First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Zandra
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-03-02 14:16:54
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Gylfie said:
Religion does not exist in my personal world, therefore it does not exist at all.

/bait? <No Thanks>
 Shiva.Gylfie
Serveur: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2011-03-02 14:18:17
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Gylfie, you Jewish?
No, I just felt that Pikachu looked interesting in his current attire, why does it resemble something that exists in your reality?
 Shiva.Gylfie
Serveur: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2011-03-02 14:18:52
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Shiva.Gylfie said:
Religion does not exist in my personal world, therefore it does not exist at all.

/bait? <No Thanks>
Its not bait, its philosophy.
By Andylynn 2011-03-02 14:20:08
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Gylfie said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Gylfie, you Jewish?
No, I just felt that Pikachu looked interesting in his current attire, why does it resemble something that exists in your reality?
yay pikajew
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-03-02 14:20:57
Link | Citer | R

Andylynn said:
Shiva.Gylfie said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Gylfie, you Jewish?
yay pikajew
I smell a trap.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-03-02 14:21:07
Link | Citer | R

Andylynn said:
and you'd be ok if i just claimed you were a dumbass racist chink, based of the prejudice/presumptions based on what you're giving me here? im ok to have this opinion and use derogatory statements because its part of the 'human experience?'

lets examine everything wrong with this statement:
1. implying you are asian based on game name/avatar
2. implying you are racist because you approve of racism
3. implying you are unintelligent because you have a different opinion

it isn't "chasticize the human experience of others because you don't understand moral relativity," it's called having some class and decency. you can go around saying to yourself every racist term in the book in your head as people walk by, but the instant you do it verbally, you're just a plain bigot.

You said it should be illegal.

I'm just pointing out that you're *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Also, I would think you're an idiot for making that statement. That's my right; to think you're a retard. Just like it's your right to think I'm a chinko commy ***.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 14:23:54
Link | Citer | R

Sadly these folks hide behind our constitution to essentially "get away with murder" if you will. However, it's only a matter of time before they step over the line and get themselves in serious trouble with feds, or (preferably) the latter: Someone gets fed up with their ***and starts something. Sadly if it turns out violent, they'll have to take the fall for shutting those fools up, but it'll be a start.

Hopefully if it does come down to that, we'll see some restrictions on the first amendment revolving around time, place, and manner so things like this and groups like Westboro don't happen again.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-02 14:25:00
Link | Citer | R

I couldn't disagree more strongly with Westboro, but I also couldn't agree more strongly with the Supreme Court decision.

Living in a country with freedom of speech means you have to put up with ***like this. (It also means you're free to scream right back at them.)

It's not like they're actually changing anyone's minds with that crap.
[+]
By Andylynn 2011-03-02 14:25:58
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Andylynn said:
and you'd be ok if i just claimed you were a dumbass racist chink, based of the prejudice/presumptions based on what you're giving me here? im ok to have this opinion and use derogatory statements because its part of the 'human experience?' lets examine everything wrong with this statement: 1. implying you are asian based on game name/avatar 2. implying you are racist because you approve of racism 3. implying you are unintelligent because you have a different opinion it isn't "chasticize the human experience of others because you don't understand moral relativity," it's called having some class and decency. you can go around saying to yourself every racist term in the book in your head as people walk by, but the instant you do it verbally, you're just a plain bigot.
You said it should be illegal. I'm just pointing out that you're *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Also, I would think you're an idiot for making that statement. That's my right; to think you're a retard. Just like it's your right to think I'm a chinko commy ***.
it is illegal, dipshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#Libel_and_slander

refer back to my obama example:
Quote:
The Supreme Court ruled in Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc. 418 U.S. 323 (1974), opinions could not be considered defamatory. It is, therefore, permissible to suggest, for instance, that someone is a bad lawyer, but not permissible to declare falsely that the lawyer is ignorant of the law: the former constitutes a statement of values, but the latter is a statement alleging a fact.

the instant you start claiming being gay is detrimental to the person, society, etc in general, you're breaking the law, and violating your belooved first amendment.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-03-02 14:26:19
Link | Citer | R

hey, guess what comes after the First Amendment?

THE SECOND!

shoot those ***...

Luckily for me, the island is like the wild *** west. ***like that happened, you best believe there will be an asskicking or a shoot-out.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-02 14:27:38
Link | Citer | R

That's not how libel works. At all.

