Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » blm/sch
blm/sch
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Bodhizapha
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Bodhizapha 2010-12-01 08:55:50
Link | Citer | R

time to dust off my 37 sch and bring it up to 45, looks like that is now my new sub, now if only blm would get gravity...
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
Serveur: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-12-01 09:09:21
Link | Citer | R

Oh, it could be worse. My SCH is level 6, and SE just made it a viable SJ. Well...it was always a viable SJ, but I never liked the complete lack of defensive abilities on the old /SCH.

Even with the defensive changes to /SCH, /RDM will still be my default SJ. It's hard to give up Gravity, Fast Cast on spells other than Black Magic (assuming Addendum: Black will be active most of the time on BLM), Refresh (I'll take this over Sublimation unless I'm worried about frequent sleepgas from mobs), Convert, a MDB trait, Phalanx, Slow, Paralyze, and Silence (I've been using these 3 enfeebles more than ever since Abyssea came out).

If I want the support/defensive spells of the new /SCH, I'd rather just /WHM. /WHM doesn't force me to blow all my charges switching between Addendum White and Black.

If I'm looking at a long fight on BLM, then sure, /SCH will eventually win out on MP conservation. MP's not a concern in Abyssea though if you have the right Atmas.
[+]
Serveur: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-12-01 09:13:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:
Oh, it could be worse. My SCH is level 6, and SE just made it a viable SJ. Well...it was always a viable SJ, but I never liked the complete lack of defensive abilities on the old /SCH.

Even with the defensive changes to /SCH, /RDM will still be my default SJ. It's hard to give up Gravity, Fast Cast on spells other than Black Magic (assuming Addendum: Black will be active most of the time on BLM), Refresh (I'll take this over Sublimation unless I'm worried about frequent sleepgas from mobs), Convert, a MDB trait, Phalanx, Slow, Paralyze, and Silence (I've been using these 3 enfeebles more than ever since Abyssea came out).

If I want the support/defensive spells of the new /SCH, I'd rather just /WHM. /WHM doesn't force me to blow all my charges switching between Addendum White and Black.

If I'm looking at a long fight on BLM, then sure, /SCH will eventually win out on MP conservation. MP's not a concern in Abyssea though if you have the right Atmas.

blm/sch does not require you to use Addendum: Black for spells, only Dark Arts.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-12-01 09:22:20
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Darkestknight said:
Asura.Eeek said:

blm/sch does not require you to use Addendum: Black for spells, only Dark Arts.

But it will be necessary to switch Arts if you want/need access to status cures.

On another note, /SCH would be the better SJ for controlling a large pack of mobs. If something goes wrong and/or mobs wake up early, BLM/SCH won't get smacked around like a cheap hooker (or lose MP via Mana Wall). Manifestation Bind or Break will be nifty on a pack of mobs when Sleepga2 is about to wear off. It'll make it a trivial matter to reapply Sleepga1.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-12-01 09:33:17
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:

Heh.... I was just talking about this in the SCH forum. /SCH is your new ultimate sub. Screw gravity, you're enfeebling magic sucks anyways. Grab your obis, get all 6 staffs and pile on the weather spells with the current day and you gain an automatic 20% to your nukes. Who can turn that down?

/SCH now has Stoneskin, Blink, RERAISE etc etc everything you need and you hardly have to give up any Fastcast. The only thing you do give up is Gravity....

20% > Gravity.... its so much better I'm even thinking of lvling BLM just to take advantage of it.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-12-01 09:45:38
Link | Citer | R

Why is Scholar the new ultimate sub? Who cares about weather, with Blizzard V you won't need the weather spells up to 45 (Most people put merits in Blizz/Thundr cause highest tier. Most people do Thunder/Blizz magian staves for the same reason. Blizz V I can see doing more dmg still than Aero V on windday with weather on. Toss in Atma of the Beyond and Minikin and...yea). I'd prefer refresh over sublimination. With the the rediculous refresh in abyssea, convert, and temp items the half MP strat or MP-% from Dark Arts isn't even all that awesome. Add Fast Cast II, Gravity, and Phalanx. How often are you even in a situation when you need to worry about Bind-ga, Break-ga, etc? I think I'll stick with RDM. If Ebuillence was lowered to 45-49 I'd change my mind lol.
[+]
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-12-01 09:52:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:
But it will be necessary to switch Arts if you want/need access to status cures.

