users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Relic +2 Set
Relic +2 Set
 Asura.Malekith
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Malekith 2011-12-02 13:36:12
Link | Citer | R

We've all seen that SS posted and I wanted to ask for a clarification on something that has always bugged me.

Q: NQ Relic legs are understood to give 5% potency to spells that matched the day. Is saying that they give +5 MAB the same thing?

I'd always operated under the assumption that it was, and if that's the case then wouldn't the Relic +2 legs (7.5 MAB total) be better even if they dropped the "Elemental magic affected by day" aspect?
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-12-02 13:49:26
Link | Citer | R

The +2 Goetia legs, imo, would still be your primary nuking piece, then swapping into the +2 Tonbon, if for nothing else, the -enmity.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Serveur: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-12-02 13:50:53
Link | Citer | R

Sorcerer's beats Goetia+2 on day of week. 5% potency > 7 MAB
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-12-02 13:53:07
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Thoraeon said: »

In abyssea with Ultimate and HG on, definitely.

Outside, not so much, although the 3 INT makes it close.

New Sorc Tonban +2 with 5 MAB and 5 INT are better than both.
 Asura.Dtroyy
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-12-02 13:53:58
Link | Citer | R

By Ericnuke 2011-12-02 13:54:22
Link | Citer | R

I would assume taking off the bonus for the day and adding mab would make it less situational and more full timed, with the af3 +2 legs being the better choice. I'm kinda surprised they didn't add a set bonus to the af2 +2 armors.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-12-02 13:55:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Dtroyy said: »
I need to augment my shadow set now?
 Asura.Dtroyy
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-12-02 13:56:02
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Liltrouble said: »
Only HQ trews
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-12-02 13:58:08
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Liltrouble said: »
Only HQ trews
I don't have HQ, having used the shadow gear strictly for town gear, but I am 5/5 NQ. Wouldn't the Augments on NQ be comparable? and where can I get the Abj? Do I have to start going back to Elinherjar?!?
 Asura.Dtroyy
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-12-02 13:59:48
Link | Citer | R

NQ only goes upto 7 MAB so theres not much point, and yeah you would need todo Einherjar again :x
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2011-12-02 14:02:03
Link | Citer | R

I'm not asking what's the best leg piece is, so thanks Dtroyy. Respectfully can we try and stick to the question being asked?

Q: NQ Relic legs are understood to give 5% potency to spells that matched the day. Is saying that they give +5 MAB the same thing?

If that's the case, why? Why is 5% potency better than 7 MAB? With respect to the math behind the game what does the equation look like?

Intuitively I'd always felt relic > empy +2 just from all the nukes I've done. Tbh I haven't really even cared about any of this till recently, but now I'm just trying to get a better understanding here.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-12-02 14:03:38
Link | Citer | R

NQ only goes upto 7 MAB so theres not much point, and yeah you would need todo Einherjar again :x
I know when I considered doing HQ, I found a synther to make the HQ cursed. I got like, 4-5 NQ synths before he made the HQ. He told me that he wanted 2M for the HQ, even after we agreed on 1M when he HQ'd. I had already invested that much alone on mats and about 50,000 Ichor on chains, etc. I told him to kiss my ***. I really don't wanna go through all of that again X
 Siren.Thoraeon
Serveur: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-12-02 14:22:24
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Malekith said: »
I'm not asking what's the best leg piece is, so thanks Dtroyy. Respectfully can we try and stick to the question being asked?

If that's the case, why? Why is 5% potency better than 7 MAB? With respect to the math behind the game what does the equation look like?

Intuitively I'd always felt relic > empy +2 just from all the nukes I've done. Tbh I haven't really even cared about any of this till recently, but now I'm just trying to get a better understanding here.

Very simplified equation:
(base damage)*(MAB bonus)*(Staff Bonus)*(day bonus)
Assuming 60 MAB from gear (not including legs) (not unreasonable for a decently geared BLM)
Base 40 MAB
95 Magian Staff
1000 Base Damage
Ignoring INT boost from Sorc Legs for simplicity

You get this:
Goetia: 1000*(1+.4+.67)*1.35*1.1 = 3073.95
Sorcer: 1000*(1+.4+.6)*1.35*1.15 = 3105
The tonban come out ahead.

Tonban+2 will have results similar to Goetia

Keep in mind, the more MAB you have, the less potent it becomes.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-12-02 14:27:28
Link | Citer | R

I'm whiteboxed on Blm so upgrading to +2 will be less challenging for me and I'll no doubt +2 each piece for the set, if nothing else. I'll do like everyone else and test each piece as well, including the legs. However, another piece that I'm looking at is the hands. I have cherished my +1 hands for years, but had recently replaced them with Avesta Bangles for obvious reason. I don't see any reason why I'd go back to Sorcerer's, even at +2
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [57 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Greezy
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Greezy
By Bismarck.Greezy 2012-01-28 23:33:22
Link | Citer | R

Sorcerer's Tonban+2 seems more of a waste imo. being since 5% potency > 7 MAB from Sorcerer's Tonban+1 is better on the matching day. has anyone tested if the macc for AMII is signifigant on the upgrade trial? im definately at a crossroads for this piece.
 Phoenix.Bomber
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-01-29 00:00:12
Link | Citer | R

Potency cant be compared to MAB it's a total different stat .. Obis,sorc pants,zodiac ring,twilight cape,NQ/HQ staves and affinity magian staves posses this stat the more you have the more powerful your nuke is and in abyssea BLMs usually go Ultimate+Beyond+MM
By Yamoto 2012-01-29 01:44:47
Link | Citer | R

Here are some numbers to compare for those who are curious.
Google Docs Clicky
Enemy INT ranging from 1 to 200 INT then averaging those out. Numbers are assuming Taru 99BLM/RDM with no INT merits (forgot about those...) using this set (minus the legs of course):

Sorc.+2 does win out on higher INT mobs but only barely. However, NQ/+1 still wins over +2 on correct day. Personally, I'm going to stick with my NQ and my Goetia +2 since the damage difference between Goetia and Sorc. +2's are so small.

No gear set for this, but using +32 MAB from gear, if you're nuking something with INT ranging from 76-80, Goetia+2 and Sorc.+2 are equal. Above that range, Sorc.+2 wins out by a very small margin, below, Goetia+2 wins by a small margin.

A big question to whether or not to +2 this is if you are able to have both the NQ/+1 and the +2 at the same time.

If you can have both, and if you are obsessed with OMGWTFEPEEN damage, then get NQ/+1 and +2 both. If you're not too worried about a 6 damage average increase (or if you can't have both), then stick with Goetia+2 and NQ/+1.