A common assertion is that heavy consumption of turkey meat results in drowsiness, due to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey.[50][51][52] However, the amount of tryptophan in turkey is comparable to that contained in most other meats.[17] Furthermore, post-meal drowsiness may have more to do with what else is consumed along with the turkey and, in particular, carbohydrates.[53] It has been demonstrated in both animal models[54] and humans[55][56][57] that ingestion of a meal rich in carbohydrates triggers release of insulin. Insulin in turn stimulates the uptake of large neutral branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), but not tryptophan (an aromatic amino acid) into muscle, increasing the ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood stream. The resulting increased ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood reduces competition at the large neutral amino acid transporter (which transports both BCAA and aromatic amino acids), resulting in the uptake of tryptophan across the blood–brain barrier into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).[58][59] Once in the CSF, tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway.[54][56] The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland.[10] Hence, this data suggests that "feast-induced drowsiness"— may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates, which, via an indirect mechanism, increases the production of sleep-promoting melatonin in the brain.[54][55][56][57]
On the November 18, 2012 episode of the Discovery Channel series MythBusters, Build Team members Tory Belleci, Kari Byron, and Grant Imahara investigated the claimed link between turkey consumption and drowsiness. Byron and a nutrition professor put together three holiday meals, distinguished by portion size and presence/absence of turkey, and Belleci and Imahara took a reaction-time test after eating each one. They found that the amount of food eaten had a much larger effect on the results than whether or not turkey was part of the meal, and they classified the myth as "Busted."
A common assertion is that heavy consumption of turkey meat results in drowsiness, due to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey.[50][51][52] However, the amount of tryptophan in turkey is comparable to that contained in most other meats.[17] Furthermore, post-meal drowsiness may have more to do with what else is consumed along with the turkey and, in particular, carbohydrates.[53] It has been demonstrated in both animal models[54] and humans[55][56][57] that ingestion of a meal rich in carbohydrates triggers release of insulin. Insulin in turn stimulates the uptake of large neutral branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), but not tryptophan (an aromatic amino acid) into muscle, increasing the ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood stream. The resulting increased ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood reduces competition at the large neutral amino acid transporter (which transports both BCAA and aromatic amino acids), resulting in the uptake of tryptophan across the blood–brain barrier into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).[58][59] Once in the CSF, tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway.[54][56] The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland.[10] Hence, this data suggests that "feast-induced drowsiness"— may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates, which, via an indirect mechanism, increases the production of sleep-promoting melatonin in the brain.[54][55][56][57]
On the November 18, 2012 episode of the Discovery Channel series MythBusters, Build Team members Tory Belleci, Kari Byron, and Grant Imahara investigated the claimed link between turkey consumption and drowsiness. Byron and a nutrition professor put together three holiday meals, distinguished by portion size and presence/absence of turkey, and Belleci and Imahara took a reaction-time test after eating each one. They found that the amount of food eaten had a much larger effect on the results than whether or not turkey was part of the meal, and they classified the myth as "Busted."
That rabbit is suffering from turkey-itis. It's what happens when you eat turkey and now you want to do absolutely nothing but sleep.
welcome to the thread senor, Don't recognize that name
It's Senorita, I'm Escorian's fiancee. And I don't post a lot, but I've been around. ^.^
And thank goodness I didn't see that pigeon post. I'm deathly afraid of pigeons. That's reason #5364074X as to why I moved out of NYC the first chance I got.
Is it as good as people say, ignoring the ending of 3?
Definitely. The ending of 3 is still pretty bad since it does an amazingly bad job at conveying the impact of your choices throughout the trilogy, but they've improved the closure quite a bit. Fortunately, the rest of all 3 games respond well to your choices and whatnot.
I feel that the Mass Effect series will probably be BioWare's last good set of games thanks to the EA Leech, would be a shame not to play them.
Is it as good as people say, ignoring the ending of 3?
Definitely. The ending of 3 is still pretty bad since it does an amazingly bad job at conveying the impact of your choices throughout the trilogy, but they've improved the closure quite a bit. Fortunately, the rest of all 3 games respond well to your choices and whatnot.
I feel that the Mass Effect series will probably be BioWare's last good set of games thanks to the EA Leech, would be a shame not to play them.
+1
Definitely play them Fae, they are absolutely brilliant games, ME1 has a few frustrating gameplay drawbacks but that's the only negative I can say about it, however unlike most games that go downhill with sequels, ME2 and ME3 continue to improve on their predecessors both in terms of functionality and quality.
This is a thread that I found on another website I post at. It can be really really interesting. I thought it deserved a place here.
Post your random thoughts for the day here, or anything else that intrigues you.
For starters, is it possible to give constructive critism to someone who doesn't have a neck? I totally just walked by a girl who didn't. Someone isn't getting a necklace for Valentines day!
And who decided black and white can't be colors? I want to say a racist. I really do.