You don't get those status cures /rdm though, so it's just a plus.

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Why is Scholar the new ultimate sub? Who cares about weather, with Blizzard V you won't need the weather spells up to 45. I'd prefer refresh over sublimination. With the the rediculous refresh in abyssea, convert, and temp items the half MP strat or MP-% from Dark Arts isn't even all that awesome. Add Fast Cast II, Gravity, and Phalanx. How often are you even in a situation when you need to worry about Bind-ga, Break-ga, etc? I think I'll stick with RDM. If Ebuillence was lowered to 45-49 I'd change my mind lol.

Sublimation is better than Refresh, costs nothing, and better still stops sleep from working on you as it charges.

Phalanx is not all that subjob level, I'll give you Fast Cast II though you do get a 10% casting, and recasting time reduction under the arts.

RDM is a great subjob, no denying it, but giving SCH these spells makes SCH a worthy contender.
[+]
 Bismarck.Arcos
Serveur: Bismarck
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2010-12-01 09:54:40
Link | Citer | R

Situational. Far too easy to bind/gravity kite with /RDM and convert when needed.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-12-01 10:01:50
Link | Citer | R

I agree that giving those spells to SCH make it a MUCH better sub than it was. I'm just saying I'll be sticking with /RDM lol. Aero V on day with weather isn't going to top Blizz V with Merits/Magian Staff (Beyond in Abyss) even on winds day so subbing /sch for weather won't convince me. Even when /49SCH comes I don't think I would sub Scholar for 1 hour of Ice weather.

I'm not in a situtation often enough where crowd control is even needed, so Manifestation won't convince me to sub scholar either.

Sublimation as a sub yea is a little better, but like I said with all the refresh sources in abyssea and temp items, Sublimation won't convince me to /sch either.

The only thing that will convince me to sub SCH is lowering the level of Ebuillence so BLM/SCH can use it.

[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-12-01 10:03:02
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Darkestknight said:
Asura.Eeek said:

You don't get those status cures /rdm though, so it's just a plus.

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Why is Scholar the new ultimate sub? Who cares about weather, with Blizzard V you won't need the weather spells up to 45. I'd prefer refresh over sublimination. With the the rediculous refresh in abyssea, convert, and temp items the half MP strat or MP-% from Dark Arts isn't even all that awesome. Add Fast Cast II, Gravity, and Phalanx. How often are you even in a situation when you need to worry about Bind-ga, Break-ga, etc? I think I'll stick with RDM. If Ebuillence was lowered to 45-49 I'd change my mind lol.

Sublimation is better than Refresh, costs nothing, and better still stops sleep from working on you as it charges.

Phalanx is not all that subjob level, I'll give you Fast Cast II though you do get a 10% casting, and recasting time reduction under the arts.

RDM is a great subjob, no denying it, but giving SCH these spells makes SCH a worthy contender.

That's been my overall point this whole time. /SCH, instead of being a suicidal subjob, is much more useful now! That being said, my preference will still be /RDM. Overall, it's the more diversified and useful of the two subjobs, but with that being said, I'm glad BLM has another viable and strong subjob option. I could definitely see myself using /SCH depending on the situation at hand.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-12-01 10:06:13
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Why is Scholar the new ultimate sub? Who cares about weather, with Blizzard V you won't need the weather spells up to 45 (Most people put merits in Blizz/Thundr cause highest tier. Most people do Thunder/Blizz magian staves for the same reason. Blizz V I can see doing more dmg still than Aero V on windday with weather on. Toss in Atma of the Beyond and Minikin and...yea). I'd prefer refresh over sublimination. With the the rediculous refresh in abyssea, convert, and temp items the half MP strat or MP-% from Dark Arts isn't even all that awesome. Add Fast Cast II, Gravity, and Phalanx. How often are you even in a situation when you need to worry about Bind-ga, Break-ga, etc? I think I'll stick with RDM. If Ebuillence was lowered to 45-49 I'd change my mind lol.

