Cerberus.Kvazz
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-14 15:17:21
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
Has it really come down to refresh and sublimation... really. How often do you guys run out of mp in abyssea? All the atma and buffs I never have a problem with mp and I'm galka.
Lol on blm? Quite a bit I only use minkin for refresh. The rest is dmg

this
[+]
 Valefor.Flodrop
Serveur: Valefor
user: Flodrop
By Valefor.Flodrop 2010-12-14 15:20:26
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
Has it really come down to refresh and sublimation... really. How often do you guys run out of mp in abyssea? All the atma and buffs I never have a problem with mp and I'm galka.

ya i use minkin and beyond, but i still don't run out of mp unless I'm getting hit with manawall up. I just don't see how mp can be a problem to blms now.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-14 15:25:31
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Flodrop said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
ya i use minkin and beyond, but i still don't run out of mp unless I'm getting hit with manawall up. I just don't see how mp can be a problem to blms now.
It's easy. Cast a 250-350 mp spell every 10-15 seconds with only gaining like 50 or so mp in that time. I think you don't spam like I do lol. Then again most blms I see in abyssea barely cast so I can see how you aren't running low
[+]
 Valefor.Flodrop
By Valefor.Flodrop 2010-12-14 15:33:01
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
It's easy. Cast a 250-350 mp spell every 10-15 seconds with only gaining like 50 or so mp in that time. I think you don't spam like I do lol. Then again most blms I see in abyssea barely cast so I can see how you aren't running low

You are right i usually don't spam. I just focus on doing triggers if needed.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-14 15:47:23
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Flodrop said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
Well if Im on blm to trigger I'm probably the only one... and with well atma'd mnk tanks I need to get those trigger spells in fast before it dies ;)
[+]
 Asura.Rinkydink
Serveur: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-12-14 15:59:35
Link | Citer | R

ive been playing around with /rdm and /sch just for lulz

and tbh.. /rdm is great with what everyone else has said.
however imo /sch gives more reliability

losing fastcast? yes it CAN make a difference if your the only blm and working on speed and crowd control, having said that.. if you know the SCH job well you can pretty much get the Alacrity>spell down to a T.

a lot is preference.. the and then obv.. situational
 Valefor.Flodrop
By Valefor.Flodrop 2010-12-14 16:00:27
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Flodrop said:
Well if Im on blm to trigger I'm probably the only one... and with well atma'd mnk tanks I need to get those trigger spells in fast before it dies ;)

Ya i see why i don't run out of mp much then. We usually have 2-3blms so going thru all the spells go fast.
 Bismarck.Maxse
Serveur: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-12-14 16:30:24
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Screw gravity, you're enfeebling magic sucks anyways. Grab your obis, get all 6 staffs and pile on the weather spells with the current day and you gain an automatic 20% to your nukes. Who can turn that down?

Great, another one who just nukes only.

And since when does BLM enfeebling magic suck? Do you have any idea how many skill+ gear there's available to us? I have 340 at the moment and I could quite easily hit 350+ if I gave BLM a little more attention. Oh yea and Sleep/Bind/Grav are all INT based, and let me guess our INT sucks too?

Only thing we lack is MND for Para/Slow but that doesn't mean we're incapable of landing them either, but they're not on the top of my list of vital things to land anyway.

I don't understand the Reraise point either as all BLM carry Reraise earrings anyway so that's not really here of there, and besides, the times I'd need /SCH Reraise is for the times I don't have Gravity.

While /SCH is very powerful you're not hitting the right valid points.

However good your enfeebling magic skill is /rdm it will be higher /sch. You give up bind but you have break so you still have an alternative when you've maxed out sleep. You loose refresh but you have sublimation which is more efficient at giving you back MP. You gain weather boosts to your nukes. You loose gravity which is a shame but with sleep 1&2 AND break you should be able to manage just fine. You loose phalanx but how much does ~25 DMG save you when the mob is hitting for 300 and you already have stoneskin up anyways? You loose fastcast but gain arts effect which is basically a wash.

You gain alacrity, parsimony, and manifestation. At the very least /sch is way better for crowd control situations. /rdm is only better for soloing if you need to land gravity and you can't stun the mob after you nuke it to buy yourself enough time to get sleep out.