Libel is making provably false factual claims about a person in order to do monetary damage. (Ex: "Don't Drink Coke, Its Secret Ingredient is Puppies.") It is not criminal, it merely allows the person to sue you in court for the monetary damages you inflicted via the falsehood in terms of company or individual reputation, etc.

You don't get to sue someone for defamation or for libel for saying something about you that you don't like.

And there are many, many exceptions: "public figures" (politicians, celebrities, etc) don't get to sue people for either because they're seen as "asking for it" by nature of their profession.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 14:28:59
Link | Citer | R

Or ruin there reputation
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-02 14:32:50
Link | Citer | R

Trust me, I know all about the legalities of libel and defamation by now.

Users send us shrieking PM's threatening to sue each other, the site, me personally, or whatever on a nearly weekly basis.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-02 14:33:51
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Users send us shrieking PM's threatening to sue each other, the site, me personally, or whatever on a nearly weekly basis.
Do they still go on posting as normal afterwards?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-02 14:34:58
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Do they still go on posting as normal afterwards?
Of course.
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 14:35:04
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Prior to that knowledge, I'd imagine it would be rather disheartening to receive messages like that on such a regular basis. However, after knowing the ropes of law revolving around such things, I bet it gives a good chuckle these days. Smile and nod~
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 14:35:44
Link | Citer | R

How exactly do they think they can sue you? It's not like you are making the statements that are getting them all up in arms. Even if there was grounds for law suit it's not like you would be accountable

And why would they tell you they are suing someone else lol?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-02 14:36:32
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
How exactly do they think they can sue you? It's not like you are making the statements that are getting them all up in arms.

And why would they tell you they are suing someone else lol?
Idiocy knows no logic.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-03-02 14:36:44
Link | Citer | R

I really cannot imagine a day in the life of Jaerik. It must be so full of sighing and facepalming.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-03-02 14:38:23
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
That's not how libel works. At all.

Libel is making provably false factual claims about a person in order to do monetary damage. (Ex: "Don't Drink Coke, It's Secret Ingredient is Puppies.") It is not criminal, it merely allows the person to sue you in court for the monetary damages you inflicted via the falsehood in terms of company or individual reputation, etc.

You don't get to sue someone for defamation or for libel for saying something about you that you don't like.

And there are many, many exceptions: "public figures" (politicians, celebrities, etc) don't get to sue people for either because they're seen as "asking for it" by nature of their profession.

Not only that, but in order to prove your case you need to demonstrate undeniably that harm was caused by the statements, that the person knew the statements were false, that the person knew it would cause you said harm, and that they did so with the intent to cause you that harm.

Its (thankfully) a very tough battle.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 14:44:09
Link | Citer | R

Well the person doesn't neccessarily have to know it was false more... ignorance is not an allowable offense. Purposefully spreading stuff without a reasonable belief that it is true is just as damning
By Drjones 2011-03-02 14:46:59
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:

Hopefully if it does come down to that, we'll see some restrictions on the first amendment revolving around time, place, and manner so things like this and groups like Westboro don't happen again.
Why do you hate America?
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 14:48:06
Link | Citer | R

Drjones said:
Artemicion said:

Why do you hate America?

Because you watch Fox News.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-03-02 14:48:15
Link | Citer | R

Drjones said:
Artemicion said:

Why do you hate America?
the good Americans are self-hating by nature.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 14:52:05
Link | Citer | R

The constitution's amendments were vague on purpose. They're meant to be open to interpretation, molded and shaped as the years pass and standards of living change, as they have for over 50 years.
To honestly hold yourself and everyone strictly to what it says word for word is pretty foolish, and things would be significantly more *** up than they are now, I can assure you.
By Drjones 2011-03-02 14:52:17
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:

Why do you hate America?

Eroding constitutional freedoms is a good thing then?
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-03-02 14:52:30
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:

Why do you hate America?

LOL-ed
By Artemicion 2011-03-02 14:53:22
Link | Citer | R

Drjones said:
Artemicion said:
Drjones said:
Artemicion said:

Why do you hate America?

Eroding constitutional freedoms is a good thing then?

When it becomes counter productive and goes against fundamental human principles and rights, yeah, to a degree, I do.
By Drjones 2011-03-02 14:53:27
Link | Citer | R

It's funnier because I hate Fox News just as much as the next guy.