You're not seeing the big picture BLIZ V with ice weather and OBI is an extra 10% onto your nukes... 20% if on Iceday. That's an AUTOMATIC EBULLIENCE buff at the sacrifice of a 7INT belt? Trust me AERO V +20% will compete with BLIZ V. FIRE V +20% will outdo it completely.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-12-01 10:10:43
Link | Citer | R

who uses sublimation in abyssea? only reason i used it recently was mega-boss dynamis and just for the sake of not being slept by that thing. Aspir II made it so much easier now. Sublimation is a kinda nice treat to have but actually usefull it's only before lvl 80 in some situations.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-12-01 10:11:44
Link | Citer | R

You don't get Firestorm at /45SCH. Alot of people only get Ice and Thunder Magian Staff. So no, Aero V on day with weather with Auster Staff, won't beat Blizz V with Merits and Magian Staff. Hailstorm isn't until 49, maybe I'll feel different then.

Not to mention with Atma of the Beyond. Wind spells can gtfo.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-12-01 10:18:36
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said:
You don't get Firestorm at /45SCH. Alot of people only get Ice and Thunder Magian Staff. So no, Aero V on day with weather with Auster Staff, won't beat Blizz V with Merits and Magian Staff. Hailstorm isn't until 49, maybe I'll feel different then.

You know there is a game to play outside of Abyssea. While /sch gets up to windstorm NOW, it will get up to hailstorm by 99. By all means don't take advantage of it, actually I'd prefer it be that way, then I can buff the way I do and completely out nuke you, every which way.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-12-01 10:21:17
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Bahamut.Bojack said:

You know there is a game to play outside of Abyssea. While /sch gets up to windstorm NOW, it will get up to hailstorm by 99. By all means don't take advantage of it, actually I'd prefer it be that way, then I can buff the way I do and completely out nuke you, every which way.

While you do have a point, there's more to playing BLM than simple nuking.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-12-01 10:25:04
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Bahamut.Bojack said:

Not much.... That's why there is SCH
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-12-01 10:36:18
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Bahamut.Bojack said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Blizz V with Aquilo's (against Auster's) outside of Abyssea still won. ~10% from merits, ~10+ INT (Aquilo's + Belt), and the spell itself will probably already do 10% or more then Aero V alone.

Maybe at 99. /sch is not the ultimate sub job to BLM yet.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-12-01 10:54:37
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Eeek said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Bahamut.Bojack said:

Awww, I thought you were smarter than that. :(
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-12-01 11:04:55
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Eeek said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Bahamut.Bojack said:

Aside from the elemental debuffs what can a blm do that any other job can't?

Awww, and here I was thinking that you were smarter than that. :(

I'm semi trolling but seriously Nuke/sleep/repeat is the bread and butter of BLM.

Crowd control: SCH is better RDM is about equal
Enfeebling: RDM, SCH is better
Healing: WHM SCH RDM SMN are better
DOT: RDM is better, SCH is about equal

What am I missing the elemental debuffs?
By Kaup 2010-12-01 11:30:15
Link | Citer | R

The biggest bonus that I can see using /SCH for now is using Alacrity + that new fast cast trait for elemental magic for near instant nuking.

Could be useful when kiting a mob that is immune to bind or grav.
[+]
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-12-01 16:23:10
Link | Citer | R

Kaup said:
The biggest bonus that I can see using /SCH for now is using Alacrity + that new fast cast trait for elemental magic for near instant nuking.

