BYU Honor Code
First Page 2 3
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2011-03-03 10:46:24
Link | Citer | R

Okay I suspect there will be a lot of different takes on this. First for those unaware here is the background:

BYU Men's basketball team 2 days ago was ranked #3 in the nation and in line for a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. They have national player of the year candidate Jimmer Fredette. 2 days agao a story broke that one of the players came forward for honor code violation and was thus suspended for the remainder of the year. BYU promptly lost their next game to an unseeded team, ruining their chances at a #1 seed and probably costing them a potential run to the final four.

That player's name was Brandon Davies and today it was revealed the honor code violation was that he had sex with his girlfriend.

Here is my take:

I applaud BYU for standing by their principles and honor code. You may or may not agree with it, that is the not the argument here, the fact is, every BYU student is aware of the code of conduct, signs it, and BYU stood by the principles and did the right thing. This really makes other schools like Ohio State look really bad. (Ohio State suspended 5 players for NCAA violations, but still let them play in the big BCS Bowl Game where they won)

What's your opinion on this?

Again, you may or may not agree with the honor code here, but if you go to BYU you are aware of it.
 Siren.Kuz
Serveur: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-03-03 10:51:21
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud said:
...it was revealed the honor code violation was that he had sex with his girlfriend.

wait...what?
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2011-03-03 10:59:05
Link | Citer | R

Here is the honor code:

Be honest

Live a chaste and virtuous life

Obey the law and all campus policies

Use clean language

Respect others

Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse

Participate regularly in church services

Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards

Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-03-03 11:01:21
Link | Citer | R

Here is the honor code:

Be honest

Live a chaste and virtuous life

Obey the law and all campus policies

Use clean language

Respect others

Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse

Participate regularly in church services

Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards

Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

Thank goodness I'm a free thinker, and not a cult follower.
This just sounds ridiculous.

But then again, who am I to get in the way of someones choice of life. /shrug

EDIT:

Here is the honor code:

Be Boring.

Dull and uninteresting.

Bland, and simple.

And under no circumstances be a "Unique Snowflake"

Sorry, that's how that reads to me.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-03 11:02:57
Link | Citer | R

Okay I suspect there will be a lot of different takes on this. First for those unaware here is the background: BYU Men's basketball team 2 days ago was ranked #3 in the nation and in line for a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. They have national player of the year candidate Jimmer Fredette. 2 days agao a story broke that one of the players came forward for honor code violation and was thus suspended for the remainder of the year. BYU promptly lost their next game to an unseeded team, ruining their chances at a #1 seed and probably costing them a potential run to the final four. That player's name was Brandon Davies and today it was revealed the honor code violation was that he had sex with his girlfriend. Here is my take: I applaud BYU for standing by their principles and honor code. You may or may not agree with it, that is the not the argument here, the fact is, every BYU student is aware of the code of conduct, signs it, and BYU stood by the principles and did the right thing. This really makes other schools like Ohio State look really bad. (Ohio State suspended 5 players for NCAA violations, but still let them play in the big BCS Bowl Game where they won) What's your opinion on this? Again, you may or may not agree with the honor code here, but if you go to BYU you are aware of it.
BYU's honor code is crazy..in all honested I don't know how they even keep ppl at the school, expecially athletes.

Violations are bound to happen and this one hurts and reminds me of the Harvy Unga situation that happened less than a year ago.

If you sign with BYU you are basically under contract to follow a very strict contract that most other colleges won't have. Davies will be burned at the stake and will most def be blamed for BYU's loss. This was a historical season for BYU 27-2 with 2 games left and a sure fire #1 seed in the tourney and you blow (no pun intended) it for you and your team..

It's a sad day for BYU to be so close yet so far away..being from the MWC RPI, SOS those won't matter anymore because you play in a lower confrence (***). Even if they win out and end the season with only 3 loses they will probably end up being a 3 maybe 2. Which is still really good and the highest seed they've ever had.

So damn close.
 Bismarck.Franzrobot
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Quantum
By Bismarck.Franzrobot 2011-03-03 11:03:59
Link | Citer | R

How did they find out he broke this code? Bragging or just too loud?
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2011-03-03 11:06:34
Link | Citer | R

I don't understand how the 2% or so of non-Mormons are able to stand going there.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2011-03-03 11:08:10
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Franzrobot said:

Just speculating here, but his girlfriend may have gotten pregnant. That would make the most sense, because if he was just banging her, why come out now towards the end of the season. She probably got knocked up and his hand was forced. Again just speculation on that.

@Kuz - That's fine if you don't agree with the Honor Code, but again, the argument is. You signed it therefore you live by it. Of course there are those that will not live by in 100%, but thousands upon thousands of BYU students live by it just fine. That goes for the Provo campus, along with the Idaho and Hawaii campuses.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-03 11:10:34
Link | Citer | R

Coffee/Tea is bad? *** moderation lol..
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-03-03 11:10:50
Link | Citer | R

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigham_Young_University
Quote:
located in Provo, Utah, United States, is a private, coeducational research university
two words jump out at me:
Utah
and
private school
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-03 11:11:04
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kyte said:
I don't understand how the 2% or so of non-Mormons are able to stand going there.
Its a great education for very very cheap.
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-03-03 11:11:29
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:

Quote:
The mission of Brigham Young University--founded, supported, and guided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--is to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life. That assistance should provide a period of intensive learning in a stimulating setting where a commitment to excellence is expected and the full realization of human potential is pursued.