BLM gets bind as level 7 derp.
[+]
 Jar
By Jar 2010-12-14 16:42:06
Link | Citer | R

troll thread is lul, ***that's situational is situationaly, Situational. derp
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Serveur: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-12-14 17:22:41
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Rinkydink said:
ive been playing around with /rdm and /sch just for lulz

and tbh.. /rdm is great with what everyone else has said.
however imo /sch gives more reliability

losing fastcast? yes it CAN make a difference if your the only blm and working on speed and crowd control, having said that.. if you know the SCH job well you can pretty much get the Alacrity>spell down to a T.

a lot is preference.. the and then obv.. situational

i do enjoy the +12% movement speed from sandstorm and desert boots tho
and the Max MP boost

losing gravity is harsh, maybe SCH will get b4 lv49

came down to /sch in abyssea, /rdm outside for me
 Ifrit.Jynxy
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2010-12-14 17:43:51
Link | Citer | R

After reading this thread, i find that many people posting in this thread are very narrow minded.

For example, "the ultimate subjob". This phrase in itself is poor. It implies that any subjob, whether /sch or /rdm will provide everything. This is obviously false. What i personally believe people are forgetting is that a great majority of things in ffxi are situational.

I personally did not have /sch leveled prior to this update, but now i do see reason to do so. Using /sch will have its advantages and disadvantages, just as /rdm does. Us blm's are to find the correct situations in which to apply both subjobs.

For example, /sch looks particularly useful in dynamis. We are going to see far more low man dynamis, and giving a single blm the ability to truly provide crowd control in such volume, the sleep-ga line of spells coupled with the ability to AoE break and stun. Also, being able to AoE aspir shows immense promise in mp regaining abilities (for outside abyssea, as obviously mp regaining abilities are far less important in abyssea with the introduction of the atmas).
However, /sch looks particularly weak in NM/HNM solo work. As someone very correctly previously stated, flicking between the arts and by extension stratagems to use spells to their maximum effeciency and as a result the opposite arts take a penalty. And this well sucks, blm's do have to recast stoneskin twice within one minute, it does happen. To me, using sandstorm and desert boots(+1) for movement speed is far too risky in solo work, the chance of it wearing and the time taken to put it back up just seems, well poor.

These are only a very select few points, as i don't particularly want to ramble on forever on a subject which i could potentially write a thousand words on.

In a way, what i'm trying to say, is please, do not look at blm as a job which plays only one specific role, it doesn't matter how much damage your nukes can do if you can't stay alive to use them.

In considering the strengths and weaknesses of a viable sub job for black mage, you need to consider the situations in which you'll be playing and adapt appropriately, as it stands now, no subjob provides everything a black mage needs, ***is situational as always.
[+]
 Bahamut.Britneyspears
By Bahamut.Britneyspears 2010-12-14 17:45:45
Link | Citer | R

i think a lot of people just dont want to level the sch sub job at this point in the game. for the most part /sch is a far superior subjob.

for soloing and outside abyssea /rdm ftw.

for xp situatitions and !! triggering /sch is the best. ur getting lower recast timers as /sch: Dark arts is 10% recast and casting reductions. Rdm is a 7.5% recast reduction 15% casting time reduction.

Ur also getting the MP cost reduction on every blm spell so that pretty much annulls the needs for convert on BLM. especially with Minikin.

Alacrity: especially for those mobs that spam TP moves and ur trying to trigger !! or on log casting time spells Alacrity will help u trigger !! easily.

Enfeebling Magic Level. BLM's enfeebling magic is C or so. Dark arts bring it up to B+ ranking. nice for sleep, bind, break etc..
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-12-14 18:13:10
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Jynxy said:
After reading this thread, i find that many people posting in this thread are very narrow minded.

For example, "the ultimate subjob". This phrase in itself is poor. It implies that any subjob, whether /sch or /rdm will provide everything. This is obviously false. What i personally believe people are forgetting is that a great majority of things in ffxi are situational.

I personally did not have /sch leveled prior to this update, but now i do see reason to do so. Using /sch will have its advantages and disadvantages, just as /rdm does. Us blm's are to find the correct situations in which to apply both subjobs.

For example, /sch looks particularly useful in dynamis. We are going to see far more low man dynamis, and giving a single blm the ability to truly provide crowd control in such volume, the sleep-ga line of spells coupled with the ability to AoE break and stun. Also, being able to AoE aspir shows immense promise in mp regaining abilities (for outside abyssea, as obviously mp regaining abilities are far less important in abyssea with the introduction of the atmas).
However, /sch looks particularly weak in NM/HNM solo work. As someone very correctly previously stated, flicking between the arts and by extension stratagems to use spells to their maximum effeciency and as a result the opposite arts take a penalty. And this well sucks, blm's do have to recast stoneskin twice within one minute, it does happen. To me, using sandstorm and desert boots(+1) for movement speed is far too risky in solo work, the chance of it wearing and the time taken to put it back up just seems, well poor.