Could be useful when kiting a mob that is immune to bind or grav.
Fast cast is caped at 50% so you can't stack it with the job trait.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-01 16:29:20
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Eeek said:
Oh, it could be worse. My SCH is level 6, and SE just made it a viable SJ. Well...it was always a viable SJ, but I never liked the complete lack of defensive abilities on the old /SCH. Even with the defensive changes to /SCH, /RDM will still be my default SJ. It's hard to give up Gravity, Fast Cast on spells other than Black Magic (assuming Addendum: Black will be active most of the time on BLM), Refresh (I'll take this over Sublimation unless I'm worried about frequent sleepgas from mobs), Convert, a MDB trait, Phalanx, Slow, Paralyze, and Silence (I've been using these 3 enfeebles more than ever since Abyssea came out). If I want the support/defensive spells of the new /SCH, I'd rather just /WHM. /WHM doesn't force me to blow all my charges switching between Addendum White and Black. If I'm looking at a long fight on BLM, then sure, /SCH will eventually win out on MP conservation. MP's not a concern in Abyssea though if you have the right Atmas.
Heh.... I was just talking about this in the SCH forum. /SCH is your new ultimate sub. Screw gravity, you're enfeebling magic sucks anyways. Grab your obis, get all 6 staffs and pile on the weather spells with the current day and you gain an automatic 20% to your nukes. Who can turn that down?

/SCH now has Stoneskin, Blink, RERAISE etc etc everything you need and you hardly have to give up any Fastcast. The only thing you do give up is Gravity....

20% > Gravity.... its so much better I'm even thinking of lvling BLM just to take advantage of it.
Except you aren't gaining 20% dmg. You are only going from 10 to 20% if it was day already. So 9% increase. Even then only on 1 element. And yeah blms can do good with enfeebling magic not sure what you smoking.
[+]
 Asura.Railock
By Asura.Railock 2010-12-01 16:49:12
Link | Citer | R

Well crap, not really up to soloing another squishy mage job to 30+ but looks like I won't have a choice.

Oh well, R.I.P. /RDM.

Oh silly me, I forgot about Gravity.
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-12-01 17:12:46
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Screw gravity, you're enfeebling magic sucks anyways. Grab your obis, get all 6 staffs and pile on the weather spells with the current day and you gain an automatic 20% to your nukes. Who can turn that down?

Great, another one who just nukes only.

And since when does BLM enfeebling magic suck? Do you have any idea how many skill+ gear there's available to us? I have 340 at the moment and I could quite easily hit 350+ if I gave BLM a little more attention. Oh yea and Sleep/Bind/Grav are all INT based, and let me guess our INT sucks too?

Only thing we lack is MND for Para/Slow but that doesn't mean we're incapable of landing them either, but they're not on the top of my list of vital things to land anyway.

I don't understand the Reraise point either as all BLM carry Reraise earrings anyway so that's not really here of there, and besides, the times I'd need /SCH Reraise is for the times I don't have Gravity.

While /SCH is very powerful you're not hitting the right valid points.

[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-12-12 00:26:06
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:

Healing: WHM SCH RDM SMN are better
wat
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alaron
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Alaron 2010-12-12 00:38:43
Link | Citer | R

I've always been a big fan of /sch, albeit I'm not really a Blm of any note. I just like the "Go Big or Go Home" motto.
 Bismarck.Tonythetaru
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tonythetaru 2010-12-12 00:48:41
Link | Citer | R

/sch for pt situations, /rdm for soloing/lowman. ***is situational.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-12 04:39:04
Link | Citer | R

Might be intersting doing worms in abyssea. Group them together aga sleepga aspirga
 Jar
By Jar 2010-12-13 12:50:42
Link | Citer | R

id only ever /rdm again if i needed grav to kill something and with everything's immune that's really worth it /sch is seeing more use as of late for the dmg boost thing your talking about <.< not really a large boost over /rdm

Oh and /sch is viable solo Vs gravity immune mobs
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/14166/desert-boots
these are a dream <3
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-12-13 16:34:40
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Tonythetaru said:
/sch for pt situations, /rdm for soloing/lowman. ***is situational.

RDM offers little to nothing in Abyssea, 90% of the mobs resist gravity and bind. So useless.

I suppose convert, but that's it.
First Page 2 3