Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Westboro
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 14:54:04
Link | Citer | R

Drjones said:
It's funnier because I hate Fox News just as much as the next guy.

I'm glad you noticed it was a joke :3
By Drjones 2011-03-02 14:54:27
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:

Hopefully if it does come down to that, we'll see some restrictions on the first amendment revolving around time, place, and manner so things like this and groups like Westboro don't happen again.
Why do you hate America?

Because you watch Fox News.
Eroding constitutional freedoms is a good thing then?

When it becomes counter productive and goes against fundamental human principles and rights, yeah, to a degree, I do.
Ok, so let's skip straight to global hegemony with civility for all.
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 14:54:58
Link | Citer | R

Drjones said:
Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:

Hopefully if it does come down to that, we'll see some restrictions on the first amendment revolving around time, place, and manner so things like this and groups like Westboro don't happen again.
Why do you hate America?

When it becomes counter productive and goes against fundamental human principles and rights, yeah, to a degree, I do.
Ok, so let's skip straight to global hegemony with civility for all.

Since when did I forgo nationalism?
By Drjones 2011-03-02 14:55:04
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
It's funnier because I hate Fox News just as much as the next guy.

I'm glad you noticed it was a joke :3
It's FFXIAH, my sarcasm meter doesn't work here >_<
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 14:55:39
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:
Why do you hate America?
We have right to not be protested against? Since when
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 14:56:19
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:
Why do you hate America?
the good Americans are self-hating by nature.
True that. But at the same time towering egos
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-02 14:57:10
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Well the person doesn't neccessarily have to know it was false more... ignorance is not an allowable offense. Purposefully spreading stuff without a reasonable belief that it is true is just as damning
Zandra is actually correct here.

You have to prove:

1) Monetary damage was caused by the statement
2) The person knew the statement was false at the time they said it
3) They knew the statement would cause you monetary damage
4) They said it specifically and solely to cause you said damage

If you don't intend to prove all four of these things, you have no case for a libel suit.

You (and your hurt feelings) will get your *** tossed out of court, and likely fined for wasting the court's time.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 14:57:46
Link | Citer | R

Don't mistaken my notions for being anti-American or unpatriotic, and I promise I won't mistaken yours for making you a chauvinist.
It's good to have debates and whatnot like this.

Edit: Alas! It is time for work. Don't have too much fun while I'm gone >.>
By Drjones 2011-03-02 15:00:24
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Don't mistaken my notions for being anti-American or unpatriotic, and I promise I won't mistaken yours for making you a chauvinist.
Fair enough. I just opted to go with some hyperbole but the point I was ineptly trying to make is that eroding constitutional rights is a very dangerous prospect, and one that should not be taken as lightly as you appear to.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 15:05:00
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Well the person doesn't neccessarily have to know it was false more... ignorance is not an allowable offense. Purposefully spreading stuff without a reasonable belief that it is true is just as damning
Zandra is actually correct here.

You have to prove:
1) Monetary damage was caused by the statement
2) The person knew the statement was false at the time they said it
3) They knew the statement would cause you monetary damage
4) They said it specifically and solely to cause you said damage

If you don't intend to prove all four of these things, you have no case for a libel suit. You (and your hurt feelings) will get your *** tossed out of court, and likely fined for wasting the court's time.
So your saying that even if the person didn't know it was truth as long as they didn't know it was an outright lie it doesn't count?
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 15:05:43
Link | Citer | R

Drjones said:
Artemicion said:
Fair enough. I just opted to go with some hyperbole but the point I was ineptly trying to make is that eroding constitutional rights is a very dangerous prospect, and one that should not be taken as lightly as you appear to.

I understand. And my condition which unfortunately I was too vague to point out was it would take a severe national tragedy to even so much as remotely push the idea around into legal action. After all, it took 9/11 to issue the Patriot Act.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-02 15:06:59
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Freedom of speech.

absolutely

i love how so many people here are in favor of free speech until it's something that they don't like hearing
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-02 15:08:00
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
So your saying that even if the person didn't know it was truth as long as they didn't know it was an outright lie it doesn't count?
Pretty much.

Hence why it's very, very difficult to prove a libel/defamation case.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-02 15:09:02
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Freedom of speech.

absolutely

i love how so many people here are in favor of free speech until it's something that they don't like hearing
I'm in favor of free speech to a certain degree. I think what they do is *** and it shouldn't be allowed, but hey that's just me. I know if someone tried to pull this outside the funeral of someone I care about I'd beat the ever loving snot out of them.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 15:10:22
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Pretty much.

Hence why it's very, very difficult to prove a libel/defamation case.
Meh I'd heard otherwise before. Like people knowingly spreading stuff and trying to use ignorance as an excuse didn't really work.

