users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » BYU Honor Code
BYU Honor Code
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-03-04 02:41:56
Link | Citer | R

Never heard of an honor code before I read this >_> Doesn't exist here as far as I know.
 Phoenix.Blonde
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Blonde
By Phoenix.Blonde 2011-03-04 02:51:09
Link | Citer | R

I think the guy had sex with his girlfriend, and if he is a really good basketball player he will be picked up by another school that doesn't interfere with his personal choices. The next school will embrace his talents, and he will go on to become famous...or a father.
 Odin.Gosuapple
Serveur: Odin
user: gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2011-03-04 09:54:09
Link | Citer | R

Tottoro said:
Odin.Gosuapple said:
Bismarck.Luces said:
Odin.Gosuapple said:

Not sure why you would assume that it is caffeine that is forbidden. The LDS Church does NOT take issue with caffeine, but rather tea and coffee specifically. Did you really think that caffeine was the only bad thing going on there? Ever take a look at the teeth of the British or the Japanese? Tea has tanic acid which destroys calcium and thus they have shitty teeth and old Japanese women walk around bent at a 90 degree angle.

Because the Mormon church told me it was caffeine like 10 years ago... Also there are many kinds of tea out there, not all teas(including herbal "teas" as these would fall under the Honor code) contain that acid, also lots of different blends do not contain any caffeine. Caffeine is the addictive substance in coffee and some teas. The Mormon church forbids a lifestyle in which caffeine is consumed because its an addictive substance. I have had several Mormon employees and whenever I throw a celebration or bring food I make sure to ask(well all my employees) if they have any food/drinks they won't consume due to health/medical/religious/ect... and all but one of the Mormons said they can't drink anything with caffeine, and that they are contempt with the water fountain but I'm a nice guy so I like to get them better, flavored water, ect... This is what I was told by the Mormon church and its members, thus why I believe it. This was also 10 years ago, well the last Mormon employee I had was 4 years ago and he wasn't the soda drinker, y'all have great work ethics for the most part so I love hiring y'all. I rarely drink sodas I feel so much healthier when I don''t and if its been like 3 months and I drink one I feel so sick. I used to drink a lot of coffee but I have a stomach ulcer thanks to a stupid doctor so I avoid it now, and I drink tea a 4-5 x a week as the benefits of it greatly out way the negative sides(except I have to be careful because the wrong teas can upset my stomach ulcer because of the tannin acid.)

Yeah as with any religion there are plenty of dumb members of the LDS church out there. As a result (again as with any religion) the statements made by individual members are not always reliable as accurate as to the actual stance of the church or its doctrines. Having served as a missionary for the church in Japan (where tea drinking is obviously a big thing) I had to be exact in my knowledge of the church's stance and received additional instruction from the church on the matter in the missionary training center. As teas go, herbal teas are actually just fine. It is only teas made from tea leafs that aren't okay.

The caffeine thing is also a common but incorrect misconception that many, including members of the church, hold, but the official stance of the LDS church does not condemn caffeine in any way nor has it ever done so. There are a few reasons for this misconception among some church members but probably the chief reason is that the, then head of the LDS Church (now deceased), Gordon B Hinckley was on a talk show (Letterman if I recall correctly) and was asked "Do you drink caffeine?" He was not being asked about the church or it's policies at this point in the program, merely about himself as a person and apparently as a matter of personal preference he did not drink caffeine and thus said no. A lot of over zealous (aka dumb) church members took this to mean that caffeine was now forbidden and it's just one of those things that caught on.

from official lds website

Quote:
We know that cola drinks contain the drug caffeine. We know caffeine is not wholesome nor prudent for the use of our bodies. It is only sound judgment to conclude that cola drinks and any others that contain caffeine or other harmful ingredients should not be used.

read the very first line on that page:
Quote:

Answers are for help and perspective, not as pronouncements of Church doctrine

As to the question asked about red bull and cola. It's okay in the sense that chocolate cake is okay; i.e., it is not exactly going to make you a pinnacle of health and wellness but it is not specifically forbidden by church doctrine. The actual basis for this teaching can be found in Doctrine and Covenants Section 89 and as originally written forbids "hot drinks." This later is clarified to mean coffee and tea.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-03-04 09:57:45
Link | Citer | R

Hurray for church!

/sarcasm
 Ramuh.Urial
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-03-04 10:00:27
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Never heard of an honor code before I read this >_> Doesn't exist here as far as I know.
Some schools have them. A lot of uni's do actually they just get overlooked for athletes. props to a school who despite having a good run going for their team and him being a top performer this season saying our morals mean more to us than sports. not many schools will do that.
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2011-03-04 10:17:19
Link | Citer | R

I am Mormon also and served a mission in Utah of all places. (grew up in Ohio - thus my ingame name.

It's easy to get caught up in the caffeine/coffee/tea debate, What is the official stance on this of the LDS Church...

Here are the 2 underlying principles: 1- Your body is your temple. and 2. Use Moderation. Again, these are just my own personal thoughts, a lot of Mormons will agree with me, but I'm not saying this is Mormon law.

1- Our bodies are the only things we truly own. We will be with them a long time. I view it as a gift. I believe we should take care of this gift. keep it healthy... We don't generally tatoo it up, we don't generally pierce it full of earrings. Just saying. A lot of these set up heath guildlines are what Mormon's refer to as the Word of Wisdom. These were revealed to the prophet Joseph Smith. It also teaches us to withstain from alchohol, tobacco, and other harmfull drugs. Keep in mind this was back in the 1800's. Did people in that day know all the dangers of alchohol, drugs, tobacco, coffee, tea? No they did not, but they lived by this health code and do continue to do so today because they believed it to be true.

2 Moderation - I personally don't drink cafeine. Why? not as much because the church says I can't. It's just I getting really damn fat when I do. When you do anything in excess it's bad. You don't have to be religous to know that. If I eat at McDonalds 3 times day, I'll be dead before long. I feel we should know our bodies and not indulge on things too much where it becomes addicting and detrimental to our health.

So again, sorry for the long post, I didn't really want to take this too much on the religious side, but I'm seeing a lot of misnomers on Mormons and coffee and tea, and wanted to express my view as an active Mormon on the subject.

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-03-04 10:20:49
Link | Citer | R

Caffeine causes weight gain?

Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2011-03-04 10:26:05
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:

You could make that argument. Caffeine causes a short-lived spike in metabolism followed by a dip in the metabolic rate to below where it actually was before. Combine that with sugar. Yeah. I'm trying to lose weight and cutting out sugared soda was my first step.

As of this morning I've lost 32 pounds since January 3rd.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-03-04 10:32:41
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

You could make that argument. Caffeine causes a short-lived spike in metabolism followed by a dip in the metabolic rate to below where it actually was before. Combine that with sugar. Yeah. I'm trying to lose weight and cutting out sugared soda was my first step.

As of this morning I've lost 32 pounds since January 3rd.
Sugar, yeah definitely I'm right there with you. But caffeine by itself does not cause weight gain. That's like saying crack or meth causes you to gain weight, all of which are stimulants and by nature do the exact opposite. That is why most of the commercial weight loss drugs are stimulants.