp blm, 7 int does not beat Sorc.Ring, BLM well played still the top DD, there is something called Magic Burst, you need DD's with brains and know how to count to 3 to fully display your BLM potentionon a nice Skill chain to Magic burst situation. hehe the memories of silly whms curing me to full /ma "Warp II" <healer>, I usually give them 3 nice warnings about my latent, good whms will know not to cure you while you are on your latent, anyone not able to do it just replace your healer. :)

[+]
 Siren.Stunx
By Siren.Stunx 2012-06-03 01:37:25
Link | Citer | R

riiiight show me some parses to back that *** up. even perfectly executed and if by some miracle you manage to live long enough(perma fana drink and inf MP) to push blm damage in most of today's current content, it will be far from "top DD"
 Cerberus.Mystina
By Cerberus.Mystina 2012-06-03 01:47:58
Link | Citer | R

Good BLM's know how to deal enough damage over time without pulling hate, and even then there is Enmity Douse which can save our *** now. I'd rather do more damage than be a gimp

If you're a good blm you'd be making sure red is caped 1st, and by that time all DDs will have caped hate or the mob is already dead before your damage even starts to matter. with the expection of rex and bismark. and even then, if you are stupid enough to be using the latent ring you won't be living long enough, and course your enimity douse will have a chance to cool down while you are waiting on your weakness timer.

you do realize that it's a 10 minute recast, right?
[+]
 Siren.Stunx
By Siren.Stunx 2012-06-03 01:50:39
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Mystina said: »

If you're a good blm you'd be making sure red is caped 1st, and by that time all DDs will have caped hate or the mob is already dead before your damage even starts to matter. with the expection of rex and bismark. and even then, if you are stupid enough to be using the latent ring you won't be living long enough, and course your enimity douse will have a chance to cool down while you are waiting on your weakness timer.

you do realize that it's a 10 minute recast, right?

TKO, nothing left to be said other than... provide parses to prove otherwise~
By Cannibis 2012-06-03 03:06:15
Link | Citer | R

I still use sorc ring on my BLM, and honestly I had asked a few other BLMs what they thought about whether or not it is useful and all of them said to go sorc ring if you have it. More often than not, the BLMs that don't use Sorc are either A) taru or B) Too much of a noob at the job to figure out how convert HP to MP gear works. If you have the means to keep all your convert gear on you then sorc ring should be part of your BLMs main equipment.
 Cerberus.Dizzmal
user: Dizzmal
By Cerberus.Dizzmal 2012-06-03 03:26:18
Link | Citer | R

Cannibis said: »
I still use sorc ring on my BLM, and honestly I had asked a few other BLMs what they thought about whether or not it is useful and all of them said to go sorc ring if you have it. More often than not, the BLMs that don't use Sorc are either A) taru or B) Too much of a noob at the job to figure out how convert HP to MP gear works. If you have the means to keep all your convert gear on you then sorc ring should be part of your BLMs main equipment.

I agree. It also depends on what you are doing. If you are just a proc *** for VW/Abyssea, no point in Sorc ring honestly. If you are solo/duoing or if you are really able to cut loose, yes sorc ring it up. Most well geared Blms should have both sets on hand.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-06-03 03:45:23
Link | Citer | R

I basicly stopped using Sorc ring due to issues with some gearswaps for hp down sets (cant swap from one body to another then back to the first one very fast reliably), and all the extra pieces of gear it took.
I find it more beneficial to have somewhat of a mdt\pdt set instead.
[+]
 Ramuh.Kailana
user: Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-06-03 03:55:24
Link | Citer | R

I don't use it often because there's not much of a need for it where the HP down effect isn't going to be a detriment. Some voidwatch content it's fine, except you're going to get cured, even if you tell them not to cure you. If you're in abyssea, you likely know MAB has diminishing returns. Ultimate/Hells Guardian is like 100 MAB right there. Abyssea is probably the best place to use it, as you don't need gear to yellow you...just cancel your HP buff. The buff comes right back and leaves you in yellow.

Older content you don't really need it anymore, but it probably is the best ring for your slot beside strendu. The only issue is inventory space, and a lot of us just don't have the space to justify hp down gear, as we have like 10+ 99 jobs. (You'll often see BLMs using that god awful scythe, because they say they don't have inventory room for 8 HQ/magian staves. Yes, this drives me batty too, but HP conversion gear for a sorc ring and those 8 staves is a lot of space. I beg you, at least bring your staves) You can do just fine without it. The choice in this content is entirely up to you.