These are only a very select few points, as i don't particularly want to ramble on forever on a subject which i could potentially write a thousand words on.

In a way, what i'm trying to say, is please, do not look at blm as a job which plays only one specific role, it doesn't matter how much damage your nukes can do if you can't stay alive to use them.

In considering the strengths and weaknesses of a viable sub job for black mage, you need to consider the situations in which you'll be playing and adapt appropriately, as it stands now, no subjob provides everything a black mage needs, ***is situational as always.

When I read this I imagine that you typed it with your nose held high in the air.

necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [62 days between previous and next post]
 Fairy.Prometheus
Serveur: Fairy
By Fairy.Prometheus 2011-02-14 07:32:17
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eeek said:
Fairy.Prometheus said:
something that seems overlooked: dark arts also boosts enfeebling magic skill. BLM has sleepga II, which is one of the most important crowd control spells and a pro blm will know how to gear to make use of that spell - with dark arts a blm's enfeebling magic gets a huge boost making it even easier to crowd control

Only gimp/HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE BLMs have problems landing Sleepga2 on susceptible mobs. (EDIT: /SCH's real improvement to BLM's crowd control function is the ability to AoE Bind or Break before Sleepga2 wears off on a pack of mobs. AoE Bind/Break makes it a trivial matter to reapply Sleepga1 when the mobs wake.)

There are several pros to subbing SCH, but the boost to enfeebling skill isn't one of them. BLM has access to plenty of good enfeebling gear.

I guess when you get resisted its just not "susceptible."

Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-02-14 07:56:21
Link | Citer | R

While a resist is bad, I'm with Eeek on this one. With a halfway decent Enfeebling setup, your resists will be few and far between anyway.

Don't get me wrong, it's a free +26 accuracy and I love having more accuracy on my Sleeps, but if that 26 skill is the difference between you resisting and not resisting on a regular basis, then you have much bigger issues at hand.

Again, one of the biggest Pro's /SCH offers is Bind/Breakga so keeping things completely sleeplocked is even easier. Other than Manifestation, I'd say Alacrity wins out for -50% cast timers on Sleep/Bind/Break, or -50% recast timer on Stun.

That said though, I don't use /SCH outside stun duty's or rare times my BLM is with more than 2 people.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-14 08:21:53
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
While a resist is bad, I'm with Eeek on this one. With a halfway decent Enfeebling setup, your resists will be few and far between anyway.

Don't get me wrong, it's a free +26 accuracy and I love having more accuracy on my Sleeps, but if that 26 skill is the difference between you resisting and not resisting on a regular basis, then you have much bigger issues at hand.

Again, one of the biggest Pro's /SCH offers is Bind/Breakga so keeping things completely sleeplocked is even easier. Other than Manifestation, I'd say Alacrity wins out for -50% cast timers on Sleep/Bind/Break, or -50% recast timer on Stun.

That said though, I don't use /SCH outside stun duty's or rare times my BLM is with more than 2 people.
hm i wouldn't use alacrity for sleep. 4 sleeps is plenty. never really got to play around with blm/sch and breakga, but aquaveil holds up pretty well for crowd control too (i agree breakga is safer, but aquaveil's good those times you can't /sch). agree with you on everything else.
By Magico 2011-02-14 09:56:53
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Zandra said:
You're not seeing the big picture BLIZ V with ice weather and OBI is an extra 10% onto your nukes... 20% if on Iceday. That's an AUTOMATIC EBULLIENCE buff at the sacrifice of a 7INT belt? Trust me AERO V +20% will compete with BLIZ V. FIRE V +20% will outdo it completely.

situational things are situation, obviously you don't have atma of the beyond and varuna's staff +2 because that's ice damage+60% which is way more than 20%, "outdo" yeah right.

i have 2 characters, one who was made 8 years ago and one who is only a year old, the one who is a year old has a really sucky enfeebling magic skill thanks to abyssea, sub sch fixes that. my GOOD character can sub rdm for gravity, i make the best of both of them

as far as manifestation goes, i have 4 sleepgas so i never have to do that junk, blm blm wanna brenner me?
[+]