I mean theoretically all you have to do is not research it or it be something there is no way you could know for a fact (like say secret ingredients) and claim you unknowingly lied. I mean for all I know there really is puppies in pepsi
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-02 15:12:58
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I'm in favor of free speech to a certain degree. I think what they do is *** and it shouldn't be allowed, but hey that's just me. I know if someone tried to pull this outside the funeral of someone I care about I'd beat the ever loving snot out of them.
Which is actually their entire business model.

Reports from ex-members, including the son of the Fred Phelps himself, is that a lot of their gig is professional trolling.

Yes, they believe what they're saying, but they survive off being so over the top, someone eventually throws a punch and they get to sue for millions in damages. It's how they keep their operation going.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 15:15:38
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Reports from ex-members, including the son of the Fred Phelps himself, is that a lot of their gig is professional trolling.

Yes, they believe what they're saying, but they survive off being so over the top, someone eventually throws a punch and they get to sue for millions in damages. It's how they keep their operation going.
Hmmm interesting way of making money... wonder if that would still work without the whole church backing.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-02 15:16:59
Link | Citer | R

I'm in favor of free speech to a certain degree. I think what they do is *** and it shouldn't be allowed, but hey that's just me.

free speech "to a certain degree" does not work. we have idea after idea that we live by today that was just as repugnant at one time as the westboro baptist church is to us today.

the idea that the universe did not revolve around the earth was once seen as the height of blasphemy.

the idea of the equality of the black and white races was once seen as infinitely repugnant.

homosexuality was once regarded with the disgust that the westboro baptist church is regarded with today.

the problem with that disgusting minority is that, not very often, but sometimes, they end up being right. and for the sake of the progress of humanity, we must allow them the opportunity to at least make their case.

is the westboro baptist church right? nope. do we kill a beautiful system over 70-some people, throwing the baby out with the bathwater? also nope.

[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-02 15:18:09
Link | Citer | R

Would they necessarily even see a dime from me? I don't exactly have the income to pay for anything they managed to win in court. I don't exactly know what happens when a person doesn't really have the income to pay for one of those ridiculously large lawsuits.
I respect you and what you say.. But..

Like I said, that's just me. That's my opinion on the entire thing and if that makes an ignorant hypocrite, so be it, it won't change.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-02 15:18:38
Link | Citer | R

Would they necessarily even seen a dime from me? I don't exactly have the income to pay for anything they managed to win in court. I don't exactly know what happens when a person doesn't really have the income to pay for one of those ridiculously large lawsuits.

they garnish your wages.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-02 15:20:03
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Would they necessarily even seen a dime from me? I don't exactly have the income to pay for anything they managed to win in court. I don't exactly know what happens when a person doesn't really have the income to pay for one of those ridiculously large lawsuits.

they garnish your wages.
I have no wages. I'm currently unemployed. And from the way things have been, that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.
 Cerberus.Liandaru
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-03-02 15:20:04
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, this to me is what makes the US the best country in the world to live in. I may get flamed for this, and I'm ok with it.

Westboro are a bunch of jerks. I don't think any of us gathered here can come right out and say we agree with what they're doing with their free time.

However, we are blessed to live in a nation where they are allowed to voice their opinions and say what they want without fear of repercussions and censorship by the government. As are we. We can go out on a street corner and scream that "Westboro are a bunch of slime sucking ***". We may get a fine for disturbing the peace, but that's about it. As much as I hate to admit it, living and enjoying life in the US is a paradox. We have the freedom of speech on our side, and proof that the government will back us up in that endeavor. I honestly take heart in this ruling. I also take heart in the fact that one day, these *** are going to push someone too far and someone is going to exercise their right to bear arms :D
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 15:20:58
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
they garnish your wages.
And if that doesn't work (you quit) they can jail you and make you work it off
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 15:22:07
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
I'm in favor of free speech to a certain degree. I think what they do is *** and it shouldn't be allowed, but hey that's just me.
free speech "to a certain degree" does not work.
Well as long as it isn't directly harming people. Like calling fire in a crowded area etc
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-03-02 15:27:22
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Hmmm interesting way of making money... wonder if that would still work without the whole church backing.
They're like "shiiiitshoot, we can't make money helping out our community...lets try harassing them instead!"
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-02 15:28:23
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
free speech "to a certain degree" does not work.
Well as long as it isn't directly harming people. Like calling fire in a crowded area etc

yes, that is certainly true

right to swing fist ends where other man's nose begins etc
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-02 15:28:57
Link | Citer | R

I would suggest reading that link I posted, if you haven't already.

It's quite enlightening about what makes these guys tick.
[+]
 Cerberus.Liandaru
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-03-02 15:31:19
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Link is blocked at work :( But I'm off soon, will read when I get home.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 15:33:06
Link | Citer | R

Your work sucks!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-02 15:34:32
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

have you read "addicted to hate"