As mentioned before, the only real thing BLM really shines on anymore is Rex, and you do not want yellow hp fighting rex. That's just suicide.

I don't full-time the ring, and I do not believe for one second my BLM is gimp. The ring is situational now, as much as I hate to say it. Draining a stupid WHMs mp is honestly not practical, and can be a colossal pain in the *** outside abyssea. The one thing it has going for it is BLMs can survive a lot easier now, what with stoneskin+ gear, enmity douse and manawall.

Use the ring, or don't. It's your call. Abyssea is probably the easiest place to get use out of it, as you don't need that hp yellow gear there, but the gains of the ring there are severely diminished with the colossal amount of MAB atmas at our disposal. Older content, we're a lot stronger than we used to be. Voidwatch, you're there to proc, your damage won't hold a candle to the top DDs. On certain mobs that ring is borderline suicide, on others it's a handy tool to have.

tl;dr: ***'s situational, and whoever posted the double-facepalm, thank you. That was one of the more BS posts I've read in a long time. XD
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-06-03 04:00:53
Link | Citer | R

Mystina should just be happy there's BLMs out there dying to use Arise on! :P

Edit:
And aparantly now he should be happy he can Meteor stuff. Damn him.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-03 04:04:41
Link | Citer | R

If you have space in gobbiebag for hp/mp gear you probably forgot to bring something important.
[+]
 Ramuh.Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-06-03 04:08:24
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
If you have space in gobbiebag for hp/mp gear you probably forgot to bring something important.

I'm thinking pdt/mdt set. Remember, BLM has that OTHER latent ring. xD
 Asura.Malekith
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2012-06-03 04:27:22
Link | Citer | R

it's an earring, not a ring yo!
 Ramuh.Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-06-03 04:35:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Malekith said: »
it's an earring, not a ring yo!

It's 6:30 am, cut me some slack :P
 Kur
By Kur 2012-06-03 04:59:45
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Kailana said: »
Use the ring, or don't. It's your call. Abyssea is probably the easiest place to get use out of it, as you don't need that hp yellow gear there, but the gains of the ring there are severely diminished with the colossal amount of MAB atmas at our disposal. Older content, we're a lot stronger than we used to be. Voidwatch, you're there to proc, your damage won't hold a candle to the top DDs. On certain mobs that ring is borderline suicide, on others it's a handy tool to have.

tl;dr: ***'s situational, and whoever posted the double-facepalm, thank you. That was one of the more BS posts I've read in a long time. XD

How is Abyssea the easiest? I would think it the hardest. Since Sorc ring doesn't behave as say the Bard ring. You can't just cancel your hp buff in abyssea to activate the Sorc rings latent. You must have the exact same hp that you calculated outside aby for it to work inside. If that is 700 hp, you need 700 hp inside aby to get it to proc.
[+]
By javelinx 2012-06-03 05:07:54
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Stunx said: »

cept its not realistic to use latent in aby cuz you need to be down to like 700hp. assuming that's what you mean by 50 tic refresh.

with atmacite and temps avail most of the time, its not worth using anymore imo. specially not when so many things can 1 shot a blm these days lol.

HP/MP convert gear works proportionally to the increased hp gear in abyssea, so you use the same convert gear inside and outside abyssea and it will still work. 7 slots of convert gear for an elvaan
 Siren.Stunx
By Siren.Stunx 2012-06-03 05:09:33
Link | Citer | R

javelinx said: »
Siren.Stunx said: »

HP/MP convert gear works proportionally to the increased hp gear in abyssea, so you use the same convert gear inside and outside abyssea and it will still work. 7 slots of convert gear for an elvaan

doesnt matter, the ring looks at ur pre enhancement hp%.

Aby rules are new!
 Ramuh.Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-06-03 11:24:10
Link | Citer | R

Oh. Well if that's the case, then that ring can go die in a fire. I can't justify that many inventory slots for hp conversion gear when I gotta carry around PDT/MDT gear too.

Again, use of the ring is your guys' personal preference, but it's nowhere near as essential as it used to be.
First Page 2 3