This just described Ra's al Ghul
 Bismarck.Xxmugxx
user: Talyn1
By Bismarck.Xxmugxx 2011-03-03 11:12:56
Link | Citer | R

I'm from Utah, Provo is where i grew up and I went to BYU for a year.
The honor code is just that "The honor code" If your under the spotlight stay with it. I think the honor is bs but it's helped a lot of people at that school.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-03-03 11:15:12
Link | Citer | R

2 days agao a story broke that one of the players came forward for honor code violation and was thus suspended for the remainder of the year.
Why the *** would that dumbass admit to it?
Is he trying to embarrass the school nationally for the stupidest rules, seeing all college students have sex?

Hey BYU guy, I'm sure my university will instantly recruit you for their basketball team (who has made it to the playoffs a few times, but never won the first round =( ) and you can screw around with as many chicks as you want!
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-03-03 11:15:25
Link | Citer | R

@Kuz - That's fine if you don't agree with the Honor Code, but again, the argument is. You signed it therefore you live by it. Of course there are those that will not live by in 100%, but thousands upon thousands of BYU students live by it just fine. That goes for the Provo campus, along with the Idaho and Hawaii campuses.

Oh I didn't say what he did wasn't wrong... If you sign anything... be it Honor Code or Legal Papers, etc etc... and you go against it... you've *** yourself (or in his case...his GF)

Just... I don't think I'd ever sign my life away like that.
 Bismarck.Franzrobot
user: Quantum
By Bismarck.Franzrobot 2011-03-03 11:17:29
Link | Citer | R

If she was pregnant why not just pull the immaculate conception card? Fight crazy with crazy, no? This is why no one likes Utah.
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2011-03-03 11:18:49
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kuz said:
Oh I didn't say what he did wasn't wrong... If you sign anything... be it Honor Code or Legal Papers, etc etc... and you go against it... you've *** yourself (or in his case...his GF) Just... I don't think I'd ever sign my life away like that.

Doesn't look like your avatar is making it in to BYU anytime soon. LOL
 Bismarck.Xxmugxx
By Bismarck.Xxmugxx 2011-03-03 11:19:56
Link | Citer | R

"This is why no one likes Utah" WTF... Whats wrong with Utah?!!
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-03-03 11:21:09
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Xxmugxx said:
The Jazz!
 Bismarck.Xxmugxx
By Bismarck.Xxmugxx 2011-03-03 11:23:04
Link | Citer | R

The Jazz suck on there own, but speeking of the whole state?
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2011-03-03 11:25:23
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kuz said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:

Quote:
The mission of Brigham Young University--founded, supported, and guided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--is to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life. That assistance should provide a period of intensive learning in a stimulating setting where a commitment to excellence is expected and the full realization of human potential is pursued.

That made me lol irl.

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Siren.Kyte said:

It's not cheap- it's also costing you freedom over your personal life. Out of curiosity, do those 2%ish of people tend to be just other branches of rather strict Christians?
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-03 11:32:30
Link | Citer | R

If she was pregnant why not just pull the immaculate conception card? Fight crazy with crazy, no? This is why no one likes Utah.
No one likes Utah..come now.
Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Bismarck.Xxmugxx said:
The Jazz!
I lol'd

Imma huge BYU and Jazz Fan..well and a huge fan of the state in general.

This whole honor code violation will bring a lot of "bad light" to BYU..as weird as the honor code is, it is refreshing to see a school stand up to major athletes and defend its vaules.(even if they shoot themselves in the foot for doing so..aka Davies/Unga)
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2011-03-03 11:38:49
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Zorander said:
No one likes Utah..come now.
Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Bismarck.Xxmugxx said:
The Jazz!
I lol'd Imma huge BYU and Jazz Fan..well and a huge fan of the state in general. This whole honor code violation will bring a lot of "bad light" to BYU..as weird as the honor code is, it is refreshing to see a school stand up to major athletes and defend its vaules.(even if they shoot themselves in the foot for doing so..aka Davies/Unga)

So hard to be a die-hard fan of a small-market team. with that said GO JAZZ!!!!
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-03 11:44:01
Link | Citer | R

Yeah that's true but its the only market i've ever known..I grew up going to the games for both BYU and the Jazz. I will forever hate the UofU and no matter how bad either team sucks i will always cheer for them!
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-03 11:45:42
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kyte said:
Siren.Kuz said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Quote:
That made me lol irl.
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Siren.Kyte said:
It's not cheap- it's also costing you freedom over your personal life. Out of curiosity, do those 2%ish of people tend to be just other branches of rather strict Christians?
For a 4 year University that offers as much as they do yes BYU is bery cheap.
 Alexander.Varistor
Serveur: Alexander
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2011-03-03 11:47:35
Link | Citer | R

Being from Wyoming, i am a UW fan and thus will hate BYU athletics forever... :) with that being said, my wife and i love Utah. we really enjoy traveling through Provo canyon and Heber city on our way to California every year. We plan on retiring in St. George. We want our son to attend college at BYU, despite how i feel about them cause i know what a good school it is. But hey, since they left the MWC, i won't have to hate on them so much anymore, maybe... :P
First Page 2 3