I remember when I was little I really wanted a SEGA Saturn, which was the most popular 'next gen' console at the time. My dad instead came back from the shop with a PlayStation, that no one knew what it was. He pretty much bought one of the very first sold in this country and told me "trust me, this is better".
Indeed, PS lived on, Saturn Idk what befell it but it disappeared into nothingness.
I never liked the Saturn itself. I was more of a SEGA games fan. I did feel a little sad about how the Saturn turned out to be horrible. But that's how life goes.
When SEGA did it right (the Dreamcast) they already had spent most of their money on the garbage the Saturn was (it still has a lot of excellent games even the hardware being so horrible and complex) to keep afloat with the Dreamcast.
For many people in Japan, Dreamcast was their first taste of Internet browsing and chatrooms/forums usage. I find that amazing.
I still own the "Dreameye" (Dreamcast camera/webcam communicator kit) thing.
Because a computer hard drives making company had the mark "mega drive" registered in the USA. But the real name of the thing is "SEGA MEGA DRIVE", "MEGA-CD" and "SUPER 32X":
Here, the MEGA-KLUDGE in all of it's glory:
The small thing at the bottom near the MEGA-CD unit is the karaoke expansion.
I thought the 32x was something different, but I'll admit my Sega knowledge is lacking...
My question is: what is the proper boot sequence for that monstrosity?
My question is: what is the proper boot sequence for that monstrosity?
Turn it on without a cartridge and the CD BIOS menu kicks in. Plug in a cartridge and if it's a MEGA DRIVE cartridge it will boot normally. If it's a 32X cartridge, same deal.
With a 32X unit fitted, the CD system can play 32X CDs.
N64 was Nintendo's answer to the PlayStation. PlayStation only exists because Nintendo was stupid.
After the CD fiasco Nintendo never again had total grip on the video games market.
So, that's how N64 is where it lost itself. They kept their formula set in stone, though. They're still releasing underpowered hardware and relying on programming or marketing gimmicks.
The NES/Famicom had programming gimmicks. They switched to "real" gimmicks with the Wii (Wii remote).
Now that's old, they're having to resort to their IPs to survive.
Edit: Amiibo is a gimmick... Forgot about that... haha
N64 was Nintendo's answer to the PlayStation. PlayStation only exists because Nintendo was stupid.
After the CD fiasco Nintendo never again had total grip on the video games market.
So, that's how N64 is where it lost itself. They kept their formula set in stone, though. They're still releasing underpowered hardware and relying on programming or marketing gimmicks.
The NES/Famicom had programming gimmicks. They switched to "real" gimmicks with the Wii (Wii remote).
Now that's old, they're having to resort to their IPs to survive.
Edit: Amiibo is a gimmick... Forgot about that... haha
I'd entirely agree with this assessment except that their IPs generally still are great games, even if they're not as great as other ones in their respective series, they're still enjoyable, and don't rely on top notch hardware and actually put in substance.
I mean the Xbone literally had the gimmick of "tv, sports, halo." and I honestly couldn't tell you anything about the PS4, as it doesn't interest me in the least. (ah, aside from their controller using direct input again instead of x-input on the PC, which is interesting).
I'd entirely agree with this assessment except that their IPs generally still are great games, even if they're not as great as other ones in their respective series, they're still enjoyable, and don't rely on top notch hardware and actually put in substance.
I mean the Xbone literally had the gimmick of "tv, sports, halo." and I honestly couldn't tell you anything about the PS4, as it doesn't interest me in the least. (ah, aside from their controller using direct input again instead of x-input on the PC, which is interesting).
I wouldn't touch anything *console* on the current generation with a 10 foot pole.
I remember in 7th grade, being a loner I didn't have many friends and my school was the middle school all elementary school students in the district ended up at if they didn't transfer. Bunch of new people I didn't know and the ones I did fell into their cliques of friends. One day at lunch a kid was talking to another kid about Majora's Mask, other kid wasn't interested but we ended up becoming good friends talking about the game, we stayed friends until junior year when he dropped out. Kinda sucks but he was funny.
I remember when I was little I really wanted a SEGA Saturn, which was the most popular 'next gen' console at the time. My dad instead came back from the shop with a PlayStation, that no one knew what it was. He pretty much bought one of the very first sold in this country and told me "trust me, this is better".
Indeed, PS lived on, Saturn Idk what befell it but it disappeared into nothingness.
Yeah, I was an assistant manager at a Funcoland when the Playstation came out. I had alot of friends that said the Sega Saturn was going to rule the market. I stood by the Playstation and my friends were amazed by it. What probably got them more interested was the fact, at that time, I had every game that came out.
But overall, I still liked the Dreamcast as the launch day console. I was already gone from Funcoland and they were Gamestop, but I liked the release titles more on the Dreamcast when it was released.
My N64 story was from me playing Goldeneye at a friends house.
Another friend of mine needed money at the time and was going to sell his N64, he only had a few games but didn't know about 'Goldeneye'. So he sold it to me, we went out for lunch and I bought my copy of 'Goldeneye' and went to my house. He was so pist off, I still don't let him live it down.
EDIT> The ending of the story was when I found out a friend of my moms couldn't afford to get her kids any toys for Christmas. I had a few things and gave her the N64 with all the controllers and games. While it was a few years old, I had smash brothers and Mario Party which I knew her kids would love to play.
I first got to play N64 with the same friend who got me into FF. Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, SSB. I later got my own from a pawn shop, my sister had a cockatoo that would break itself out of its cage and it chewed my controller cord. I player through half of OOT and MM several times with a shortened, spliced controller cord. I found a better one with a rumble pack at a thrift store 3 years ago and bought it.
Anyone remember the story of the mom who was trying to get stuff pulled off the shelves after catching her daughter with an N64 controller down her pants? That made me laugh.
This is a thread that I found on another website I post at. It can be really really interesting. I thought it deserved a place here.
Post your random thoughts for the day here, or anything else that intrigues you.
For starters, is it possible to give constructive critism to someone who doesn't have a neck? I totally just walked by a girl who didn't. Someone isn't getting a necklace for Valentines day!
And who decided black and white can't be colors? I want to say a racist. I really do.